ADVERTISEMENT

The sky is not falling

Look what Iowa did to Maryland and Cincinnati is a very good team. There is no comparing this IU team to IU teams of old. No way to say IU football is "same ole, same ole". IU of old would have been humiliated in both games by halftime; turning off the tv or walking out of the stadium in disgust asking those around us, "when will IU ever have a good football program". Tom Allen has given IU football fans a program to be proud of and a reason to pull all of our old IU gear out of moth balls. I was disappointed in the outcome of the Iowa game and IU should have been up 24 zip in the first quarter against Cincinnati. However, by year's end you can bet both of those teams will be highly ranked and enjoying incredible seasons. In reality there is no shame in losing those games. I believe IU will prove to be a good team with a respectable record. That may not be the highly anticipated record some of us hoped for but hoping for and expecting are two different things. Anyone expecting ANY team other than Alabama to run the table is setting themselves up for disappointment. Go Hoosiers !!!

With Archie people had expectations that we'd be good long term but there was never any one year where we had a great team on paper. This year's team is easily the best we've had since Yogi was here, possibly since Cody was here.
Don’t trip over your skirt. Cheerleading 101.

How can anybody say this is “easily the best IU team” when we haven’t played a real game yet? All new coaches bring excitement. Reality sets in in February.

Don’t trip over your skirt. Cheerleading 101.

How can anybody say this is “easily the best IU team” when we haven’t played a real game yet? All new coaches bring excitement. Reality sets in in February.
On paper it's easily the best team since Yogi. That said, all our teams since then have sucked so it doesn't necessarily mean much. I'm optimistic though.

On paper it's easily the best team since Yogi. That said, all our teams since then have sucked so it doesn't necessarily mean much. I'm optimistic though.
They could be improved and still finish in their usual 7-10 spot in the conference. Until they prove otherwise, that’s likely where they will be. The same IU basketball people have watched largely the past several years. Anything else is a bonus.

Yet, it could have been better if others had stayed, best not to think. Hopefully, we won't miss the difference.
Archie/Crean was a good recruiter, unless, as a player, you wanted your teammates to play good/lock down defense you planned on playing. Arch/Crean was about outscoring the opponents/track meets & scoring contests, just the opposite of legends like Bob Knight & Gene Keady. Only reason Arch/Crean lasted as long as he did, was recruiting. He sure could sell cars/recruit. CMW needs to stress defense from day one. The last two coaches seemed to have other things on their minds. Not good/IU history.

From Within

Last edited:
It's really quite simple, sounding to me like you need to just stay away from the PU board if what they post over there bothers you. Believe me, the PU farm boys are scared of Tom Allen and they know their guy has underperformed for the money it warranted for that hoopla. Haters do what it takes to fulfill their agenda. The press who hated Knight were notorious to including the worst possible photo of Knight when he did anything they perceived as wrong. One photo I remember them using must have been taken after he didn't sleep for 3 days...like he was some thug needing to be in prison, which is where they wanted him. I saw through that BS they were doing, but the Knight detractors bought into it. making themselves feel better after so many horsewhippings at the hands of IU. The next time you think that photo of Allen looks stupid iimagine in your mind, if you will, Pete, their mascot. Now, picture the face of the one who must have designed this misshapen head of paper mâché cretinism. Then you see the stupid, cause 'dat wha stupid do.
Using "fiery" to describe Allen on that picture, just don't see it. I would have picked another one. I have no problem admitting I'm a lifelong Purdue fan, but I don't come to these boards to put IU down, as many Purdue posters from the Purdue board often do. They often use different names on this board though, as Lucy01 does.

Today, if IU comes within seven points of PSU, IU held up well, all things considered.

Maybe, today is a better than normal day for Penix to run a little more, for first downs anyway. If he runs for 60 plus yards today, & has no turnovers, IU comes close to winning.

It seems like only the day before yesterday, expectations for Miller were high, as well the well for Woodson. We saw how that went, all too soon.
I’ll be the first to admit the IU fanbase was a full blown sell your possessions and move to the mountains cult for both Archie and Crean. It was completely bonkers around here. People are being much more realistic with Woodson.

Reactions: Birnk403
Look what Iowa did to Maryland and Cincinnati is a very good team. There is no comparing this IU team to IU teams of old. No way to say IU football is "same ole, same ole". IU of old would have been humiliated in both games by halftime; turning off the tv or walking out of the stadium in disgust asking those around us, "when will IU ever have a good football program". Tom Allen has given IU football fans a program to be proud of and a reason to pull all of our old IU gear out of moth balls. I was disappointed in the outcome of the Iowa game and IU should have been up 24 zip in the first quarter against Cincinnati. However, by year's end you can bet both of those teams will be highly ranked and enjoying incredible seasons. In reality there is no shame in losing those games. I believe IU will prove to be a good team with a respectable record. That may not be the highly anticipated record some of us hoped for but hoping for and expecting are two different things. Anyone expecting ANY team other than Alabama to run the table is setting themselves up for disappointment. Go Hoosiers !!!
How did IU beat PSU last season? Penix ran it for the winning score. IU will be destroyed if Penix doesn't start running the ball more, this game & going forward.

Watch & see

Antwaan Randle El

I'm surprised by how quickly a portion of the fanbase has turned on this team. We were a good team at the beginning of the year and we are still a good team now. Things just haven't broke our way. First game 2 pick sixes and Penix never recovered. Cincinnati had the targeting call not of happened I think we win that game. We might go into happy valley and loose, but its going to be a close game. Stock on Indiana football is down and they are not awful like some people are making them out to be.
Monday, noon: About IU, "They are who we thought they were!"

I get it, I get it

DD

By Devyn Ford being stupid enough to score a touchdown instead of taking a knee that would've killed the clock with Indiana trailing by 1 and without time outs. What do I win? :)
Penix is now injured. If he could have stayed healthier, while still running the ball tonight, IU might have had a chance, for awhile anyway. Penix is their best option/runner. Now, best beat Purdue, or Allen has a lot of 'splainin to do. All of the sudden, that Purdue game is huge, for IU anyway!

If Purdue has to beat IU to be bowl eligible, & IU doesn't win 6 games, an IU loss could be very hard to explain for Allen & IU football going forward.

Cheer up

Midnight Madness

Last edited:
Penix is now injured. If he could have stayed healthier, while still running the ball tonight, IU might have had a chance, for awhile anyway. Penix is their best option/runner. Now, best beat Purdue, or Allen has a lot of 'splainin to do.
That may prove to be difficult whether Penix plays or not. Last four meetings have been real tussles (each team winning 2). Last game that was decided by more than 7 was 2015.

That may prove to be difficult whether Penix plays or not. Last four meetings have been real tussles (each team winning 2). Last game that was decided by more than 7 was 2015.
Purdue just lost at home to MN. I still don't see Purdue beating IU this season, even though the game is at Purdue. IU needs Penix to come back soon, & healthy, so he can run more against teams/defenses like Purdue.

By the looks of it, IU might not beat Purdue in men's basketball for another couple of years, or more. Better take care of business on the football field, while they can.

Cheer up

Midnight Madness

Reactions: Sophie1970
I'm surprised by how quickly a portion of the fanbase has turned on this team. We were a good team at the beginning of the year and we are still a good team now. Things just haven't broke our way. First game 2 pick sixes and Penix never recovered. Cincinnati had the targeting call not of happened I think we win that game. We might go into happy valley and loose, but its going to be a close game. Stock on Indiana football is down and they are not awful like some people are making them out to be.
How do you feel today? Our defense is awesome and offense sucks.

Reactions: JWilk1234
Purdue just lost at home to MN. I still don't see Purdue beating IU this season, even though the game is at Purdue. IU needs Penix to come back soon, & healthy, so he can run more against teams/defenses like Purdue.

By the looks of it, IU might not beat Purdue in men's basketball for another couple of years, or more. Better take care of business on the football field, while they can.

Cheer up

Midnight Madness
Purdue appears to be a mirror reflection of us. Defense is good, offense is terrible. Final score may be 2 - 0

Purdue appears to be a mirror reflection of us. Defense is good, offense is terrible. Final score may be 2 - 0
I see few advantages for Purdue this season. QB is the one I see (& possibly coaching/head coach). Other than that, I see no (clear) advantages for Purdue. Recruiting the last couple of years says a lot, advantage IU, & probably going forward as well. One big (season to season) advantage I see, Purdue plays in the West division, & IU the East. Usually (including this season) the West division is easier, as it is this season, advantage Purdue.

Purdue's QB problem is similar to that of the Colts. Plummer & O'Connell are like Wentz/Ehlinger & Eason. O'Connell has a rocket arm, but lacks presence on the field/in the pocket, & Plummer seems to have more presence, but not as strong an arm as O'Connell. They best figure it out fast, Iowa is next up for Purdue.

I now think if Penix gets healthy again this season, IU should go back to him, & let him run (for first downs anyway) as much as he has to, to keep IU close/competitive (& maybe try some option/wishbone).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT