ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville shootings this weekend

TDHoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2001
Louisville had another shooting this weekend killing 2 and injuring 4 in a local park. While the bank shooting has caught countless headlines and the city has had a ton of candle light visuals for the victims barely a word was spoken about the park shootings. I wonder why? lol If you look up the specifics you will be able to figure it out. I can say that gun control is an issue when it involves a certain narrative. For a city so entrenched in BLM, they show little concern to the numerous deaths to young black males daily, the politics of Louisville are as phony as they come.

Louisville had another shooting this weekend killing 2 and injuring 4 in a local park. While the bank shooting has caught countless headlines and the city has had a ton of candle light visuals for the victims barely a word was spoken about the park shootings. I wonder why? lol If you look up the specifics you will be able to figure it out. I can say that gun control is an issue when it involves a certain narrative. For a city so entrenched in BLM, they show little concern to the numerous deaths to young black males daily, the politics of Louisville are as phony as they come.
Another thread covered this

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
We need to have a pinned thread entitled "today's mass shooting, sponsored by the NRA and GOP"

A moderator can update the thread title with the name of the city affected that day, or perhaps that hour, since only one mass shooting in a day is apparently a lot to ask for.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
We need to have a pinned thread entitled "today's mass shooting, sponsored by the NRA and GOP"

A moderator can update the thread title with the name of the city affected that day, or perhaps that hour, since only one mass shooting in a day is apparently a lot to ask for.
To lump this one into your narrative about the NRA or GOP is foolish, this one should be lumped into gangs, drugs and poverty. Louisville in all its glory has, IMO no desire to level any playing field. The BLM and all the crap the former Mayor spoke was just for show. I'm very certain they have no desire to unarm the bad in Louisville that is why the second amendment is so necessary.

So ****ing stupid.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
If urban Louisville is anything like urban Indy then I'd imagine there are any number of things the community is doing to try and reduce crime that aren't flashy and conspicuous. Things like the Boys and Girls Clubs, other youth programs, education programs, sports programs, and food security programs. Don't mistake things not being on the news with apathy.

The reason things like the ONB shooting or school shootings make the news so much is because of the hard truth of the matter with those situations. For the VAST majority of shootings in an urban environment, your risk of being shot is almost non-existent if you're not engaged in the drugs/gangs community. Mass shooting like that happen in the bank or at schools is the kind of thing that can get anyone for being unlucky enough to be somewhere where some crazy person with access to a weapon has a bone to pick.

If urban Louisville is anything like urban Indy then I'd imagine there are any number of things the community is doing to try and reduce crime that aren't flashy and conspicuous. Things like the Boys and Girls Clubs, other youth programs, education programs, sports programs, and food security programs. Don't mistake things not being on the news with apathy.
The new Chicago mayor keeps harping on this. More after school programs, keep the parks open later, increased school counseling.

That stuff is well and good for the most part but it doesn’t solve the root problem of being raised in a dysfunctional household.

Turning kids into wards of the state because they have absent, abusive or just plain terrible parental role models is not a solution.

Reactions: Spartans9312

The reason things like the ONB shooting or school shootings make the news so much is because of the hard truth of the matter with those situations. For the VAST majority of shootings in an urban environment, your risk of being shot is almost non-existent if you're not engaged in the drugs/gangs community. Mass shooting like that happen in the bank or at schools is the kind of thing that can get anyone for being unlucky enough to be somewhere where some crazy person with access to a weapon has a bone to pick.
The other poster addressed this but until you get unity in the family or get drugs out of the picture it is all for not. The programs you speak of have been around for decades. What you speak of are like putting Band-Aids over bullet holes. The shame of one thing you mentioned is that recreational sports are going by the way side due to "money makers" like travel ball and AAU circuits. The individuals who ran those programs usually had/have kids that participate in travel ball as opposed to community leagues like Little League and such and therefore abandon those sports programs.

The ONB shooting is unfortunate, I think if we decide to arm those to protect themselves better you would see a decrease in all shootings of this sort. I can tell you from working in a corporate banking environment for years one thing is 100% certain and that is there are no guns in the building and the shooter knew it. Cowards like him will always attach where there is little resistance.

The other poster addressed this but until you get unity in the family or get drugs out of the picture it is all for not. The programs you speak of have been around for decades. What you speak of are like putting Band-Aids over bullet holes. The shame of one thing you mentioned is that recreational sports are going by the way side due to "money makers" like travel ball and AAU circuits. The individuals who ran those programs usually had/have kids that participate in travel ball as opposed to community leagues like Little League and such and therefore abandon those sports programs.

The ONB shooting is unfortunate, I think if we decide to arm those to protect themselves better you would see a decrease in all shootings of this sort. I can tell you from working in a corporate banking environment for years one thing is 100% certain and that is there are no guns in the building and the shooter knew it. Cowards like him will always attach where there is little resistance.

Do we know if he had a license to carry since Kentucky is one of 26 states that doesn't require one to purchase and carry?

I doubt he did.

Getting guns is entirely to easy. Why don't we start there?

I don't disagree that we need to see more community building and reduction in addiction. The rub is how do you do it?

If anyone knows how to fix these issues there's a Nobel Peace Prize waiting for them. And simple answers like, "marriage" ain't it. There's been poverty and addiction in the US forever. Granted, the addiction for most of our history was alcohol abuse and not hard drugs, but nonetheless.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I don't disagree that we need to see more community building and reduction in addiction. The rub is how do you do it?

If anyone knows how to fix these issues there's a Nobel Peace Prize waiting for them. And simple answers like, "marriage" ain't it. There's been poverty and addiction in the US forever. Granted, the addiction for most of our history was alcohol abuse and not hard drugs, but nonetheless.
Longer gun sentences
More gun regs
More cops
Greater accountability amongst Dems and the black community
No more progressive mayors and prosecutors
Larger financial investments in these communities
More ownership opportunities

Do we know if he had a license to carry since Kentucky is one of 26 states that doesn't require one to purchase and carry?

I doubt he did.

He would pass any road block you gave him, smart kid, good family and no priors or signs he was a danger. My son in law is friends with a few guys that knew him (they are all the same age) and none said they would have ever seen this coming. Sometimes bad shit happens it sucks, I just believe if he knew there could have been resistance he would have thought twice.

If anyone knows how to fix these issues there's a Nobel Peace Prize waiting for them. And simple answers like, "marriage" ain't it.
I couldn't disagree more. There is plenty of data showing that almost all outcomes are much worse for boys who grow up without a father. Including, violence, overdoses, learning disabilities, depression, and etc.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I couldn't disagree more. There is plenty of data showing that almost all outcomes are much worse for boys who grow up without a father. Including, violence, overdoses, learning disabilities, depression, and etc.
Anyone that works with the public knows this is common knowledge.
It’s not even debatable

Reactions: snarlcakes
He would pass any road block you gave him, smart kid, good family and no priors or signs he was a danger. My son in law is friends with a few guys that knew him (they are all the same age) and none said they would have ever seen this coming. Sometimes bad shit happens it sucks, I just believe if he knew there could have been resistance he would have thought twice.

Lets just keep kicking the can down the road....

If anyone knows how to fix these issues there's a Nobel Peace Prize waiting for them. And simple answers like, "marriage" ain't it. There's been poverty and addiction in the US forever. Granted, the addiction for most of our history was alcohol abuse and not hard drugs, but nonetheless

Stiffer penalties for those who commit crimes, put blame where blame lies with the individual not some social injustice he/she believes they have to endure. Education is another, we need to stop worrying so much about a college degree and make it tougher to get a high school diploma. Fewer hands outs and more praise to those who overcome and push forward, we worry to much about peoples feelings and IMO it has made generations after mine extremely weak.

Anyone that works with the public knows this is common knowledge.
It’s not even debatable
It's still not the cure.

If it were, there wouldn't have been high rates of crime and alcoholism 100+ years ago in a far less urbanized country with a far more married population. There's more to it.

At least @mcmurtry66 is throwing out some ideas. I think some of them are more posturing then anything (e.g., greater accountability for Dems), but ideas nonetheless.

Reactions: hoosboot
It's still not the cure.

If it were, there wouldn't have been high rates of crime and alcoholism 100+ years ago in a far less urbanized country with a far more married population. There's more to it.

At least @mcmurtry66 is throwing out some ideas. I think some of them are more posturing then anything (e.g., greater accountability for Dems), but ideas nonetheless.
It’s a very large piece of the pie

Ok sounds good to me, I'm assuming you have a better plan?

Then doing nothing, sure.

Lets start with red flag laws. Docs flag you for mental or psychological problems, no guns, period. That should be non-debatable.

I'd like to see everyone have a carry permit, with training. I'm tired of seeing every Tom, Dick and Harry at Kroger have a piece on their belt think their some big shot just waiting for something to pop off, when in reality, what would probably happen is they would do more harm then good.

Semi auto weapons, if they are in public, not at home and you have one, you can be arrested. What is the purpose of being out in public other then looking for trouble? I know people love to have them, I've got a number of people in my family that own them, but all they ever get used for is target practice.

A country wide age restriction. You have to be at least 21 to own a gun unless you are in the military of some kind. If you aren't old enough to drink, you shouldn't have a gun.

Those are just off the top of my head. I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Edit: wrote this up quickly, totally spaced on background checks. That needs to be up there as well.

Last edited:

I doubt he did.

Criminals will get guns regardless if they have licenses.. don’t be dumb

You have to be at least 21 to own a gun unless you are in the military of some kind. If you aren't old enough to drink, you shouldn't have a gun.
I don't think a one size fits all law, for every firearm, is appropriate. It was not a problem, as a teenager, having hunting rifles and shotguns on a farm in southern Indiana. it wouldn't be a problem on a ranch in Montana or Texas.

I can see a must-be-21 law for AR15-style weapons, carefully defined. Even for handguns and for any firearm with high capacity magazines.

I don't think a one size fits all law, for every firearm, is appropriate. It was not a problem, as a teenager, having hunting rifles and shotguns on a farm in southern Indiana. it wouldn't be a problem on a ranch in Montana or Texas.

I can see a must-be-21 law for AR15-style weapons, carefully defined. Even for handguns and for any firearm with high capacity magazines.
I agree.

That's fair

Then doing nothing, sure.

Lets start with red flag laws. Docs flag you for mental or psychological problems, no guns, period. That should be non-debatable.

I'd like to see everyone have a carry permit, with training. I'm tired of seeing every Tom, Dick and Harry at Kroger have a piece on their belt think their some big shot just waiting for something to pop off, when in reality, what would probably happen is they would do more harm then good.

Semi auto weapons, if they are in public, not at home and you have one, you can be arrested. What is the purpose of being out in public other then looking for trouble? I know people love to have them, I've got a number of people in my family that own them, but all they ever get used for is target practice.

A country wide age restriction. You have to be at least 21 to own a gun unless you are in the military of some kind. If you aren't old enough to drink, you shouldn't have a gun.

Those are just off the top of my head. I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Edit: wrote this up quickly, totally spaced on background checks. That needs to be up there as well.
Red flag laws would only work for registered gun stores I would say more than half of gun purchases are done in private or at an auction.

I'm not sure what training would do but ok, this thread is about intended shootings not accidents. Those in Kroger probably never take it off their side.

Define semi-automatic? I have never seen anyone just randomly walking around with an assault rifle?

Age restriction, nice go to war at 18 and shoot the bad guy there but wait until you are 21 here in the US to do the same, lol.

Come down to Southern Indiana I probably know 3-4 guys that will sell you a gun, probably wouldn't run a check on you either. :)

There are no laws that would eliminate all mass shootings, but is it a bad thing to try to (say) cut them by a factor of 2 or 3? Lots of mass shooters with histories of mental illness do buy their new guns, legally, from gun stores, and days or just hours later murder people.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
The new Chicago mayor keeps harping on this. More after school programs, keep the parks open later, increased school counseling.

That stuff is well and good for the most part but it doesn’t solve the root problem of being raised in a dysfunctional household.

Turning kids into wards of the state because they have absent, abusive or just plain terrible parental role models is not a solution.
The Chicago Mayor's and incoming Mayor's response is just stupid. The problem wasn't that that group of kids didn't have a safe place to go--they, in fact, went to a safe place: Michigan Ave. They, then, made it unsafe.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT