ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Risley

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
Someone posted a pod cast of Risley and Hartman but I never listened to it but from some of you it sounded like Risley wasn't happy when Archie and the program. When I heard Risley was going to be on the Kent sterling show I wanted to listen to see what he had to say. To my surprise he did not have very much hatred toward Archie at all and thought Archie will do fine at IU. All he said that he thought the team did not play with purpose or any enthusiasm for most of the game. He said they play hard for 18-22 minutes but needs to be able to do that for 40 minutes

Sterling asked him how long should the fans be patient with Archie and he said as long as it takes. He said people need to relax since he has only been here a 1.5 and it will take time for him to turn it around. Since I did not listen to the pod cast it was either he was toning it down for the local radio sow or some on here only here what they want to here.

The guy went on a one hour emotional rant and didn't let anyone else get more than 3 words in. For most of his rant, he made it sound as if the coaching staff was the problem. But then, right at the end, he said that Archie is the future of the program.

So who does he blame? I don't know. Every one and every thing, I guess.

He was right about one thing though... he made an ass of himself, and he probably won't ever be allowed on the show again.

The guy went on a one hour emotional rant and didn't let anyone else get more than 3 words in. For most of his rant, he made it sound as if the coaching staff was the problem. But then, right at the end, he said that Archie is the future of the program.

So who does he blame? I don't know. Every one and every thing, I guess.

He was right about one thing though... he made an ass of himself, and he probably won't ever be allowed on the show again.
Critizing Coaching Staff=Ass
Accepting situation= Not An Ass
Got it!

Risley was very passionate about the IU bball program and how it has been mishandled since BK was fired. He mentioned the poor coaching and the culture that seemed to be at rock bottom for some time now. He did point fingers at the current staff but seemed to allude to the fact CAM needs time to get his culture,system and players in place. He was sick and tired of the soft,emotionless players. He really went on a tirade.

Risley was very passionate about the IU bball program and how it has been mishandled since BK was fired. He mentioned the poor coaching and the culture that seemed to be at rock bottom for some time now. He did point fingers at the current staff but seemed to allude to the fact CAM needs time to get his culture,system and players in place. He was sick and tired of the soft,emotionless players. He really went on a tirade.
His many argument is that he doesn’t doubt Archie is coaching but for some reason players are not retaining and applying what they are taught.

Normally they have fun and let Risley rant but Collin was surly like I've never heard him before, especially when Risley started ranting.

Collin said it's mainly the players. Risley said bullshit. Collin said no coach ever coached him to have the mentality to dive on the floor for a loose ball. He always had it.

Risley said Knight did.

Collin and the hodt answered that Knight knew when he recruited you that you would and needed you to protect his stars (as a goon) and always recruited enforcers like Eyl and Hillman, etc.

Risley said Knight did drills. Collin listed a ton of the 50/50 ball and rebounding drills Arch does.

Risley said they aren't learning.

Collin said Morgan plays his ass off as does Durham.

Risley later said he's tired of being fed horse shit and said he wasn't sure if he'll be on the podcast anymore.

Dude loves IU, that's for sure but I was proud of Hartman standing his ground.

Reactions: brianiu and .Gerdis
Risley also said:
This team is as talented as any IU team in the last 15 years.

As a program IU basketball is now ... Morehead State (IIRC), or NU in B10

Early in the podcast he blamed Archie for this year, specifically not placing players in a position where they improve (or hide) on their weaknesses, and conversely placing players in a position where they play to their strengths.

His concern is not related to record, it is that we have never shown any improvement.

Later in the podcast he said that Archie is a good coach, but so was Crean, Davis and Sampson. He said the problem is systemic. He was pretty pissed. Saying the issues with the program go way beyond coaches or players. He cited the Knight firing and the effort by IU to turn their backs on everything at that point. He said that IU will be just another program until IU “gets over Bob Knight”.

Finally he mentioned that people over 45 are up in arms at what has happened to a once proud program , and people under 45 just don’t get it, as IU basketball doesn’t mean the same thing to those folks.

So I guess either Steve just toned it down for the local radio station or that he tempered that anger a little bit. I was expecting him to go off yesterday and go on a rant like DD has done on his show.

I am 48 and know what great IU basketball looks like but I can also see this is Archie's second year and we can't hold it against him for the other failures before him.

He said the problem is systemic. He was pretty pissed. Saying the issues with the program go way beyond coaches or players.

fred-photo-essay-01.jpg

So I guess either Steve just toned it down for the local radio station or that he tempered that anger a little bit. I was expecting him to go off yesterday and go on a rant like DD has done on his show.

I am 48 and know what great IU basketball looks like but I can also see this is Archie's second year and we can't hold it against him for the other failures before him.

Failures before him? You always told the board Tom Crean was a really good coach.

Reactions: Stellara1
What surprised me in yesterdays interview was when asked about leadership, Steve said eh would put Green in that leadership role. He said Green is the only one that places with some emotion and passion and maybe if put in a leadership role he would change this teams mindset. he said you would just have to live with his mistakes and move on.

What surprised me in yesterdays interview was when asked about leadership, Steve said eh would put Green in that leadership role. He said Green is the only one that places with some emotion and passion and maybe if put in a leadership role he would change this teams mindset. he said you would just have to live with his mistakes and move on.

Listen to the podcast.

Ask yourself this (Risely brought this up):

Why has Davis been successful after IU? Why was Crean successful before IU but not at IU? He thinks the problem is IU not the coaches.

He said Archie is a good coach, and the future of the program-because he is our current coach. If INDIANA doesn’t change their culture, Archie will be just another coach that succeeds prior to IU, is fired at IU and succeeds after IU (according to Risely).

He does not view IU as an elite program that has a good coach that just needs time. He views IU basketball as now just like any other program. The change has to come from above the coach. The entire culture of the university has to change or IU basketball will stay “the Northwestern of the Big ten”.

Listen to the podcast.

Why has Davis been successful after IU? Why was Crean successful before IU but not at IU? He thinks the problem is IU not the coaches.

He said Archie is a good coach, and the future of the program-because he is our current coach. If INDIANA doesn’t change their culture, Archie will be just another coach that succeeds prior to IU, is fired at IU and succeeds after IU (according to Risely).

He does not view IU as an elite program that has a good coach that just needs time. He views IU basketball as now just like any other program. The change has to come from above the coach. The entire culture of the university has to change or IU basketball will stay “the Northwestern of the Big ten”.
Once again I will use my poker analogy. Many pro's when they move up in stakes struggle, but when they drop back down to the lower limits they start to win and build their bankroll. Is it the pressure of the higher amounts of money or simply much better competition, personally I think it is the latter.

He wasn't ..

just to be clear, I wasn’t saying that he was. I was doing my best to paraphrase what Risley said. He said Crean is a good coach. If you have read any of my posts you would know that I would say something different.

He was very clear that he thinks of the coaches we have had since 2000, they have shown a tendency to perform better before and after IU than at IU.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Sampson was successful at IU and at Houston and at Oklahoma. Crean basically did at IU what he did at Marquette if you want to call that successful fine. Mike Davis was probably more successful at IU then Texas Southern if you consider runner-up in NCAA a success ( I do, but oh I know with Knight's players, blah, blah, blah)

Listen to the podcast.

that is such complete bs. you have a coach and you have players. if both are good you win; there is no conspiracy or hidden secret to winning. that's like saying if you put iu uniforms on duke they would suck just bc they play for iu. derr

Normally they have fun and let Risley rant but Collin was surly like I've never heard him before, especially when Risley started ranting.

Collin said it's mainly the players. Risley said bullshit. Collin said no coach ever coached him to have the mentality to dive on the floor for a loose ball. He always had it.

Risley said Knight did.

Collin and the hodt answered that Knight knew when he recruited you that you would and needed you to protect his stars (as a goon) and always recruited enforcers like Eyl and Hillman, etc.

Risley said Knight did drills. Collin listed a ton of the 50/50 ball and rebounding drills Arch does.

Risley said they aren't learning.

Collin said Morgan plays his ass off as does Durham.

Risley later said he's tired of being fed horse shit and said he wasn't sure if he'll be on the podcast anymore.

Dude loves IU, that's for sure but I was proud of Hartman standing his ground.
whoa. don't have time to listen so thanks for the details. on a side note, i wouldn't call hillman a goon. he was tough but not an enforcer type

Risley was a better football player that basketball player. Would have rather seen him in MS.

whoa. don't have time to listen so thanks for the details. on a side note, i wouldn't call hillman a goon. he was tough but not an enforcer type
Hillman was no goon for sure. At least not playing basketball for IU. The guy averaged over 40 points per game his senior year in high school. Pretty amazing for anybody to do that. Wasn't he a football star in high school? My memory seems to think so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT