ADVERTISEMENT

suckered once again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is, which again, is why the university is ass backwards.

Indiana, not just as a institution but also as a state, always seems to react late to the party and reject change to what's happening.

Football is the money maker, yet why is football always second fiddle around here? Once October hits, basketball will be king.

When people wanted Archie out of here, it was no problem at all to get donors to pony up the buyout money. When we fired Sheridan, Allen had to take a payout help pay for it. I have a suspicion it would have been the same to get rid of our offensive line coach.

Part of the job of the A.D. is to get donors on board. That's shouldn't be hard to do for a football program, yet it sure seems hard to do here. It always feels like CTA is fighting a uphill battle, especially with silly things like having to pay for buyouts that he shouldn't have to do.

Indiana is ass backwards as a institution, which it seems to accept.
You've described a fans problem, not a university problem.

Reactions: walkerman
The fact remains that there are a large number of citizens in the state of Indiana who love IU basketball but do not give a shit about IU football. Many of these folks never played football and attended high schools that did not even have a football team. That is changing, but it will still be a few years before football catches basketball in popularity in this state.
It's also much easier to get people to support a program with a long history of national success and recognition vs. a program that has never in its history experienced sustained success - let alone national relevance. We could build the finest stadium in the country, and it would simply mean more empty seats on gameday. It's a catch-22 for sure. You have to win to get butts in the seats and donor money to flow, but it's hard to win without having the money already in hand.
I agree that there are things the university could do to improve attendance and the interest in football, but people want to see a winning team or they will be slow to embrace the experience. I lay a lot of the blame on the B1G itself. The conference division alignment and the 9-game conference schedule make it difficult for a program like ours to get a foothold on winning and consistently making bowl games. And while the BTN money has been a huge windfall, it has been a massive detriment to getting people to buy season tickets, attend games in-person, and become a football patron.
So correct from top to bottom. Basic history lesson lining out FB in the state of Indiana. Would add the Colts move to and staying in Indiana has added positively to the advancement of FB.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
If you think the people that make the decisions about football and basketball over the past 20 years don't understand the math/revenue that you laid out, then you have your head up your own ass.
They’ve understood the math for decades. It’s what they've chosen to do about it that is meaningful.

Reactions: jsenleo
If you think the people that make the decisions about football and basketball over the past 20 years don't understand the math/revenue that you laid out, then you have your head up your own ass.

You just made my point.

It's always about basketball. Basketball is always in the conversation when football is brought up, because basketball in king at Indiana.

Thank you.

Post-Doninger, every AD has made football a priority. Except maybe Clapacs, but he doesn’t count in my book.
A priority over basketball? Not really. They’ve made it more of a priority than it was for maybe ten years, but it hasn’t been prioritized over basketball.

This could be the dumbest post I've read on here in months. Thanks

Really?

What has the university done to get fans invested?

Horrible coaching hires? That's for sure. We've had like four or five coaches in program history with a career winning record here.

We didn't start hiring serious coaches until Hep, and then made a emotional decision with Lynch. Not his fault, but he wasn't qualified to be a Big 10 head coach. Wilson, if he could controll himself, could have been good, and I think Allen has a chance to be good here for a long time.

We are making headway with facilities, but we desperately need a new indoor facility. That thing needs tore down and rebuilt. It's old and dated.

What am I missing? I guess the big flag that was put up some years ago.

Because Indiana, as a whole in terms of a institution, is ass backwards in that we think basketball is what drives athletics when in fact football is what is king in the grand scheme of things in the world of college athletics.
**cough**

DROP FOOTBALL. JOIN THE BIG EAST

**cough**

If the university conditioned the fan to not care about football for so long, who's fault is it?

The university should have done more for football in the past and even today the commitment to football is not what it should be BUT I don't think the university has conditioned anyone not to care about FB.

I will agree that the Colts have helped but Indiana was a basketball state so I am not sure how much IU could have done to stem that tide. The lack of support for the football program from fans was ingrained into the fabric of the state.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Really?

Horrible coaching hires? That's for sure. We've had like four or five coaches in program history with a career winning record here.

We didn't start hiring serious coaches until Hep, and then made a emotional decision with Lynch. Not his fault, but he wasn't qualified to be a Big 10 head coach. Wilson, if he could controll himself, could have been good, and I think Allen has a chance to be good here for a long time.

We are making headway with facilities, but we desperately need a new indoor facility. That thing needs tore down and rebuilt. It's old and dated.

I said since Doninger, dude.

Hep came right after DiNardo, who was not successful on the field but as much as anyone pushed the envelope of saying 'you've gotta give football a higher priority!'

Football brings in more than just, "the most money"....

Make that about 4X the amount of revenue that basketball brings in...

The average college football program brings in ... . $32 million per year
The average college basketball program brings in ... $8 million per year.

In football alone, Michigan is #3 in revenue at $126 million per year... OSU is #4 making $116 million

In basketball alone, IU ranks #4.... bringing in only... (by comparison) ....$26 million.....

In ALL sports, IU makes $126 million... That's the same amount that Michigan makes from just football !!! The disparity between the two schools is ridiculous.

IU's B of T and Admin needs to get its head out of its A** and put it's money where it can make money... they've been stepping over dollars to pick up dimes for way too long.
This is all chump change against the $7 BILLION tv contract the B1G has signed. Assuming that money will be distributed evenly amongst all B1G teams then the sports financial playing field has pretty much been leveled. Approximately $500 million per school.

This is all chump change against the $7 BILLION tv contract the B1G has signed. Assuming that money will be distributed evenly amongst all B1G teams then the sports financial playing field has pretty much been leveled. Approximately $500 million per school.
Ummm....it hasn't been leveled within the conference. And SEC schools will have close to as that amount per school. SO yes, we'll be among the top 30 funded schools via TV money, but we'll still be woefully behind the schools that pack their football stadiums every week.

All that does is allows us the OPPORTUNITY to outspend the OKIE States, Texas Techs, Oregons, UNCs and the like from other conferences. Still near the bottom in the B1G and SEC.

Ummm....it hasn't been leveled within the conference. And SEC schools will have close to as that amount per school. SO yes, we'll be among the top 30 funded schools via TV money, but we'll still be woefully behind the schools that pack their football stadiums every week.

All that does is allows us the OPPORTUNITY to outspend the OKIE States, Texas Techs, Oregons, UNCs and the like from other conferences. Still near the bottom in the B1G and SEC.
46K sold Sat plus sold out parking for a no name game. They are getting there slowly,

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Really?

Al Bino said it best, the University hasn't conditioned the fans to disregard the FB program - ridiculous.

I understand your point. It actually is about how it really is (unfortunately).
But why can’t we be better? Why couldnt we compete for top ten? Michigan, Ohio State, Kentucky, seem to be good in football and basketball. Why can’t we have facilities, NIL, coaches, that attract guys headed to the NFL? and then a coach staff that develops them?
We were in the top 10 literally 2 years ago.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
When the “football schools” have been controlling basketball in the Big Ten for the last 25 years, it may be time to rethink things.
IU may be one of the few examples of a “basketball school” that doesn’t dominate its own conference in basketball. For all the emphasis, there’s been little in return since the turn of this century.

The university should have done more for football in the past and even today the commitment to football is not what it should be BUT I don't think the university has conditioned anyone not to care about FB.

I will agree that the Colts have helped but Indiana was a basketball state so I am not sure how much IU could have done to stem that tide. The lack of support for the football program from fans was ingrained into the fabric of the state.

I will agree with you that the state of Indiana is a basketball first state, which is where the problem lies.

I'm probably not wording my argument very well. I shouldn't have said the university conditioned people not to care about football. But I 100% believe the university has treated the football program as a lesser then, and that happened for entirely to long.

We have reversible jacket fans. Notre Dame Football and Indiana basketball. Does that happen anywhere else? I honestly don't know.

Reactions: Al Bino
Yes, better. But even if we sell out every week, we're still going to be woefully behind most of our B1G and SEC brethren for ticket revenue.

When we had an interim AD (I forget who it was) I went to here him speak. He said that Michigan made more in one home game that IU for the entire football season!! That season UM had EIGHT home games. Tough to compete with that!

In another thread someone mentioned 110,000 times $40 for UM per game. I have been a couple of times to the big house. The last time was probably 20 years ago and I paid $90 each for my son and I and we were in the corner about 2/3 of the way towards the top. I have to figure that it is well north of $100 now days.

When we had an interim AD (I forget who it was) I went to here him speak. He said that Michigan made more in one home game that IU for the entire football season!! That season UM had EIGHT home games. Tough to compete with that!

In another thread someone mentioned 110,000 times $40 for UM per game. I have been a couple of times to the big house. The last time was probably 20 years ago and I paid $90 each for my son and I and we were in the corner about 2/3 of the way towards the top. I have to figure that it is well north of $100 now days.

I was curious so I went and looked.

It really depends on the game, which completely makes sense. Right now, you can get tickets to UCONN for under $50 in the nose bleeds. The next home game against Michigan State, they jump to $255.

I'll tell you at the next tailgate. You park right next to me after all.
I do? I actually know the people to my east and north, but not to my west (they’re rarely there). To my south is the driveway that separates our row. What is your location? In case you’re not there, when are the suites going in?

I do? I actually know the people to my east and north, but not to my west (they’re rarely there). To my south is the driveway that separates our row. What is your location? In case you’re not there, when are the suites going in?
We went all through this last season. You remember, don't you...how quickly you changed the subject once your bluff was called.

But now you say that wasn't you...but oddly, you also park in the white lot just like that other guy claimed to. Such an amazing coinkydink...wouldn't you say?

What is your spot number?

We went all through this last season. You remember, don't you...how quickly you changed the subject once your bluff was called.

But now you say that wasn't you...but oddly, you also park in the white lot just like that other guy claimed to. Such an amazing coinkydink...wouldn't you say?

What is your spot number?
You claimed you park next to my spot . . . Not sure how you would know that, but I already told you I know the people to my east and north. Since you’ve made the claim, I’ll look forward to knowing if you’re in the spot to our west (I was there for Illinois but not Idaho). The people next to us were rarely there last season, so I have a feeling that’s not you. Since you brought t up, please let me know where your spot location. Thanks.

You claimed you park next to my spot . . . Not sure how you would know that, but I already told you I know the people to my east and north. Since you’ve made the claim, I’ll look forward to knowing if you’re in the spot to our west (I was there for Illinois but not Idaho). The people next to us were rarely there last season, so I have a feeling that’s not you. Since you brought t up, please let me know where your spot location. Thanks.
Where did you park at the Ill game?

Last edited:
Where did you park at the Ill game?
In the same spot I always do, with people I know to my east and north. The spot directly to my west was vacant. Sorry, but I’m not interested in another rabbit hole. Since you raised this, you can either reveal your spot or not, but I’m not playing along any longer.

In the same spot I always do, with people I know to my east and north. The spot directly to my west was vacant. Sorry, but I’m not interested in another rabbit hole. Since you raised this, you can either reveal your spot or not, but I’m not playing along any longer.
Which lot?

Thanks. Wasn’t there but the video of him going down was concerning. Appreciate the clarification.
Interesting, you were at the game and parked in "the same spot I always do" and yet "weren't there" by your own admission.

Tough to keep track of lies isn't it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT