ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean and Vanderbilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there is a long thread on the premium board about Crean having interest in the Vandy job. Mentioned by Dakich on his radio show as well. Anybody heard anything on this?
There has already been 2 threads on this board about this and both has been pulled. It came from RR the UK board so I would say there is no truth to it at all. I would not blame CTC for looking elsewhere but I don't think he would leave after this year.

Reactions: davidrdunn
I just don’t see it. I doubt they would be able to pay him more than he is getting here and it does not really seem like that great of a job. He may be doing what coaches do often by showing interest in hopes of getting a big fat raise from IU. Would Fred Glass bite on this? My guess is he would have the extension drafted up within hours.

Just look where the speculation is coming from and until a reliable source says something I won't believe this is a true rumor.
I find it hard to believe any of these rumors . These message board rumors are usually 99% false and never happen. As I stated though I could see crean using it to try and get the extension now!

Reactions: ORG and russelltodd
I just don’t see it. I doubt they would be able to pay him more than he is getting here and it does not really seem like that great of a job. He may be doing what coaches do often by showing interest in hopes of getting a big fat raise from IU. Would Fred Glass bite on this? My guess is he would have the extension drafted up within hours.
CTC is the 8th highest paid coach right now. Number 9 is really crazy tho. Greg Marshall and Wichita St. No wonder he hasn't left yet.

You never have an offseason without speculation at IU. Never!

"Because it's Indiana.......it's Indiana" Quite a selling point. I bet Brad Stevens would LOVE to jump on that bandwagon.

Just look where the speculation is coming from and until a reliable source says something I won't believe this is a true rumor.

This. Yeah, some anonymous poster states he "got word" that Crean is looking to leave and no one questions how he received that information.

Reactions: ORG
This. Yeah, some anonymous poster states he "got word" that Crean is looking to leave and no one questions how he received that information.

Wait what? You say Crean is leaving? I just quoted you on twitter so we're live with this. I'm curious to see who ESPN announces as possible replacements at the top of SportsCenter.

CTC is the 8th highest paid coach right now. Number 9 is really crazy tho. Greg Marshall and Wichita St. No wonder he hasn't left yet.
Crean is not now and will never leave on his own. He has too good of a gig here and makes too much money. No other college is going to pay him what IU does. But he will use other job rumors to try and get an even bigger salary from IU. All coaches do it and he will be no exception.

It's farfetched but not dumb if you know the relationship Crean & Fogler have. Fogler is the one who got IU to take Crean & is now leading the search for Vandy plus they are really good friends.

It's farfetched but not dumb if you know the relationship Crean & Fogler have. Fogler is the one who got IU to take Crean & is now leading the search for Vandy plus they are really good friends.
Vandy is going to pay him more then 3.5 million a year?

Wait a second... You think Vandy can't financially match us? Huh! Two yrs ago I sat at halftime of a home football game where the two week donation drive netted over 10 million. They can match and beat anyone.

There has already been 2 threads on this board about this and both has been pulled. It came from RR the UK board so I would say there is no truth to it at all. I would not blame CTC for looking elsewhere but I don't think he would leave after this year.
There was mention that Vandy was looking at a coach out of the B10. Somehow, Crean got tied to it. If there is a coach that would be wanting to go to Vandy, it would be Ricky Pitino. He has a mess up there and might like the chance to coach against UK.

There was mention that Vandy was looking at a coach out of the B10. Somehow, Crean got tied to it. If there is a coach that would be wanting to go to Vandy, it would be Ricky Pitino. He has a mess up there and might like the chance to coach against UK.
Why would Vandy look at Pitino, maybe they are looking at Painter since their last coach was a PuUalum

Vandy is going to pay him more then 3.5 million a year?
Rumor I heard was Crean was the backup plan but that they had offered Marshall 6 year 24 million. Also Crean knows that if he has a bad year next year he is gone, so why not go get a 5 or 6 year deal at another school. He also knows that most likely TW & TB are gone so we will be down next year.

Rumor I heard was Crean was the backup plan but that they had offered Marshall 6 year 24 million. Also Crean knows that if he has a bad year next year he is gone, so why not go get a 5 or 6 year deal at another school. He also knows that most likely TW & TB are gone so we will be down next year.
I would have a hard time seeing Marshall leave for Vandy and where did you here this rumor

Reactions: Eddie 68
Vandy already told him it was ok if the Harbaugh's joined him on the bench whenever they were in town. So he has that.

If that were to ever happen (which I don't think it will), I would LOVE to see how the IU fans who think IU is the elite of the elite explain this one away. A coach leaves the GREAT and AMAZING Indiana to go to Vanderbuilt. Yet somehow Indiana is such a great program that Phil Jackson is just waiting for a call. smh

Reactions: CC Mac
Where did your friend hear this because it just sounds made up to me.
It might be who knows. But we do know that Eddie Fogler is leading the search. We do know that Fogler & Crean are very close. We do know that Fogler recommended Crean to IU before he got the job.

Why would Vandy look at Pitino, maybe they are looking at Painter since their last coach was a PuUalum
Ricky would have SEC ties and before this season was considered an up and coming coach. He would seem to be a coach in the B10 that would like to step away from his current job. Only Illinois is a bigger mess.

If that were to ever happen (which I don't think it will), I would LOVE to see how the IU fans who think IU is the elite of the elite explain this one away. A coach leaves the GREAT and AMAZING Indiana to go to Vanderbuilt. Yet somehow Indiana is such a great program that Phil Jackson is just waiting for a call. smh
The same reason why Tubby left UK for Minnesota. You leave before you get fired. Get another contract before you lose the current one.

Ricky would have SEC ties and before this season was considered an up and coming coach. He would seem to be a coach in the B10 that would like to step away from his current job. Only Illinois is a bigger mess.
What I am saying is that Pitino is not the kind of coach that Vandy would look at

First off as much as it pains me to say this Crean is not going anywhere. Secondly, the group of people you talk about think sweet sixteens do make IU elite would they would use that argument. Then they would throw the big ten titles out. The definition of what is considered elite at IU for many is not even close to what it used to be.

I would have a hard time seeing Marshall leave for Vandy and where did you here this rumor
This is the perfect time for Marshall to leave. Baker and VanVleet won't be back and NIU may enjoy the role as the best team in the MVC and the automatic bid. Vandy might be a good situation for him, but he should be able to do better.

Crean's only interest would be money. He knows he has at least 2 more years at IU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT