ADVERTISEMENT

The best rant I’ve seen yet.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
Found this on Twitter.

Pete’s Hot Takes to Fix IU bball #iubb

1. New coach. Need a proven winner AND someone who understands promoting and growing a brand. Not just a “return to what was” guy but transitioning the brand for a younger fanbase. Make it cool for kids to like IU, not just the old fans.

(1, cont.). Need a coach who understands the bright lights of being at Indiana and WANTS the attention, not someone who looks uncomfortable on TV. Do more media. Local. National. EVERYWHERE. Stop talking about Bobby Knight. Let him go. Maybe name the court after him but move on.

2. Reinvigorate the atmosphere. Assembly Hall is awesome but often feels like 1986. SELL BEER. Play modern music. I know the band is sacred, but stop playing the same songs, in the same order, at the same time outs. And get them new outfits. Vests and bow ties scream 1975.

(2. Cont). Move student section to court level. ON THE COURT - not just the baseline. Pack lower level so kids are on top of the game. Fewer student tickets so it’s always packed. Make it more like Cameron, where it’s totally insane. Assembly Hall needs more student energy.

Unless it’s a big game, the IU student section doesn’t typically add that much. And I get it. Their seats are average (except for the kids behind the basket). Run them along the sideline opposite the benches. IU should be the toughest venue for opponents in the BIG10.

Get a new announcer (SORRY CHUCK). Need more fun during the game. An excited “THREEEEEEE BY LANDER” in a big game making the crowd excited can’t hurt. Some fireworks at the opening (sorry, Fred Glass, but they’re awesome). And for Pete’s sake, get better WiFi for fans.

3. Everyone has alternative uniforms these days. Let’s do it more often too. AND PUT PLAYER NAMES ON JERSEYS (OHMYGOD - such heresy to suggest in Indiana). The “we play for the name on the front” theme is as old time thinking as our dusty banners. Kids want publicity.

3. Cont). We aren’t going to get 5* kids if they don’t get attention. It’s a tradition that needs shelved. Sorry, old fans. If the trend is moving towards players having their own licensing rights, who goes to IU where your name isn’t even on your jersey? Time for a change.

4. Stop playing in that stupid Crossroads Classic which gives ZERO national buzz and only heartache. Get higher level stuff going. Act like a blue blood. Play in a CHAMPIONS CLASSIC event in Chicago. Or NYC. Kids want exposure.

(4. Cont). The idea IU can be nationally competitive with only in-state kids isn’t true. Why not play in national events with national exposure on national tv for recruiting? Playing Butler in Indy is a 0 on the excitement scale. I don’t even go, but I’d go to NYC for a game.

Summary: IU fans are dying a slow painful death, one game and one season at a time. It’s time to find a guy with Tom Allen enthusiasm to elevate IU bball into something new, and to stop trying to “get back” to what was and make the program/brand new and fresh.

love #iubb but all good my IU friends are feeling the same apathy as me. I’m tired of being the “Nebraska Football of college basketball” but the analogy is solid. And it’s going to be worse when the whole NCCA tourney is in our state but we’re we watching at home.

Rant over.

Makes some great points. I don't necessarily go along with everything but...... change needs to happen.

One counter point would be that you can't piss off a bunch of older fans since they are usually the ones with the big bucks!

It would be a tight rope act to change but not to alienate too many!

Found this on Twitter.

1. New coach. Need a proven winner AND someone who understands promoting and growing a brand. Not just a “return to what was” guy but transitioning the brand for a younger fanbase. Make it cool for kids to like IU, not just the old fans.

(1, cont.). Need a coach who understands the bright lights of being at Indiana and WANTS the attention, not someone who looks uncomfortable on TV. Do more media. Local. National. EVERYWHERE. Stop talking about Bobby Knight. Let him go. Maybe name the court after him but move on.

2. Reinvigorate the atmosphere. Assembly Hall is awesome but often feels like 1986. SELL BEER. Play modern music. I know the band is sacred, but stop playing the same songs, in the same order, at the same time outs. And get them new outfits. Vests and bow ties scream 1975.

(2. Cont). Move student section to court level. ON THE COURT - not just the baseline. Pack lower level so kids are on top of the game. Fewer student tickets so it’s always packed. Make it more like Cameron, where it’s totally insane. Assembly Hall needs more student energy.

Unless it’s a big game, the IU student section doesn’t typically add that much. And I get it. Their seats are average (except for the kids behind the basket). Run them along the sideline opposite the benches. IU should be the toughest venue for opponents in the BIG10.

Get a new announcer (SORRY CHUCK). Need more fun during the game. An excited “THREEEEEEE BY LANDER” in a big game making the crowd excited can’t hurt. Some fireworks at the opening (sorry, Fred Glass, but they’re awesome). And for Pete’s sake, get better WiFi for fans.

3. Everyone has alternative uniforms these days. Let’s do it more often too. AND PUT PLAYER NAMES ON JERSEYS (OHMYGOD - such heresy to suggest in Indiana). The “we play for the name on the front” theme is as old time thinking as our dusty banners. Kids want publicity.

3. Cont). We aren’t going to get 5* kids if they don’t get attention. It’s a tradition that needs shelved. Sorry, old fans. If the trend is moving towards players having their own licensing rights, who goes to IU where your name isn’t even on your jersey? Time for a change.

4. Stop playing in that stupid Crossroads Classic which gives ZERO national buzz and only heartache. Get higher level stuff going. Act like a blue blood. Play in a CHAMPIONS CLASSIC event in Chicago. Or NYC. Kids want exposure.

(4. Cont). The idea IU can be nationally competitive with only in-state kids isn’t true. Why not play in national events with national exposure on national tv for recruiting? Playing Butler in Indy is a 0 on the excitement scale. I don’t even go, but I’d go to NYC for a game.

Summary: IU fans are dying a slow painful death, one game and one season at a time. It’s time to find a guy with Tom Allen enthusiasm to elevate IU bball into something new, and to stop trying to “get back” to what was and make the program/brand new and fresh.

love #iubb but all good my IU friends are feeling the same apathy as me. I’m tired of being the “Nebraska Football of college basketball” but the analogy is solid. And it’s going to be worse when the whole NCCA tourney is in our state but we’re we watching at home.

Rant over.

I agree with a lot of this, but I disagree on the uniforms.

Put the names on the back. Now that I've started down that road to Perdition, however, leave the basic uniform unchanged. It's a brand, much like the most plain uniforms in college football, those of the Crimson Tide. I hope I never see IU in black or gray or Hickory uniforms. If they are ever "jazzed up" for some "special" game, keep the basic colors and keep the interlock IU logo. Still some room for some creativity.

Only 2 disputes. 1). The students are court level now and have been for many years. They have their own section opposite the visitors bench and have since the Crean year. 2). The Crossroads classic has been dominated by IU fans so apparently most of us like it

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Only 2 disputes. 1). The students are court level now and have been for many years. They have their own section opposite the visitors bench and have since the Crean year. 2). The Crossroads classic has been dominated by IU fans so apparently most of us like it

The students only are behind the basket, no court seats. They call behind the basket court, but it’s not.

The bleacher seats is what he is referring to, but would be a mess if they were all students in those.

Found this on Twitter.

Rant over.
Don't be dissin Chuck. He was in Blue Chips.

I agree, overall some excellent points. However, as one of those "older" fans, I think point #3 contributes to the second part of point #4. WHY do 5 star college athletes NEED attention? All of the flexing, yelling, pointing at the opposing bench and/or shushing the crowd is out of control. It is a team game; of course teams will have one or two elite players but the team will still lose games if only one or two guys get all of the attention. Lastly, regarding point #4, this "attention" issue may also be the reason IU can no longer be successful with a team full of Indiana high school players. Since class basketball, all of these 5 stars from AAAAA schools play other 5A schools each night; if they lose some games they can fall back on losing to 5A teams. No getting upset by that little school 10 miles away that doesn't even have a Walmart or a stop light. Well, losing to some of those little guys builds character and teaches humility; something many college players seem to be missing these days. Then, these guys get to college and seem shocked when they lose to Indiana State. Sorry, now I'm ranting but we "older" IU fans remember what made IU great and not everything about the old way should be dismissed.

Found this on Twitter.

Rant over.
i can make it a lot simpler. just recruit better players and a coach that knows what to do with them.

I do agree that the school needs to know how to take advantage of players licensing their names and likenesses. Like it or not, programs that establish a money making system there will have a enormous leg up in recruiting, especially with big-time recruits.
The smart programs are likely already on it. IU has an enormous fanbase and profiting of it should be easy. Seems like a good assignment for all the fancy marketing MBAs at Kelley.

I do agree that the school needs to know how to take advantage of players licensing their names and likenesses. Like it or not, programs that establish a money making system there will have a enormous leg up in recruiting, especially with big-time recruits.
The smart programs are likely already on it. IU has an enormous fanbase and profiting of it should be easy. Seems like a good assignment for all the fancy marketing MBAs at Kelley.
Well, well Indiana is already kinda on it, nice to see...

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ame-image-and-likeness-solutions-for-athletes

Makes some great points. I don't necessarily go along with everything but...... change needs to happen.

One counter point would be that you can't piss off a bunch of older fans since they are usually the ones with the big bucks!

It would be a tight rope act to change but not to alienate too many!

That was a big miss in that take. Moving more kids down to the court level would be extremely expensive.

The students only are behind the basket, no court seats. They call behind the basket court, but it’s not.

The bleacher seats is what he is referring to, but would be a mess if they were all students in those.
Students have great seats - approx 25% of the lower level seats (rows below entrance). Unfortunately they don’t fill those on a regular basis, therefore I can’t support giving them better seats.

Found this on Twitter.

Rant over.
I agree with most of this except the uniform changes. No names, no changing. I could give a crap about licensing rights, if you are any good people will know you by your number

Students have great seats - approx 25% of the lower level seats (rows below entrance). Unfortunately they don’t fill those on a regular basis, therefore I can’t support giving them better seats.

This is one of the things I was on Glass about for several years. Sell 2,000 of the balcony student seats to the waiting list and other young alumni because other than big games they don't fill. It may be too late though as the waiting list has shrunk and may not exist at all if things don't improve quicly.

I agree, overall some excellent points. However, as one of those "older" fans, I think point #3 contributes to the second part of point #4. WHY do 5 star college athletes NEED attention? All of the flexing, yelling, pointing at the opposing bench and/or shushing the crowd is out of control. It is a team game; of course teams will have one or two elite players but the team will still lose games if only one or two guys get all of the attention. Lastly, regarding point #4, this "attention" issue may also be the reason IU can no longer be successful with a team full of Indiana high school players. Since class basketball, all of these 5 stars from AAAAA schools play other 5A schools each night; if they lose some games they can fall back on losing to 5A teams. No getting upset by that little school 10 miles away that doesn't even have a Walmart or a stop light. Well, losing to some of those little guys builds character and teaches humility; something many college players seem to be missing these days. Then, these guys get to college and seem shocked when they lose to Indiana State. Sorry, now I'm ranting but we "older" IU fans remember what made IU great and not everything about the old way should be dismissed.
There is no such thing (in Indiana) as 5A.

Even when we were pretty decent they only came to the big games. The students have had their chance to be a force and blew it

Reactions: baileyiu
So bring back Tom Crean level marketing? Big heads, etc (I actually didn't mind the big heads but you get my drift).

Everything that was listed is fake enthusiasm/try hard marketing.

Put an entertaining brand of basketball...mainly a successful one that seems to play better than the sum of its parts so we can feel good and smart....and everything is solved.

Problem is, there are a very limited amount of coaches who are successful by getting their teams to play better than the sum of their parts.

We'll take winning but I believe that second part is a key ingredient that we all want and why we're secretly jealous of Stevens, Bo Ryan, Tony Bennett, Chris Beard and yes Matt Painter while tsk at Calipari and now K.

"Fixing" Indiana basketball is about winning not about trying to be the cool kid in school. Great coaches win. Look no further into it.

You can't win without players. Today's players want certain things. If IU doesn't offer those things they will go somewhere else. It's not that difficult to understand. Tradition is great. It can also be an anchor. It's becoming more and more of an anchor as the years go by.

Anyone find the NCAA banners ... I don’t know if pathetic is the right word ... depressing? A hollow display of misplaced pride?

I’m not saying that I do. But I was rather surprised to hear my dad (who attended IU so long ago that he watched McCracken teams on the court) comment recently that he thinks that the banners should just be taken down! I believe he’s mostly saying that out of frustration with the current situation, but since this is a thread to examine ossified traditions ...

EDIT. I understand that would never happen. But 34 years is a long time, as these things are reckoned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockway
The Assembly Hall experience is always talked about in bucket list terms by non-IU fans, players and media. If a poll was taken of non-IU people, I would bet that this list of "fixes" would get an overwhelming thumbs down with "are they nuts" comments. Also, it is not a new revelation as many IU people have been talking about these same type of fixes since 2000. If it weren't for tradition, IU is already Minnesota on the way to being Penn St. I may be wrong, but imo IU's tradition isn't an anchor... it's the only thing keeping us afloat.

Anyone find the NCAA banners ... I don’t know if pathetic is the right word ... depressing? A hollow display of misplaced pride?

I’m not saying that I do. But I was rather surprised to hear my dad (who attended IU so long ago that he watched McCracken teams on the court) comment recently that he thinks that the banners should just be taken down! I believe he’s mostly saying that out of frustration with the current situation, but since this is a thread to examine ossified traditions ...

EDIT. I understand that would never happen. But 34 years is a long time, as these things are reckoned.
What in the flyin F would that help solve? I think he's just frustrated as we all are

Take them down until the program is in at least the same area code of the standard that was set.
Shut down the embarrassing social media hype machine.
Gonzaga going undefeated wouldn't hurt my feelings either.
Humble thyself Hoosier Nation.
Burn it down and rebuild it with talented blue collar dogs who know how to play the game and crave winning.

There is no such thing (in Indiana) as 5A.

I apologize, I now live in Florida and I do not attend Indiana High School basketball games anymore. However, I was there when class basketball began and I thought it started with 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A; thought I had heard through my Indiana family the largest schools are now 5A . . . are the class designations different for football? Anyway, I think my point is still relevant.

Just 2 things.

In 1986 the Hall was sold out every game and the team was on the brink of another title. The band attire I can agree with, but I wish we had the spirit of the mid 80’s back in the program. Pour choice of year to pick on, IMO.

Also, ironically Archie is undefeated in the Crossroads Classic and although IU doesn’t always win it, over the years, it’s not a heartache. I kind of like those close games against Butler. Keep it.

I can safely say I disagree with nearly every point you make, except winning.
I want to watch basketball.

But if you want a circus or Brittany Spears concert, don't have it during game time please.

Reactions: demunn
Alabama proudly rode those old football titles won mostly with leather helmets (exaggeration intended) when they went through several years of futility.... amazing what an incredibly competent coach can pull off at an institution with nothing left but history. I know we're not in the exact same situation but I believe the analogy is relevant

Being Cool=Better Recruiting=More Wins

I snipped this from verbalcommits.com Look at who has the highest avg. star rating in the conference. IU is consistently in the top 3 in the conference on this list year after year. Our recruits are only thought of poorly after they've been here awhile. It's more likely a development or coaching problem than it is a talent one. If it is a talent problem, it's still a coaching issue because they should be able to out-scout the ranking guru's

avg.%2Bstars.PNG

I snipped this from verbalcommits,com Look at who has the highest avg. star rating in the conference. IU is consistently in the top 3 in the conference on this list year after year. Our recruits are only thought of poorly after they've been here awhile. It's more likely a development or coaching problem than it is a talent one. If it is a talent problem, it's still a coaching issue because they should be able to out-scout the ranking guru's

avg.%2Bstars.PNG
How many years does that include?

That is just for this years rosters. Unfortunately, I don't think they have an archive, but I've been using the site for quite a while since TMP shared it with me. IU is consistently toward the top every year.
I would have assumed that. Proving once again that Archie has had his chance and blew it

You can't win without players. Today's players want certain things. If IU doesn't offer those things they will go somewhere else. It's not that difficult to understand. Tradition is great. It can also be an anchor. It's becoming more and more of an anchor as the years go by.
Agree. And just because IU has won in Crossroads doesn’t mean that’s good for program. Recruits want to go further than freaking Indy and play in-state school.

I snipped this from verbalcommits.com Look at who has the highest avg. star rating in the conference. IU is consistently in the top 3 in the conference on this list year after year. Our recruits are only thought of poorly after they've been here awhile. It's more likely a development or coaching problem than it is a talent one. If it is a talent problem, it's still a coaching issue because they should be able to out-scout the ranking guru's

avg.%2Bstars.PNG
It’s not just that scouting services aren’t material to anything coaches say or do, it’s about the composition of the team. That’s really where Miller has fallen short.

IU is less like Nebraska football and more like the U football. While all have a great history, IU like Miami is located in a great recruiting zone. Like the U with these advantages, we are a total mess.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT