ADVERTISEMENT

Stock market being closed isn't cool

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
With all due respect to former President Bush, this stock market being closed is baloney. I'm a Republican and I think it's a load of bull butter.

Then again, after yesterday's massacre, maybe it's a good thing.

With all due respect to former President Bush, this stock market being closed is baloney. I'm a Republican and I think it's a load of bull butter.

How many times had it happened? Ford is the only other that I remember

I wonder if Bush would have wanted it this way? Are you buying the dip?
I absolutely should be buying the dip. I'm self employed and it's feast or famine. I wish like crazy I could stuff my Roth IRA today. I could move a little money around...I can only put in about $3,700 until it's capped for the year.

I absolutely should be buying the dip. I'm self employed and it's feast or famine. I wish like crazy I could stuff my Roth IRA today. I could move a little money around...I can only put in about $3,700 until it's capped for the year.

If you use a backdoor Roth, I don't believe that there is a cap.

Reactions: td75

I welcome a day off after yesterday's 800 point decline.

If I remember correctly it closed on 9/11 and reopened the following Monday.

Big deal. That's not a problem.

The real problem is the closure of federal agencies. How many private sector workers took off from work to attend appointments at federal agencies?

Tens of thousands of individuals had visa appointments scheduled today at US embassies across the globe. Those were were cancelled and must be rescheduled. Do you have idea how poorly that reflects upon the United States? People wait months for appointments.

We have an entire bureaucracy of people who possess absolutely no common sense.

Reactions: meridian and td75
Big deal. That's not a problem.

The real problem is the closure of federal agencies. How many private sector workers took off from work to attend appointments at federal agencies?

Tens of thousands of individuals had visa appointments scheduled today at US embassies across the globe. Those were were cancelled and must be rescheduled. Do you have idea how poorly that reflects upon the United States? People wait months for appointments.

We have an entire bureaucracy of people who possess absolutely no common sense.
It’s interesting that we can’t have a day off for elections , but suddenly decided to do it today.

The Federal Govt closes for every POTUS funeral.

Good grief people.

We know that. Doesn't mean it's right. I strongly disagree with giving public workers another holiday simply because a prior President died. Let them honor that Pres during their lunch break.

Suddenly? It's been done for every President since at least JFK.
I know. I just mean that they can do it with just a few days notice, but say it would be too difficult to do it when they obviously would know about it in advance.

You'd bitch if a Republican had you hanged with a new rope.
Some people live to bitch and guarantee if situation were reversed very same posters would bitch '' How could Trump have let the stock market be open on this day?" Bubbles are a wonderful thing I guess

The same people complaining about the government being closed would be on here saying how horrific it was that Trump did not follow protocol and was the first President not to close the government since Kennedy's death had he not done so.

Those evil "people". There must have been a boatload of posts deleted in this thread. I see a pub complaining, a poster saying if they can do it this quickly, they should be able to do the same on election day, and toastedbread.

So, by "people", did you mean "person"?

Those evil "people". There must have been a boatload of posts deleted in this thread. I see a pub complaining, a poster saying if they can do it this quickly, they should be able to do the same on election day, and toastedbread.

So, by "people", did you mean "person"?

Did I stutter? Perhaps if I drew you a picture in crayon it would be easier for you to understand. I meant what I said.

Reactions: herrli
Did I stutter? Perhaps if I drew you a picture in crayon it would be easier for you to understand. I meant what I said.

Lack of stuttering does not make your statement any less false.

BTW, Stanley approve of your post:

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u3.jpg

In a non germane thread, the economy is close to the 2% target for inflation in the US.

The 2% target came from the Kiwis. They were looking at other countries , but found no country had a solution, They set their rate to 2%. Smaller countries, mostly Common Wealth countries.

Greenspan and Yellin discussed the idea. Greenspan suggested and Yellin countered with 2% and it stuck.

Just think what might have happened if she were taller.

There is no point, they are all so immersed in self pity because Trump is President they cant see straight.

Maybe you should close your legs.

How much is trade vs. Yield Curve inversion (3s/5s)?

Inverted curve has to be at least part of it...that always spooks people....I think China is more of it, however.

GDP should slow next year into the mid 2s.... inflation under 2. Unemployment under 4.

That's a goldilocks economy...not overheated but still growing. Basically what every Fed Chair would dream up as perfect. Market of course loves sugar rushes and the next big thing. If we can get some resolution on China...or at least an armistice....2019 could be a decent year....after a goose egg this year.

Inverted curve has to be at least part of it...that always spooks people....I think China is more of it, however.

GDP should slow next year into the mid 2s.... inflation under 2. Unemployment under 4.

That's a goldilocks economy...not overheated but still growing. Basically what every Fed Chair would dream up as perfect. Market of course loves sugar rushes and the next big thing. If we can get some resolution on China...or at least an armistice....2019 could be a decent year....after a goose egg this year.

Sure seems like China is going to get much worse. Arresting the CFO of Huwawei. Don't be shocked if the Chinese retaliate against an American executive.

No idea. Sounded like something to do with banking/finances?
Huawei Executive Took Part in Sanctions Fraud, Prosecutors Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/technology/huawei-meng-wanzhou-fraud.html

At a bail hearing in Vancouver for Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of Huawei and a daughter of the company’s founder, Canadian prosecutors said she was accused of fraud. The heart of the charges related to how Ms. Meng may have participated in a scheme to trick financial institutions into making transactions that violated United States sanctions against Iran, they said.​

Huawei Executive Took Part in Sanctions Fraud, Prosecutors Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/technology/huawei-meng-wanzhou-fraud.html

At a bail hearing in Vancouver for Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of Huawei and a daughter of the company’s founder, Canadian prosecutors said she was accused of fraud. The heart of the charges related to how Ms. Meng may have participated in a scheme to trick financial institutions into making transactions that violated United States sanctions against Iran, they said.​

Yeah, so anyhow... I doubt the Chinese take too kindly to that arrest

You meant what you said, but what you said was stupid. Since no one came on here complaining that Trump did anything, there was no reason for you to pull out the Trump card in the first place.

Once again, you're arguing with liberal caricatures rather than those who actually, you know, exist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT