ADVERTISEMENT

The way I would clean up college basketball

Fair enough. Then have them qualify for school like a regular student. If they do that, and want to leave... cool. Then, they'd be like Zuckerberg...who actually had the grades to qualify for school.

They don't need to go to school at all and for many it is a sham.

Fair enough. Then have them qualify for school like a regular student. If they do that, and want to leave... cool. Then, they'd be like Zuckerberg...who actually had the grades to qualify for school.
I doubt Zuckerberg puts much value into a BS standardized test that is only popular because it’s easy on schools to weed down application lists.

College shouldn’t be about standardized lists. It should be about maturing, gaining life experience, learning a skill set you can use for a career, etc. Athletes do this every day. Regardless of what an irrelevant multiple choice test says.

I think there should be no restrictions on when someone can go pro. If someone wants to go pro after HS and they have the ability to, I’d say do it. If someone isn’t sure if they can make the NBA, they should be allowed to play for college for 1 year. Then, if they’re good, they can go pro. It would be horrible for someone that’s a borderline 5 star having to be thrown immediately to the NBA or having to wait 3 years to go pro. Giving the players flexibility is important. Obviously there are other options, it’s just that some people don’t want to go those routes. I wouldn’t want to have to learn a different language. The D-League barely every produces all-stars, so if I was a play I wouldn’t trust that. I just think that the players should be able to do what they want.

That doesn’t mean they can fail their classes. They should have to make the NCAA’s requirements, which are pretty low. Even though that’s lower than a normal student, they benefit the university enough its worth it. To the argument that they should be able to get the same grades as a normal student, I’d say that’s ridiculous. You barely ever find people that can get A’s and B’s in business as well as hoop it up. Also, saying that it’s unfair NCAA players will take away space for regular students is also crazy. First of all, there are only 13 scholarships max, so an EXTREMELY small portion of people wouldn’t get in to IU. Out of that portion, some of them may not even end up at IU. Second of all, they provide something almost nobody else can provide. Their contributions can be equal to a huge donor, which a lot of times are top-of-the-line students. The average students, no offense, don’t provide really anything except for a good co-worker.

Okay, I’m done now.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Not at IU. Student bill of rights.
Was not aware of that. Is that what happened with the Gelon kid this year. I remember his parents being irate with him being shown the door with the coaching change. Miller gave a statement that I found strange, that the school would honor the scholarship, but just not on the basketball team, as he did not fit into his plans. Wasn't sure how that would work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT