ADVERTISEMENT

The sky is not falling

JWilk1234

Recruit
Sep 4, 2017
I'm surprised by how quickly a portion of the fanbase has turned on this team. We were a good team at the beginning of the year and we are still a good team now. Things just haven't broke our way. First game 2 pick sixes and Penix never recovered. Cincinnati had the targeting call not of happened I think we win that game. We might go into happy valley and loose, but its going to be a close game. Stock on Indiana football is down and they are not awful like some people are making them out to be.

I'm surprised by how quickly a portion of the fanbase has turned on this team. We were a good team at the beginning of the year and we are still a good team now. Things just haven't broke our way. First game 2 pick sixes and Penix never recovered. Cincinnati had the targeting call not of happened I think we win that game. We might go into happy valley and loose, but its going to be a close game. Stock on Indiana football is down and they are not awful like some people are making them out to be.

The expectations were more than "not awful".

Where would you rank IU in the top 50 right now?

Most of the power rankings put IU in the lower 4 teams of the league.

I believe a Michigan fan site I read had IU as #13 in the conference, only ahead of Illinois.

Truth is that there are maybe 2-3 teams that look really good and the rest of the 11 or 12 could win or lose on any given Saturday.

I will say, having watched a lot of IU football over the years, that the makeup of this team doesn’t resemble anywhere close to the 2008-2010 Hoosiers under Lynch. Many people have alluded to that “same old” team and while we may have dropped some, I don’t see it that way.
WKU was a game that previous IU teams would have completely folded during a little adversity.

This team needs to make a bowl game and actually win the bowl game. That's probably our next step in the evolution of this program.

Many of us, myself included, truly believed that a 9+ win season was in the cards this year. That was probably overly optimistic but maybe not; the McFadden ejection cost Indiana a victory over a top 10 opponent in UC.

As it stands, Indiana goes into PSU as a big underdog. That's OK, Indiana obviously plays better as an underdog. If the defense can stand tall early on, we can hopefully make it a ballgame.

This team needs to make a bowl game and actually win the bowl game. That's probably our next step in the evolution of this program.

Many of us, myself included, truly believed that a 9+ win season was in the cards this year. That was probably overly optimistic but maybe not; the McFadden ejection cost Indiana a victory over a top 10 opponent in UC.

As it stands, Indiana goes into PSU as a big underdog. That's OK, Indiana obviously plays better as an underdog. If the defense can stand tall early on, we can hopefully make it a ballgame.
Personally, I think IU is more or less in the same spot its been the last 5 years. Could win 9, could win 4.

I don’t buy the narrative the last two years that good records were because opponents were trash those specific two years. The ball bounces good or bad, we had good fortune last year, some bad fortune this year. Still nothing tells me that there are any unwinnable games on the schedule. The boys can/house feel the pressure that each game has more urgency to win since they’ve given at least one away through poor performance. But these are so far from the Hoosiers of yore that people should stop freaking out (and that’s not directed at you in the least).

Anyone who has already turned on the team wasn't a fan in the first place. I think there's a lot of understandable frustration, though, since there was so much promise heading into the season. Sometimes frustration comes out as anger or disgust. I know I've been guilty of that, but will bleed C & C 'til the day I die.

We clearly have talent, experience and depth on both sides of the ball, and the comparisons to the IU teams of 10-20 years ago are ridiculous. That said, we didn't get it done in Weeks 1 and 3, and looked pretty flat in Week 2. The top teams make plays to win big games, and we didn't make the plays in the Cincinnati game. (I'm thinking/hoping the shitshow at Iowa was an outlier and won't be repeated, so I'm not going to discuss it). And, just my perspective obviously, but I'm tired of the McFadden ejection excuse. We had three trips inside UC's 10 yard line that yielded no points. That's inexcusable. We gave up a 99-yard kickoff return for a TD. That's inexcusable. Hell, they could have had me in there at LB and we still would have won if the offense had done a better job of protecting the football, scoring in the red zone, and if we hadn't had the special teams lapse.

The Western Kentucky game was encouraging. Let's hope there are some positives that come out of this weekend's game, and here's to kicking Michigan State's ass after the bye week. That is now, I believe, the pivotal game of the season.

Proof the sky has fallen this season, would be IU not going to a bowl, & Purdue winning the Bucket game.

Sat., IU 17 - PSU 34/not good/close, even remotely -- If Penix throws more picks than TD passes, change QBs.

'Mind your banners'

There's always 'next season' :O

Last edited:
Anyone who has already turned on the team wasn't a fan in the first place. I think there's a lot of understandable frustration, though, since there was so much promise heading into the season. Sometimes frustration comes out as anger or disgust. I know I've been guilty of that, but will bleed C & C 'til the day I die.

We clearly have talent, experience and depth on both sides of the ball, and the comparisons to the IU teams of 10-20 years ago are ridiculous. That said, we didn't get it done in Weeks 1 and 3, and looked pretty flat in Week 2. The top teams make plays to win big games, and we didn't make the plays in the Cincinnati game. (I'm thinking/hoping the shitshow at Iowa was an outlier and won't be repeated, so I'm not going to discuss it). And, just my perspective obviously, but I'm tired of the McFadden ejection excuse. We had three trips inside UC's 10 yard line that yielded no points. That's inexcusable. We gave up a 99-yard kickoff return for a TD. That's inexcusable. Hell, they could have had me in there at LB and we still would have won if the offense had done a better job of protecting the football, scoring in the red zone, and if we hadn't had the special teams lapse.

The Western Kentucky game was encouraging. Let's hope there are some positives that come out of this weekend's game, and here's to kicking Michigan State's ass after the bye week. That is now, I believe, the pivotal game of the season.
Bottom line this season, better go to a bowl, & beat Purdue! If not, (this season, when?) you haven't 'arrived'.

If IU doesn't get to a bowl this season, Penix should be benched before the end of the season. There's always 'next season'.

Btw, complaining about 'injuries' in football, is like complaining of rain in FL. or Hawaii, it's gonna' happen, prepare for it ahead of time. If you can't/don't, you weren't as good/deep/talented as you/they thought you were.

Make ABSOLUTELY SURE your backups are ready to rock & roll/kick but! "They are who we thought they were!"

Depth, depth & depth

:O

Last edited:
we gave the iowa and cincy games away. good teams don't do that. these guys (and coaches) need to sack up and get a whole lot tougher.

Reactions: billyhillui
I have to say it, we spotted Iowa 21 points. We still lose, but minus 3 plays it was a pretty solid performance.
Cincy, yea Mcfadden hurt bad but good TEAMS are prepared for that. We lost but were not disrespected (Maybe by the zebra's but not the opponent).
I'm not 100% happy, and looking at the schedule not terribly dissapointeed, but pulling out a W on PSU would really help me.
Until we officially "turn a corner" against an historical lopsided schedule (league), I will remain optimistic and am the most optimistic that I've been in a long time.

Most of the power rankings put IU in the lower 4 teams of the league.

I believe a Michigan fan site I read had IU as #13 in the conference, only ahead of Illinois.

Truth is that there are maybe 2-3 teams that look really good and the rest of the 11 or 12 could win or lose on any given Saturday.

I will say, having watched a lot of IU football over the years, that the makeup of this team doesn’t resemble anywhere close to the 2008-2010 Hoosiers under Lynch. Many people have alluded to that “same old” team and while we may have dropped some, I don’t see it that way.
WKU was a game that previous IU teams would have completely folded during a little adversity.
The current Sagarin ratings have us at 11th in the conference at 55th overall, but only one below Nebraska. We are ahead of Minnesota, Northwestern and Illinois. The home field advantage for PSU of three points would have it favored by 12 against us.

We won the two games We were expected to win, which is fine. At Iowa, We were overwhelmed from the start and never got comfortable and untracked. The Cincy game has Me scratching my Head. I have never seen the absence of one Defensive Player have that big an effect on the outcome. Furthermore, show Me an Officiating crew at Columbus. Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa, or Penn State that would call a targeting call on the Home team upon review, when it hadn't been called on the field.

I haven’t seen many people think we’re awful. I think people are realizing the last couple years were more of a function of our weak schedules than anything. We’re still a battle for 6 program and not a battle for a title program. From what I’ve seen people are a little disappointed but they’re still excited for this team.

The difference between 5-7 and 7-5 is so very small. Indiana has a great opportunity to get a very big win on Saturday night. A win changes the entire trajectory of things. A loss puts them in a spot where they are potentially chasing and the Michigan State game is almost a must-win. If the Hoosiers play like we know they can play they will give Penn State all they can handle.

I haven’t seen many people think we’re awful. I think people are realizing the last couple years were more of a function of our weak schedules than anything. We’re still a battle for 6 program and not a battle for a title program. From what I’ve seen people are a little disappointed but they’re still excited for this team.
I don’t know if I’d say “weak schedules.” These are the same schools we play every year. Same school colors. Most fans who follow college football should know that IU made great strides in 2 years but success, sustained success, ain’t always a linear path.

Purdue has a laughably cream puff schedule this year.
That Allen picture you use, is about the worst one he has ever been associated with. Why do you use that picture? DD would use that kind of picture. It makes Allen look like a buck toothed, slack jaw hillbilly, at best.

That Allen picture you use, is about the worst one he has ever been associated with. Why do you use that picture? DD would use that kind of picture. It makes Allen look like a buck toothed, slack jaw hillbilly, at best.
As a 22-year resident of Brown County, I resemb...I RESENT that physical putdown in characterization of my woodland neighbors of lesser knowledge.

Mine in yours,

Dexter "Pus" Whitehead
Stone Head, IN

• Haha
Reactions: Radio Zero
Truth hurts I guess. You’re the sorriest, stupidest SOB I’ve ever seen troll this board, I know that…
I personally don't have a problem with Allen's photo. I would rather have a fiery looking guy than a dumb-in-consternation look of Tom Crean in that one infamous photo of his now mocked throughout the sporting world. Also true with Archie and his deer-in-headlight look of nearly every one. I don't think he had the right temperament for IU basketball. He kept everything inside and it was eating its way to the outside until finally it showed. Tom Allen's photo looks like he's gotten himself a little sideways, about to spurt some of that guttural venom past his fangs. I know I wouldn't ever want to piss him off in a retaliatory sort of way. It's always nice to have folks like that on our side, fighting for us and not them.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I personally don't have a problem with Allen's photo. I would rather have a fiery looking guy than a dumb-in-consternation look of Tom Crean in that one infamous photo of his now mocked throughout the sporting world. Also true with Archie and his deer-in-headlight look of nearly every one. I don't think he had the right temperament for IU basketball. He kept everything inside and it was eating its way to the outside until finally it showed. Tom Allen's photo looks like he's gotten himself a little sideways, about to spurt some of that guttural venom past his fangs. I know I wouldn't ever want to piss him off in a retaliatory sort of way. It's always nice to have folks like that on our side, fighting for us and not them.
If you were an IU fan, you wouldn't use that picture, unless you just wanted to pi** off Allen & all the IU fans?

If you were an IU fan, you wouldn't use that picture, unless you just wanted to pi** off Allen & all the IU fans?
It's not my photo, not one I would use, but it does grab attention, I must say. Geez, it's so damn small anyway. It wasn't submitted in consideration for the cover of Sports Illustrated. It's a dinky profile photo picked by a jockstrap-wearing competitor just like yourself. Let this person you don't even know have some fun with it. That's all this sports stuff is anyway, just fun, down time, hobby, extracurricular activities...something that alleviates the boredom in our lives. It gives us an outlet to buffer the stress in our lives, relinquishing the urges in primal flight for fright...last man standing wins the babe kind of thing. Everything is going to be okay, Man. Just keep doing what the good doctor, Dr. Feelgood, says.

You think he is more stupid than IUHickory?
Fact is you are a Purdue fan, who comes to this board, just to start trouble. Among your names you use on the Purdue board, but are too afraid to use on this board, are IUhaterade, JohnnyDoeBoiler, Level42, mathboy & several others. You moderate the Purdue, men's basketball board, & come over here to start arguments & insult the IU teams, coaches, players & fans.

Over the years you've moderated the Purdue board, you have banned hundreds of posters, simply for disagreeing with you, schooling you or exposing you for the fool, idiot & troublemaker we know you are.

Btw, know nothing, you were dead wrong about Painter using Edey & Williams together this season. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but you. I have forgotten more about basketball, than you will ever learn.

:O :O

Last edited:
Fact is you are a Purdue fan, who comes to this board, just to start trouble. Among your names you use on the Purdue board, but are too afraid to use on this board, are IUhaterade, JohnnyDoeBoiler, Level42, mathboy & several others. You moderate the Purdue, men's basketball board, & come over here to start arguments & insult the IU teams, coaches, players & fans.

Over the years you've moderated the Purdue board, you have banned hundreds of posters, simply for disagreeing with you, schooling you or exposing you for the fool, idiot & troublemaker we know you are.

Btw, know nothing, you were dead wrong about Painter using Edey & Williams together this season. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but you. I have forgotten more about basketball, than you will ever learn.

:O :O
Boo hoo what’s the matter, You can’t post on the Purdue board.

Boo hoo what’s the matter, You can’t post on the Purdue board.
JohnnyDoeBoiler, you are the idiot who kept claiming Painter would never play Williams & Edey together, & the Indy Star just confirmed your moron status (with 3 different stories, & more to come). How on earth could a GBI employee (big shot, yep, I know your real name) & MODERATOR on the Purdue men's basketball message board for many years, be so totally clueless for so long? :)

My dead dog Rover knows more about basketball than you.

Btw, JI, SS, MG, TW & ZE (& that dunce cap you've earned, fits you to a T)

:)

Last edited:
To me, that picture makes Allen look stupid. If you want to see more of that picture, go to the Purdue message board. They use that picture a lot over there, to make fun of Allen & IU football.

Obviously, you can take a picture of anyone at a very inopportune time, & make them look, well, however you want to make them look. That picture is one of those 'got you' pictures. I saw it often on the Purdue board, while Purdue posters were making fun of Allen & IU football. Lucy01/JohnnyDoeBoiler/IUhaterade could tell you a lot more about that.

To me, that picture makes Allen look stupid. If you want to see more of that picture, go to the Purdue message board. They use that picture a lot over there, to make fun of Allen & IU football.

Obviously, you can take a picture of anyone at a very inopportune time, & make them look, well, however you want to make them look. That picture is one of those 'got you' pictures. I saw it often on the Purdue board, while Purdue posters were making fun of Allen & IU football. Lucy01/JohnnyDoeBoiler/IUhaterade could tell you a lot more about that.
Your little scheme to try to tie me to Purdue won’t work, For on thing I don’t raise Hogs. I have never supported Purdue! But I do think you are a Mod on the Hoosier.

Your little scheme to try to tie me to Purdue won’t work, For on thing I don’t raise Hogs. I have never supported Purdue! But I do think you are a Mod on the Hoosier.
How did you know? The pay is horrible. Love the benefits/banning power though. :)

Btw, your old posts are still on the Purdue board. I like your IUhaterade name better. You should use it here. :)

You still mad

I Banned You

Last edited:

It's really quite simple, sounding to me like you need to just stay away from the PU board if what they post over there bothers you. Believe me, the PU farm boys are scared of Tom Allen and they know their guy has underperformed for the money it warranted for that hoopla. Haters do what it takes to fulfill their agenda. The press who hated Knight were notorious to including the worst possible photo of Knight when he did anything they perceived as wrong. One photo I remember them using must have been taken after he didn't sleep for 3 days...like he was some thug needing to be in prison, which is where they wanted him. I saw through that BS they were doing, but the Knight detractors bought into it. making themselves feel better after so many horsewhippings at the hands of IU. The next time you think that photo of Allen looks stupid iimagine in your mind, if you will, Pete, their mascot. Now, picture the face of the one who must have designed this misshapen head of paper mâché cretinism. Then you see the stupid, cause 'dat wha stupid do.

Last year was pure fools gold given the schedule. We didn't beat any good teams. Because of that many had unrealistic expectations. People are also pumped for the Woodson era to begin. That said, a win tonight could turn things around.

Last year was pure fools gold given the schedule. We didn't beat any good teams. Because of that many had unrealistic expectations. People are also pumped for the Woodson era to begin. That said, a win tonight could turn things around.
I’ve heard that a lot and it’s total bs. Maybe a basketball fan who just comes here to troll doesn’t know what they are looking at but the majority here know good football when they are looking at it. You can tell when a bad team is just beating other bad teams. We were not Alabama, Clemson, or OSU, but we were a good football team. So far it looks like a step back on just about every aspect. Expectations were higher because it was warranted. Expectations for Woodson are high right now as well and we will see how that goes soon.

It seems like only the day before yesterday, expectations for Miller were high, as well the well for Woodson. We saw how that went, all too soon.
With Archie people had expectations that we'd be good long term but there was never any one year where we had a great team on paper. This year's team is easily the best we've had since Yogi was here, possibly since Cody was here.

With Archie people had expectations that we'd be good long term but there was never any one year where we had a great team on paper. This year's team is easily the best we've had since Yogi was here, possibly since Cody was here.
Yet, it could have been better if others had stayed, best not to think. Hopefully, we won't miss the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT