ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Fred Glass

I wouldn't be surprised if the timing of these firings don't start to move up. IU is playing with house money now days because of the network contracts. It's around 38-40mil per year, that's too much money to just sit idle and allow a coach to fumble around for much more than two or three years.

Good coaches win, they don't need four years of 5-7 football to finally deliver a bowl season in year five. I'm not down on Allen and I'm not pushing for change. I do think he needs to bowl this year though. There's a lot of very legit talent on this team. If he misses a bowl this year, it's very likely he'll miss next year, too. I don't think he can survive two years of no bowls.

I wouldn't be surprised if the timing of these firings don't start to move up. IU is playing with house money now days because of the network contracts. It's around 38-40mil per year, that's too much money to just sit idle and allow a coach to fumble around for much more than two or three years.

Good coaches win, they don't need four years of 5-7 football to finally deliver a bowl season in year five. I'm not down on Allen and I'm not pushing for change. I do think he needs to bowl this year though. There's a lot of very legit talent on this team. If he misses a bowl this year, it's very likely he'll miss next year, too. I don't think he can survive two years of no bowls.

Allen's job security isn't contingent upon the team making a bowl this season. He's not (and shouldn't be) on any kind of a hot seat this year or next.

That said, it would be great for team (and fan) morale if we go bowling this year, and it would certainly be a boost for recruiting. Saturday's loss, though, was a setback, and I'd put our chances for postseason play at no better than 50-50. We'll see what this team is made of over the next few weeks, and how it's able to manage what seems to be an inordinate number of injuries.

Finally, I don't understand your assumption that missing out on a bowl this year makes it unlikely that we'll play in one next year. It's way too early to project what this team will be capable of next season.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I did not see the article but according to what I’m told, Glass makes more than the coaches... what P5 schools is that true? I’m asking as a question so no need to pounce ... but if true it is .... priorities may be off

It isn't true.

He made two bad hires in football, which is the most important sport from a financial perspective. The guy doesn't understand sports. An AD needs to be judged by wins and losses and Glass has failed in that area.

He made one bad hire. As soon as Wilson got hired, there were stories out about his personal behavior. I remember reading the Northwestern Rivals board at the time, and there was plenty of talk about him being a dick as a human being. And this after he served as a very successful OC at the school. In political jargon, he wasn't properly "vetted". One wonders what these BS search firms are being paid for.

The Allen hire was a no-brainer. We couldn't afford to completely start over. Whether it eventually works out remains to be seen, and I agree its not looking good right now, but there were a lot of reasons to think it was good hire at the time.

I like Glass, Miller and Allen. I love the changes to the football stadium and Assembly Hall and all the athletic facilities. I love the hire of Miller and I think the Allen hire was a very good one. I enjoy watching a football team with a good defense for a change. IU didn't break through with a win against Michigan or MSU but had a shot at winning both. Both of those teams were counted as losses by most of us before the season started but we were competitive. Most of probably counted Maryland as a win before the season but we have to play the game and it was a good one except for losing it. I like the direction of the football program. The recruiting hasn't fallen off with Allen and it might be much better. If the team still doesn't break through with 7 or 8 wins in each of the next two seasons than we'll have to start looking at a new coach. Firing Allen now would truly be a stupid move and set this program back years. Notice we have a top soccer program too! ;)

I like Glass, Miller and Allen. I love the changes to the football stadium and Assembly Hall and all the athletic facilities. I love the hire of Miller and I think the Allen hire was a very good one. I enjoy watching a football team with a good defense for a change. IU didn't break through with a win against Michigan or MSU but had a shot at winning both. Both of those teams were counted as losses by most of us before the season started but we were competitive. Most of probably counted Maryland as a win before the season but we have to play the game and it was a good one except for losing it. I like the direction of the football program. The recruiting hasn't fallen off with Allen and it might be much better. If the team still doesn't break through with 7 or 8 wins in each of the next two seasons than we'll have to start looking at a new coach. Firing Allen now would truly be a stupid move and set this program back years. Notice we have a top soccer program too! ;)
Maryland just hung 42 on that "good defense" with a 3rd string QB. Allen has been the beneficiary of the most talented, experienced defensive roster we've had in decades the last 2 years. Wait until all of these seniors on the defense leave. If we don't make a change quickly, it's going to get real ugly around Bloomington again on fall Saturday's.

Not sure this is the correct thread for my take, but here it is: It appears some fans (I include myself) are upset for some, or all, of the following reasons: 1) They are fans of KW and where he had taken the program (no we were not an elite program, but appeared to be improving and had made it to two bowls and were competitive in both), 2) they find the process of the "resignation" and immediate hiring of CTA as permanent head coach questionable (meet with KW at 8:30 and hire CTA as permanent head coach at 10:00, without a national search), 3) they have concerns whether a guy who has been a coordinator at a major program for only 2 years is ready to be a Big Ten head coach, and 4) the #breakthrough motto of this year, which set many expectations of fans, as well as players.

I believe these reasons, taken together, may be why some are less willing to be patient and accept little to no improvement in this year's team performance. When you look at who ultimately makes the decisions as to the above issues, it is the AD and administration. I will give CTA time (as if I have any real choice) and hope he ultimately succeeds. That would be outstanding. However, I will not attack, scold or condemn as uninformed or lacking as an IU fan, those who are frustrated with AD or the football program for one, or all, of the above reasons.

Three wins in the next four games would go a long way to calm the restless. That would get us to a bowl and winning it could be said to be the #Breakthrough. My heart says three wins to come, my head says two at best.

Maryland just hung 42 on that "good defense" with a 3rd string QB. Allen has been the beneficiary of the most talented, experienced defensive roster we've had in decades the last 2 years. Wait until all of these seniors on the defense leave. If we don't make a change quickly, it's going to get real ugly around Bloomington again on fall Saturday's.
You understand one TD was a blocked punt and two others they went less than 20 yards due to an interception and KO return, right ? The defense wasn’t as aggressive as it had been due to the speed and playmaking abilities of Maryland’s skill players, but the defense gave up 345 in total offense, not great, but not horrible. That “3rd” string QB has now played multiple games and is far from helpless.
You can flap your lips all you want , but there will not be a “change” made quickly, nor would any rational person believe there should be.
And forgot to add, before Allen arrived in 2015, your favorite CKW, had the defensive roster you’re referring to ranked 12th in scoring defense and 14th in total defense in the Big Ten.

Allen has been the beneficiary of the most talented, experienced defensive roster we've had in decades the last 2 years.
"Beneficiary" my ass. I guess he got lucky with great timing at USF as well.

No, he's been the architect of two impressive defensive rebuilds at two colleges.

If you want to argue that he shouldn't have been hired as the HC, that's one thing. But to claim that he simply stepped into an amazing defensive talent pool is just nonsensical.

You understand one TD was a blocked punt and two others they went less than 20 yards due to an interception and KO return, right ? The defense wasn’t as aggressive as it had been due to the speed and playmaking abilities of Maryland’s skill players, but the defense gave up 345 in total offense, not great, but not horrible. That “3rd” string QB has now played multiple games and is far from helpless.
You can flap your lips all you want , but there will not be a “change” made quickly, nor would any rational person believe there should be.
And forgot to add, before Allen arrived in 2015, your favorite CKW, had the defensive roster you’re referring to ranked 12th in scoring defense and 14th in total defense in the Big Ten.
Amount of points Maryland has scored with that QB the past 5 games before playing IU: 13, 21, 14, 24, 10. And they hung 42 on us.

Certainly the D got put in some short field positions but that happens nearly every game. Good defenses hold for a FG.

Allen was the beneficiary of having a talented, experience roster when he started. That 2015 roster was these guys as sophomores. Wait until he loses Wilson's recruits. It's time to correct this mistake.

"Beneficiary" my ass. I guess he got lucky with great timing at USF as well.

No, he's been the architect of two impressive defensive rebuilds at two colleges.

If you want to argue that he shouldn't have been hired as the HC, that's one thing. But to claim that he simply stepped into an amazing defensive talent pool is just nonsensical.
He definitely deserves credit as a DC but the guy didn't just turn the D around on his own. We've had as much talent on D the last couple years as we've had in decades. And those players weren't recruited by Allen. So I give him credit for improving the system, but it wasn't all him. And this HC experiment looks more and more like a debacle every week.

Reactions: IUgradman
Amount of points Maryland has scored with that QB the past 5 games before playing IU: 13, 21, 14, 24, 10. And they hung 42 on us.

Certainly the D got put in some short field positions but that happens nearly every game. Good defenses hold for a FG.

Allen was the beneficiary of having a talented, experience roster when he started. That 2015 roster was these guys as sophomores. Wait until he loses Wilson's recruits. It's time to correct this mistake.
Uh no, they scored 31 in a win at Minnesota, the rest of your totals are correct against OSU, NW and UW and UCF (undefeated #15), so their competition hasn’t been too shabby.
You are kidding yourself if you think Allen inherited a “talented, experienced “ roster, he took basically the same roster from 2015 and greatly improved the defense in 2016. Does this team have a lot of room for improvement, you bet, but it is odd that you seem afraid to even give CTA a fair chance. Calling for a change at this point is beyond dumb.

He definitely deserves credit as a DC but the guy didn't just turn the D around on his own. We've had as much talent on D the last couple years as we've had in decades. And those players weren't recruited by Allen. So I give him credit for improving the system, but it wasn't all him. And this HC experiment looks more and more like a debacle every week.
In year one, Wilson went 1-11 after inheriting a team that barely missed a bowl the year before. So, if this year is on Allen, that year is on Wilson, right ? In year 4, we pissed away a bowl game with the dumbest play call in IU football history on the lateral vs. Minny. In year 5, we blew a 25-point lead in the 4th quarter against the worst team in the B1G at home. We weren't exactly world beaters even at the end of KW's term. And had it not been for the conduct issues, it would have been a mistake to fire Wilson.

Frequent coaching turnover is a surefire path to losing. You lose entire recruiting classes, you divide your fanbase, you scare off potential applicants, you bleed fan and financial support. Firing a coach after one year is insane. Given the unique challenges this season has presented, nobody in his right mind would suggest that IU trash any progress made in the past seven years and blow up the football program.

Yeah, I played on a good defense that gave up about 10 points a game but gave up 40+ once also. Even good defenses have bad games. IU's defense is far better this year and last year than it has been in many years and Allen deserves most of the credit for that. Firing Allen would destroy the program for the immediate future and put us back many years. Can't support that.

LOL.

In year one, Wilson went 1-11 after inheriting a team that barely missed a bowl the year before. So, if this year is on Allen, that year is on Wilson, right ? In year 4, we pissed away a bowl game with the dumbest play call in IU football history on the lateral vs. Minny. In year 5, we blew a 25-point lead in the 4th quarter against the worst team in the B1G at home. We weren't exactly world beaters even at the end of KW's term. And had it not been for the conduct issues, it would have been a mistake to fire Wilson.

Frequent coaching turnover is a surefire path to losing. You lose entire recruiting classes, you divide your fanbase, you scare off potential applicants, you bleed fan and financial support. Firing a coach after one year is insane. Given the unique challenges this season has presented, nobody in his right mind would suggest that IU trash any progress made in the past seven years and blow up the football program.
Are you referring to that 2010 team that finished dead last in the Big Ten at 1-7? Surely you're remembering wrong. Are you comparing this roster to the one Wilson inherited? In no way did I think Wilson was an elite coach but he did a good job from where he started.

This year we returned something like 16 starters (almost the entire defense) off a 6-6 team that went head to head with top 25 Utah in the bowl game. Including our returning senior QB. This is a very good roster by IU standards. And we're soon to be 0-6 in the Big Ten. Excuse me for not being impressed.

Yeah, I played on a good defense that gave up about 10 points a game but gave up 40+ once also. Even good defenses have bad games. IU's defense is far better this year and last year than it has been in many years and Allen deserves most of the credit for that. Firing Allen would destroy the program for the immediate future and put us back many years. Can't support that.
Firing Wilson just because we were afraid to lose Allen set us back many years. Correcting the mistake would save us some of those set back years IMO. I don't expect it to happen but when we look back it'll likely be what we should've done.

Firing Wilson just because we were afraid to lose Allen set us back many years. Correcting the mistake would save us some of those set back years IMO. I don't expect it to happen but when we look back it'll likely be what we should've done.
I've never heard that before. But regardless of that since Wilson was fired I think Allen was a good choice to replace him. If we suck in two years I'll change my mind.

I don't think I agree with that.

Neither do I. Some home computer jocks are really almost amusing to see what they come up with as if they are in a position to truly judge.

Allen is doing fine and not shying from adversity. Glass has made in my mind two fine new hires in Allen/Miller and they both deserve more than 3/4 of one season to be judged, including no recruiting seasons of their own yet.

Be positive people!

Reactions: 76-1
The Raiders fired Bill Musgrave after having the #5 offense in 2016, only to replace him with the QB coach they were scared to lose. He currently orchestrates the #29 offense in the NFL.

This is what happens when you make gut decisions over statistics.

Glass is in over his head. Archie Miller basically fell into his lap.

Are you referring to that 2010 team that finished dead last in the Big Ten at 1-7? Surely you're remembering wrong. Are you comparing this roster to the one Wilson inherited? In no way did I think Wilson was an elite coach but he did a good job from where he started.

This year we returned something like 16 starters (almost the entire defense) off a 6-6 team that went head to head with top 25 Utah in the bowl game. Including our returning senior QB. This is a very good roster by IU standards. And we're soon to be 0-6 in the Big Ten. Excuse me for not being impressed.
And four years into his tenure Wilson was 1-7 in conference, lost 8 overall and generally got drubbed by the big boys in the conference. Even in our first bowl season the next year we were 2-6 in the B1G.

For what it's worth, I believe that despite those numbers KW was moving the program forward. What he was doing on the field was certainly not deserving of being fired. But I have no knowledge of his off-field conduct and I have no reason to suspect that he was unjustly dismissed. What I don't get is why you are so determined that after 8 games - with the most difficult schedule I ever remember an IU team facing - that Allen can't get the job done and needs to go. Why isn't he entitled to a fraction of the time Wilson was given

Your loathing for Allen and Glass feels a lot more personal than just about wins and losses this season. We still have an opportunity to make a bowl this season. It feels very much like you are hoping we do not so you can feel vindicated. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
And four years into his tenure Wilson was 1-7 in conference, lost 8 overall and generally got drubbed by the big boys in the conference. Even in our first bowl season the next year we were 2-6 in the B1G.

For what it's worth, I believe that despite those numbers KW was moving the program forward. What he was doing on the field was certainly not deserving of being fired. But I have no knowledge of his off-field conduct and I have no reason to suspect that he was unjustly dismissed. What I don't get is why you are so determined that after 8 games - with the most difficult schedule I ever remember an IU team facing - that Allen can't get the job done and needs to go. Why isn't he entitled to a fraction of the time Wilson was given

Your loathing for Allen and Glass feels a lot more personal than just about wins and losses this season. We still have an opportunity to make a bowl this season. It feels very much like you are hoping we do not so you can feel vindicated. I hope I'm wrong about that.
Glass is way over his head. I think most people recognize that his lack of experience is what leads to the Wilson and Allen mishaps, and he's very much in need of supervision.. That said, Allen isn't going anywhere, and neither is Glass. Whatever becomes of IU football in the near term, Allen and Glass will be the main guys responsible for it.

Baker & Daniels (Now Faegre Baker) did produce both AD's for ND and IU. The base salary figure does NOT take into account all the other income the two big coaches make. And if IU had won the 3 games this year they could have (2 Michigan & MD games) people would be saying Glass' hire of Allen was inspired.

Give it a rest and give it some time. Allen is a winner.

Winner, winner ... chicken dinner!

They went 5-7 in 10’ and almost beat Iowa and Michigan. Were two plays away from going 7-5, and then the following year went 1-11. So I don’t think that Wilson had an empty roster when he came in. Some of his best players were off of that roster and Lynch’s last recruiting class. I’m not saying we should’ve kept lynch by any stretch, but to say Wilson should’ve gone 1-11 with that squad is a stretch in my opinion.

Glass is way over his head. I think most people recognize that his lack of experience is what leads to the Wilson and Allen mishaps, and he's very much in need of supervision.. That said, Allen isn't going anywhere, and neither is Glass. Whatever becomes of IU football in the near term, Allen and Glass will be the main guys responsible for it.
How many different times and ways are you going to say the same thing? And unless your name is Gallup (perhaps something to consider for your next user name), it's ridiculous to make claims about what "most people" think.

Oh, I recognize that some people are easily assuaged by capital projects and a breezy style, but Glass's results speak for themselves.

Put another way, what other Power 5 school would've dared to hire such a lightly qualified person to serve as their Athletic Director, and what other Power 5 school would tolerate such modest results? That's the crock of shit that you can't hope to satisfactorily explain or rationalize.
Well, like it or not, here is the official explanation/rationalization:

"Glass played a central role in several major sports-related initiatives in Indianapolis, including negotiating the 30-year agreement to keep the Colts in Indianapolis, developing Lucas Oil Stadium and an expanded Indiana Convention Center, and helping to negotiate the arrangement to regularly bring Final Fours and other major NCAA events to the city. Formerly a partner in the law firm of Baker & Daniels, Glass served as chairman of the firm’s management committee and as the volunteer president of the city’s Capital Improvement Board. Glass also has served as Chief of Staff to then Governor Evan Bayh, Chairman of then Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson’s transition team, and in a number of other civic, legal, and sports related positions. Glass also served as president of the City of Indianapolis’ 2011 Super Bowl Bid Committee, which although not successful for that year, has been credited with successfully laying the groundwork for the city’s successful bid for 2012.

Upon his appointment of Glass, Indiana University President Michael McRobbie said, 'In all of these major undertakings, Fred demonstrated a remarkable talent for leadership, for mastering the details of big challenges, for diplomacy, and for consensus building. He has a well-earned reputation as someone who can get the big things done. He is exactly the person we need to take on the challenges our Athletics Department will encounter in the next decade.' Tony Dungy added: 'I worked very closely with Fred on the Super Bowl effort, and I was very impressed with his vision, leadership and judgment. Indiana University has made an outstanding choice.'"

And he is a double IU grad who has sent his children to the university.
Who else out there at the time had this kind of background and was open to coming to IU?

Well, like it or not, here is the official explanation/rationalization:

"Glass played a central role in several major sports-related initiatives in Indianapolis, including negotiating the 30-year agreement to keep the Colts in Indianapolis, developing Lucas Oil Stadium and an expanded Indiana Convention Center, and helping to negotiate the arrangement to regularly bring Final Fours and other major NCAA events to the city. Formerly a partner in the law firm of Baker & Daniels, Glass served as chairman of the firm’s management committee and as the volunteer president of the city’s Capital Improvement Board. Glass also has served as Chief of Staff to then Governor Evan Bayh, Chairman of then Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson’s transition team, and in a number of other civic, legal, and sports related positions. Glass also served as president of the City of Indianapolis’ 2011 Super Bowl Bid Committee, which although not successful for that year, has been credited with successfully laying the groundwork for the city’s successful bid for 2012.

Upon his appointment of Glass, Indiana University President Michael McRobbie said, 'In all of these major undertakings, Fred demonstrated a remarkable talent for leadership, for mastering the details of big challenges, for diplomacy, and for consensus building. He has a well-earned reputation as someone who can get the big things done. He is exactly the person we need to take on the challenges our Athletics Department will encounter in the next decade.' Tony Dungy added: 'I worked very closely with Fred on the Super Bowl effort, and I was very impressed with his vision, leadership and judgment. Indiana University has made an outstanding choice.'"

And he is a double IU grad who has sent his children to the university.
Who else out there at the time had this kind of background and was open to coming to IU?
The background and experience required of an AD today is vastly different from 20 years ago, when the job was often a reward for a good coach who got tired of coaching. And the demands in 2017 are significantly greater than in years past. ADs today are essentially CEOs, responsible for enormous budgets, and with a variety of stakeholder interests. They benefit from a working knowledge of (or the ability to quickly learn) finance, fundraising, legal, ethics and compliance issues. They need excellent organizational, communications and marketing skills as well. Glass appears to fit the bill in these areas.

No, he doesn't get a pass on his hires, as that's a critically important component of the job. But Miller has yet to coach a game and Allen is only eight games in so, as someone else said, the jury is out (and will remain out for some time) in this regard.

The background and experience required of an AD today is vastly different from 20 years ago, when the job was often a reward for a good coach who got tired of coaching. And the demands in 2017 are significantly greater than in years past. ADs today are essentially CEOs, responsible for enormous budgets, and with a variety of stakeholder interests. They benefit from a working knowledge of (or the ability to quickly learn) finance, fundraising, legal, ethics and compliance issues. They need excellent organizational, communications and marketing skills as well. Glass appears to fit the bill in these areas.

No, he doesn't get a pass on his hires, as that's a critically important component of the job. But Miller has yet to coach a game and Allen is only eight games in so, as someone else said, the jury is out (and will remain out for some time) in this regard.
There are two kinds of people who want Fred Glass fired: Those who think coaching is the sole reason a team wins or loses every game, and those who don't like his politics. For some, it's both. Neither kind is worth paying attention to.

Reactions: Thomtar
Many forget the (fill in the worst adjective you can think of that applies here) history of IU's AD leadership starting with Doninger (1991-2004), McNeely (legend in his own mind), Clapacs and then Greenspan.

Fred's well on his way to getting his own statute when compared to that group above (I suggest he pick a prominent bench somewhere on campus to go publicly drink a cup of coffee daily [if you pretend to have a cigar too the birds will have a nice future place to perch](make sure the sun hits your good side Fred ;)).

///Caveat: If the Athletic Department ever pulls another screw up like what recently happened to Fitzgerald I'll be the first guy at the local rail storage depot to find something to strap him to for his ride out of town///

There are two kinds of people who want Fred Glass fired: Those who think coaching is the sole reason a team wins or loses every game, and those who don't like his politics. For some, it's both. Neither kind is worth paying attention to.
Serious question. Why do people keep mentioning his politics? I've never heard anything about this. And I have no idea which way he leans or why you/others keep mentioning it.

And yes, coaching ultimately determines outcomes in college. Not on a game by game basis but when looking at the big picture it does. Because players are the result of the coach. This isn't the pros where you have a separate GM. In college the coach is the GM and HC. Everything, good or bad, falls on their shoulders.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I don't have a clue what his politics are and don't know why I would care.

Serious question. Why do people keep mentioning his politics? I've never heard anything about this. And I have no idea which way he leans or why you/others keep mentioning it.

And yes, coaching ultimately determines outcomes in college. Not on a game by game basis but when looking at the big picture it does. Because players are the result of the coach. This isn't the pros where you have a separate GM. In college the coach is the GM and HC. Everything, good or bad, falls on their shoulders.
Fair enough. Then why are you so generous with Kevin Wilson, who couldn't finish at .500 in six years at the helm, and yet you want Tom Allen fired eight game into his career ? Why the double standard ? I'm not knocking KW here because I am fully aware of the challenges associated with coaching football at IU.

Tom Allen was initially hired to IU to fix one of the worst defenses in all of college football. Only a fool would suggest that he did not succeed above and beyond what was expected. What would suggest that he cannot move the overall program forward. He inherited a team with a young, inexperienced offensive line that has proven to be 90% of our offensive problem. His choices at quarterback are an inexperienced rs freshman who can avoid a pass rush but has physical limitations throwing the football or an experienced but immobile guy who is prone to sacks and inaccuracy (often resulting in interceptions).

We have been plagued by more injuries than usually occur in two seasons, and have lost to four teams ranked in the top ten in the country at one point or another this season. Excluding Maryland, the combined record of those we have lost to is 26 - 6. All I'm suggesting is that you give the guy a reasonable chance before pronouncing him unfit for the job.

Reactions: 76-1 and JohnsyRick
He made one bad hire. As soon as Wilson got hired, there were stories out about his personal behavior. I remember reading the Northwestern Rivals board at the time, and there was plenty of talk about him being a dick as a human being. And this after he served as a very successful OC at the school. In political jargon, he wasn't properly "vetted". One wonders what these BS search firms are being paid for.

The Allen hire was a no-brainer. We couldn't afford to completely start over. Whether it eventually works out remains to be seen, and I agree its not looking good right now, but there were a lot of reasons to think it was good hire at the time.
You say we aren’t starting over, and that’s what I initially thought. I thought this year would build on last year, and we would go 7-5. Allen changed the team philosophy, pulled the starting quarterback, and is bringing up guys for the future. This is not the same team. I think Allen’s philosophy is better for winning consistently in the Big Ten. However, Saturday showed that Allen is going to need a year or two to get his guys up to speed. At best, it’s looking like one step back to go two steps forward.

The Wilson versus Allen questions just got more intriguing this weekend. As our defense was rolling over to Maryland, Wilson was hanging 39 on Penn State and on his way to the college football playoff. Allen has his work cut out for him. If he blows this season and misses a bowl then only a top 30 recruiting class will justify Fred Glass’s decision. If he can’t do either, then Glass just got a different coach rather than actually moving the needle.

The Wilson versus Allen questions just got more intriguing this weekend. As our defense was rolling over to Maryland, Wilson was hanging 39 on Penn State and on his way to the college football playoff. Allen has his work cut out for him. If he blows this season and misses a bowl then only a top 30 recruiting class will justify Fred Glass’s decision. If he can’t do either, then Glass just got a different coach rather than actually moving the needle.
Sorry, but it's silly to make sweeping generalizations and draw such dramatic conclusions eight games into a new HC's tenure.

And I for one would love to move past the "Wilson versus Allen" narrative. Wilson's a great coordinator. He was a mediocre (at best) head coach. Allen's a great coordinator, but it's ridiculously early to assess his head coaching prowess.

Reactions: 76-1
What I’m intrigued by is this notion that our defense “rolled over” to Maryland. It wasn’t our best outing of the year, but just for comparisons sake, in CKW’s last 2 seasons as HC we gave up 484 and 517 yards to Maryland. Last Saturday we gave up 345 yards to Maryland, please keep in mind 7 points were the result of a blocked punt and 14 additional points the Maryland drives started inside our 20 yard line due to a turnover and kickoff return. An additional 7 points the drive started on our side of the 50 due to a poor punt. So, as I have repeatedly stated, this was much more a special teams failure than a “defense rollover”, that said, CTA needs to get ST fixed as he has repeatedly stated this would be an emphasis of his.

This is correct. The competencies for AD have grown dramatically over the past 15 years. The days of a coaching background being enough are long gone. Some combination of law degree, fundraising, civic and political connections, a history of managing and winning large budgets and projects are key today.

Glass is not perfect but his good to bad is as four is to one.

Fine, Glass can stay as AD but don't let him hire any coaches. He is clueless in that area.

I will note that Barry Alvarez has done a pretty good job as Wisconsin AD and he was a great football coach before taking that job. Gene Smith at Ohio State played football in college.

At best the only difference between what Allen has done this year and what Wilson would have done is the MD outcome. And frankly we might have lost to VA or MD with Wilson's mind numbing in game gaffes...plus some kids might have quit or not committed due to his growing reputation for player treatment.

There is no case at this point for some downfall this year.

Glass' decision will not be measured by wins and losses. The decision was based on standards, expectations, and ethics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT