ADVERTISEMENT

SUGGESTION FOR ESPN

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
This doesn't just apply to today and our Game, but it is an example of what is happening throughout College Basketball.. On ESPN , the Arkansas-Tennessee game was broadcast before ours. The last 4 Minutes took over 30 Minutes to plat with Timeouts and about 20 minutes of replay reviews. Game started at Noon and ended around 2:3 0 p.m. They cut to our game with less than 10 Minutes left in the Half.

I understand ESPN moves this stuff to other platforms, but I am a 70 Year old fart, with minimal Technology IQ. I an happy that the clock on the VCR no long blinks 12:00, I remember to charge my flip cell phone, and my Computer comes on and works each day.

My point is maybe ESPN needs to allocate 2.5 Hours per game and set the starting times accordingly. If You have a game that fits the two Hour frame, You have Studio People Who can fill time or preview the next game, If the game goes 2:20, you can fill 10 minutes with highlights, and analysis. Fox seems to set starting times this way with out major problems.

Also, We lost Picture and Audio for about 10 Minutes (5 minutes of playing time) halfway through the 2nd Half. I surfed through the 4 ESPN Stations We have on our package, and all of them had no picture or Audio. I assume that was an ESPN Network problem and not a Service Provider problem. Anyone hear anything about this?

This doesn't just apply to today and our Game, but it is an example of what is happening throughout College Basketball.. On ESPN , the Arkansas-Tennessee game was broadcast before ours. The last 4 Minutes took over 30 Minutes to plat with Timeouts and about 20 minutes of replay reviews. Game started at Noon and ended around 2:3 0 p.m. They cut to our game with less than 10 Minutes left in the Half.

I understand ESPN moves this stuff to other platforms, but I am a 70 Year old fart, with minimal Technology IQ. I an happy that the clock on the VCR no long blinks 12:00, I remember to charge my flip cell phone, and my Computer comes on and works each day.

My point is maybe ESPN needs to allocate 2.5 Hours per game and set the starting times accordingly. If You have a game that fits the two Hour frame, You have Studio People Who can fill time or preview the next game, If the game goes 2:20, you can fill 10 minutes with highlights, and analysis. Fox seems to set starting times this way with out major problems.

Also, We lost Picture and Audio for about 10 Minutes (5 minutes of playing time) halfway through the 2nd Half. I surfed through the 4 ESPN Stations We have on our package, and all of them had no picture or Audio. I assume that was an ESPN Network problem and not a Service Provider problem. Anyone hear anything about this?
I am with you 100%. By the way, I get laughed at on here when I talk about my VCR. I've never had a DVR but I still have the VCR.

Reactions: kmathum
BSPN is part of the SEC, so any SEC team playing would get dibs no matter what area youre watching in! Total bs! Its not just bspn doing this though! Indiana needs to bring back channel 4! where we could all watch any IU/Pacer game without any interruptions!

I am with you 100%. By the way, I get laughed at on here when I talk about my VCR. I've never had a DVR but I still have the VCR
I am with you 100%. By the way, I get laughed at on here when I talk about my VCR. I've never had a DVR but I still have the VCR.
I cringe whenever IU is scheduled on ESPN. They always allow only two hours for games and the way replays are used in today's games even games that aren't close extend an additional 15 minutes. Sometimes ESPN utilizes their news channel, but today they had, what I'm sure was a critical African Basketball League game that they couldn't cut into.

Completely agree. I posted on IU/PU game thread... that they need to knock out a few more commercials when the time is running close. But oh no.... that won't give up their money!!!!!!

It's not like espn doesn't have enough talking heads to eat up some lag time after a game.

I lost my internet radio feed with less than three minutes to play. I am missing the days with aluminium foil on the antenna.

Texas at Kansas ran long, past the start time for UNC at Duke. ESPN News is playing "World Chase Tag - UK Nationals." No switch.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I lost my internet radio feed with less than three minutes to play. I am missing the days with aluminium foil on the antenna.
I go back to the old days of Black and White TV, test Patterns, and set top rabbit ears antennas. There were times we discovered that if We set the antenna in a certain position, and positioned a family member to stand in a certain spot, We got a really good picture. I can still hear my Father directing Me. "One step to your left. Wow half
a step forward. And hold the position for the next 3 0 Minutes."

My feed went out in Northern Indiana, Comcast and so did my moms feed 6 miles away, new Paris Cablevision. Somebody kicked a plug at espn to kill everyone feed

Three straight plays with three straight sideline video reviews, all confirming the initial call. The last one took a full five minutes and even the announcers couldn't believe it. The IU game was joined in progress at the 8:15 mark of the first half. My ass was frosted. I can't believe in this age of technology they still don't always provide an option to switch games or at least provide a split screen if selected on the remote control.

BSPN is part of the SEC, so any SEC team playing would get dibs no matter what area youre watching in! Total bs! Its not just bspn doing this though! Indiana needs to bring back channel 4! where we could all watch any IU/Pacer game without any interruptions!
Why doesn’t IU create a streaming app. I think we would also watch “non tv sports” like track, field hockey, wrestling, etc.

I lost YouTube TV with 14 seconds left... Was pretty sure the loss was in the bag, though, so didn't stress

Sounds like I was the only person here who didn’t lose the IU/PU game at some point yesterday.
I, too, am old and if it wasn’t for my Kids setting me up with the App a few years back, I would have been out of luck too. We kicked Comcast to the curb a few years back. I recommend YouTube or Hulu TV. Very happy.

I go back to the old days of Black and White TV, test Patterns, and set top rabbit ears antennas. There were times we discovered that if We set the antenna in a certain position, and positioned a family member to stand in a certain spot, We got a really good picture. I can still hear my Father directing Me. "One step to your left. Wow half
a step forward. And hold the position for the next 3 0 Minutes."
Preaching to the choir, brother. It was "FREE" TV, but with a broken rotor box, it was a challenging effort for this skinny armed kid standing in the snow trying to turn a rusty antenna toward the east to reign in the "Chesty Chips" lad on Channel 4. My old man would rap on the window with his Falstaff bottle indicating that my misery was finally over as we have a clear picture. Yeah, I'm a fossil!😉

Reactions: Jssanto
Preaching to the choir, brother. It was "FREE" TV, but with a broken rotor box, it was a challenging effort for this skinny armed kid standing in the snow trying to turn a rusty antenna toward the east to reign in the "Chesty Chips" lad on Channel 4. My old man would rap on the window with his Falstaff bottle indicating that my misery was finally over as we have a clear picture. Yeah, I'm a fossil!😉
I love your reference to Falstaff. When I first moved to Fort Wayne in 1977, Falstaff had a big Regional brewery a mile East of Downtown, and one of the largest Employer in the area. To bring back further memories while on Campus at IU, Big Red Liq ours was having a 6 Pack Sale of selected brands one weekend, I remember buying 2 Cases including brands like Falstaff, Olympia, Drewerys, Falls City, Wiedemann, Mickeys Big Mouth, Little Kings, and Carlings Black Label, I think I had a Headache for a month.

I love your reference to Falstaff. When I first moved to Fort Wayne in 1977, Falstaff had a big Regional brewery a mile East of Downtown, and one of the largest Employer in the area. To bring back further memories while on Campus at IU, Big Red Liq ours was having a 6 Pack Sale of selected brands one weekend, I remember buying 2 Cases including brands like Falstaff, Olympia, Drewerys, Falls City, Wiedemann, Mickeys Big Mouth, Little Kings, and Carlings Black Label, I think I had a Headache for a month.
Oh, for the love of Gawd. A headache from all of the above mentioned labels. Swamp pizz! I grew up in Terre Haute and of course we had the old TH Brewery which produced Champaign Velvet🤮 We also had a Weidemanns Distributor and when you add to the rotation the almighty dragon slayer, "Sterling," it was the perfect storm for misery. Sterling! Sweet Jesus, priest, I swear they melted down rusty nails and added poison. Now that I think of it, though, I could've probably used some of those brews watching this season.😥

Oh, for the love of Gawd. A headache from all of the above mentioned labels. Swamp pizz! I grew up in Terre Haute and of course we had the old TH Brewery which produced Champaign Velvet🤮 We also had a Weidemanns Distributor and when you add to the rotation the almighty dragon slayer, "Sterling," it was the perfect storm for misery. Sterling! Sweet Jesus, priest, I swear they melted down rusty nails and added poison. Now that I think of it, though, I could've probably used some of those brews watching this season.😥
I forgot about Sterling. I remember Drinking it at some point. Or is it more like I'm trying to forget about drinking it. My Wife keeps telling Me I may have a drinking problem. I tell Her that is not possible because I only drink on two occasions. When IU is playing and when they aren't.

The good old days of fly fishing for trout in the Wabash.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
Wiedemann satisfies a thirst monumental and sincere

I forgot about Sterling. I remember Drinking it at some point. Or is it more like I'm trying to forget about drinking it. My Wife keeps telling Me I may have a drinking problem. I tell Her that is not possible because I only drink on two occasions. When IU is playing and when they aren't.
The Sterling Quality Pledge
We know of no beer made with finer ingredients than Sterling.
We use choice grown hops, select 2-row barley and filtered pure water
to brew this premium beer. These select malts and hops, together with our natural aging, make Sterling the finest beer obtainable at any price.

My roommate had a poster of this in our freshman dorm. Hard to read with a straight face. Still made in name only-just like Falls City (Fall Shitty)

Enjoyed a few with the guys next door -one was a guy by the name of Joe Brunk. Maybe you've heard of his kid?

I really liked an ice cold Sterling beer, brewed in Evansville. My Dad would let me have a "sip", if I went and got him a Sterling out of the basement 'fridge. I also was a big fan of Double Cola. Chesty chips - awesome! Was Chesty out of THaute?

The Sterling Quality Pledge
We know of no beer made with finer ingredients than Sterling.
We use choice grown hops, select 2-row barley and filtered pure water
to brew this premium beer. These select malts and hops, together with our natural aging, make Sterling the finest beer obtainable at any price.

My roommate had a poster of this in our freshman dorm. Hard to read with a straight face. Still made in name only-just like Falls City (Fall Shitty)

Enjoyed a few with the guys next door -one was a guy by the name of Joe Brunk. Maybe you've heard of his kid?
Hanover grad? Didn't Joe end up playing on their golf team too? Thought I remembered a story about that.

Hanover grad? Didn't Joe end up playing on their golf team too? Thought I remembered a story about that.
Yes. He played golf. A great guy who never met a stranger. Gone too soon. Joey was the spittin image.

Wiedemann satisfies a thirst monumental and sincere
My grandfather's preferred brand was Falls City which was a Louisville brewery, I believe. When his buddies were at his house, he frequently broke out the PBR - his idea of high-brow beverage. My dad was a Blatz man.

When I was an undergrad at IU, Big Red Liquors frequently had Ballantine discounted. The standard joke around our apartment was that it was bottled in the basement of Ballantine Hall.

My sophomore year, Osco had a huge clearance of Billy Beer (which I think was bottled by Falls City). Ninety-nine cent for a six-pack. My roommates and I bought fifty sixers and kept them on stock for most of the year. Nasty stuff. We would buy and split a twelve pack of decent beer, then drink Billy once our taste buds were sufficiently numb.

I really liked an ice cold Sterling beer, brewed in Evansville. My Dad would let me have a "sip", if I went and got him a Sterling out of the basement 'fridge. I also was a big fan of Double Cola. Chesty chips - awesome! Was Chesty out of THaute?
Yes, Chesty Chips was in TH. My buddie's Dad always had Sterling in their fridge and I snuck my first sip of it when I was around 12. I think my reaction was much like Jack Nicholson's "chicken wing" movement in "Easy Rider." Didn't go down real smoooooth!

Last edited:
My grandfather's preferred brand was Falls City which was a Louisville brewery, I believe. When his buddies were at his house, he frequently broke out the PBR - his idea of high-brow beverage. My dad was a Blatz man.

When I was an undergrad at IU, Big Red Liquors frequently had Ballantine discounted. The standard joke around our apartment was that it was bottled in the basement of Ballantine Hall.

My sophomore year, Osco had a huge clearance of Billy Beer (which I think was bottled by Falls City). Ninety-nine cent for a six-pack. My roommates and I bought fifty sixers and kept them on stock for most of the year. Nasty stuff. We would buy and split a twelve pack of decent beer, then drink Billy once our taste buds were sufficiently numb.
Yes, either L'ville or Cincy.
My uncles drank Budweiser and lots of Strohs. Back in the day when everybody had a church key in many handy places.

Nothing like partying on top of Wright Quad in late April with
a few Falls City listening to student bands. Some of the bands
were pretty darn good, so was the beer.

Remember the Blatz commercials when Jack McLean did the sports on the news in Eville.

I Remember Drewry's beer for 99 cents a six pack in the late 70's in Eville. Now you can but a used can for $9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2241655478...KzZkGwhBArg_rJoWcHKcjSGxIAsi4ue8aAp9PEALw_wcB

Now I drink micro brewed beer and didn't miss a beat any of the game using the ESPN app. I like the app because it doesn't seem to scroll scores of games that I may have DVR'd that are completed.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT