ADVERTISEMENT

To the skunk family that decided...

All4You

Junior
Mar 12, 2007
...to burrow under my foundation, take up residency in my crawlspace and then proceed to spray in said crawlspace @ 2:00 am...filling my entire house with that noxious fecking smell. I hate you...with every fiber of my being. If I could fit into the crawlspace I would come in there and smother you and your bastard children in their sleep. Every time I think I have finally gone nose-blind to it the nauseating smell assaults my senses yet again. I am sure you are down there taunting me, smirking while reading this post, likely pirating my WiFi like the soulless hell-spawns that you are.

You have cost me my sanity (what little was left of it), my peace of mind, my fecking taste buds and olfactory system, what will end up being several hundred dollars to trap, remove and relocate (hopefully, aka put down) along with several dozen hours spent on remediation of that smell under/in my house.

Laugh it up assholes, your lives can now be measured in hours. The garroter comes for you tomorrow, bright and early!

...to burrow under my foundation, take up residency in my crawlspace and then proceed to spray in said crawlspace @ 2:00 am...filling my entire house with that noxious fecking smell. I hate you...with every fiber of my being. If I could fit into the crawlspace I would come in there and smother you and your bastard children in their sleep. Every time I think I have finally gone nose-blind to it the nauseating smell assaults my senses yet again. I am sure you are down there taunting me, smirking while reading this post, likely pirating my WiFi like the soulless hell-spawns that you are.

You have cost me my sanity (what little was left of it), my peace of mind, my fecking taste buds and olfactory system, what will end up being several hundred dollars to trap, remove and relocate (hopefully, aka put down) along with several dozen hours spent on remediation of that smell under/in my house.

Laugh it up assholes, your lives can now be measured in hours. The garroter comes for you tomorrow, bright and early!
that is funny shit

Don't move to Colorado then

Could have been a nest of rattle snakes. This happened to my aunt in Charlotte. She found a nest of the snakes next to her foundation and behind a bush while gardening. I'd of shit myself.

that stinks!

Our dog started barking outside at 3 a.m. and running back and forth at the back fence. She never barks at anything including people or small animals she considers to be a food source.

I ran outside and took a look over our 6' fence. I saw in the dark on the other side of the fence and inches from me the unmistakable white stripe of a skunk trotting along our fence. I grabbed my dog by the collar and took off running. I couldn't believe the skunk didn't spray the dog or me. It must have felt safe outside the fence.

I wouldn't know how to get rid of the smell in a crawl space. First you have to get rid of the critters and how they got in.

Reactions: All4You
Our dog started barking outside at 3 a.m. and running back and forth at the back fence. She never barks at anything including people or small animals she considers to be a food source.

I ran outside and took a look over our 6' fence. I saw in the dark on the other side of the fence and inches from me the unmistakable white stripe of a skunk trotting along our fence. I grabbed my dog by the collar and took off running. I couldn't believe the skunk didn't spray the dog or me. It must have felt safe outside the fence.

I wouldn't know how to get rid of the smell in a crawl space. First you have to get rid of the critters and how they got in.
One fine Sunday morning in the spring years ago, when I was just married for the first time, my then-wife and I were living in a townhouse next to a cornfield in southern Indiana. The fence line was maybe 20 feet from the back door, and the heat pump was located just out in back of the townhouse. Well, the next door neighbors' gay* golden retriever had been let out early - maybe 5:30 am - to do his morning business . . .

. . . I was dead asleep when my then-wife woke me up about 6 am with a loud "Ewwwwww . . . is that YOU?!?" I hadn't the foggiest idea what day it was much less what she was talking about, but upon waking it wasn't hard to miss . . . a horrible smell everywhere in the townhouse. I went downstairs to see what might be going on, and the neighbors were out in back pouring ketchup on their dog. Seems as though the dog had got to barking at the momma skunk living in a burrow along the fence line, and the momma skunk had cornered the dog right in front of our heat pump unit, and took aim . . . and hit the dog briefly, which the neighbors explained was why they were pouring ketchup all over their dog because they'd "heard" that using ketchup was a way to get the skunk smell out . . . but the remainder of the skunk shot ended up hitting the fan (literally, not proverbially) of our heat pump unit . . .

. . . it wasn't the end of the marriage, but it's a pretty good illustration of how things would go . . . .

* I say "gay" because that's what the neighbors called him. Their reasoning - this was 1982, and a general societal understanding of gay rights and gay culture was pretty weak - was that the dog would only hump men's legs and male dogs, never a woman's leg or a female dog . . . I dunno, maybe they were right . . . I dunno.

One fine Sunday morning in the spring years ago, when I was just married for the first time, my then-wife and I were living in a townhouse next to a cornfield in southern Indiana. The fence line was maybe 20 feet from the back door, and the heat pump was located just out in back of the townhouse. Well, the next door neighbors' gay* golden retriever had been let out early - maybe 5:30 am - to do his morning business . . .

. . . I was dead asleep when my then-wife woke me up about 6 am with a loud "Ewwwwww . . . is that YOU?!?" I hadn't the foggiest idea what day it was much less what she was talking about, but upon waking it wasn't hard to miss . . . a horrible smell everywhere in the townhouse. I went downstairs to see what might be going on, and the neighbors were out in back pouring ketchup on their dog. Seems as though the dog had got to barking at the momma skunk living in a burrow along the fence line, and the momma skunk had cornered the dog right in front of our heat pump unit, and took aim . . . and hit the dog briefly, which the neighbors explained was why they were pouring ketchup all over their dog because they'd "heard" that using ketchup was a way to get the skunk smell out . . . but the remainder of the skunk shot ended up hitting the fan (literally, not proverbially) of our heat pump unit . . .

. . . it wasn't the end of the marriage, but it's a pretty good illustration of how things would go . . . .

* I say "gay" because that's what the neighbors called him. Their reasoning - this was 1982, and a general societal understanding of gay rights and gay culture was pretty weak - was that the dog would only hump men's legs and male dogs, never a woman's leg or a female dog . . . I dunno, maybe they were right . . . I dunno.
sounds gay to me...

ketchup?

Diluted bleach or diluted hydrogen peroxide in soapy water is what you need to get rid of the smell. The stench comes from mercaptans (sulfur compounds) and the only way to get rid of them is to oxidize the sulfur to less volatile / less smelly sulfenic acids and sulfonic acids with an oxidizer.

Better living through chemistry....

Reactions: mike41703
ketchup?

Diluted bleach or diluted hydrogen peroxide in soapy water is what you need to get rid of the smell. The stench comes from mercaptans (sulfur compounds) and the only way to get rid of them is to oxidize the sulfur to less volatile / less smelly sulfenic acids and sulfonic acids with an oxidizer.

Better living through chemistry....
Color me impressed if you rattled that off the top of your head.

My mom used several jars of tomato juice she had canned on one of our dogs that had been sprayed. It didn't work that well in my opinion.

We were on vacation out west (Colorado I believe at the time) when we hit a skunk. We decided to stop and stay there while dad tried to remove the smell. We were pulling a camper and decided to spend the night in a hotel because the camper was probably involved with the smell. We stopped at a roadside motel and pulled up outside our room to unload the stuff we would need overnight. People came out of their rooms to see what the smell was before we left with the camper. We ran the car through a car wash several times and realized the skunk had been picked up by the camper tires and lodged in the wheel well.

We hooked the trailer back up and found a truckstop with washing facilities. Dad convinced them to allow us to pull our rig into their facility after removing what was left of the the skunk with a stick. We hit the road the next day with a spotless vehicle and camper with a slight smell of skunk. It was probably worse than we realized. We just got used to it.

My mom used several jars of tomato juice she had canned on one of our dogs that had been sprayed. It didn't work that well in my opinion.

We were on vacation out west (Colorado I believe at the time) when we hit a skunk. We decided to stop and stay there while dad tried to remove the smell. We were pulling a camper and decided to spend the night in a hotel because the camper was probably involved with the smell. We stopped at a roadside motel and pulled up outside our room to unload the stuff we would need overnight. People came out of their rooms to see what the smell was before we left with the camper. We ran the car through a car wash several times and realized the skunk had been picked up by the camper tires and lodged in the wheel well.

We hooked the trailer back up and found a truckstop with washing facilities. Dad convinced them to allow us to pull our rig into their facility after removing what was left of the the skunk with a stick. We hit the road the next day with a spotless vehicle and camper with a slight smell of skunk. It was probably worse than we realized. We just got used to it.

add in a bit about your Dentist friend and the stare you gave the skunk carcass and this is every bit as riveting as any McNutt golf post!

Reactions: iubud and All4You

Probably ten years ago, my wife went to the in laws to can tomato juice. She put 20 mason jars of freshly canned tomato juice in the back of her car and commenced to driving home. Before she made it, she was rear ended by a truck at a stop sign. She wasn’t injured, only dazed, but the tomato juice was obliterated.

When the paramedics got there, they found a dazed woman with a wrecked car, an empty car seat in the back, and a red substance they took for blood absolutely everywhere.

It took her twenty minutes to convince them that the car seat was empty and there wasn’t a severely injured child somewhere nearby.

Probably ten years ago, my wife went to the in laws to can tomato juice. She put 20 mason jars of freshly canned tomato juice in the back of her car and commenced to driving home. Before she made it, she was rear ended by a truck at a stop sign. She wasn’t injured, only dazed, but the tomato juice was obliterated.

When the paramedics got there, they found a dazed woman with a wrecked car, an empty car seat in the back, and a red substance they took for blood absolutely everywhere.

It took her twenty minutes to convince them that the car seat was empty and there wasn’t a severely injured child somewhere nearby.
She should have stuck her finger in it, licked it and said "my favorite flavor, A+!"

Burn your house down and rebuild and fry those little bastards in the process..

How much tomato juice you gonna need for your house?

Reactions: kkott

So, wtf happened?

So, wtf happened?

I regret to inform you that the skunks escaped the noose. They must have vacated the premises on their own, as we have had traps out since Tuesday and we have only managed to catch a juvenile possum. On a positive note, with a bit of hillbilly ingenuity (think using a shop fan then a leaf blower to blow baking soda based arm and hammer carpet powder into the crawl space in every direction) and elbow grease deep cleaning the inside of the house (the same carpet cleaner, orange glow, Lysol cleaner and Clorox) the smell has mostly dissipated. We are giving the traps one more go tonight just in case. Tomorrow I will be filling in the burrow with mesh rebar and Quickrete, and then also trenching and mesh fencing the bottom of my storage shed to keep critters out for good.

Last summer I house/dog sat for my sister while she and her family went on vacation. During that time, the dog encountered a skunk. When I brought her in the house after going out in the fenced back yard one evening to relieve herself, I immediately smelled the offense. I took the dog to the bathtub and bathed her. Over this course of time, I guess my own olfactory senses were dulled, because I wasn't smelling it on her much after the bath. We went on for the next few days before my sister returned home.

Immediately upon walking in the house, my sister asked if we had a skunk situation. I said, yeah, I thought I got it washed out. She said, no, it's strong. Took the dog to the groomers, they trimmed her close, gave her special shampoo to use, etc., and it's taken months to get that out of the dog's system.

My main point is, I was surprised that my own olfactory senses were dulled after a while, and I didn't pick up on how badly the dog still smelled.

How do you know the skunk babies were born out of wedlock? Seems like an unfair assumption made by you.

About a year ago my wife left a bag of trash in the garage without putting it in the trash can. Then I left the garage door open after dark and some skunks wandered in there and got into the trash making a huge mess. I cleaned it up the next morning but they came back that night somehow. I opened the door going from the house to the garage and saw the huge mother skunk. I let it out and watched it scamper out the door. Then we saw a few more outside the garage. But the next morning the garage was filled with skunk crap. Couldn't tell how they were getting in and out but we freaked out and called some exterminators. They cleaned up the garage thankfully and trapped for a few weeks catching the mother, four smaller skunks, a racoon and a cat. Finally figured out they had chewed thru the hard rubber lip at the bottom of the garage door. We spent about $1K for the trapping and cleanup but so far so good. We may have just done nothing and maybe they would have left on their own but we were freaking out thinking they were going to get in the house someway. All that because we left one bag of trash outside the trash can. The only thing worse than the skunk smell is the smell of a garage filled with skunk crap. I would have paid them that much for the cleanup itself.

Reactions: All4You and cryano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT