ADVERTISEMENT

The Louisville Shooter Had All The Advantages

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
He was "popular" - in a high social profile family - dad was the basketball coach at his Indiana high school. He had a degree and a job at a bank, after a couple of internships at the same bank. Seemingly on the road to success. But ... he still had mental health/emotional health issues, and even had the best available care for that - he was seeing a psychiatrist and taking the prescribed meds. No other signs of violence. CTE? Meds? Satan?

And he still got a gun LEGALLY (doesn't really matter what kind - he was legal to buy ANY legal weapon, despite his current mental treatments).

So do we err on the side of protecting/allowing liability for (1) gun industry, (2) drug industry, (3) mental health industry, (4) all, or write it off as the occasional price we pay for having a free society?

Can we REALLY expect/anticipate that our legislatures/legislators can fix any problem other than running for re-election? Do YOU envision a Congress or state house changing ANY law to address ANY part of this problem? Nope - they're busy shooting the wrong ball.

Our cell phones/social media have increased the participation of the mean, the dishonest, and the violent in our society. They used to hide from society - now they rule and abuse the good people. How do we fix that?

Hell, I'm starting to long for Carter's Malaise, but even his "human rights heart" is not long for this world.

Billy Graham is dead.
Ronald Reagan is dead.
Jimmy Carter is on his last legs.
We have nothing left but polarizing politics and violence.

I don't disagree with you. I feel like we as a society have been having this type of conversation for the better part of the last decade and a half or so. We all acknowledge the minority extremes on both ends of the political spectrum have the loudest voices and that they often drown out agreed-upon common sense (ie gun laws), but to date, it's met with a weird combination of a lament and a shrug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Can we REALLY expect/anticipate that our legislatures/legislators can fix any problem other than running for re-election? Do YOU envision a Congress or state house changing ANY law to address ANY part of this problem? Nope - they're busy shooting the wrong ball.

We should but we don't. I still envision a Congress or state house that can actually legislate. The path there is a bit muddy.

But there are good people in this world, both liberal and conservative, who could make laws, compromise, argue vehemently, and then get dinner after. We don't elect them. Sometimes it's becuase they don't run (we lean into this but I'm not sure it's altogether true). Most time it's b/c we like the mean, petty, low information bullshit.

Again, our Congress is a reflection of our society. And we act shocked it's a f*cking disaster.

We should but we don't. I still envision a Congress or state house that can actually legislate. The path there is a bit muddy.

But there are good people in this world, both liberal and conservative, who could make laws, compromise, argue vehemently, and then get dinner after. We don't elect them. Sometimes it's becuase they don't run (we lean into this but I'm not sure it's altogether true). Most time it's b/c we like the mean, petty, low information bullshit.

Again, our Congress is a reflection of our society. And we act shocked it's a f*cking disaster.
It's the silly stuff that gets the headlines. Like Ron DeSantis' culture wars against 'wokeism' or whatever he's railing against. That kind of stuff is creeping up all over the country. Several state legislatures are trying to strip away diversity and inclusion efforts. I view their efforts as a huge waste of time and focusing on things that shouldn't be legislated.

Reactions: larsIU
Guy shouldn't have been able to walk into a gun shop and walk out 40 minutes later with an AR-15.

There are far too many guns in the hands of the wrong people. No other developed nation on the planet has this problem to anywhere near this degree, and it's only going to get worse. Don't vote for anyone who doesn't support sensible gun legislation.

I don't disagree with you. I feel like we as a society have been having this type of conversation for the better part of the last decade and a half or so. We all acknowledge the minority extremes on both ends of the political spectrum have the loudest voices and that they often drown out agreed-upon common sense (ie gun laws), but to date, it's met with a combination of a weird combination of a lament and a shrug.
Could not agree more

Reactions: Ohio Guy
They feel the way they are taught to feel?
Interesting headline that indicates the generation feels anxious about the future...as opposed to past generations who indicate such bullishness about the world.

On a more serious note, I am wholly not surprised that more Gen Zers have been diagnosed with a mental health condition considering it wasn't really until the last 10 years that we've started to recognize that we have been minimizing and ostracizing the recognition of mental health issues.

Reactions: cosmickid
Couldn't agree more. I'm trying to connect how anxiety and depression cause one to have such evil in them to kill others? I understand bodily harm or even suicide which is horrible, but to purposefully go and do such a thing is bigger than that.

He got a gun pretty quick, I know if he really wanted a gun and was denied at the store he could get one quicker than 40 minutes it just may have cost him a bit more than 600.00. I thought it was important that his parents who knew he was battling "anxiety" said there were no warning signs or indicators at all and they were around him. I wonder how longer times could eliminate this without having to disclose medical conditions that very may violate his HIPA rights?

Perhaps they've been taught they should feel good and be happy and successful and fulfilled, and when that isn't what happens they don't know what's wrong?

Life can be hard, be unfair, be disappointing. When you've been shielded from that or told that studying hard and working hard will inevitably lead to happiness, success, and fulfillment, what happens when things don't quite work out that way?

Perhaps they've been taught they should feel good and be happy and successful and fulfilled, and when that isn't what happens they don't know what's wrong?

Life can be hard, be unfair, be disappointing. When you've been shielded from that or told that studying hard and working hard will inevitably lead to happiness, success, and fulfillment, what happens when things don't quite work out that way?

I think you are on to a point, if making money is supposed to make one happy and it doesn't, what's left?

I think you are on to a point, if making money is supposed to make one happy and it doesn't, what's left?

There's more to it than money, obviously. (Not even considering not making the kind of money you always thought you would or should.) Especially for the young people who spend so much time on the socials seeing people portray their lives as so fun and hip and exciting and feeling so inadequate by comparison.

It's one reason I think kids should have jobs. The real world sucks sometimes and kids need to learn that, and it's best they learn it while they're still home and the parents can help them deal with it.

There's more to it than money, obviously. (Not even considering not making the kind of money you always thought you would or should.) Especially for the young people who spend so much time on the socials seeing people portray their lives as so fun and hip and exciting and feeling so inadequate by comparison.

It's one reason I think kids should have jobs. The real world sucks sometimes and kids need to learn that, and it's best they learn it while they're still home and the parents can help them deal with it.

I agree, money is just an easy point.

Personally I think enjoying and appreciating the little moments are the secret.

Three things have happened recently which give me hope for my 16 y/o. She wants her license, a car, and already has a job.

I still harbor doubts but she might be able to muddle through

He was "popular" - in a high social profile family - dad was the basketball coach at his Indiana high school. He had a degree and a job at a bank, after a couple of internships at the same bank. Seemingly on the road to success. But ... he still had mental health/emotional health issues, and even had the best available care for that - he was seeing a psychiatrist and taking the prescribed meds. No other signs of violence. CTE? Meds? Satan?

And he still got a gun LEGALLY (doesn't really matter what kind - he was legal to buy ANY legal weapon, despite his current mental treatments).

So do we err on the side of protecting/allowing liability for (1) gun industry, (2) drug industry, (3) mental health industry, (4) all, or write it off as the occasional price we pay for having a free society?

Our cell phones/social media have increased the participation of the mean, the dishonest, and the violent in our society. They used to hide from society - now they rule and abuse the good people. How do we fix that?

Hell, I'm starting to long for Carter's Malaise, but even his "human rights heart" is not long for this world.

Billy Graham is dead.
Ronald Reagan is dead.
Jimmy Carter is on his last legs.
We have nothing left but polarizing politics and violence.

all other 1st world countries have already figured this out.

just as they've all already figured out health care.

our idiocracy doesn't care that our biggest problems have already been solved by literally all other 1st world countries, and proven beyond question.

only the US debates daily the sum of 2+2, and pretends the question is too complicated to solve.

the solutions are known, and proven.

the idiocracy just doesn't care, and debates them all day everyday as if these problems haven't already been solved and proven by everyone else on earth.

Reactions: UncleMark
What are people's definition of "common-sense" gun laws?

Thankfully I don't need to go to a gunstore and buy an AR. I can build them at home instead.

I don't really care anymore what new laws the federal government passes, I will just ignore them.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Three things have happened recently which give me hope for my 16 y/o. She wants her license, a car, and already has a job.

I still harbor doubts but she might be able to muddle through

Parents also need to bring some suck into their kids lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT