ADVERTISEMENT

The plight of blacks

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
i read a bit of the goals of the blm movement and it largely seems to focus on police organization/behavior etc. none of that addresses the staggering crime committed by blacks in impoverished areas etc. blm doesn’t get to the root of elevating black lives. So as unclemark says here’s some spitballing. And my stats are ballpark. AND I’m no economist. Not worth a shit at math either so if my numbers are wrong throw it all out.

There are about 30 million black adults in the US. There are about one million black millionaires. So back them out we have 29 million black adults. If you gave each one $100,000 it would total $2.9 trillion. The new stimulus the house passed is 3 trillion, by way of comparison.

A married black couple would have $200k. Cash. Tax free.

Legalize pot everywhere (not all drugs). Expand drug interdiction depts to rain hell down on any remaining drug trade in the cities. Expand drug courts in other places to keep people out of jail until we actually win the war on drugs. Come down hard on red lining but it shouldn’t be as much of a problem as these folks would have more assets. And we would have a massive increase in black home ownership, which has been a goal for decades in ending the issues that attend projects. Open more private schools to compete with these worthless inner city public schools.

I’ve come to think this might work and resultantly inure to the benefit of us all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
i read a bit of the goals of the blm movement and it largely seems to focus on police organization/behavior etc. none of that addresses the staggering crime committed by blacks in impoverished areas etc. blm doesn’t get to the root of elevating black lives. So as unclemark says here’s some spitballing. And my stats are ballpark. AND I’m no economist. Not worth a shit at math either so if my numbers are wrong throw it all out.

There are about 30 million black adults in the US. There are about one million black millionaires. So back them out we have 29 million black adults. If you gave each one $100,000 it would total $2.9 trillion. The new stimulus the house passed is 3 trillion, by way of comparison.

Legalize pot everywhere (not all drugs). Expand drug interdiction depts to rain hell down on any remaining drug trade in the cities. Expand drug courts in other places to keep people out of jail until we actually win the war on drugs. Come down hard on red lining but it shouldn’t be as much of a problem as these folks would have more assets. And we would have a massive increase in black home ownership, which has been a goal for decades in ending the issues that attend projects. Open more private schools to compete with these worthless inner city public schools.

I’ve come to think this might work and resultantly inure to the benefit of us all.

Sneaker stocks are a buy!

I know that’s why people wouldn’t support it. And who knows maybe it would get pissed away. But cops are by no means blacks’ biggest problem. It’s economics. They need an infusion of cash.
90% of the black community’s problems could be fixed by them and only them!

I know that’s why people wouldn’t support it. And who knows maybe it would get pissed away. But cops are by no means blacks’ biggest problem. It’s economics. They need an infusion of cash.

I think it is ignorant to think that throwing money at the problem, which has been done in various forms for a long time, is an actual fix. It's a Band-Aid.

That being said, there similar things that can be said about those of other races living in poverty, but it doesn't fit the reparations narrative.

I think it is ignorant to think that throwing money at the problem, which has been done in various forms for a long time, is an actual fix. It's a Band-Aid.

That being said, there similar things that can be said about those of other races living in poverty, but it doesn't fit the reparations narrative.
I don’t know. Welfare, in its various forms, is a band-aid. It hasn’t worked beyond subsistence. Tax abatements, enterprise zones etc haven’t done much. Moving projects from vertical to horizontal has helped. Ownership opportunities has helped. Maybe it’s time for a meaningful one-time cash infusion.

As for other races my history isn’t the greatest but with blacks you had slavery to the 1860s. Then segregation what another 100 years. Blacks really didn’t get much of a chance to get going economically.

Reactions: thezinfan1
I don’t know. Welfare, in its various forms, is a band-aid. It hasn’t worked beyond subsistence. Tax abatements, enterprise zones etc haven’t done much. Moving projects from vertical to horizontal has helped. Ownership opportunities has helped. Maybe it’s time for a meaningful one-time cash infusion.

As for other races my history isn’t the greatest but with blacks you had slavery to the 1860s. Then segregation what another 100 years. Blacks really didn’t get much of a chance to get going economically.
There's no quick fix. Until it becomes a norm that society in general accept people as people it will be a problem. None of that will stop store security following black kids through stores. That won't stop cashiers from asking for ID when poc use a credit card but not asking the white person behind or ahead. It will not stop landlords from denying housing at rate 20 times that of whites. The only thing that will is a change in cultural norms. People think of racism as being hanged or choked out by cops. That's what gets the attention, but a majority of racism is a constant barrage of mostly petty and benign differences in the way poc are treated. Most are so used to it, that it's just a part of their everyday lives along with the fear they may be choked out by cops.

Last edited:
There's no quick fix. Until it becomes a norm that society in general accept people as people it will be a problem. None of that will stop store security following black kids through stores. That won't stop cashiers from asking for ID when poc use a credit card but not asking the white person behind or ahead. It will not stop landlords from denying housing at rate 20 times that of whites. The only thing that will is a change in cultural norms. People think of racism as being hanged or choked out by cops. That's what gets the attention, but a majority of racism is a constant barrage of mostly petty and benign differences in the way poc are treated. Most are so used to it, that it's just a part of their everyday lives along with the fear they may be choked out by cops.
Accepting people as people won’t happen or it already would have imo. You obviously are a good dude. An ahole but a good dude. Many people aren’t. Crime is still going to be higher in black nhoods. Drugs are still going to be more prevalent. Dropout rates higher. All the things that create stereotypes, that engender and foster racism, will not change by blm imo. The only way to change all that is to change the black condition. And imo that’s $. Better schools. Home ownership not rent. That alone limits red lining. Criminal justice reform. All that stuff will be directly facilitated or be a byproduct of raising their economic standing.

People think of racism as being hanged or choked out by cops. That's what gets the attention, but a majority of racism is a constant barrage of mostly petty and benign differences in the way poc are treated. Most are so used to it, that it's just a part of their everyday lives along with the fear they may be choked out by cops.

That makes me think of the incident the other day of two black kids being handcuffed for jaywalking. I have seen thousands of white people jaywalk. Heck, I watched people in Indy jaywalk as an officer was directing traffic through an intersection during a big event. He yelled at them to get out of the street, never went to handcuff them.

I am wondering if there is a "we can scare them straight" mentality at play?

Accepting people as people won’t happen or it already would have imo.
Not true. It just takes generations and though poc are still not treated equally, they are treated better. Example: no longer is it socially acceptable to call someone n***** or reference them as "boy" in public at least. Blacks are allowed to play basketball with whites now.

The needle has moved just very slowly. Also, each generation, especially in the cities are becoming more integrated and diverse and more families are becoming integrated. Just as the Irish are no longer "those people" ......

Last edited:
The way you guys are talking about black people is inherently racist on this deep subconscious level.

You’re talking about them like they are dogs, completely and totally incapable of self determination

Not true. It just takes generations and though poc are still not treated equally, they are treated better. Example: no longer is it socially acceptable to call someone n***** or reference them as "boy" in public at least. Blacks are allowed to play basketball, and vote.

The needle has moved just very slowly. Also, each generation, especially in the cities are becoming more integrated and diverse and more families are becoming integrated. Just as the Irish are no longer "those people" ......
If we’re talking generations yes. Agreed. I was thinking of how to expedite that

The way you guys are talking about black people is inherently racist on this deep subconscious level.

You’re talking about them like they are dogs, completely and totally incapable of self determination
No. They have obstacles whites don’t.

Ideas. Have to have ideas.

why do you have to have an idea to help someone else who is of sound mind and body?

the hidden implication seems to be that, in your opinion, they are not of sound mind and body and therefore require special treatment

Accepting people as people won’t happen or it already would have imo. You obviously are a good dude. An ahole but a good dude. Many people aren’t. Crime is still going to be higher in black nhoods. Drugs are still going to be more prevalent. Dropout rates higher. All the things that create stereotypes, that engender and foster racism, will not change by blm imo. The only way to change all that is to change the black condition. And imo that’s $. Better schools. Home ownership not rent. That alone limits red lining. Criminal justice reform. All that stuff will be directly facilitated or be a byproduct of raising their economic standing.

Long ago and far away I discovered by living and working in a variety of neighborhoods that the incidence of problem conduct - criminal, neglect, irresponsiblity, general bad conduct - was quite readily predictable - data bore this discovery out - by how people provided for their housing. Most trouble in weekly and monthly rental. The least in neighborhoods where folks own their homes. The more attachment people had to the property they lived on, the lesser the trouble. Race had absolutely nothing to do with that causation. Or in short form - show me how people provide for their housing and I'll know how intense will be the demand for police services. Don't tell me their race. Its irrelevant under that examination.

Long ago and far away I discovered by living and working in a variety of neighborhoods that the incidence of problem conduct - criminal, neglect, irresponsiblity, general bad conduct - was quite readily predictable - data bore this discovery out - by how people provided for their housing. Most trouble in weekly and monthly rental. The least in neighborhoods where folks own their homes. The more attachment people had to the property they lived on, the lesser the trouble. Race had absolutely nothing to do with that causation. Or in short form - show me how people provide for their housing and I'll know how intense will be the demand for police services. Don't tell me their race. Its irrelevant under that examination.
For sure.

https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/these-five-facts-reveal-current-crisis-black-homeownership

why do you have to have an idea to help someone else who is of sound mind and body?

the hidden implication seems to be that, in your opinion, they are not of sound mind and body and therefore require special treatment
Not at all. Sound body and mind are two of many factors that contribute to one’s success and station in life. The other factors are what need tweaking to even the playing field

That makes me think of the incident the other day of two black kids being handcuffed for jaywalking. I have seen thousands of white people jaywalk. Heck, I watched people in Indy jaywalk as an officer was directing traffic through an intersection during a big event. He yelled at them to get out of the street, never went to handcuff them.

I am wondering if there is a "we can scare them straight" mentality at play?
It's a different world ..

My friend Gerald was a lawyer, RIP, he drove a BMW and lived in the richest part of the city. He was pulled over and treated like he stole the car more than once. Anytime he had a get together at his house, with both black and white friends, someone called the police and complained. Every freakin time.

My other friend Jon, who was born in Sierra Leone educated at Oxford and is a VP of sales at a place in Atlanta, has bright neon orange seat belts in his car and sometimes carries a white shirt to wear when driving. Wearing a dark seat belt against a dark suit gets him pulled over constantly.

Why is there a market for bright orange and other neon colored seat belts? Hmmmm ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
11 million illegals have jobs, couldn’t Blacks do those jobs? Why is that?

It's a different world ..

My friend Gerald was a lawyer, RIP, he drove a BMW and lived in the richest part of the city. He was pulled over and treated like he stole the car more than once. Anytime he had a get together at his house, with both black and white friends, someone called the police and complains. Every freakin time.

My other friend Jon, who was born in Sierra Leone educated at Oxford and is a VP of sales at a place in Atlanta, has bright orange seat belts in his car and sometimes carries a white shirt to wear when driving. Wearing a dark seat belt against a dark suit gets him pulled over constantly.

Why is there a market for bright orange and other neon colored seat belts?

A former minister of mine was an uncle to two black youths. One attended Stanford, the other attended Northwestern. He said both were good kids, studious, and smart. He also said when the subject of police came up, they were quite fearful.

Can anyone explain why kids going to Stanford and Northwestern would be afraid of the police? These were not typical inner city gang members, or even suburban gang wannabees.

Obviously for the same reason someone wants an orange seat belt.

I am just shocked that welfare and food stamps hasn’t worked!
Oh, but it has for those who use it correctly. Whoopi Goldberg credits it for giving her enough stability to get back on her feet and make it on her own. I've heard interviews with her saying that the problem with welfare is that people don't use it as temporary assistance.

I think the main idea is not aimed at the players, but at the playing field.

If a home team, at halftime, secretly installed rims on the visiting team's goal that were smaller than the diameter of the ball, is it treating the visiting team like inferior athletes if the refs insist the rims be replaced with regulation equipment?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I think the main idea is not aimed at the players, but at the playing field.

If a home team, at halftime, secretly installed rims on the visiting team's goal that were smaller than the diameter of the ball, is it treating the visiting team like inferior athletes if the refs insist the rims be replaced with regulation equipment?

Give me a break. Victims will be victimized, winners will win.

Reactions: Lucy01
Give me a break. Victims will be victimized, winners will win.

I agree, Duke deserved to win in 1992.

Duke were the winners, we were simply losers.

Except in this case Duke always wins and we always lose while having nearly our starting lineup foul out every game.

This scene from Mississippi Burning touches on the double tap of burdon that a black family had to overcome in the mid 1900's.

One, not only were blacks percieved as second class citizens that had most odds turned against them in favor of the 'house' (whites, like with the police and judicial system) but if a black family actually saw some success against those odds...that was seen as a slap in the face to whites and it would get 'rectified' most of the time.

See the Tulsa massacre of 1921.

Speaking of the Tusla Massacre of 1921.

HBO's Watchmen opens up with it and I thought it was fiction to set the story....I didn't know it really happened.

There was a plane flying above the city dropping bombs on black businesses.

Black corpses were dragged through the street (I'm assuming they weren't corpses when they first got dragged).

The Klan opened fire on children.

Yes, this is is just three generations ago.

This is why the confederate flag is so offensive regardless what the daughters of the confederacy tried to teach the southern children post civil war (most monuments went up in the early 1900's as the confederacy was being taught in Southern states as honorable and simply a story of our proud grandparents, who are now dying, were simply standing up for their American, state rights. We must honor them now).

HBO's Watchmen opens up with it and I thought it was fiction to set the story....I didn't know it really happened.

Black corpses were dragged through the street (I'm assuming they weren't corpses when they first got dragged).

This is why the confederate flag is so offensive regardless what the daughters of the confederacy tried to teach the southern children post civil war (most monuments went up in the early 1900's as the confederacy was being taught in Southern states as honorable and simply a story of our proud grandparents, who are now dying, were simply standing up for their American, state rights. We must honor them now).

Is that what MAGA really means.....

Is that what MAGA really means.....

Unfortunately yeah it has to be because the country in general had one of its greatest economic expanses during Obama's terms.

Remember how it was from 2000 to 2008 and its THREE economic crashes and double digit unemployment.

In Trump speak the country was at an all time high when Obama left which would mean it was historically great.

So what 'great' was he referring to? Tulsa time?

Horace Cooper has some ideas.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/horace-cooper-problem-solving-class-livelihood-victims

This is grim, and I don’t mean to suggest otherwise, but it’s Friday, and I’m trying to cheer up, so . . .

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT