ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court to decide Trump immunity claim

One cannot pass high school US history without being able to correctly explain this. And it would be considered a no-brainer.

I don’t think there are many lawyers, if any, who would have advised that Trumps conduct were crimes as alleged in the Bragg case, the DC case, or the Georgia case. And throw in the James civil case. and we see all of this involve very unique and unprecedented applications of the law. They are abuses of the system aimed at Trump, not legitimate applications of the law aimed at protecting a public interest.

The documents case is different. But just in the last few days, the Judge announced she will release documents about the GSA and these documents that the Biden Justice Department desperately tried to keep from public view. More to come on that one.

CoH, always impressed with the way you word things.

For example, you used the phrase "unique and unprecidented".

Couldn't this phrase also apply to actions taken by President Trump which have resulted in the court cases ?

Reactions: UncleMark
CoH, always impressed with the way you word things.

For example, you used the phrase "unique and unprecidented".

Couldn't this phrase also apply to actions taken by President Trump which have resulted in the court cases ?
I’ve heard and read that argument often.

I don’t buy it.

Criminal law has to have consistency and predictability. Unprecedented, unusual, and tortured applications of the law in order to target an individual is not consistent with any view of due process. People often mention al Capone in this context. His tax evasion was a pretty standard application of the tax law even though Capone was the first one nailed for not reporting ill-gotten money as income.

There is nothing standard or ordinary about the Trump prosecutions except for the documents case,

Since when is undermining the election in the scope of presidential duties?

The fact that you are comfortable with someone interfering in the very election that they are running in says a lot.

That was campaign Trump. Campaign stuff has nothing to do with presidential duties. Read up on Hatch Act. Trump and his cronies got caught ignoring that numerous times.
Oh

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
So you are saying Trump wasn't doing official duties when he was messing with the election.

Glad we are on the same page.

And no, investigating Trump on his election bs isn't an issue..
Did your propaganda feed tell you that?

I love when you talk law

Reactions: ulrey
If the Supremes decides a President has absolute immunity Biden should trek over and shoot a handful of them to test the ruling.
That will never be the ruling and you know it. You can’t kill someone, shoot someone, rape someone, sell national secrets, commit some major financial crime, etc. But the office of the President is just too big for a President to have to worry about trivial little things where he forgot to dot an I or cross a T somewhere. It simply can't be allowed or the office wouldn't be able to exist. Trump survives because he has billions to buy an army of the best lawyers in America to defend him at every turn. What happens to the next Harry Truman when his bookkeeper lables a reimbursement to his lawyer a legal expense?

That will never be the ruling and you know it. You can’t kill someone, shoot someone, rape someone, sell national secrets, commit some major financial crime, etc. But the office of the President is just too big for a President to have to worry about trivial little things where he forgot to dot an I or cross a T somewhere. It simply can't be allowed or the office wouldn't be able to exist. Trump survives because he has billions to buy an army of the best lawyers in America to defend him at every turn. What happens to the next Harry Truman when his bookkeeper lables a reimbursement to his lawyer a legal expense?

Trumps lawyer argued that very thing, didn't he?

Or am I just mis-remembering?

Apparently you can do all those things according to trump defenders

That will never be the ruling and you know it. You can’t kill someone, shoot someone, rape someone, sell national secrets, commit some major financial crime, etc. But the office of the President is just too big for a President to have to worry about trivial little things

The courts are charged with drawing lines. They decide where the line is between the big shit and the trivial in nearly all cases, no matter who is involved. This case won't change that. The Supremes will have to draw a line somewhere between assassinating your opponent or fomenting rebellion or stealing state secrets and jaywalking.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
Trump survives because he has billions to buy an army of the best lawyers in America to defend him at every turn.
Canadian Lol GIF

1. It was hyperbole
2. You're a daffy bastard

Reactions: zeke4ahs
The courts are charged with drawing lines. They decide where the line is between the big shit and the trivial in nearly all cases, no matter who is involved. This case won't change that. The Supremes will have to draw a line somewhere between assassinating your opponent or fomenting rebellion or stealing state secrets and jaywalking.
Or assassinating an American citizen, invading another country and killing millions, molesting your own daughter, etc. The line has to be drawn.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The supreme court is bought and paid for.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I like you Willdog. Would you be willing to accept the nomination at the convention when we kick Joe to the curb? We’d give you Whitmer as your running mate, or would you insist on Sharpton?
You would not like me. I like Kamala Harris at least, she gives a damn about black people.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
Criminal law has to have consistency and predictability. Unprecedented, unusual, and tortured applications of the law in order to target an individual is not consistent with any view of due process.
1. I'm going to regret wading into this mess.

2. Criminal law not only does not have to have consistency or predictability, but it isn't possible to have it within our system. Every jury will have random jurors. They will reach different conclusions from similar evidence.

3. Claiming that unprecedented or unusual prosecutions aren't appropriate doesn't further due process. It simply rewards novel criminals.

4. Due process doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a due process violation. Due process includes notice, the right to respond, and several other protections, but it doesn't include the right to predictability or consistency, especially within criminal law.

Trumps lawyer argued that very thing, didn't he?

Or am I just mis-remembering?
Technically, that’s wrong. The question involved the President’s ordering a Seal team to take out a political rival.

That would be within the executives’ purview, the use of a military force. So the Court might wade into the very murky waters of what the limits to those powers are. It’s not as easy a question when you’re dealing with separated powers.

They will probably reference some old principles that are known in Latin, not sure which ones. I highly doubt they buy Trump’s whole argument.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
. Claiming that unprecedented or unusual prosecutions aren't appropriate doesn't further due process. It simply rewards novel criminals.
Well us laymen see "Unprecedented" or "unusual" or "NEVER DONE IN THE HISTORY" of the country....
It' comes down to, this is a country made by men. Strong risk taking men and women who walked right along side.
Lawyer speak and twisting words, has crescendo to war time bullshit speak from the weak. There are still christian based rights and wrongs,that need to be followed.
We have allowed, hell ELECTED generation of people that get $$$$$ to make dozens of laws that contradict each other simply to build in complexity.
I believe Trump had an agreement/ Directive... For every new law proposed to me, delete 3 outdated laws... or everything is a veto!

1. I'm going to regret wading into this mess.

2. Criminal law not only does not have to have consistency or predictability, but it isn't possible to have it within our system. Every jury will have random jurors. They will reach different conclusions from similar evidence.

3. Claiming that unprecedented or unusual prosecutions aren't appropriate doesn't further due process. It simply rewards novel criminals.

4. Due process doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a due process violation. Due process includes notice, the right to respond, and several other protections, but it doesn't include the right to predictability or consistency, especially within criminal law.
Some considerations from a cross-ideological group:

They’re talking about the S. Ct. Fencing was put up after the abortion decision was leaked. I don’t think they had fencing around Jan 6 at the court
Right. At the Court, but I said in DC. And that started when they had to fence in after J6.

Or assassinating an American citizen, invading another country and killing millions, molesting your own daughter, etc. The line has to be drawn.
Has Trump actually molested her? Or just talked about it? I mean it wouldn’t surprise me but I’m surprised you admit it.

You used a few polysyllabic words in that post, and I didn't think you were capable of that. However, the content is as stupid as ever.

The word is "labels," not "lables."

Some considerations from a cross-ideological group:

Brad's link seems to be in conflict frikken's point above.

Brad's link seems to be in conflict frikken's point above.
Frik’s post misses that prosecutors aren’t supposed to bring politics and bias to their job. Brad’s link is spot on

And the lion’s share of crimes are routine, uniform and predictable with respect to dispositions. It ensures efficiency in the judicial system. Very few cases go to trial where the vagaries of juries come into play

It’s shocking nyc tied up resources on what trump was accused of doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT