ADVERTISEMENT

TJD

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
I’m sure I just missed it, but doesn’t seem that there has been much talk about the play of TJD in the BTT. Yes, a light bulb went on with the team. Yes, there has been great contributions from many. Yes, coaching deserves credit.

Still, what he did battling against some of the best in the country has been astounding. He didn’t deserve to be first team conference going into the tournament, but he has shown people (including NBA scouts), someone that is as good as any conference player.

he was aggressive, but more importantly DECISIVE. As a player his strength is his quickness and when he gets the ball and immediately makes a move to score it’s really difficult to defend.

If he plays that way in the NCAAs, I like our chances against almost any team.

I’m sure I just missed it, but doesn’t seem that there has been much talk about the play of TJD in the BTT. Yes, a light bulb went on with the team. Yes, there has been great contributions from many. Yes, coaching deserves credit.

Still, what he did battling against some of the best in the country has been astounding. He didn’t deserve to be first team conference going into the tournament, but he has shown people (including NBA scouts), someone that is as good as any conference player.

he was aggressive, but more importantly DECISIVE. As a player his strength is his quickness and when he gets the ball and immediately makes a move to score it’s really difficult to defend.

I kind of thought Xavier Johnson was the difference maker. Seems this team goes as Xavier does. Now trayce benefits from it.

The NIL money will be there to keep him in Bloomington.

Do you understand how important it is to IU to have him back next year? His NIL deal will be sweet.
No, I understand and agree that iu has the potential to be pretty good next year with him returning, but I also know TJD is getting to that point where he will fall in the draft because of age. That's why I've always assumed he would go. If he's a fringe 1st rounder, the long term contract is likely more than NIL.

No, I understand and agree that iu has the potential to be pretty good next year with him returning, but I also know TJD is getting to that point where he will fall in the draft because of age. That's why I've always assumed he would go. If he's a fringe 1st rounder, the long term contract is likely more than NIL.
He’s not a fringe first rounder.

His value to IU for next season is ridiculous. He will be well compensated for his loyalty.

ESPN has him listed as the #75 prospect and only 17th in his own position. He needs to shoot more mid-range jump shots and until he does, NBA projections will isolate him to an undersized 5. I would like to see him come back and focus on that next season.

2022 NBA Draft Rankings

Part of me says he's gone.
Part of me says he stays. And does get a better jumper ..Like the one he hit against Michigan..
Tyler Zeller came back his senior yr..Was the ACC player of the yr..Then was drafted 17 th.

Reactions: kkott
ESPN has him listed as the #75 prospect and only 17th in his own position. He needs to shoot more mid-range jump shots and until he does, NBA projections will isolate him to an undersized 5. I would like to see him come back and focus on that next season.

2022 NBA Draft Rankings
Everyone has known that's what he needs since after his freshman season. I'm sure Woodson used that as part of his recruiting pitch to get him to come back this year. I'd go even further, and venture that they worked on having him outside more quite a lot in preseason workouts, early practices, etc... But then the games started, and "reality gravity" pulled him back down low, where he has stayed all year.

I don't see any reason why Woodson or TJD would think that anything would change that if he came back for another year.

He won't be back. He's better off declaring. Getting drafted in the 2nd round. Going and playing all summer with Pro's...and either grinding and making his way on an NBA roster, or developing NBA essential skills in the G League.

If his primary goal is still the NBA, this is the path he will take, as its the best path to sticking in the NBA as soon as possible.

Everyone has known that's what he needs since after his freshman season. I'm sure Woodson used that as part of his recruiting pitch to get him to come back this year. I'd go even further, and venture that they worked on having him outside more quite a lot in preseason workouts, early practices, etc... But then the games started, and "reality gravity" pulled him back down low, where he has stayed all year.

I don't see any reason why Woodson or TJD would think that anything would change that if he came back for another year.

He won't be back. He's better off declaring. Getting drafted in the 2nd round. Going and playing all summer with Pro's...and either grinding and making his way on an NBA roster, or developing NBA essential skills in the G League.

If his primary goal is still the NBA, this is the path he will take, as its the best path to sticking in the NBA as soon as possible.
Woodson has stated over and over TJD has the green light(last week twice). Hits tons of shots in practice. He just won’t take them. He’s got nice form. It’s a confidence issue.

2022 NBA Draft Rankings
He can't make the mid range jumper!

He has multiple coaches and a Father that are expert in what it takes to make a roster and I would expect him to seek some additional counsel before making a decision. He is a tweener in size but has exceptional athleticism and a mid range shot can be developed.

There are obviously NIL deals and no shortage of alumni stroke at IU but I suspect he goes.

Why are you so confident that is the right choice? With NIL money, its not a money thing. If he is going to go to the G League, than why not go after next year? To me, the logic you are using is outdated.

If his primary goal is to get to the NBA, its not about throwing yourself out into the wild sooner. Its about getting better at his jump shot. If he practiced that for 3 months, that is not nearly enough time. If he practices for a year, that very well could be enough time. So comparing what he did this past summer vs what he could be doing for much longer doesn't align.

I think he goes if he has a good NCAA. He had a great B1G and played like he should for 3 games. If he continues to play at a high level and we make it to sweet 16, I'd say he's gone. Just speculation. No inside info. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: .Gerdis
I think he goes if he has a good NCAA. He had a great B1G and played like he should for 3 games. If he continues to play at a high level and we make it to sweet 16, I'd say he's gone. Just speculation. No inside info. Go Hoosiers!
It felt (to me) like he had something to prove to the scouts at the BTT. Especially considering who he was playing against and their NBA draftability hype.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
I’d hopefully expect him back next season and he could tweak a few things and have a Juwan Morgan type nba career.

I suspect it's not an accident he's playing well, including scoring with his right hand and shooting jumpers. He's in the spotlight with something to prove. I look for him to have a great tournament and leave for greener pastures.

I suspect it's not an accident he's playing well, including scoring with his right hand and shooting jumpers. He's in the spotlight with something to prove. I look for him to have a great tournament and leave for greener pastures.
I think you guys are about to witness what NIL can really mean. TJD is worth A LOT more to IU than any professional organization. This is Kofi Cockburn x10.

TJD played incredibly well in the Big Ten Tournament.

And, so did Xavier Johnson, especially in tandem with TJD. Both were fricking amazing.

As an expert friend of mine once told me: In college basketball, the big guys don't have much to do unless their point guards are good, too.

By analogy, who the hell would Gronkowski be without Tom Brady? It takes two in football, too.

TJD played incredibly well in the Big Ten Tournament.

And, so did Xavier Johnson, especially in tandem with TJD. Both were fricking amazing.

As an expert friend of mine once told me: In college basketball, the big guys don't have much to do unless their point guards are good, too.

By analogy, who the hell would Gronkowski be without Tom Brady? It takes two in football, too.
Yep, and an offensive line, VBG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT