ADVERTISEMENT

Who is eating crow?

Al Bino

All-American
Dec 18, 2001
I would think that SEVERAL posters on here owe Dolson an apology but I know it won't happen.

I don't know how many times I have F****** read crap like or versions of.....

But who trusts Dolson to make this hire.
It is the IU way. (when relating to past bad hires).
IU will go on the cheap.
Dolson is a Glass flunky.
Dolson doesn't care about football.
The Pres doesn't care about football.
IU doesn't care about football.
Talk about Mayberry.
Go to the MAC.
They will never fire Archie because of the buy out.
They will never fire Allen because of the buy out.

Well, ladies and gentlemen. SD raised the money, acted decisively and fired Archie when few thought he would.
It appears that BS kind of played him but SD pivoted and hire MW and Mike has elevated the program.
But that still didn't stop people from impugning him.

I understand that IU has not treated football fairly in the past - emphasis on THE PAST.
But SD is NOT Glass or any other previous AD.
He raised the money, once again acted decisively and fired Allen when few thought he would.
He determined who was interested, interviewed them and then made what most say is a very good hire.
Not a coordinator with no HC resume but a guy that has been successful at every place he has been.
SD had a plan and it would appear to me that he executed it flawlessly.

I don't know but if I was a betting man, even though IU can't be involved, SD also had a hand in the influx of money to the football NIL.

NOW the job isn't over, I hope, I pray and I think SD will fund the program like it should be and give the new coach the tools to succeed starting with a new practice facility!

So who is going to step up and admit they were wrong???

I haven't been around long enough to rip him a ton, but I have been pretty sarcastic about the mess we were in. And blamed some of it on Dolson.

Because in my opinion Indiana was a good job, a real sleeper. So if we weren't winning or doing anything about it...

Also, I said before he let Coach Allen go, that I thought Pres Whitten would pressure a change. Not Scott.

This hire doesn't prove everything, but I love how quick this went and the man Scott hired, to believe it strongly leans toward I was full of crap and wrong. Although it just says I was correct that Indiana is a sleeper... ;)

Btw, I loved the Woodson hire, but wondering if the jury is still out. I think it'll pan out. Either way he gave basketball back some shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t think anybody owes SD an apology. He effed up big time with CTAs contract (there is no way in hell he should have negotiated a contract that resulted in a $20 million buyout for a coach that won 3 B1G games in 3 years). I think He deserves an attaboy for raising money to rectify the situation but not an apology.

Now, let’s see if he learned a lesson from all this.

I would think that SEVERAL posters on here owe Dolson an apology but I know it won't happen.

IU will go on the cheap.
Talk about Mayberry.
Go to the MAC.

Well, ladies and gentlemen. SD raised the money, acted decisively and fired Archie when few thought he would.
It appears that BS kind of played him but SD pivoted and hire MW and Mike has elevated the program.

I understand that IU has not treated football fairly in the past - emphasis on THE PAST.
He raised the money, once again acted decisively and fired Allen when few thought he would.
He determined who was interested, interviewed them and then made what most say is a very good hire.
Not a coordinator with no HC resume but a guy that has been successful at every place he has been.

I don't know but if I was a betting man, even though IU can't be involved, SD also had a hand in the influx of money to the football NIL.

NOW the job isn't over, I hope, I pray and I think SD will fund the program like it should be and give the new coach the tools to succeed starting with a new practice facility!

They’ll add revisionist qualifiers

I ripped him good, it appears like I was wrong. I hope I was wrong! My thinking was that he cared about basketball only and it seems like he has proven that wrong.

I named him Scotty Basketball, but he's slowly becoming Scotty Football it seems.

IU will go on the cheap.
Talk about Mayberry.
Go to the MAC.

He did good firing Archie and Allen. He did bad with that ridiculous buyout and the jury's still out on Woody. I think that's a fair assessment.

I don’t think anybody owes SD an apology. He effed up big time with CTAs contract (there is no way in hell he should have negotiated a contract that resulted in a $20 million buyout for a coach that won 3 B1G games in 3 years). I think He deserves an attaboy for raising money to rectify the situation but not an apology.

I disagree. In hindsight that is easy to say, but at the time CTA was a potential hot commodity with his name coming up in reference to coaching openings. He had just completed the 2 best back to back seasons the school had seen in decades and the buyout was put in place to protect IU’s interest.

Again, hindsight is always 20/20 but revisionist history does not change the actual situation that truly existed at the time.

We've wanted this type of obvious commitment towards football for awhile. We're a B1G program that now has more cash flow than some other larger football programs due to the B1G revenue sharing value. I imagine that's playing a big part here and allows Dolson the ability to do more. Regardless of reasons though, the commitment looks to finally be there and that's all we can ask for.

IU will go on the cheap.
Talk about Mayberry.
Go to the MAC.

Guilty as charged.

#Mayberry is moving on up to the big city of #Raleigh. We’ve even traded a state road for an interstate now going through town.
Dolson brought the “shock and awe” Desert Storm style on this whole transition.

IU will go on the cheap.
Talk about Mayberry.
Go to the MAC.

Is this Mrs. Dolson???

Guilty as charged.

#Mayberry is moving on up to the big city of #Raleigh. We’ve even traded a state road for an interstate now going through town.
Dolson brought the “shock and awe” Desert Storm style on this whole transition.
No doubt, you & about 10-15 others will be calling for a coaching change 6-8 games into next season because it's what you do.

IU will go on the cheap.
Talk about Mayberry.
Go to the MAC.

Scott has done a nice job building on what Fred accomplished. Two firings that shocked most. He is no fool.

People who were fine with the status quo leap from the woodwork to pretend they were for change all along and accuse others as overly negative toward Dolson.

People who were fine with the status quo leap from the woodwork to pretend they were for change all along and accuse others as overly negative toward Dolson.
Can you rattle off a list of names of people that were cool with the status quo? And then maybe link some of their posts that made you come to that conclusion?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Can you rattle off a list of names of people that were cool with the status quo? And then maybe link some of their posts that made you come to that conclusion?
No, that was unfair of me.

Just was thinking of if the low expectations of the idea that if he wins 2 of 3 or 4 down the stretch he would get next year. Which dismayed me to no end. Not the subject of the thread.

I will Give CCC a year or 2 before I judge but I am still not a Dolson fan. If CCC turns things around then I will feast on Crow, but he hasn’t even started the job yet!

NO ONE can see the future. Some have called this a home run hire. SD has done all he could do at the present and as long as he gives coach all the support he needs this coach's success or failure is not on SD.

He did HIS job!

I disagree. In hindsight that is easy to say, but at the time CTA was a potential hot commodity with his name coming up in reference to coaching openings. He had just completed the 2 best back to back seasons the school had seen in decades and the buyout was put in place to protect IU’s interest.

Again, hindsight is always 20/20 but revisionist history does not change the actual situation that truly existed at the time.

Amen!!

Is this Mrs. Dolson???

Ah, I see, I want to give credit where credit is due and that makes me the wife or other relative.
Obviously I hit a nerve so I imagine my post hit too close to home and you are not a big enough person to admit it.
You do you.
And if that doesn't do it for you how about - ESAD.

It’s not revisionist history. One of Dolson’s primary objectives as a leader is to manage risk. He neglected to appropriately consider what happens if CTA’s fails big time, and this put the athletic department in a dire situation. He’s lucky he got bailed out. I get that big buyouts are here to stay, but big buyouts after three years of pathetic performance shouldn’t be. There are levers that savvy negotiators can use to avoid this situation. CTA’s agent definitely got the best of SD - I just hope SD learned from it.

Not everyone bought in to the Allen extension particularly the buyout and the 1 year annual extension for winning 6 games. He was a bad coach in 19 and 20 and although I think we had a very good season in 19, 20 was a total fluke.
His flaws didn’t become obvious to everyone until he started losing.

I will Give CCC a year or 2 before I judge but I am still not a Dolson fan. If CCC turns things around then I will feast on Crow, but he hasn’t even started the job yet!

^^^^^^^^ Exactly what he said !! .... ^^^^^^^

I think this is a good hire but I still think Dolson's in over his head and this time I bet he had a lot of input from people far more qualified than him telling him what he should do.

We'll see...

It’s not revisionist history. One of Dolson’s primary objectives as a leader is to manage risk. He neglected to appropriately consider what happens if CTA’s fails big time, and this put the athletic department in a dire situation. He’s lucky he got bailed out. I get that big buyouts are here to stay, but big buyouts after three years of pathetic performance shouldn’t be. There are levers that savvy negotiators can use to avoid this situation. CTA’s agent definitely got the best of SD - I just hope SD learned from it.
Yes I hope in the future if a big buyout is necessary with an extension it should be contingent on some minimum level of results.

What a double standard.

He gets cooked for not seeing three years of shit straight ahead (somewhat fair) but he’s’lucky’ and gets ‘bailed out’ when HE finds the donors to buy him out. Which also is, by the way, one of his jobs (and strengths) as AD.

^^^^^^^^ Exactly what he said !! .... ^^^^^^^

I think this is a good hire but I still think Dolson's in over his head and this time I bet he had a lot of input from people far more qualified than him telling him what he should do.

We'll see...
Is that not what a person should do? If football is not strength then should you not look for advice from others?

No, that was unfair of me.

Just was thinking of if the low expectations of the idea that if he wins 2 of 3 or 4 down the stretch he would get next year. Which dismayed me to no end. Not the subject of the thread.
I think some were resigned to the notion that if he wins late he stays. And I understand how they might’ve thought that. Doesn’t mean they supported the notion.

What a double standard.

He gets cooked for not seeing three years of shit straight ahead (somewhat fair) but he’s’lucky’ and gets ‘bailed out’ when HE finds the donors to buy him out. Which also is, by the way, one of his jobs (and strengths) as AD.
Agree. Fans are funny sometimes.

agreed. obviously the jurys still out on coach cig also

That’s my problem with this discussion. The question is relative to AD performance based on what we know RIGHT NOW. To reserve judgement on this hire until we see how CCC performs is moving the goalposts.

SD had a list of criteria, searched that criteria and found someone that checks all the boxes. He also spent the money necessary to make it happen.

The only complaint I believe you could have right now is if you did not like his criteria, but other than age, I have seen no negative comments. As a result, anyone not willing to praise SD for this is just looking for a reason to be negative in my opinion.

The training Wheels are off the bike for Dolson now. He has made the two hires in the two revenue producing sports. The buck stops with Him. No more hiding behind "He was here when I got Here, and I'm stuck with Him. The fact that He negotiated an outrageous extension with a red ink buyout is strike one. If We don't see significant progress in both yje football abd Basketball programs over the next two years, Dolson needs to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT