ADVERTISEMENT

What the hell are schools supposed to do to stop the war in Gaza

van pastor hangs out on the fringes of the web, he's gullible and naive. in other words, probably didn't happen.
He might be, buy you'd have to have your head buried in the sand to think it unusual nowadays for student protestors to go too far and block a professor's route, shout down a presentation they didn't like, attack them, etc.

I stand corrected and blame the Canadian then.

On the IU front, apparently Whitten gave the state police access to the IMU tower where they placed a sniper. I'm sure that move won't win any respect from faculty and students, who already can't stand her. I was in school at IU in the 80's, during the shanty town S. Africa protests in Dunn Meadow, and couldn't imagine this happening back then. Intimidation or actual reason to be fearful?
We sure this is true? Been substantiated anywhere?

23 more arrested this afternoon. A prof I know said the authorities said IU was worried of weapons present and none were found.

Seems kind of like an overreach no?

I’m not very sympathetic to non-students showing up on campus for this stuff. Which it seems like many of these are.

But if they’re just chilling in Dunn Meadow chanting their stupid slogans they need to be left alone.

Seems kind of like an overreach no?

I’m not very sympathetic to non-students showing up on campus for this stuff. Which it seems like many of these are.

But if they’re just chilling in Dunn Meadow chanting their stupid slogans they need to be left alone.

This is a rare moment, we agree.

Riot gear and a sniper on the roof? Let's just exaggerate the response of unarmed college students peacefully protesting.. Ironically, the Israeli genocidal response is why this is happening in the first place. And no, this is not anti-Jewish, it's anti-Netanyahu and his government. If any of the protesters are making this about Jews, then they are using a protest as an excuse for antisemitism and have no business being a part of it.
If you're intentionally using the term genocide to apply to what Israel is doing in Gaza right now, you're displaying jew hatred. At best, you're walking right up to the line and daring people to call you on it. You're applying a standard to Israel that you don't apply to any other nation in the world. Not China, not even Russia, not the United States.

And no, this isn't happening because of Israel's response. These gatherings and protests and solidarity movements for Palestine started October 7th in support of the brutal murder, rape, and torture of Jewish people. It was disgusting how many people rushed to the streets to celebrate such a barbaric act.

If you're intentionally using the term genocide to apply to what Israel is doing in Gaza right now, you're displaying jew hatred. At best, you're walking right up to the line and daring people to call you on it. You're applying a standard to Israel that you don't apply to any other nation in the world. Not China, not even Russia, not the United States.

And no, this isn't happening because of Israel's response. These gatherings and protests and solidarity movements for Palestine started October 7th in support of the brutal murder, rape, and torture of Jewish people. It was disgusting how many people rushed to the streets to celebrate such a barbaric act.
I don't know about rushing to the streets, but I think you hint at one of the problems here. A large number of people were predisposed to celebrate the attack as soon as it happened, and before we had any chance to learn exactly what it was. Some of those people became trapped. They were supporting Palestine before they had any inkling what Hamas had done.

(Others of course would be happy to support them even after they knew the full breadth of it, but I'm not talking about them.)

I think a lot of those people who were predisposed to root against Israel, but maybe aren't comfortable with supporting terrorism, I think these are the folks you see desperately trying to deflect the narrative away from what Hamas did and onto the broader context of the conflict.

Reactions: NPT and BradStevens
they need to run the idiots off of the campuses across the country.
How come they are idiots? They are protesting for what they believe in, anytime someone disagrees with you, you call them idiots. I'm more afraid of the men with guns. Just 1 mistake and you have another Kent st. You do not see them when the Proud Boys protest or the Nazis in Nashville or even Charlotteville where the Jews will not replace us. There are thousands of Palestinians including women and children being killed and injured, but u called them idiots. gop hypocrisy at its best, if you do not agree with them they are wrong.

Brad, if you define genocide as...

The deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

Given this definition can't both the Palestinians under Hamas and Israel under Netanyahu be seen as practicing genocide ?

Aren't a good many of the college protestors actually against the genocide on both sides of the conflict as being inhumane rather blaming one side or the other?

Just asking.

Reactions: UncleMark
Several of the protestors are professors. In the IU clip I saw yesterday the person speaking to police was a professor.
No talk about Jan 6, where the protestors wanted to hang Pence, the nazis, Proud BOYS, Charlotteville. I do not hear you talking about them.

The deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

Given this definition can't both the Palestinians under Hamas and Israel under Netanyahu be seen as practicing genocide ?

Aren't a good many of the college protestors actually against the genocide on both sides of the conflict as being inhumane rather blaming one side or the other?

Just asking.
Did you know the students are protesting, because the Israelis are discriminating against them? They are banning them from programs that were started for both. Netanyahu has barred the people of Gaza from jobs, education food, and water just necessities of life for years. They are very poor people.

Just asking.
No. If Israel wanted to level Gaza and kill all Gazans, it could have done so by now. Easily. Its military is in a dominant position and has been, so far, reasonably restrained given its military goals.

In 1994, Rwandas, armed with some guns but more machetes, knives, clubs etc. in a matter of months killed 1 million people. They wanted to kill every Tutsi. That’s a genocide. You can also look at the Serbs and Bosnians. What Israel is doing bears no relationship to either.

Israel has killed fewer Palestinians in this war than the U.S. did in two atomic bomb droppings. I don’t think the us was committing genocide: it was prosecuting a war, trying to achieve a military objective—total Japanese surrender—and used methods that killed (actually targeting) tens of thousands of civilians in an effort to prevent millions from dying in an all-out invasion of the main island.

No. If Israel wanted to level Gaza and kill all Gazans, it could have done so by now. Easily. Its military is in a dominant position and has been, so far, reasonably restrained given its military goals.

In 1994, Rwandas, armed with some guns but more machetes, knives, clubs etc. in a matter of months killed 1 million people. They wanted to kill every Tutsi. That’s a genocide. You can also look at the Serbs and Bosnians. What Israel is doing bears no relationship to either.

Israel has killed fewer Palestinians in this war than the U.S. did in two atomic bomb droppings. I don’t think the us was committing genocide: it was prosecuting a war, trying to achieve a military objective—total Japanese surrender—and used methods that killed (actually targeting) tens of thousands of civilians in an effort to prevent millions from dying in an all-out invasion of the main island.
Wow you really live in a whitebread world.

Brad, the genocide definition I put forward was...

This definition doesn't say all the Palestinians or even members of the armed Hamas group.

Seems to me that tens of thousands of Palestinians is a large number.

Granted the Israeli government makes a good point by reminding us that in their effort to destroy Hamas there are innocent Palestinians being killed. The government blames Hamas for this by stationing themselves within the Palestinians along with reminding us that in urban warfare it can be difficult to avoid killing bystanders.

Exactly. I'm thoroughly exhausted by the banality that the word "genocide" has become. Where was the islamic outrage over the Rwanda slaughter? Wait, there wasn't one because Rwanda over 90% Christian? Did I miss the aid and comfort that muslim nations contributed to Ukraine as thousands of Ukranians died and thousands of children were captured? Because I recall reading the Arab League's statement back in 2022 that did nothing more that arguably justify Russia's move. Did I miss those protestors on campus condemning the Arab League's hedging of bets to see who the winner would likely be? Where were the campus protestors when Salmon Rushdie spent years in hiding after the Satanic Verses came out? (A great book by the way). When he was attacked? How about the protests on campus when the Netherlands newspaper ran the cartoons of the Mohammed and the newspaper's staff was subjected to the islamic death sentence?

Don't get me wrong---two wrongs don't make a right, and the continuing Israeli response to date has likely done nothing more than raise two more generations of terrorists,l but I'm convinced that the island of misfit toys across various campuses know very little short of what social media tells them, and have become nothing more than sheep. Protest all you want--you have a constitutional right to do so. You don't have a right, however, to be an ignorant asshole. Yell, scream, and waive your flags, etc. I don't care because I'm not going to play with your toys no matter how much you scream.

I would leave you with Christopher Hitchens:

Last edited:
So as near as I can tell from all the videos, we are looking at group of young men and women who are misfits. I wonder how much they would support Islam if they were forced to wear a hijab, unable to vote, stoned for having sex with someone they aren't married to, and on and on. It is always the faux disenfranchised who never thinks things through. Reminds of the famous British traitor Kim Philby who defected to the Soviet Union and drank himself to death because he immediately figured out that the Soviet system sucked, but there was nowhere else for him to go.

When you arrive at the intersection of the oppressor/oppressed dichotomy and the logical fallacy of moral equivalence, this is what you will find. Baffling and mind boggling.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
So as near as I can tell from all the videos, we are looking at group of young men and women who are misfits. I wonder how much they would support Islam if they were forced to wear a hijab, unable to vote, stoned for having sex with someone they aren't married to, and on and on. It is always the faux disenfranchised who never thinks things through. Reminds of the famous British traitor Kim Philby who defected to the Soviet Union and drank himself to death because he immediately figured out that the Soviet system sucked, but there was nowhere else for him to go.
spot on

So as near as I can tell from all the videos, we are looking at group of young men and women who are misfits
for sure misfits but as near as i can tell you are talking about maybe 100s of people at massive universities. it's a tiny group. so as the OP asks what are schools to do. pretty tricky situation. and if i'm a parent who paid what USC costs and they canceled graduation i'd be apoplectic

for sure misfits but as near as i can tell you are talking about maybe 100s of people at massive universities. it's a tiny group. so as the OP asks what are schools to do. pretty tricky situation. and if i'm a parent who paid what USC costs and they canceled graduation i'd be apoplectic
for sure-- tiny percent of a population of students. This is where you don't let the squeaky wheel get the oil

for sure-- tiny percent of a population of students. This is where you don't let the squeaky wheel get the oil
I am curious, what oil? If not for university crackdowns would there have been any press? Do you think 40 people in Dunn Meadow would have any national press? The IDS would have covered it, maybe a secondary story in the HT. For reasons unknown, the university wanted this to be a major story.

You are a lawyer, any thoughts about concerns regarding IU changing policy immediately before a protest? Would that be considered "neutral"?

you really protect your masters
You’re mad because he called Rwanda a genocide?
I'M not mad because its true.

I am curious, what oil? If not for university crackdowns would there have been any press? Do you think 40 people in Dunn Meadow would have any national press? The IDS would have covered it, maybe a secondary story in the HT. For reasons unknown, the university wanted this to be a major story.

You are a lawyer, any thoughts about concerns regarding IU changing policy immediately before a protest? Would that be considered "neutral"?

I wouldn't be changing the policy---they just look like students to me. They are still allowed to protest dumb things. Let them protest---although you are right, the national press that covered relatively peaceful protesting simply added fuel to the fire--the oil these protestors wanted....Without coverage, these things are a flash in the pan..... Like the picket lines in front of the auto manucturers--they die out after a few days when they realize nobody is paying attention to them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT