ADVERTISEMENT

The way I would clean up college basketball

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
1) The NBA and the NCAA needs to work together to make a plan that is best for both parties.
2) The NBA get rid of the one and done rule and go to the MLB model. Let any player that wants to enter the draft to do so but if you go to college you can't get drafted until you finish 3 years of college.
3) The NCAA needs to eliminate the shoe companies involvement in summer basketball and take it over themselves.
4) Eliminate programs from having their own contracts with shoe companies. Have the NCAA have one contract that each program has to sign with one shoe company.
5) Don't allow coaches to be paid by the shoe companies and all of their salary is from the University.

To me this would eliminate where agents would be coming to college campuses trying to sign players and would eliminate agents trying to steer players to certain schools. It would eliminate shoe companies brokering deals with schools who the supply gear to as well.

Watching UW play today makes me feel that the kid Davidson is what I think college basketball is all about. It is about players playing with heart because they love the college game and trying to win for their university. I would rather watch kids like him than watch a kid like Ayton who we know is only there because he has to and not because he wants to.

Reactions: 76-1 and 82hoosier
Watching UW play today makes me feel that the kid Davidson is what I think college basketball is all about. It is about players playing with heart because they love the college game and trying to win for their university. I would rather watch kids like him than watch a kid like Ayton who we know is only there because he has to and not because he wants to.

Yes.... The Davidson kid was on a shooting hot streak there for a while.

Loved seeing him come back on court after they popped his shoulder back in place.

I would also lump Zach McRoberts in this group as well... playing with heart!!!

Reactions: 76-1
Yes.... The Davidson kid was on a shooting hot streak there for a while.

Loved seeing him come back on court after they popped his shoulder back in place.

I would also lump Zach McRoberts in this group as well... playing with heart!!!
That was the fifth time his shoulder went out this year. It was just like Morgan his first year here or Reid and Evans back in the 90's. I would get a lot more enjoyment out of the college basketball watching more kids like them than seeing a lot of the one and done players in the college game. If I wanted to watch professionals play then I would watch more of the NBA but I am not into the NBA as much as I am in the high school and college games.

Also I think the NBA should institute a real minor league system for the players that don't want to be in college and leave the college game for the real college student athletes.

Reactions: 82hoosier and 76-1
That was the fifth time his shoulder went out this year. It was just like Morgan his first year here or Reid and Evans back in the 90's. I would get a lot more enjoyment out of the college basketball watching more kids like them than seeing a lot of the one and done players in the college game. If I wanted to watch professionals play then I would watch more of the NBA but I am not into the NBA as much as I am in the high school and college games.

Also I think the NBA should institute a real minor league system for the players that don't want to be in college and leave the college game for the real college student athletes.

This might be more to your liking...
PreseasonPoll.jpeg

Reactions: MrBing
1) The NBA and the NCAA needs to work together to make a plan that is best for both parties.
2) The NBA get rid of the one and done rule and go to the MLB model. Let any player that wants to enter the draft to do so but if you go to college you can't get drafted until you finish 3 years of college.
3) The NCAA needs to eliminate the shoe companies involvement in summer basketball and take it over themselves.
4) Eliminate programs from having their own contracts with shoe companies. Have the NCAA have one contract that each program has to sign with one shoe company.
5) Don't allow coaches to be paid by the shoe companies and all of their salary is from the University.

To me this would eliminate where agents would be coming to college campuses trying to sign players and would eliminate agents trying to steer players to certain schools. It would eliminate shoe companies brokering deals with schools who the supply gear to as well.

Would you support IU ending ( or significantly tightening) special admissions decisions for athletes (Wisconsin is one of a very few BiG schools that doesn't bend much for athletes)? How many past and present Hoosiers would've ever played had IU not softened the standards for entry? If you want reform, wouldn't it begin with the academic aspect of this?

Would you support IU ending ( or significantly tightening) special admissions decisions for athletes (Wisconsin is one of a very few BiG schools that doesn't bend much for athletes)? How many past and present Hoosiers would've ever played had IU not softened the standards for entry? If you want reform, wouldn't it begin with the academic aspect of this?
As long as they meet what other students are required to get in then I am for it. I just want to get the players out of the college game that does not want to be there like the one and done players. I don't mind giving kids a chance for a college education if they come from bad back grounds that has some disadvantages. There are a lot of players that are not good enough to play pro basketball but they would benefit greatly from a scholarship to get an education.

No. Absolutely not. That would be a death sentence for the program. Top recruits should have a primary focus on basketball, not academics. That’s where their earning potential is. Focus on that, not some meaningless standardized test.

As long as they meet what other students are required to get in then I am for it. I just want to get the players out of the college game that does not want to be there like the one and done players. I don't mind giving kids a chance for a college education if they come from bad back grounds that has some disadvantages. There are a lot of players that are not good enough to play pro basketball but they would benefit greatly from a scholarship to get an education.
I'm talking about players getting admitted while more qualified applicants are denied, something that occurs with some frequency in respect of the basketball and football programs at many schools. Would you be in favor of significantly tightening those standards so that few exceptions are made? Isn't that where you would want reform to begin?

No. Absolutely not. That would be a death sentence for the program. Top recruits should have a primary focus on basketball, not academics. That’s where their earning potential is. Focus on that, not some meaningless standardized test.
If their primary focus is getting to the NBA just go to the NBA and leave college basketball for real college athletes. To me the college coach and university job is to first get their players an education and then win games for their university. I don't think the job of a college coach is to worry about getting their players to the NBA as fast as possible. If that is what you want then go to UK because that is what Cal thinks is best.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
I'm talking about players getting admitted while more qualified applicants are denied, something that occurs with some frequency in respect of the basketball and football programs at many schools. Would you be in favor of significantly tightening those standards so that few exceptions are made? Isn't that where you would want reform to begin?
My reform is trying to get all the cheating out of the game and not what the academic standards are for the university. I want to get the kids out of the college game that has no desire to be in college and let them go to the NBA.

My reform is trying to get all the cheating out of the game and not what the academic standards are for the university. I want to get the kids out of the college game that has no desire to be in college and let them go to the NBA.
So you're not really interested in the academic integrity of the university, only that your personal entertainment needs are satisfied?

If their primary focus is getting to the NBA just go to the NBA and leave college basketball for real college athletes. To me the college coach and university job is to first get their players an education and then win games for their university. I don't think the job of a college coach is to worry about getting their players to the NBA as fast as possible. If that is what you want then go to UK because that is what Cal thinks is best.
You think a general studies degree is more valuable than making millions in the NBA? Not all NBA players are ready out of H.S. Even the best ones need a year or two to mature and develop before they’re ready. College is to prepare kids for their careers. Not just to earn a piece of paper.

Maximizing their career earning power should be these kids’ primary focus. Some of these kids earn more money in their 20s than a surgeon will earn in a 40 year career. Cal gets this and his former players love him for it.

You might want to inform Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg that they made a terrible decision by leaving college early. Why would we celebrate those two and criticize athletes for doing the same thing? It’s time we put the kids first and the rest will work itself out.

Reactions: dtodd4475
So you're not really interested in the academic integrity of the university, only that your personal entertainment needs are satisfied?
Did not say that but if the athlete has the requirements just like any other student then I am for it. I am not I favor to lower the standards to get some one into college that does not belong there or have no desire to go to college.

You think a general studies degree is more valuable than making millions in the NBA? Not all NBA players are ready out of H.S. Even the best ones need a year or two to mature and develop before they’re ready. College is to prepare kids for their careers. Not just to earn a piece of paper.

Maximizing their career earning power should be these kids’ primary focus. Some of these kids earn more money in their 20s than a surgeon will earn in a 40 year career. Cal gets this and his former players love him for it.

You might want to inform Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg that they made a terrible decision by leaving college early. Why would we celebrate those two and criticize athletes for doing the same thing? It’s time we put the kids first and the rest will work itself out.
This is the reason I don't care if IU tries to recruit the one and done players who have no desire to get an education. I want IU to get players who will be there 3 to 4 years who actually go to class and try to get a real education. It just sounds like you would be happier rooting for UK because they seem to have the same priorities that you have.

That’s all a good idea but I think the one and done rule was a result of labor contract negotiations. The player’s union wants it to keep the kids out of the league one year to make more room for current players. Not sure the union will give that up.

Did not say that but if the athlete has the requirements just like any other student then I am for it. I am not I favor to lower the standards to get some one into college that does not beg there or have no desire to go to college.
What if you or your son or daughter or sibling had better grades and test scores than an athlete, but you / they were denied admission while the athlete with lesser qualifications was admitted? You're obviously good with that, right? You keep avoiding this question and I'm curious as to why you're unable or unwilling to answer it.

This is the reason I don't care if IU tries to recruit the one and done players who have no desire to get an education. I want IU to get players who will be there 3 to 4 years who actually go to class and try to get a real education. It just sounds like you would be happier rooting for UK because they seem to have the same priorities that you have.
Putting the kids over your interests as a fan? Yea, that sounds crazy. Let’s fulfill your wishes over the needs of the actual players. Sounds like a winning recipe.

I don’t want to root for Uk. I want IU to wake up, get with the times, put the kids first, and get back to winning.

What if you or your son or daughter or sibling had better grades and test scores than an athlete, but you / they were denied admission while the athlete with lesser qualifications was admitted? You're obviously good with that, right?
Well my daughter got a full ride to IU and my son is going to ISU next year so I did not have to worry about that. Do you have a reading problem because I said I don't want them to lower the requirements just for an athlete and they should have the same requirements as a regular student.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
What if you or your son or daughter or sibling had better grades and test scores than an athlete, but you / they were denied admission while the athlete with lesser qualifications was admitted? You're obviously good with that, right? You keep avoiding this question and I'm curious as to why you're unable or unwilling to answer it.
I’m absolutely fine with athletes having lower standards. They bring a lot of other value to the University which other students benefit from. And they spend more time on their sport than other students do going to class. They should have things easier in the classroom. And they most certainly do.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Putting the kids over your interests as a fan? Yea, that sounds crazy. Let’s fulfill your wishes over the needs of the actual players. Sounds like a winning recipe.

I don’t want to root for Uk. I want IU to wake up, get with the times, put the kids first, and get back to winning.
Well when you saw IU name in report you sure jumped on Crean for that but you want us to be like UK which was also in a report. See I would rather have a good season and do it the right way than win championships having to play the recruiting games that UK and Duke have been playing. To me winning at any cost is not the most important thing to me when it comes to my college team but it appears you don't care how you win just as long as you win.

Well my daughter got a full ride to IU and my son is going to ISU next year so I did not have to worry about that. Do you have a reading problem because I said I don't want them to lower the requirements just for an athlete and they should have the same requirements as a regular student.
So, you're against special admissions, right? How many IU greats do you believe would've never set foot in Bloomington had they not been granted special admissions consideration? And you'd be just as big a fan if IU declined to take those kids and the performance of teams suffered, right?

Well when you saw IU name in report you sure jumped on Crean for that but you want us to be like UK which was also in a report. See I would rather have a good season and do it the right way than win championships having to play the recruiting games that UK and Duke have been playing. To me winning at any cost is not the most important thing to me when it comes to my college team but it appears you don't care how you win just as long as you win.
The same could easily be said of you, though, as you've shown your hypocrisy in regard to academics. Your prime consideration seems to be your personal entertainment and little else.

I want to do what’s best for the kids. That sometimes means helping kids get a degree. That sometimes means preparing them for the NBA. The best coaches get this. Pay it forward and it will come back to you ten times over. Selfish fans are the ones who don’t get it.

What have UK and Duke been found guilty of? I must have missed that. So far I’ve seen accusations that one player from each school took a small amount of cash from an agent. That alone has nothing to do with Cal or Coach K.

I think sometimes people think college athletes are attached to the coach’s hip at all times. These kids live on their own, have their own lives, and do plenty of things behind the coach’s back. Including taking a handful of cash when they’re all alone sometimes. If I’ve missed something else then I’m obviously out of the loop.

So, you're against special admissions, right? How many IU greats do you believe would've never set foot in Bloomington had they not been granted special admissions consideration? And you'd be just as big a fan if IU declined to take those kids and the performance of teams suffered, right?
Yes I would still be a fan of IU even if we never win another national title.

I want to do what’s best for the kids. That sometimes means helping kids get a degree. That sometimes means preparing them for the NBA. The best coaches get this. Pay it forward and it will come back to you ten times over. Selfish fans are the ones who don’t get it.

What have UK and Duke been found guilty of? I must have missed that. So far I’ve seen accusations that one player from each school took a small amount of cash from an agent. That alone has nothing to do with Cal or Coach K.

I think sometimes people think college athletes are attached to the coach’s hip at all times. These kids live on their own, have their own lives, and do plenty of things behind the coach’s back. Including taking a handful of cash when they’re all alone sometimes. If I’ve missed something else then I’m obviously out of the loop.
I guess I will just leave it as we just won't agree on this topic because we have a f at different viewpoint on what we want from our favorite college program.

MLB model won't happen. Maybe hockey, golf, other non revenue sports model. Even then it is difficult because these 18 year olds are making millions for people individually immediately, and billions for an industry. College hoops and football is cut throat big buisness profit. Those kids are the immediate product!!!

The same could easily be said of you, though, as you've shown your hypocrisy in regard to academics. Your prime consideration seems to be your personal entertainment and little else.
If all I cared about was my personal entertainment I wouldn't care about how we won because winning is a lot more fun but I do care about how we win.

Yes I would still be a fan of IU even if we never win another national title.
Not the question I asked, which you continue to avoid. But you obviously only care about your personal entertainment, which makes you no different than UK fans who go along with one and done.

MLB model won't happen. Maybe hockey, golf, other non revenue sports model. Even then it is difficult because these 18 year olds are making millions for people individually, and billions for an industry. College hoops and football is cut throat big buisness profit. Those kids are the immediate product!!!
In football they get away with the 3 year rule and they are not allowed to even go to the draft until after 3 years. I don't know why the MLB rule wouldn't work in basketball if the NBA would take the one and done out and start a real minor league program. They could have the draft have more than two rounds so the kids that wanted to go right away would be drafted. Each team should get their own minor league team and put the younger players in the minor leagues until they have developed enough to play in the NBA.

Not the question I asked, which you continue to avoid. But you obviously only care about your personal entertainment, which makes you no different than UK fans who go along with one and done.
Like I said in the above post if all I cared about was my entertainment then I wouldn't care how we won as long as we won. I have told you a few times that I don't want to change or lower the requirements for kids to get into college if they are athletes. I guess you just like to argue or you have a reading problem.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
In football they get away with the 3 year rule and they are not allowed to even go to the draft until after 3 years. I don't know why the MLB rule wouldn't work in basketball if the NBA would take the one and done out and start a real minor league program. They could have the draft have more than two rounds so the kids that wanted to go right away would be drafted. Each team should get their own minor league team and put the younger players in the minor leagues until they have developed enough to play in the NBA.
Why should the NBA change their draft eligibility rule?

Like I said in the above post if all I cared about was my entertainment then I wouldn't care how we won as long as we won. I have told you a few times that I don't want to change or lower the requirements for kids to get into college if they are athletes. I guess you just like to argue or you have a reading problem.
So how many IU players do you think would've never been Hoosiers if not for special admissions? And you're saying you would've been fine without any national championships based on the fact that a number of the key players on those teams only got into school based on softened admissions standards?

I believe they should simply award scholarship numbers based on academic experience vacated.

Award a max of 4 points (based on academic years completed). When a player leaves the team, either through transfer, graduation, or early departure, their academic years of credit are used to award the following year's scholarships.

Thus, so long as IU graduates 5 players, they would get 4 academic year credits for each departure and thus be awarded 5 open scholarships (4credits = 1 scholarship)

The year before, IU lost OG (2), Bryant (2), Blackmon (3), and Gelon(1), and would thus have 8 academic credits, =2 available scholarships. Hence, by IU losing guys to the NBA, this year they would only have 2 freshmen on scholarship.

Count points for 12 players but keep 13 as a max schoolies number.

If you lose 4 freshmen and a sophomore to the NBA and you also have a transfer, well, your team just shrunk because you would only have 2 scholarship openings to replace 6 departures. Thus you would have 9 scholarship athletes the following year and it would become difficult to regain 13.

That would prevent schools from taking many one and done type athletes. They would have to give scholarships to walk on s to get the numbers back up, but it would also balance talent better because one and done players would be looking for scholarships and schools like UK would have to turn them away.

Reactions: mattndallas
So how many IU players do you think would've never been Hoosiers if not for special admissions? And you're saying you would've been fine without any national championships based on the fact that a number of the key players on those teams only got into school based on softened admissions standards?
I am pretty sure IU never rally lowered their admissions especially under RMK or are you saying that RMK did not care about education.

Even their commisioner thinks changes needed to be made for both the NBA and the college game.
Yeah of course he is positioning himself for labor negotiations. The question is weather this is a throw away issue for the union.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT