ADVERTISEMENT

Stats for “The Debate”

there are too many people procreating that shouldn’t and too many that should who aren’t. By encouraging the former instead of fighting for the latter, you are a hypocrite.
Birth rates are declining in developed counties, not increasing. There are not too many people procreating.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Birth rates are declining in developed counties, not increasing. There are not too many people procreating.
Correct. There’s also a possibility that this change will result in less procreation. It’s all theory at this juncture but it’s worth considering.

Do you think some states will ban mailing those drugs into that state?
No.

I think the state laws at issue are against terminating life, not against preventing it.

For example, there are no states that ban “birth control pills” that prevent pregnancy, and the “day after” pills are barely different. They prevent what most folks call human life - heartbeat, brain activity, identifiable human physical features.

I can’t see a state successfully adopting the legal position that “all life begins at egg fertilization and can’t be interfered with in any way.”

SO BACK TO MY QUESTION - do you fear Indiana law enforcement seeking warrants to seek out and find women who are purchasing “day after” meds “just in case” they have unprotected sex and want to prevent a pregnancy, and by state action preventing that prevention? Or are we just imagining the extreme horribles?

Yes, overturning Roe (and attacking substantive due process) is a big legal deal.

But as a practical matter - a day-to-day living matter - I suspect that we can re-create a society where women who don’t want to get pregnant won’t, and if they do, and want a “day after” med, will be able to get one. And if that all fails, if they want an abortion, will be able to get one.

People break the speed limit. Some get tickets.

Boggs doesn’t outlaw abortion. It DOES now force the political discussion and political actions that Roe outlawed.

People are leaving California due to issues like taxation, radical environmental and social problem-solving laws. Maybe people will now flock to states based on abortion laws.

Democracy isn’t always pretty. But if a majority in a state like or dislike abortion, looks like they will now get their wish.

No.

I think the state laws at issue are against terminating life, not against preventing it.

For example, there are no states that ban “birth control pills” that prevent pregnancy, and the “day after” pills are barely different. They prevent what most folks call human life - heartbeat, brain activity, identifiable human physical features.

I can’t see a state successfully adopting the legal position that “all life begins at egg fertilization and can’t be interfered with in any way.”

SO BACK TO MY QUESTION - do you fear Indiana law enforcement seeking warrants to seek out and find women who are purchasing “day after” meds “just in case” they have unprotected sex and want to prevent a pregnancy, and by state action preventing that prevention? Or are we just imagining the extreme horribles?

Yes, overturning Roe (and attacking substantive due process) is a big legal deal.

But as a practical matter - a day-to-day living matter - I suspect that we can re-create a society where women who don’t want to get pregnant won’t, and if they do, and want a “day after” med, will be able to get one. And if that all fails, if they want an abortion, will be able to get one.

Boggs doesn’t outlaw abortion. It DOES now force the political discussion and political actions that Roe outlawed.

People are leaving California due to issues like taxation, radical environmental and social problem-solving laws. Maybe people will now flock to states based on abortion laws.

Democracy isn’t always pretty. But if a majority in a state like or dislike abortion, looks like they will now get their wish.
I hope you are right. We live in interesting times.

Look at you with the hard hitting facts.

Next look at birth rates by income quartile. That is the issue.

Look, it’s not my fault educated people don’t like f#ck and have babies. I did my part😊 I’ll be more clear. The notion that we should allow abortions to kill babies because there might be an increase in crime is dumb. I read the book. It wasn’t that profound.

Not to mention society has drastically changed the past 50 years when it comes to access to birth control and the education of it. A majority of women will still have access to abortions. There isn’t going to be an explosion in crime because there might be 200k more babies born each year. We allow poor uneducated immigrants into the country. Should I be scared of them?

Look, it’s not my fault educated people don’t like f#ck and have babies. I did my part😊 I’ll be more clear. The notion that we should allow abortions to kill babies because there might be an increase in crime is dumb. I read the book. It wasn’t that profound.

Not to mention society has drastically changed the past 50 years when it comes to access to birth control and the education of it. A majority of women will still have access to abortions. There isn’t going to be an explosion in crime because there might be 200k more babies born each year. We allow poor uneducated immigrants into the country. Should I be scared of them?

To be clear, educated people like to sex, but are increasingly less interested in the result. It's not a "might" be an increase in crime... crime is already elevated at the low income population. Those are the people least likely to use birth control, and most likely to raise criminals.

Poor, uneducated immigrants in this country are raised better in most cases than those in our inner-cities. You bring up a valid tweak, it's a socioeconomic problem (culture), not just an economic one.

Reactions: larsIU
Wow. Wow, wow, wow.

Abortion as crime and cost control, huh? Well, it's worked out so well so far with virtually unlimited abortion, right?

For a normally intelligent guy, you are WAY out in la-la land here.

I'm a fiscal conservative and pro choice. Why would I want a bunch of unwanted babies born? How does that help anyone? Republicans cheering this ruling are going to discover that it's the worst thing that's happened to the party in 50 years...except for Trump, I mean.

To be clear, educated people like to sex, but are increasingly less interested in the result. It's not a "might" be an increase in crime... crime is already elevated at the low income population. Those are the people least likely to use birth control, and most likely to raise criminals.

Poor, uneducated immigrants in this country are raised better in most cases than those in our inner-cities. You bring up a valid tweak, it's a socioeconomic problem (culture), not just an economic one.
I was being glib on the first part. I was just too dumb to pull out. Luckily, the third one looks just like me.

We’re just going to continue to talk past each other. I’m ok with an increase in crime if the alternative is aborting humans. I think it’s a culture issue. The reality is most poor people don’t commit crimes. I grew up poor and was one of those people.

Arkansas may be the first to test it

The law also known as The Arkansas Human Life Protection Act bans all abortions except so save a mother's life in an emergency medical situation, it does not include exceptions for rape or incest victims. It also bans over the counter medications such as Plan B, the morning-after pill.

Why not restrict 2A rights by race as certain races are more likely to commit violence? Right?

Because it isn't a racial issue as much as it a cultural and socioeconomic one. Also, how would that ever work from a legal verbiage standpoint?

Because it isn't a racial issue as much as it a cultural and socioeconomic one. Also, how would that ever work from a legal verbiage standpoint?
Abortion isn't in the Constitution. States can now do as they please as they always should've been.

Reactions: DANC
A daily occurance in cancer centers: a barely pregnant woman presents with an aggressive malignant tumor. To live she requires surgery, radiation and chemotherapy, all that she can't get while pregnant.

Now, it seems, her survival depends on what state she's in. Her malignancy would not meet most state's definition of a condition posing an immediate/ emergency threat to her life.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
this is why I can’t stand republicans. They know crime costs, welfare costs, etc are going to rise. You can’t be a fiscal conservative and support a ban on abortion. Period.
You can if you think a fetus=a baby or something close to it.

Fiscal conservatives need not believe in killing off the elderly to save costs, either, I don’t think.

(insert Logan’s Run meme here)

Do you think Indiana law enforcement is going to go out and seek warrants to search homes for “day after” meds?
All of law enforcement, some of law enforcement, or some small subset of law enforcement that believes that the Plan B pill is not "meds" and is abortion?

As noted, a law is already being proposed to specifically make the Plan B pill illegal, lumping it in with abortion regulation, so somebody is certainly thinking about enforcing that law. Do you think that law enforcement is not going to go out and seek warrants and search locations where abortions are taking place?

Fiscal conservatives need not believe in killing off the elderly to save costs, either, I don’t think.

good point, focusing on the elderly is a horrible ROI.

Reactions: UncleMark
Soylent Green is people.

I watched it at your recommendation

giphy.gif

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
What about when a very red state like Missouri puts a law on the books that it’s illegal to sell or purchase Plan B pills via the mail? Or most stringent, you cannot possess Plan B pills in the state of Missouri regardless of where they were purchased.

I think it’s very short sided to think that the forces that brought down Roe will stop there, contented. They have a SC that will fight their moral values. Plus they will feel that they are the power center in the GOP. This was a monumental win for social issue conservatives. Good luck trying to control their ambitions going forward.
Have your physician write a prescription for Ovral. It will work as well as Plan B. 5 doses in 1 pack.

A daily occurance in cancer centers: a barely pregnant woman presents with an aggressive malignant tumor. To live she requires surgery, radiation and chemotherapy, all that she can't get while pregnant.

Now, it seems, her survival depends on what state she's in. Her malignancy would not meet most state's definition of a condition posing an immediate/ emergency threat to her life.
She is going to get the treatment that the physician and patient decide is best for her cancer diagnosis.
Insurance notwithstanding

She is going to get the treatment that the physician and patient decide is best for her cancer diagnosis.
Insurance notwithstanding
Physicians are already discussing that this type of decision will have to wait until/unless it gets approved by a non-medical review panel for compliance with state law

Physicians are already discussing that this type of decision will have to wait until/unless it gets approved by a non-medical review panel for compliance with state law
On what grounds?
Treatment of cancer always comes with risks to patient…that includes pregnant patient.

The patient is not at risk of immediate death, so an abortion to permit treatment cancer treatment to begin may not be possible, in that state
I don’t see the difference here.
Just give the treatment that the patient has requested. Best case scenario is the baby is fine. Worst case is the same as an abortion. What am I missing?

I don’t see the difference here.
Just give the treatment that the patient has requested. Best case scenario is the baby is fine. Worst case is the same as an abortion. What am I missing?
a murder rap? chemo kills the fetus, and they knew it would happen

I'm a fiscal conservative and pro choice. Why would I want a bunch of unwanted babies born? How does that help anyone? Republicans cheering this ruling are going to discover that it's the worst thing that's happened to the party in 50 years...except for Trump, I mean.
So you don't want the untermenschen breeding. Got it.

Is that what you've read on Twitter? 🤣

Trivia test. No points for cheating.

Who played the Holly 13 role in Logan’s Run?

a murder rap? chemo kills the fetus, and they knew it would happen
I’m sure there are agreements than can be entered into where the mother accepts the risk to the child. Have CoH write up the document.

Could the physician decide not to go down that route…absolutely.

Could the physician decide not to go down that route…absolutely.
So... you agree that the physician could refuse to deliver the care option that is MOST LIKELY to save the mother's life

I think you might see one of the issues

So... you agree that the physician could refuse to deliver the care option that is MOST LIKELY to save the mother's life

I think you might see one of the issues
Missouri is banning abortions but will allow them for medical emergencies to the mother. I suspect this will be common

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT