ADVERTISEMENT

They aren't pretty on offense....

Capitol Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Jul 17, 2002
Vienna, VA
...but man, I love watching Bob Huggins' WVU teams play defense! I watch a lot of their games since my daughter is there and WVU was always my 2nd favorite school growing up. I know there are many who are not big Huggins' fans...but damn, he gets so much out of his players, it's amazing. Most of their players are "good" players (3 stars or so); they rarely have a 4-star, and I'm not sure they've ever had a 5-star since he's been there. But that man can coach. Especially defense. If he had IU's talent, with the way he teaches defense....this team would easily be top 3 in the country. I heart me some Huggy Bear. Wish our coach valued defense as much as he does. *sigh*

Reactions: OldChargey and C-$
Wish our coach valued defense and also, screening away from the ball. I didn't watch much of last night's game, but what I did see made me sick....again. Majority of the time, we ball screen and that's it. We rarely, if ever, screen away from the ball. We "trade places". It's so pathetic.

...but man, I love watching Bob Huggins' WVU teams play defense! I watch a lot of their games since my daughter is there and WVU was always my 2nd favorite school growing up. I know there are many who are not big Huggins' fans...but damn, he gets so much out of his players, it's amazing. Most of their players are "good" players (3 stars or so); they rarely have a 4-star, and I'm not sure they've ever had a 5-star since he's been there. But that man can coach. Especially defense. If he had IU's talent, with the way he teaches defense....this team would easily be top 3 in the country. I heart me some Huggy Bear. Wish our coach valued defense as much as he does. *sigh*

Yeah, I always like Huggins as a coach and his attitude/arrogance. He seems to be very much a players coach, without coddling them. IWatching his body language from a couple years ago I thought he was burning out, but I think it was just frustration with that group of players. I never will forget him huddled over the fallen injured player a few years back in the tourney. He can be an ass, but you're right, his teams get after it on D.

Wish our coach valued defense and also, screening away from the ball. I didn't watch much of last night's game, but what I did see made me sick....again. Majority of the time, we ball screen and that's it. We rarely, if ever, screen away from the ball. We "trade places". It's so pathetic.

Our guys also have to set the worst screens in all of D1 ball. I'm continually amazed at how bad we are at such a fundamental aspect of the game. Oh wait, I said fundamental, my bad, play faster boys!

Just an absolutely nauseating offense.....just like his personality.

Reactions: IU40IU

Hell of a coach.

Have always liked him, although I have heard some negative shit.

We already had him once when he was named Kelvin Sampson.

Yeah, I always like Huggins as a coach and his attitude/arrogance. He seems to be very much a players coach, without coddling them. IWatching his body language from a couple years ago I thought he was burning out, but I think it was just frustration with that group of players. I never will forget him huddled over the fallen injured player a few years back in the tourney. He can be an ass, but you're right, his teams get after it on D.
It's weird how things play out. When Knight was at IU and Huggins was roaming the sidelines at Cincinnati, my guess is that the general consensus of Huggins and his program was that they were a bunch of thugs.

Now that he's at WVU and the way things have played out at IU over the last decade and a half, if Huggins were 10 years younger I think most IU fans would be okay with him taking over in Bloomington.

It's weird how things play out. When Knight was at IU and Huggins was roaming the sidelines at Cincinnati, my guess is that the general consensus of Huggins and his program was that they were a bunch of thugs.

Now that he's at WVU and the way things have played out at IU over the last decade and a half, if Huggins were 10 years younger I think most IU fans would be okay with him taking over in Bloomington.

Over this guy?....
images

Fk yeah I would!

Now that he's at WVU and the way things have played out at IU over the last decade and a half, if Huggins were 10 years younger I think most IU fans would be okay with him taking over in Bloomington.[/QUOTE

True. I didn't think of much as him at Cincy, because from outside appearances, you wondered if there was some shadiness to him and his program. Also it's become more apparent as his talent differential has dropped at WVU that he coaches players and teams beyond their ability. Not sure he's shown he can recruit at the level I think an elite coach should be able to at IU, but X and O's, I don't think there are many better.

He's another of those guys like RMK or Wilson, that oftentimes the less you hear of him after a loss, probably the better off you are. RMK is extremely entertaining and likeable at times as Huggins can be, but he can be a total douche at times too. It was always hard for me to forget him raking that kid over the coals after the NCAA loss... was it Mizzou? He was reaming the kid about "you didn't hear I was not going to be here from anyone at Indiana, right?" about his postgame press conference, and I think it was a student volunteer or manager. Anyway, Huggins has definitely grown on me over the years, probably in direct proportion to the scarcity of good fundamental bball from our team.

A girl I know is Huggy's God-daughter and she (obviously) has nothing but wonderful things to say about him and says he is getting softer in his older age. A friend of mine and his bride traveled with her to WVU a few years ago for a football game and a bball game, followed by a trip to Huggy's Bar (aka his basement) after the game. Huggins gets Bud Light delivered directly to his home from the local distributor so he doesn't have to leave much. My buddy said he got a tour of his pad and my question was, "is his closet full of sweatsuits?" Answer was a yes.

Anyway, said he was a great guy and I have always appreciated how much he gets out of his guys. I do recall making a trip to the Shoemaker Center when I was young and watching Calbert and our squad beat Nick Van Excel and that team...probably 1992'ish?

Reactions: IUecho87 and kkott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT