ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky fan I come in peace...

Aug 9, 2019
I remember growing up getting excited when KY would play IU. Bob Knight was a great coach and you never knew what he might do. I still have much respect for the IU BB program.
College BB is better when IU is good. I hope you all build things up and we can start playing again every year. IU is a blue blood program.

I remember growing up getting excited when KY would play IU. Bob Knight was a great coach and you never knew what he might do. I still have much respect for the IU BB program.
College BB is better when IU is good. I hope you all build things up and we can start playing again every year. IU is a blue blood program.
A blue blood program? Those days are long over. It wasn’t that long ago that pompous Fred Glass gave up a home game in the NIT because he thought it was beneath the Hoosier program. Now there’s talk players are likely to pack it in and not even play in the NIT tournament.

This is about pride. This is about wearing the candy, stripes and representing the university. This is probably a low point for Indiana basketball since I’ve been following them about 45 years ago..
Come on Mike! Find seven players that are still willing to represent the university. Think about the Northwestern game a couple years ago..

Thanks for the best wishes.

We are going to be playing UK again, which is good. Rupp, Lucas Oil, Rupp, AH.

I’d do Lucas Oil every year — the ~50/50 crowd split with 30-35K fans half red and half blue is a very unique and cool thing in college basketball. Only IU and UK can do this. The Red River Rivalry is great in football for similar reasons.

We have some attributes of a blue blood — fans, NIL/budget, old cool arena, history. Don’t have the wins anymore.

Bball isn’t a do or die priority at IU like it is at UK or UNC or KU. It’s also highly political with our coaching hires. So we have a coach with no college experience no one else would hire — but we liked that he played here 45 years ago . He is struggling and as of now there are no signs of us getting competitive. We’ll see if he figures it out over the next two months in the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
I agree on the rivalry and hate that it ever ended. But, we're a long way from a blue blood anymore. I think we could be once again, but even that gets farther away every year. Thanks for the well wishes though, basketball means more in IN and KY I think.

A blue blood program? Those days are long over. It wasn’t that long ago that pompous Fred Glass gave up a home game in the NIT because he thought it was beneath the Hoosier program. Now there’s talk players are likely to pack it in and not even play in the NIT tournament.

This is about pride. This is about wearing the candy, stripes and representing the university. This is probably a low point for Indiana basketball since I’ve been following them about 45 years ago..
Come on Mike! Find seven players that are still willing to represent the university. Think about the Northwestern game a couple years ago..
We are hardly the only team that turned down the NIT. That tournament is probably on its way out

I do appreciate your best wishes but still hope the entire UK team comes down with food poisoning from bad mayonnaise before their Oakland game (126 NET-what a gift).

I agree on the rivalry and hate that it ever ended. But, we're a long way from a blue blood anymore. I think we could be once again, but even that gets farther away every year. Thanks for the well wishes though, basketball means more in IN and KY I think.

What is your definition of blue blood?

I have made this point before and IMO there is a difference between blue blood and elite.
Elite is right now - which obviously IU is not.
Blue blood is history and IU has that.
Maybe you can put a timeline on that BB status.
All I know is most articles I see about blue bloods, includes IU.

I agree. The universe seems more balanced when we are great at basketball and ND great at football.

I have made this point before and IMO there is a difference between blue blood and elite.
I'm not going to get into an argument over the definition of nebulus terms, but I'd say I am lumping blue blood and your elite term together. To me, a blue blood is only a big deal if they are still relevant nationally, and to do that we'd have to do more than a couple S16 appearances in 20+ years. Is San Francisco or Cincinnati a blue blood in your mind? By results, we're closer to them than UK in my estimation.

I'm not going to get into an argument over the definition of nebulus terms, but I'd say I am lumping blue blood and your elite term together. To me, a blue blood is only a big deal if they are still relevant nationally, and to do that we'd have to do more than a couple S16 appearances in 20+ years. Is San Francisco or Cincinnati a blue blood in your mind? By results, we're closer to them than UK in my estimation.

I don't think there is anything nebulous about the term blue blood when it pertains to college basketball. If there was then there would not be a consensus as to what schools belong on that list. IU almost without fail is on those lists.

IU has five NCAA titles under 2 coaches, over an almost 50 year span plus IU was in the final game in 2002 which pushes IU's relevancy on the national scene to over 60 years. Can UC or San Fran lay claim to anything even approaching those numbers? No they can't.

It is interesting to me that a UK fan calls us a blue blood but IU fans rejects that claim. Hmmmm!

Reactions: Bucket Getter

So we're like we're the old money grandkids, living off the inheritance, keeping up airs while the estate declines? Ok too dramatic. But man, I fell in love with BB because of the chess-match stratagies of the game (as IU played it), and it seems sooooo far in the past.

Side note, working through a bracket found this:

Texas A&M​

Texas A&M's NCAA Tournament hopes looked bleak after a five-game February losing streak, but the Aggies rallied to win five in a row and advance to the SEC tournament semifinals, sealing their bid. ....
Outside shooting, however, is a problem. The Aggies rank 353rd nationally in 3-point percentage (28.4), as no player with more than 1.5 perimeter attempts per game shoots higher than Taylor's 31.5 percent from deep. They make up for it with second-chance points, as they lead the nation in offensive rebounding rate. That gives the Aggies a top-35 offense (per KenPom) to pair with a top-60 defense.

So simple. We knew we were a bad shooting team, why did we not rebound? #192 - https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/932

This deries needs to get going. Basketball is better overall when the two programs meet. A true national game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT