ADVERTISEMENT

The Allen Situation - Dysfunction

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I still start by saying I believe he is a good person, who cares about people and his players, who loves IU and he has been trying, not mailing it in.

But Leadership is hugely important in any organization, and that is the case here at IU right now.

Allen was a good DC when he got here and think he could be again somewhere else. But I do not think he has the organizational skills or the understanding of offense to be a top tier head coach for IU.

He has seemingly lost the team, the potential for player exodus is high, and there is NOTHING to indicate they are close to a turnaround.

Like Allen finally saw Hiller has to go, I believe he will also realize so does he. I won’t further speculate on settlement terms, but believe a deal can be struck and it would be done in the name of “This is what’s best for the program right now.”

I don’t think IU is a “never can win” program, rather I think it must have a coach who has done it ideally at two places, like a DeBoer, who can bring the leadership and stability and player development that is needed to IU.

I hope this can happen soon enough after the season to allow a new coach to keep the McCollough’s & Lucas young talents at IU moving forward.

People don't tend to think of themselves as the problem or at least that they can't get it fixed themselves. Plus, not sure many would give up millions in the buyout either.

I think Allen has been making poor choices for coordinators (especially OC) and now paying the price.

The question at this point is if dolson wants to spend 25 million on a buyout or not. I doubt boosters will help much

People don't tend to think of themselves as the problem or at least that they can't get it fixed themselves. Plus, not sure many would give up millions in the buyout either.

I think Allen has been making poor choices for coordinators (especially OC) and now paying the price.

The question at this point is if dolson wants to spend 25 million on a buyout or not. I doubt boosters will help much
can you imagine dolson going to boosters and saying, "would you help me pay for this idiotic mistake i made"?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t think IU is a “never can win” program, rather I think it must have a coach who has done it ideally at two places, like a DeBoer, who can bring the leadership and stability and player development that is needed to IU.

It is as though...our Athletic Department leadership is always looking for the "next big thing" hire...and by that I mean to agree with you on a standard for our next FB HC hire...our committee seems to think "coach XYZ just had a great year in the ABC league...or is the next big shining star."..and then they're wrong...terribly wrong.

There's so much more to the puzzle than this, particularly as it relates to our football program (though you can see this mentality with a couple of bball hires: Miller and Crean).

But this seems to contribute.

Rare is the program that has the nation's "best available HC" sitting on staff...rarer still would that be on a perennial bottom-dweller such as IUFB.

Bell was a bad hire because he isn't running the offense coach Allen talked about. Did he lie to coach Allen about what he was going to do or did coach know and chose poorly.

Coach Allen needs OC and DC that can run their side with success while coach focuses on running the team. It isn't easy at IU because successful coordinators move to HC jobs. I still dream of having DeBoer and Wommack together at IU with coach Allen and where we would be right now.

Bell was a bad hire because he isn't running the offense coach Allen talked about. Did he lie to coach Allen about what he was going to do or did coach know and chose poorly.

Coach Allen needs OC and DC that can run their side with success while coach focuses on running the team. It isn't easy at IU because successful coordinators move to HC jobs. I still dream of having DeBoer and Wommack together at IU with coach Allen and where we would be right now.
Bell proved to me yesterday he deserves another year. The offense he ran yesterday was his old offense. The offense we ran at the beginning of the year was the exact opposite of what we ran yesterday. He adjusted and made it work with his 4th QB of the season thanks to a shitty OL that gets our QB's destroyed. If you listen to the radio broadcast Rhett Lewis always talks about how Bell schemed something up with a twist that he finds interesting.

Again, you are gonna find me riding on the get rid of Aaron Wellman bandwagon until something gets done about it. There is NO WAY we should be as injured as we are for 2 years straight. WR group is empty, the LB group??? They thought we were gonna have to start true freshman yesterday until Casey came out on the field. Were on our 4th QB this year. We never had those issues under Ballou and Rhea. Our lines were at least serviceable and capable under those two. Now we are about as good as a mid major team on the OL and DL. We need some new, young blood that brings the excitement and the technology that was here before as well as the social media daily posts which the kids LOVE! That coach spends the most time with the players all year long and we need that fixed asap.

Bell proved to me yesterday he deserves another year. The offense he ran yesterday was his old offense. The offense we ran at the beginning of the year was the exact opposite of what we ran yesterday. He adjusted and made it work with his 4th QB of the season thanks to a shitty OL that gets our QB's destroyed. If you listen to the radio broadcast Rhett Lewis always talks about how Bell schemed something up with a twist that he finds interesting.

Again, you are gonna find me riding on the get rid of Aaron Wellman bandwagon until something gets done about it. There is NO WAY we should be as injured as we are for 2 years straight. WR group is empty, the LB group??? They thought we were gonna have to start true freshman yesterday until Casey came out on the field. Were on our 4th QB this year. We never had those issues under Ballou and Rhea. Our lines were at least serviceable and capable under those two. Now we are about as good as a mid major team on the OL and DL. We need some new, young blood that brings the excitement and the technology that was here before as well as the social media daily posts which the kids LOVE! That coach spends the most time with the players all year long and we need that fixed asap.
I’m with you on Bell. While I didn’t like the hurry up it may have been necessary and the fact is we ran it very well. We didn’t execute as far as completing passes but we were tops in the country in time between plays and didn’t have the penalties that usually follow. Now with dexter we have shifted fairly quickly away from that and again not a lot of penalties.

I’d say it’s a good bet that McCullough and Lucas and many others will be gone a week from today.
All the kids deserve better than Allen,they don’t care about buy outs.

I do not know the BOT or donors but doubt they are in the mood to give 25 million just after the Archie fiasco.

you continue to deflect the blame from allen onto his assistants. who do you think is running this program?

I’d say it’s a good bet that McCullough and Lucas and many others will be gone a week from today.
exactly. i'm happy for the kids after this win. they work hard. they deserve better than this coaching staff.

I am not buying the Bell deserves another year. He recruited Bazelak. He chose him over Williams. They are the fourth worst offense in the country. It's not improved at all from Sheridan. And Allen's defense is getting worse each week. Wilt has brought nothing. If they are keeping Allen they need new coordinators. I'd promote Rod Carey to OC. He's improved the line play in just a months time, and had a great reputation as an OC. They could afford him where they likely won't be able to afford or attract others.

I do not know the BOT or donors but doubt they are in the mood to give 25 million just after the Archie fiasco.
The basketball situation was completely different. Over the decades there have been multiple years and eras of greatness. That has never been the case in football.

In 1967 the Hoosiers went to the Rose bowl when there was a three-way tie for first place and the Hoosiers got the nod because they had not been to the Rose bowl in more than 20 years. Now they haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 55 years.

Nobody is going to pony up 25 million with a hope of returning who's your football to mediocrity. And that is on Dolson.

Hoosier gridiron greatness has been a function of Michigan and Ohio State being down the same year. And that seems to happen about every 30 years.

In addition the odds are stacked against Indiana because they have the toughest schedule in the country. And until they do away with the asinine football divisions that is not going to change.

McCullough is a coin flip to me, I g the best player on a not great team worked out for ARE and many others over the years.

I think Jaylin stays because he’ll be the bell cow as a sophomore presumably.

I think Sorsby, WRs, and TEs are set to leave if we’re going to convert to a spread triple option offense. As of now, we’ve only got one guy who can run it. Conversely, if they commit to doing a passing offense again next year, Dex will probably move on to find a place that’s a better fit for him, may or may not work to keep the other skill players around.

Bell is running the exact offense that got him hired. It was always going to be a spread tempo attack that attempted to establish a running game first and draw defenses into the box, creating opportunities on the edge. That was always Bell’s plan.

Reactions: Cap99
I still start by saying I believe he is a good person, who cares about people and his players, who loves IU and he has been trying, not mailing it in.

But Leadership is hugely important in any organization, and that is the case here at IU right now.

Allen was a good DC when he got here and think he could be again somewhere else. But I do not think he has the organizational skills or the understanding of offense to be a top tier head coach for IU.

He has seemingly lost the team, the potential for player exodus is high, and there is NOTHING to indicate they are close to a turnaround.

Like Allen finally saw Hiller has to go, I believe he will also realize so does he. I won’t further speculate on settlement terms, but believe a deal can be struck and it would be done in the name of “This is what’s best for the program right now.”

I hope this can happen soon enough after the season to allow a new coach to keep the McCollough’s & Lucas young talents at IU moving forward.
Allen isn't going to go away. That's just the wishful thinking flavor of the moment.

Bell . . . might be gone at the end of the year, I dunno . . . or he might be back depending on what happens with PeeEwe coming to town . . . he's shown he can adapt to personnel with the win at MSU. Favorable half-time adjustments were all IU's. And he morphed from a pass-happy, fast-as-possible offense to a run-heavy, TOP offense.

I'd like to know what was said and by whom at half-time.

BTW, that Shivers touchdown run was the first time I've seen any counterplay action from the OL . . . who knew Haggers had THAT in him? Ron Cary is already paying dividends . . . .

I am not buying the Bell deserves another year. He recruited Bazelak. He chose him over Williams. They are the fourth worst offense in the country. It's not improved at all from Sheridan. And Allen's defense is getting worse each week. Wilt has brought nothing. If they are keeping Allen they need new coordinators. I'd promote Rod Carey to OC. He's improved the line play in just a months time, and had a great reputation as an OC. They could afford him where they likely won't be able to afford or attract others.
Bell deserves another year because he is finally making adjustments in game 11?

If it has taken him this long to figure things out, he probably isn't the right guy for the job.

you continue to deflect the blame from allen onto his assistants. who do you think is running this program?
I am not deflecting blame from coach Allen, just pointing out that assistants have a big impact on what is going on. Coach Allen hired the assistants, so he is ultimately responsible for what is going on. You and others just want coach Allen to be gone no matter what else is going on. I think 2019 and 2020 showed with very good OC or DC coach Allen has put a good product on the field. I do say if IU ever wants to be relevant in the B1G they need to change their approach to football either HC or pay for OC/DC.

Yeah, and the comeback was sparked by OL run blocking schemes that we haven’t seen all year. Nothing complicated, just pulling the backside guard and tackle, but something that seems to play to the strengths of the OL personnel. It’s hard to say what Bell’s involvement was with that. I suspect it is Carey. Other spread teams have used similar plays for years. You’d think that Bell would have deployed them much earlier in the season if he were advocating them.

Yeah, and the comeback was sparked by OL run blocking schemes that we haven’t seen all year. Nothing complicated, just pulling the backside guard and tackle, but something that seems to play to the strengths of the OL personnel. It’s hard to say what Bell’s involvement was with that. I suspect it is Carey. Other spread teams have used similar plays for years. You’d think that Bell would have deployed them much earlier in the season if he were advocating them.
I guarantee you Bell was all over it. He coordinates the entire offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT