ADVERTISEMENT

The Southern border boogeyman

Calling something fearmongering or a boogeyman doesn't make it so. It's a major issue with major implications.

Which I'm sure Stewart is smart enough to understand, but acknowledging as much might force him to touch on some uncomfortable truths about why this problem has been so exacerbated the last 3+ years.

Calling something fearmongering or a boogeyman doesn't make it so. It's a major issue with major implications.

Which I'm sure Stewart is smart enough to understand, but acknowledging as much might force him to touch on some uncomfortable truths about why this problem has been so exacerbated the last 3+ years.
Stewart is just another vapid lefty host devoid of an ounce of common sense. The numbers crossing are obscene and for a country already suffering from welfare expenditures adding destitute people by the millions is a massive problem. They equate to large states in population

Of course our side is plagued with stupid asses like MTG who will focus on crime and stereotypes vs resources to accommodate so many in need etc.

The border is sad stuff. Both my kids had pink eye this weekend. You’d have thought they were on their deathbeds. Vitamin water an inch away. Netflix on one tv. X Box another. Yet these poor parents are navigating dirty rivers with hungry toddlers. It’s heartrending. I cannot imagine a worse station in life

Stewart is just another vapid lefty host devoid of an ounce of common sense. The numbers crossing are obscene and for a country already suffering from welfare expenditures adding destitute people by the millions is a massive problem. They equate to large states in population

Of course our side is plagued with stupid asses like MTG who will focus on crime and stereotypes vs resources to accommodate so many in need etc.

The border is sad stuff. Both my kids had pink eye this weekend. You’d have thought they were on their deathbeds. Vitamin water an inch away. Netflix on one tv. X Box another. Yet these poor parents are navigating dirty rivers with hungry toddlers. It’s heartrending. I cannot imagine a worse station in life
Stewart and his show aren’t the brightest, most sophisticated bulbs out there, but I don’t think he’s vapid. I think he has matured and has moderate instincts. I liked his show from 2001-2015 or whenever he left, but the talent dried up after that first batch of correspondents left).

resources to accommodate so many in need etc.
We should not be looking into more resources to process asylum claims, unless that comes with mandatory detention or remain in Mexico for asylum seekers. We have to move off the current broken system whereby thousands show up at the border, say the magic words and then get released with a court date. There is nothing in law that says this is way it has to be. It's been an affirmative choice by this administration.

More immigration judges and asylum officers (the most radical progressives in DHS) serves to do nothing but more quickly facilitate our broken process. More humanitarian resources just creates a larger magnet as well.

Stewart and his show aren’t the brightest, most sophisticated bulbs out there, but I don’t think he’s vapid. I think he has matured and has moderate instincts. I liked his show from 2001-2015 or whenever he left, but the talent dried up after that first batch of correspondents left).
perhaps vapid is too strong. we'll reserve vapid for MTG and a few others

Last edited:
We should not be looking into more resources to process asylum claims, unless that comes with mandatory detention or remain in Mexico for asylum seekers. We have to move off the current broken system whereby thousands show up at the border, say the magic words and then get released with a court date. There is nothing in law that says this is way it has to be. It's been an affirmative choice by this administration.

More immigration judges and asylum officers (the most radical progressives in DHS) serves to do nothing but more quickly facilitate our broken process. More humanitarian resources just creates a larger magnet as well.
agreed.

Seriously??? Why would you post that? You think that has value? Do you think there is any truth to that? Even the title "migrant crime"??? Do you think that's funny? I watched the mother of Laken Riley bury her daughter. She's one of many who have been killed or violently raped by illegals. Do you have children? Do you have any idea of the thoughts that parents are dealing with due to this irresponsible handling of the border? I think about it every damn day! I worry more now thanks to something that should have never happened and is a cold hard truth. There is nothing positive about any of it.

Damn John Stewart has aged poorly. Is he Biden’s age? I’ve never found comedians or want to be comedians very funny when doing political satire or incorporating politics it into their act.

Calling something fearmongering or a boogeyman doesn't make it so. It's a major issue with major implications....
then Republicans should have passed the border bill

That will be the response to the fearmongering border posts from now on.

Seriously??? Why would you post that? You think that has value? Do you think there is any truth to that? Even the title "migrant crime"??? Do you think that's funny? I watched the mother of Laken Riley bury her daughter. She's one of many who have been killed or violently raped by illegals. Do you have children? Do you have any idea of the thoughts that parents are dealing with due to this irresponsible handling of the border? I think about it every damn day! I worry more now thanks to something that should have never happened and is a cold hard truth. There is nothing positive about any of it.
Have you looked at crime rate caused by Americans vs illegal immigrants?

Yea, spare me your fake outrage.

Also, if it is such a major issue then Republicans should have passed the border bill

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and T.M.P.
then Republicans should have passed the border bill

That will be the response to the fearmongering border posts from now on.
After reading most of the stuff posted here I should not have posted anything. You are not very informed. Do you have any idea what was in that bill? All it did was fund sanctuary cities (see Athens Georgia) and NGO's and did NOTHING to secure the border.

We have to move off the current broken system whereby thousands show up at the border, say the magic words and then get released with a court date. There is nothing in law that says this is way it has to be. It's been an affirmative choice by this administration.
Here is the section of the law:

(4) Claim of asylum or fear of persecution or torture. If an alien subject to the expedited removal provisions indicates an intention to apply for asylum, or expresses a fear of persecution or torture, or a fear of return to his or her country, the inspecting officer shall not proceed further with removal of the alien until the alien has been referred for an interview by an asylum officer in accordance with 8 CFR 208.30. The examining immigration officer shall record sufficient information...

Reactions: UncleMark
After reading most of the stuff posted here I should not have posted anything. You are not very informed. Do you have any idea what was in that bill? All it did was fund sanctuary cities (see Athens Georgia) and NGO's and did NOTHING to secure the border.
You may want to read the bill before posting.

And the conservative leaning border patrol approved the bill so I would take their opinion over your propaganda fed opinion that is totally inaccurate.

Here is a link just in case you want to educate yourself ;) I won't hold my breath because the border fearmongering is more based on partisan politics than caring about facts or even fixing the issue.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

(4) Claim of asylum or fear of persecution or torture. If an alien subject to the expedited removal provisions indicates an intention to apply for asylum, or expresses a fear of persecution or torture, or a fear of return to his or her country, the inspecting officer shall not proceed further with removal of the alien until the alien has been referred for an interview by an asylum officer in accordance with 8 CFR 208.30. The examining immigration officer shall record sufficient information...

Yeah that needs to be an amendment. I don’t have time to look but I wonder what showing has to be made. I tho k it was you who posted some other country had a tiered system based on the country of origin. That might help

You may want to read the bill before posting.

And the conservative leaning border patrol approved the bill so I would take their opinion over your propaganda fed opinion that is totally inaccurate
It’s like you learned a new word with propaganda

Biden screwed up the border. Like everything else. It’s an election year so he cares

It’s like you learned a new word with propaganda

Biden screwed up the border. Like everything else. It’s an election year so he cares
It's like he intentionally created a problem, to later push for funding to cure such problem, while also insisting the funding needed to cure the problem he created be paired with funding to one of his favorite money-laundering allies.

It's crazy enough to work. :D

Bring back the cages.

Couldn't Congress simply end accepting asylum seekers and deport those who are awaiting a final decision on their asylum request ?

Reactions: stollcpa and NPT
Couldn't Congress simply end accepting asylum seekers and deport those who are awaiting a final decision on their asylum request ?
Presumably there are still some valid asylum claims. Let’s enact a safe third country agreement with Mexico.

Reactions: DANC
Presumably there are still some valid asylum claims. Let’s enact a safe third country agreement with Mexico.
New Guy, according to this article there have been a fairly high percentage (40%) of the asylum seekers with valid cases since 2000 which resulted in being granted asylum.

The problem isn't validity of the claims. The problem is the huge number along with many cases which should have been accepted but were denied.

Consequently why offer asylum if we cannot deal with the volume and treat the demand equitably and fairly ?

The article upon which my arguments rests states the following...

Asylum has been granted in about 40% of the nearly 700,000 asylum cases that have been decided since 2000. Immigration judges in that time frame approved about 30% of the applications, or about 420,000 cases, filed by people in deportation proceedings after arriving at the border or after being apprehended within the U.S.

It’s important to note that just because people are not granted asylum does not mean they do not have a valid claim. Experts have previously told PolitiFact that cases can be denied because of procedural reasons, or because immigrants don’t have legal representation and aren’t able to effectively argue their case.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
New Guy, according to this article there have been a fairly high percentage (40%) of the asylum seekers with valid cases since 2000 which resulted in being granted asylum.

The problem isn't validity of the claims. The problem is the huge number along with many cases which should have been accepted but were denied.

Consequently why offer asylum if we cannot deal with the volume and treat the demand equitably and fairly ?

The article upon which my arguments rests states the following...

Asylum has been granted in about 40% of the nearly 700,000 asylum cases that have been decided since 2000. Immigration judges in that time frame approved about 30% of the applications, or about 420,000 cases, filed by people in deportation proceedings after arriving at the border or after being apprehended within the U.S.

It’s important to note that just because people are not granted asylum does not mean they do not have a valid claim. Experts have previously told PolitiFact that cases can be denied because of procedural reasons, or because immigrants don’t have legal representation and aren’t able to effectively argue their case.
I would grant that people who actually show up to their asylum hearing are more likely to meet the credible fear standard. Problem is that only a fraction ever show up.

We also need to start funneling these people through Mexico's asylum process as Mexico is also a safe country and most are crossing through there before entering the U.S.

If their concerns are truly for their health and well being and not economic in nature, why are they not applying in Mexico?

I would grant that people who actually show up to their asylum hearing are more likely to meet the credible fear standard. Problem is that only a fraction ever show up.

We also need to start funneling these people through Mexico's asylum process as Mexico is also a safe country and most are crossing through there before entering the U.S.

If their concerns are truly for their health and well being and not economic in nature, why are they not applying in Mexico?

If we ended asylum seeking asylum in Mexico would be the place to go.

Certainly not all, but for some they are fleeing narco gangs. I am not sure Mexico is safe for them.

For most from Venezuela I don't think that is the case, they are fleeing communism. Mexico would be good for them I would think. They just may recall the old days where Cubans fleeing communism could stay if they made it.

• Angry
Reactions: DANC and jet812
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT