ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean and Vanderbilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the perfect time for Marshall to leave. Baker and VanVleet won't be back and NIU may enjoy the role as the best team in the MVC and the automatic bid. Vandy might be a good situation for him, but he should be able to do better.

Crean's only interest would be money. He knows he has at least 2 more years at IU.
I think if IU would finish 5th or worse in the big ten next year Crean would be gone.

I just don’t see it. I doubt they would be able to pay him more than he is getting here and it does not really seem like that great of a job. He may be doing what coaches do often by showing interest in hopes of getting a big fat raise from IU. Would Fred Glass bite on this? My guess is he would have the extension drafted up within hours.

Well, that's what Painter did to Purdue when Mizzou was interested in hiring him. At the time, the clamor from Boiler faithful was "Give him what he wants!!" This was shortly after the Hummel/Moore era. Burke gave him what he wanted.

Today, it's hard to find too many Purdue fans who enthusiastically support Painter. And he's an alum!

If Vandy offers Crean the job, we should view it as a blessing and a chance to get somebody who can get us to the next level. It gets us off the hook for that ridiculously overlong contract.

Crean's in no position to hold us hostage. If he thinks he is, he's in for a rude awakening.

This is the perfect time for Marshall to leave. Baker and VanVleet won't be back and NIU may enjoy the role as the best team in the MVC and the automatic bid. Vandy might be a good situation for him, but he should be able to do better.

Crean's only interest would be money. He knows he has at least 2 more years at IU.

Marshall just turned down BIG money from Alabama last year -- probably more than we could afford.

I bet he stays put.

As I said crean will look to use these rumors for an extension and a raise from IU. My guess is Fred locks him in for another four to six years at the tune of 4 million plus a year.

Regardless of the opinion of CTC here, certainly he does not believe IU will be losing next year and he will need to find another long term job now. He'll cross that bridge if it needs crossed. Whether it happens or not who knows. Does anybody here think they will below Top 4 or 5 in the conference if Bryant is back.

One interesting side note about Kevin Stallings leaving Vandy for Pitt is that his son is on the 40-man roster for the Pirates. Although he is expected to start the season at Indianapolis it may not be far away to have both father and son in Pittsburgh. Maybe that played a part in the decision by Kevin Stallings.

Regardless of the opinion of CTC here, certainly he does not believe IU will be losing next year and he will need to find another long term job now. He'll cross that bridge if it needs crossed. Whether it happens or not who knows. Does anybody here think they will below Top 4 or 5 in the conference if Bryant is back.
If Bryant is back yes they will be top 3-4

I agree. If next seasons team falls back to middle of the pack and struggles to make or flat out misses the tourney than yes, he will be in trouble.

Reactions: awf
I agree. If next seasons team falls back to middle of the pack and struggles to make or flat out misses the tourney than yes, he will be in trouble.
I would think if Bryant comes back we would be in the top 3 but that also depends who else leaves in the conference. Iowa will be down next year and I could see Maryland losing 2 or 3 early to the draft so they could be down. If Swanigan doesn't come back then PU won't be as good as this year. I thought OSU would be a team that could make a big leap this year but losing 3 players yesterday will make that more difficult. I think MSU and UW will be very good next year but after that I think IU will be right up there with those teams.

Last edited:
I can't give any premium info away, but as the person who actually started the thread in question, I can tell you, this isn't what it was about.
If you brought something to the premie board, surely there's nothing wrong with you bringing the same thing here to the freeloader board.

Reactions: awf
I can't give any premium info away, but as the person who actually started the thread in question, I can tell you, this isn't what it was about.

Is this giving too much away?

74653004067.jpg

If that were to ever happen (which I don't think it will), I would LOVE to see how the IU fans who think IU is the elite of the elite explain this one away. A coach leaves the GREAT and AMAZING Indiana to go to Vanderbuilt. Yet somehow Indiana is such a great program that Phil Jackson is just waiting for a call. smh
Mike Davis did resign ....

Bryant's not going anywhere. He is having too much fun and be said he is staying two years You have to believe what an 18 year old kid tells you, right! Maybe mr priller is leaving. It would stink but it could be his replacement.

Crean is a year to year coach and will be until we make a FF. His seat is still pretty hot. If we end up a bubble team next season and get bounced in the first weekend he's gone. I promise you. He was an inch away from getting shit canned last season.
No he wasn't. Glass loves him and would never fire him. He would of been fired last year if gladd did not have his back.

The same reason why Tubby left UK for Minnesota. You leave before you get fired. Get another contract before you lose the current one.
Right now, his stock is going to be as high as its going to be, barring a FF run. He's the freaking b10 coach of the year, after all. If he is going to make a move, now may be the time. Just like right now may be the time someone like Gregg Marshall may consider moving on, what with FvF and Baker leaving.

And all those articles about how crazed IU fans are never happy? Someone has been running around, talking to the press about it. I wonder who that could be??? Whatever, it's framing an incentive to leave.

Reactions: russelltodd
Crean is a year to year coach and will be until we make a FF. His seat is still pretty hot. If we end up a bubble team next season and get bounced in the first weekend he's gone. I promise you. He was an inch away from getting shit canned last season.
Kidding me. We just made the sweet 16! Didn't you hear that's marvelous at IU?

Ah, you mean, the coach of Minnesota. I really couldn't believe it was in reference to him, considering what this year has been like.
Yeah, I don't know where his name came from, either, but unless Louisville secretly joined the B1G, that has to be the Pitino they were talking about.

I agree with whichever poster said Vandy's probably not interested in him. As far as I can tell from the Vandy fan discussions, he hasn't even come close to hitting Vandy's radar*.

The general consensus seems to be Vandy (like everyone) wants Marshall, they'd be interested in Crean if (when) Marshall says no, and they'll probably end up with McCall or Rice if (when) Crean says no.

*NB: However, Vandy is doing a good job of keeping their cards close to their chest; another benefit of hiring Fogler to head the search. He's good at keeping a secret.

No he wasn't. Glass loves him and would never fire him. He would of been fired last year if gladd did not have his back.

Glass isn't as high on Crean as many believe. Freddie knows he has his dream job, and he's not going to risk losing it over CTC. Most of the high rollers have soured on Crean and want a change. Glass also painted himself into a massive corner with the "deep tourney runs being a regularity" expectation statement. We all know Tom Crean is never going to come anywhere close to achieving that goal. We'll get a change eventually. We just need to be patient.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
Glass isn't as high on Crean as many believe. Freddie knows he has his dream job, and he's not going to risk losing it over CTC. Most of the high rollers have soured on Crean and want a change. Glass also painted himself into a massive corner with the "deep tourney runs being a regularity" expectation statement. We all know Tom Crean is never going to come anywhere close to achieving that goal. We'll get a change eventually. We just need to be patient.
Did that come to you in the middle of the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT