ADVERTISEMENT

Surgical masks sold out at CVS and Walgreens locally . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . anybody else seeing this phenomenon in your area?

I went to Walgreens to buy some flu meds for MrsSope on Sunday, and asked about surgical masks because the primary symptom MrsSope was experiencing was a really bad cough. She wanted to wear a mask to prevent the airborne distribution of the flu virus in the house . . .

. . . the pharmacy attendant at Walgreens just laughed . . . said they might get a shipment in on Tuesday, but that was doubtful . . . looking online, every type of face mask they sell is sold out . . .

The attendant said a box of 50 surgical masks were going for $99 online . . . about 6 times their normal price, as I understood her to say.

Well, I got a cough prescription filled yesterday morning for MrsSope at the local CVS, and asked about surgical masks just for the information. Same story.

Costco is selling out of them in South Korea: https://www.businessinsider.com/costco-is-selling-out-of-surgical-masks-in-south-korea-2020-2. And Vitality Medical is out of masks of all types too: https://www.vitalitymedical.com/surgical-mask.html.

There's some question whether the type of mask people have bought would be effective against the coronavirus anyway . . . https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html. And the one type of mask that might help is one that folks likely won't wear long anyway:

"Cloth masks really don’t protect you. Cloth masks don’t block small particles. The sort of mask that does is an N95 respirator, which filters out 95% of smaller air particles and is often specially fitted for healthcare workers. I wore one during last summer’s forest fires, and it feels like suffocating in a moist, overheated shell through which you are unable to suck in enough air when, say, walking. It’s uncomfortable AF. You will take it off." (from https://www.fastcompany.com/9045949...oronavirus-outbreak-here-are-5-reasons-not-to)

Humans can be interesting creatures to observe . . .

. . . anyway, the most consistent advice I could find online on how to avoid the coronavirus - and the flu - is just to wash your hands. (See the fastcompany article above . . . which is representative of the advice in other articles I've read.)

PS - MrsSope is fine, thank you for asking. She's back teaching at school today. Her flu was pretty mild compared to what the flu can do, probably because she did get a flu shot in the fall. BTW, her primary symptoms were (1) a bad cough, (2) migraine headaches for a couple of days, and (3) tiredness.

Reactions: MrBing
Cloth masks really don’t protect you. Cloth masks don’t block small particles. The sort of mask that does is an N95 respirator, which filters out 95% of smaller air particles and is often specially fitted for healthcare workers.
I buy N95 masks in bulk for the buffers on our shop floor.

Last week my suppliers started hammering me with emails about ordering more. No, they weren't alerting me to a supply chain concern; they were promoting them as protection against the spread of the Coronavirus. In Bloomington Indiana.

Reactions: hoosboot

Last week my suppliers started hammering me with emails about ordering more. No, they weren't alerting me to a supply chain concern; they were promoting them as protection against the spread of the Coronavirus. In Bloomington Indiana.
You should set up a separate account with the suppliers, buy them yourself, and set up shop selling them retail . . . .

source.gif

giphy.gif

I went to Walgreens to buy some flu meds for MrsSope on Sunday, and asked about surgical masks because the primary symptom MrsSope was experiencing was a really bad cough. She wanted to wear a mask to prevent the airborne distribution of the flu virus in the house . . .

. . . the pharmacy attendant at Walgreens just laughed . . . said they might get a shipment in on Tuesday, but that was doubtful . . . looking online, every type of face mask they sell is sold out . . .

The attendant said a box of 50 surgical masks were going for $99 online . . . about 6 times their normal price, as I understood her to say.

Well, I got a cough prescription filled yesterday morning for MrsSope at the local CVS, and asked about surgical masks just for the information. Same story.

Costco is selling out of them in South Korea: https://www.businessinsider.com/costco-is-selling-out-of-surgical-masks-in-south-korea-2020-2. And Vitality Medical is out of masks of all types too: https://www.vitalitymedical.com/surgical-mask.html.

There's some question whether the type of mask people have bought would be effective against the coronavirus anyway . . . https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html. And the one type of mask that might help is one that folks likely won't wear long anyway:

"Cloth masks really don’t protect you. Cloth masks don’t block small particles. The sort of mask that does is an N95 respirator, which filters out 95% of smaller air particles and is often specially fitted for healthcare workers. I wore one during last summer’s forest fires, and it feels like suffocating in a moist, overheated shell through which you are unable to suck in enough air when, say, walking. It’s uncomfortable AF. You will take it off." (from https://www.fastcompany.com/9045949...oronavirus-outbreak-here-are-5-reasons-not-to)

. . . anyway, the most consistent advice I could find online on how to avoid the coronavirus - and the flu - is just to wash your hands. (See the fastcompany article above . . . which is representative of the advice in other articles I've read.)

PS - MrsSope is fine, thank you for asking. She's back teaching at school today. Her flu was pretty mild compared to what the flu can do, probably because she did get a flu shot in the fall. BTW, her primary symptoms were (1) a bad cough, (2) migraine headaches for a couple of days, and (3) tiredness.
Ask a doctor from your congregation. They've got plenty.

Ask a doctor from your congregation. They've got plenty.
Actually, I could just get over to see GrannySope. She's loaded with 'em. But since they're ineffective and MrsSope is better . . . there's no efficacy in doing so.

Besides, I could be Mark's first customer . . . and all of the docs in our congregation are retired anyway.

Reactions: iuwclurker
Actually, I could just get over to see GrannySope. She's loaded with 'em. But since they're ineffective and MrsSope is better . . . there's no efficacy in doing so.

Besides, I could be Mark's first customer . . . and all of the docs in our congregation are retired anyway.
You're definitely right about washing hands.

As far as masks go, my understanding is that they're most effective worn by the infected to protect the innocent bystanders.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
My understanding is that they're most effective worn by the infected to protect the innocent bystanders.
Yeah, I'd suspect that'd be the case. It'd reduce the scope of the spray from the cough or sneezes . . .

. . . no such luck in our house the last 4 days. I'm still within the incubation period . . . alas.

At least we haven't seen any tornadoes near by today. That's sumthin' to be thankful for . . .

. . . so far, but the day is young and we have more weather to brace for.

Just call me Eeyore . . . .

Yeah, I'd suspect that'd be the case. It'd reduce the scope of the spray from the cough or sneezes . . .

. . . no such luck in our house the last 4 days. I'm still within the incubation period . . . alas.

At least we haven't seen any tornadoes near by today. That's sumthin' to be thankful for . . .

. . . so far, but the day is young and we have more weather to brace for.

Just call me Eeyore . . . .
I was always amazed by how it only seems to cycle through the household once... otherwise the more vulnerable could really go downhill quickly.

I was always amazed by how it only seems to cycle through the household once... otherwise the more vulnerable could really go downhill quickly.
Antibodies develop once you've had it . . . am I wrong? (No Mark, you may not post in response to that question.)

Reactions: Spartans9312

I’m in northern Indiana and someone I know through a mutual friend is currently quarantined at a local hospital for corona. I guess it has to do with a cruise they were on recently. I don’t know the deep details, I stay away from hospitals if I can.

I live a few blocks from a university with a large grad and medical school. As a result there are tons of Asians in our neighborhood. At least half wear masks all the time: grocery store, Starbucks, etc. I always wonder what they think I'm going to give them.

Reactions: iuwclurker
I’m in northern Indiana and someone I know through a mutual friend is currently quarantined at a local hospital for corona. I guess it has to do with a cruise they were on recently. I don’t know the deep details, I stay away from hospitals if I can.
I seriously doubt any of our buffing crew has been on a cruise lately.

Reactions: NPT
I live a few blocks from a university with a large grad and medical school. As a result there are tons of Asians in our neighborhood. At least half wear masks all the time: grocery store, Starbucks, etc. I always wonder what they think I'm going to give them.
Can't be in Cape Girardeau . . .

. . . where are you located, and how did you end up with a case in Cape?

Can't be in Cape Girardeau . . .

. . . where are you located, and how did you end up with a case in Cape?
LOL definitely not. St. Louis. The Limbaugh case was actually in Saint Louis, too. Federal Court downtown. Although I've had a handful of cases over the years down in Cape. All personal injury stuff. One a guy had an entire sheet of glass at a restaurant down there break on his face. You see the Limbaugh firm building right when you head into town. Cool little, old school state courthouse down there.

Last edited:
I believe they're worn as a societal courtesy, so they don't cause spread of their own germs.

I was at the hospital on Monday and one of the Southern California confirmed cases is being treated there. When word started to spread, people became extreme agitated. A few started passing out masks to everyone (I politely declined) and then a family started yelling about how everyone needed to take off their masks because the virus gets trapped in them and people were killing themselves (at that point, I wanted to get one of the masks I had declined and just start sniffing it.) People like to imagine that they are on the front lines of whatever the current crisis is and battling to save humanity. :)

Best to MrsSope.

I seriously doubt any of our buffing crew has been on a cruise lately.

I wasn’t referring to the buffing crew. I was referring to you talking about people being worried about corona in Bloomington. I’d worry about it in Bloomington (a good size college town with people from all over the world) before I’d worry about where I am. All that aside, I agree that your buffing crew likely hasn’t been on a cruise ship recently, unless they were there to buff the ship.

I was at the hospital on Monday and one of the Southern California confirmed cases is being treated there. When word started to spread, people became extreme agitated. A few started passing out masks to everyone (I politely declined) and then a family started yelling about how everyone needed to take off their masks because the virus gets trapped in them and people were killing themselves (at that point, I wanted to get one of the masks I had declined and just start sniffing it.) People like to imagine that they are on the front lines of whatever the current crisis is and battling to save humanity. :)

Best to MrsSope.
Thank you, hoos.

Best of luck dodging the coronavirus out there . . . .

Reactions: hoosboot
LOL definitely not. St. Louis. The Limbaugh case was actually in Saint Louis, too. Federal Court downtown. Although I've had a handful of cases over the years down in Cape. All personal injury stuff. One a guy had an entire sheet of glass at a restaurant down there break on his face. You see the Limbaugh firm building right when you head into town. Cool little, old school state courthouse down there.
Careful there, mc . . . my family is from the bootheel and Cape is the big town for them. I haven't been there in a good long while now . . . time to go back and visit my dad's grave.

Had a case against a St. Louis firm once, decades ago . . . B, C, McP and McR. It was an interesting factual case that had a weird twist in the lawyers representing them . . . 10(b)(5) action for investment fraud against a St. Louis based investment firm.

Careful there, mc . . . my family is from the bootheel and Cape is the big town for them. I haven't been there in a good long while now . . . time to go back and visit my dad's grave.

Had a case against a St. Louis firm once, decades ago . . . B, C, McP and McR. It was an interesting factual case that had a weird twist in the lawyers representing them . . . 10(b)(5) action for investment fraud against a St. Louis based investment firm.

I'm embarrassed to say I have only been down to Cape a handful of times. It seemed charming to me. The river and all. And the state courthouse was within walking distance to some fun bars lol. I will say that there was a definite homer vibe at the state courthouse. They didn't want Stl guys making too much of a habit of handling cases down there lol. I got really lucky (ugh) and had a wrongful death case down there involving a student from SEMO. The guy that hit her had a farm policy of a million bucks. 99% of the cases I have had were state minimum coverage, of course. Anyway, you should definitely get back. I trust it has changed quite a bit.

As for investment fraud, you sound like you had/have a practice far more interesting than mine. I did personal injury/mm/wc. Got to the point where i would start my day off crying in the bathroom lol. Not really, but close. I really got to where I hated it. Just a big, miserable pile of soft tissue cases to churn everyday.

I'm embarrassed to say I have only been down to Cape a handful of times. It seemed charming to me. The river and all. And the state courthouse was within walking distance to some fun bars lol. I will say that there was a definite homer vibe at the state courthouse. They didn't want Stl guys making too much of a habit of handling cases down there lol. I got really lucky (ugh) and had a wrongful death case down there involving a student from SEMO. The guy that hit her had a farm policy of a million bucks. 99% of the cases I have had were state minimum coverage, of course. Anyway, you should definitely get back. I trust it has changed quite a bit.

As for investment fraud, you sound like you had/have a practice far more interesting than mine. I did personal injury/mm/wc. Got to the point where i would start my day off crying in the bathroom lol. Not really, but close. I really got to where I hated it. Just a big, miserable pile of soft tissue cases to churn everyday.
For the last 30 years I've pretty much only negotiated IT and similar commercial contracts. It's been a living . . . if I never see another indemnification or limitation of liability provision again it'll be too soon.

The law is a jealous mistress. And one thing lawyers fees don't take into consideration is the degree to which lawyers undertake clients' emotional burdens for them . . . .

For the last 30 years I've pretty much only negotiated IT and similar commercial contracts. It's been a living . . . if I never see another indemnification or limitation of liability provision again it'll be too soon.

The law is a jealous mistress. And one thing lawyers fees don't take into consideration is the degree to which lawyers undertake clients' emotional burdens for them . . . .

That's for sure! But at least you sound like you've been immune from tort reform and the miserable vagaries of contingency life.

I'm embarrassed to say I have only been down to Cape a handful off times. It seemed charming to me. The river and all. And the state courthouse was within walking distance to some fun bars lol. I will say that there was a definite homer vibe at the state courthouse. They didn't want Stl guys making too much of a habit of handling cases down there lol. I got really lucky (ugh) and had a wrongful death case down there involving a student from SEMO. The guy that hit her had a farm policy of a million bucks. 99% of the cases I have had were state minimum coverage, of course. Anyway, you should definitely get back. I trust it has changed quite a bit.

BTW, if you want to see charming, try Charleston, MO during the Azalea Festival one fine April day when that festival is occurring. It's about 2 hours from St. Louis, about 45 minutes south of Cape. Take I-55 to Sikeston, then head east on I-57 for 15 miles. The town is dying . . . but there's a nice place south of town toward East Prairie called The Glenns. Excellent filet mignon there . . . would be excellent for any restaurant in the country, largely because they slaughter and butcher their own beef, fresh.

And if you haven't been to Cairo, IL . . . well, that's be an education. If you drop in there, never ever go over 1 mph under the speed limit. That county/town relies heavily on outside dollars from motorists who violate traffic laws to fund their government.

That's for sure! But at least you sound like you've been immune from tort reform and the miserable vagaries of contingency life.
Yes I have . . . I got out of the banking business because there was too little room for creativity. Always have admired court-room guys . . . they're the ones who make the law stick in the real world. My job is to put litigators out of business by making the business relationship strong enough through a contract that litigation isn't needed.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
BTW, if you want to see charming, try Charleston, MO during the Azalea Festival one fine April day when that festival is occurring. It's about 2 hours from St. Louis, about 45 minutes south of Cape. Take I-55 to Sikeston, then head east on I-57 for 15 miles. The town is dying . . . but there's a nice place south of town toward East Prairie called The Glenns. Excellent filet mignon there . . . would be excellent for any restaurant in the country, largely because they slaughter and butcher their own beef, fresh.

And if you haven't been to Cairo, IL . . . well, that's be an education. If you drop in there, never ever go over 1 mph under the speed limit. That county/town relies heavily on outside dollars from motorists who violate traffic laws to fund their government.
Ha I'll remember re Cairlo, IL. As for Charleston, I've never even heard of it! That sounds like a great day trip with a big steak at the end. I'll definitely do it with the fam. Sikeston I know. Throwed rolls lol.

Reactions: largemouth
Ha I'll remember re Cairlo, IL. As for Charleston, I've never even heard of it! That sounds like a great day trip with a big steak at the end. I'll definitely do it with the fam. Sikeston I know. Throwed rolls lol.
Throwed rolls . . . Truth In Advertising at its best. Got a cousin whose daughter lives in Sikeston . . . married to a former major leaguer from there.

There really isn't all that much to Charleston, so I hope I haven't over-sold it to you. It has beautiful old homes, a few of which have been restored. And lots and lots of farmland.

One cultural note: when you get to Charleston the clipped midwestern/St. Louis accent of Cape Girardeau will have given way to a more Tennessee/Mississippi drawl. It's an odd phenomenon that happens within that 40 mile stretch . . . probably because Charleston is the most northern spot in the Mississippi Delta region, and therefore the most northern spot in the Mississippi Delta culture.

Yes I have . . . I got out of the banking business because there was too little room for creativity. Always have admired court-room guys . . . they're the ones who make the law stick in the real world. My job is to put litigators out of business by making the business relationship strong enough through a contract that litigation isn't needed.
Throwed rolls . . . Truth In Advertising at its best. Got a cousin whose daughter lives in Sikeston . . . married to a former major leaguer from there.

There really isn't all that much to Charleston, so I hope I haven't over-sold it to you. It has beautiful old homes, a few of which have been restored. And lots and lots of farmland.

One cultural note: when you get to Charleston the clipped midwestern/St. Louis accent of Cape Girardeau will have given way to a more Tennessee/Mississippi drawl. It's an odd phenomenon that happens within that 40 mile stretch . . . probably because Charleston is the most northern spot in the Mississippi Delta region, and therefore the most northern spot in the Mississippi Delta culture.
Nah we’re bored as hell. Sounds like something different to do. I’m a big fan of checking out little towns. Very interesting re the accent given the region’s close proximity to us and Cape. Where you are from is far and away the prettiest part of Missouri. Everything west of Stl is flat and dull. As a kid my parents and I would go to Table Rock a few times a summer. Beautiful area.

Nah we’re bored as hell. Sounds like something different to do. I’m a big fan of checking out little towns. Very interesting re the accent given the region’s close proximity to us and Cape. Where you are from is far and away the prettiest part of Missouri. Everything west of Stl is flat and dull. As a kid my parents and I would go to Table Rock a few times a summer. Beautiful area.
Well, I'm not from there. It's my parents' home town; i've never lived there . . . although almost every vacation we took was to that town (and Hayti, deeper in the bootheel), to visit family.

Here's some info on the festival: https://charlestonmo.org/festival/.

I wonder how many people freaked out about the caronavirus are freaked out about getting flu shots?
Btw, our good ol' liberal mayor and his crew are keeping the lid (or has it gotten out?) on all the traces of recreational drugs in the Bloomington water supply...

Just seemed like a good place to dub that in.

Hang on. Trying to understand your metaphor. Is the lawyer the adulterer or the woman scorned?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT