ADVERTISEMENT

SUGGESTION FOR ESPN

The Sterling Quality Pledge
We know of no beer made with finer ingredients than Sterling.
We use choice grown hops, select 2-row barley and filtered pure water
to brew this premium beer. These select malts and hops, together with our natural aging, make Sterling the finest beer obtainable at any price.

My roommate had a poster of this in our freshman dorm. Hard to read with a straight face. Still made in name only-just like Falls City (Fall Shitty)

Enjoyed a few with the guys next door -one was a guy by the name of Joe Brunk. Maybe you've heard of his kid?

Some of you have probably been to Bonge's Tavern in Perkinsville, IN which is now a destination restaurant out in the middle of nowhere.....

https://www.bongestavern.com/

Back in the day, it was a great dive bar owned and operated by Chuck Bonge who loved Sterling. Part of the deal of going there was that you had to keep an extra Sterling at your table/bar seat, so as Chuck circulated the room, he could just pull up a seat next to "his" Sterling and as he talked, he would sip on it.

He would then move to another table where he also had a Sterling waiting for him. At any given time, he might have 5-6 beers going all at once----all Sterling.

I really liked an ice cold Sterling beer, brewed in Evansville. My Dad would let me have a "sip", if I went and got him a Sterling out of the basement 'fridge. I also was a big fan of Double Cola. Chesty chips - awesome! Was Chesty out of THaute?
It was out of Terre Haute and suffered from being far ahead of the culinary world in Indiana at that time. Palates are now sophisticated enough but the priceless original recipe has been lost. We tended to RC's and Twinkies to rehydrate and build muscle after pick up games.

I tell my wife how my grandfather used to say-bring me a cold one-and my grandmother would practically run to the refrigerator. My wife isn't much for my nostalgia.

I love your reference to Falstaff. When I first moved to Fort Wayne in 1977, Falstaff had a big Regional brewery a mile East of Downtown, and one of the largest Employer in the area. To bring back further memories while on Campus at IU, Big Red Liq ours was having a 6 Pack Sale of selected brands one weekend, I remember buying 2 Cases including brands like Falstaff, Olympia, Drewerys, Falls City, Wiedemann, Mickeys Big Mouth, Little Kings, and Carlings Black Label, I think I had a Headache for a month.
Falstaff.
Falls City.
Black Label.

Man, do those bring back childhood memories.

Spent one summer drinking Red White and Blue. $4.99 a twelve.

Nasty shit.
In college, me and a buddy worked together at a gas station. After subtracting all of our expenses from our paychecks, we had about $10/piece left over for "fun".

We'd stop by the liquor store and pick up a 40oz Budweiser (big glass bottle) and suck it down to get "lubricated". Then we'd dive into the Old Milwaukee's Best - $1.99 a 6-pk at Harvest Market. Might be the rankest beer ever made, but after slugging down the Bud you couldn't really taste how bad they were. We'd take a hunting knife, puncture a small hole in the bottom of the can, then pull the tab and shotgun those babies down.

A cheap drunk, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Thankful I can afford Yuengling now.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Yes, Chesty Chips was in TH. My buddie's Dad always had Sterling in their fridge and I snuck my first sip of it when I was around 12. I think my reaction was much like Jack Nicholson's "chicken wing" movement in "Easy Rider." Didn't go down real smoooooth!
When I was young (in my prime, able to get find "piece" any ole time) we used to go around the neighborhood at night "Christmas shopping". We would sneak into unlocked garages at night, often finding a refrigerator stocked with beer.
We even stole from my friend's dad, who was a big long-necked Black Label man for many years before one night switching, inexplicably, to Stroh's. It must have been the marketing lure of the fire-brewing technique. Anyway, the sport all ended for me when i got back into bed one night with beer on my breath. The wife was pissed. I had been missed!

Another popular beer of the day was Shlitz, which when verbalized in long, drawn out fashion imitated the sound of one retching his guts of too much of that barley beer. We once hid a whole case of Schlitz in a cornfield, not hiding it nearly good enough, come to find out, as a wave of depression washed over us.

To this day, I will on appropriate occasion, launch into my Jack Nicholson "chicken wing" visual display, along with a "Nip, Nip...SWAMP!" in auditory punctuation. It's always good for a laugh to those who enjoyed the movie as much as I did. To those having never seen the movie, it always manages to illicit a "WTF was that?" response. I'm always happy to explain the situation to them, as it offers opportunity to bogart that joint from my friends.

In college, me and a buddy worked together at a gas station. After subtracting all of our expenses from our paychecks, we had about $10/piece left over for "fun".

We'd stop by the liquor store and pick up a 40oz Budweiser (big glass bottle) and suck it down to get "lubricated". Then we'd dive into the Old Milwaukee's Best - $1.99 a 6-pk at Harvest Market. Might be the rankest beer ever made, but after slugging down the Bud you couldn't really taste how bad they were. We'd take a hunting knife, puncture a small hole in the bottom of the can, then pull the tab and shotgun those babies down.

A cheap drunk, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Thankful I can afford Yuengling now.
and where I lived nothing but a drunk Falstaff guzzlin Dizzy Dean and the blankety blank Yankees on the Game of the Week every week.

Falstaff.
Falls City.
Black Label.

I still enjoy flashing the "Wiedemann sign" out the car window. It's just an added ring finger to the "peace sign". When I flash it to older guys they sometimes flash it back. It tells me they're of kindred spirit as I roll up the window with a warm fuzzy just collected from days gone by, now in days of future, passed. When I flash it to women, the usual response is the one fingered salute. I like that one, too, thinking how much I'd like to.. another warm fuzzy, this one collected just for the sac(k/sake of it.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
and where I lived nothing but a drunk Falstaff guzzlin Dizzy Dean and the blankety blank Yankees on the Game of the Week every week.

Ah, yes..the very appropriately labeled Dizzy Dean's "Trophy" Room. Beer and appetizers served on a silver-plated platter after a long day at the ball park, only to be serviced once again much later, back when men were MEN with their women, servants with a smile!

Where I lived in rural Indiana it seemed the only liquor underaged kids could get was cherry or orange vodka. Putrid. I believe it was my freshman year and I was on jv and had gotten like a pint bottle of orange vodka from my cousin. It only had a small amount left in the bottom but was like a trophy. After the game the varsity coach got on the bus after an away game and said this idiot on varsity said someone stole his wallet and so was going to search everyone. My life flashed in front of my eyes and got the bottle out of my gym bag and stuffed it between the seats. He didn't find it and later the idiot found his wallet at home. Rural underaged kids always seemed forced to drink the most putrid gut wrenching concoctions available.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
After the game the varsity coach got on the bus after an away game and said this idiot on varsity said someone stole his wallet and so was going to search everyone.
He'd need a certified search warrant to pull that sh*t today. Put his hand near my gland and he gets busted in the chops in cry of self defense.

I had a friend that went into a food store that had wine pretending he was blind (cane and dark glasses) and gave a note ostensibly from his parents asking that he purchase a bottle of wine. They told him no. Some years later he died of alcoholism.

Falstaff.
Falls City.
Black Label.

Goebels was right in line there with those brands....

I recall visiting Ferris State and they had Falstaff bottles in these little yellow crates. My buddy's room was filled with "furniture" and "storage" made from those crates.

That was always reserved for ice fishing. Not sure why, but that's just the way it was as a kid
Remember the Blatz commercials when Jack McLean did the sports on the news in Eville.

I Remember Drewry's beer for 99 cents a six pack in the late 70's in Eville. Now you can but a used can for $9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2241655478...KzZkGwhBArg_rJoWcHKcjSGxIAsi4ue8aAp9PEALw_wcB

Now I drink micro brewed beer and didn't miss a beat any of the game using the ESPN app. I like the app because it doesn't seem to scroll scores of games that I may have DVR'd that are completed.
I gave IPA's a good extended try but just don't like them. I always return to Pilseners and Lagers after trying some tangent for a while. Do many people really prefer IPA's?

No. I used to get a russian stout at the bar in Whole Foods Market when they had one on tap. Quite tasty but never had Left Hand Brewery but now will look for it.

I gave IPA's a good extended try but just don't like them. I always return to Pilseners and Lagers after trying some tangent for a while. Do many people really prefer IPA's?
Cincinnati had a great place called Flipdaddy's - awesome burgers and killer IPA's brewed in-house. My favorite there was 9.2 apv. Without question, you need a designated driver if you went there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT