ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium wide alcohol sales

stripetology

Junior
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, been discussed but with PU releasing news over half a million in new revenue from stadium wide alcohol sales in 1st year (6games w/ IU one being best take), it begs the question how long it will take IU to do what has now been discussed for several years. Seems with a new enclosure and 7 home games it’s a perfect year to do it for football and basketball. PU only announced it a couple months before the season. Any recent developments on IU end? I did like how PU launched a specially named beer w/ a local brewery. Seems win/win.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Yes, been discussed but with PU releasing news over half a million in new revenue from stadium wide alcohol sales in 1st year (6games w/ IU one being best take), it begs the question how long it will take IU to do what has now been discussed for several years. Seems with a new enclosure and 7 home games it’s a perfect year to do it for football and basketball. PU only announced it a couple months before the season. Any recent developments on IU end? I did like how PU launched a specially named beer w/ a local brewery. Seems win/win.

Hate to say anything good about them but the "special" microbrewery beer was a smart move. One of those little detail moves I keep harping on...

I was in the past against any alcohol sales but the reality struck me that a serious drunk is going to find a way to be a "serious drunk" no matter the degree of normal security (short of an X-ray or strip search)... Had one at the pu game up above us who caused several people problems (pu fan of course)... Same deal with several Ohio State fans... Have seen our logo besmirched with the same type of obnoxious behavior on occasion.

Given the above reality I came to the conclusion (personally) that it would probably be best to lure them inside and let them see if they can actually get drunk on 5 beers over 4 hours...

First, if I'm making the decisions I'm only selling "craft" beers for 10 bucks each. Then I'm also selling a "beer bracelet" for $20 with a tail on it with the numbers 1-5... 1-3 prior to halftime, then 3&4 after halftime... You buy that at a Will Call window prior to entry...

I've never personally seen anyone get really seriously drunk on "craft" beer probably since few try to chug or guzzle an expensive, decent beer (not saying it hasn't or won't happen, just that there would be less of that sort of approach).

So to sum up, my new mantra is "let them enjoy a few beers but cut em off at 5 and make em pay for the privilege".

Go ahead and flame away...;):D

Last edited:
Five is a lot for people who are going to leave the game and drive.

My thought is that you ration them to 3 prior to halftime, then 2 after halftime. Also your body metabolises approximately 1 per hour so unless they chug their last two during the last 30 seconds of the 4th quarter I don't think their being at .08 is a serious concern.

I'd trust those 5 beer imbibers more than I trust our current tailgate crowd on the road home... Some of those folk are knocking it back all day and into the evening...

Finally, I doubt many would drink the full 5... 3 is a more likely average number. Those "craft" beers really fill you up.

5 is just the number I felt would be necessary to impart a feeling of "freedom of choice" as to how many they might "feel" like drinking without also incurring liability on the part of the University... (You would have them sign a waiver when they bought their bracelet)...

I think the #6 is where you'd have to start worrying about drunk drivers...

I also edited the cost above up to $10 per beer and $20 per beer bracelet. The $20 would all go to the football program as would $5 plus of each beer sold... Should be a money maker and fill a niche customer desire..., and maybe even pull inside some of those drink all day tailgaters and slow them down a little... A win/win: we gain fans in the stands and have fewer completely blasted drivers out on SR37 / I69...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
There are already some solid craft offerings they could use including Kirkwood and 10 speed from BBC as well as Big Wood's Tenth and Indiana Amber. The decision is inevitable but I hate to see it happen.

Reactions: 76-1
My thought is that you ration them to 3 prior to halftime, then 2 after halftime. Also your body metabolises approximately 1 per hour so unless they chug their last two during the last 30 seconds of the 4th quarter I don't think their being at .08 is a serious concern.

I'd trust those 5 beer imbibers more than I trust our current tailgate crowd on the road home... Some of those folk are knocking it back all day and into the evening...

Finally, I doubt many would drink the full 5... 3 is a more likely average number. Those "craft" beers really fill you up.

5 is just the number I felt would be necessary to impart a feeling of "freedom of choice" as to how many they might "feel" like drinking without also incurring liability on the part of the University... (You would have them sign a waiver when they bought their bracelet)...

I think the #6 is where you'd have to start worrying about drunk drivers...

I also edited the cost above up to $10 per beer and $20 per beer bracelet. The $20 would all go to the football program as would $5 plus of each beer sold... Should be a money maker and fill a niche customer desire..., and maybe even pull inside some of those drink all day tailgaters and slow them down a little... A win/win: we gain fans in the stands and have fewer completely blasted drivers out on SR37 / I69...
Why not let those of legal age determine how much beer they want to drink, while restricting sales after a certain point in the game (last call at the end of the third quarter)? As an accommodation, maybe IU can have a "dry" section where alcohol is prohibited. Or maybe sales can be restricted to the concourse only (no roving vendors). But why not let adults make their own choices, rather than you making choices for them?

Why not let those of legal age determine how much beer they want to drink, while restricting sales after a certain point in the game (last call at the end of the third quarter)? As an accommodation, maybe IU can have a "dry" section where alcohol is prohibited. Or maybe sales can be restricted to the concourse only (no roving vendors). But why not let adults make their own choices, rather than you making choices for them?
Simple, sometimes even adults make poor choices and no one, myself included, wants to sit next to a drunk or multiple drunks. Been there done that, no thanks on a repeat performance...

They already have gone with a restricted area for drinking for next season. That was in a thread somewhere south of this one about that a few days back.

We are talking about how to have stadium wide beer availability without irritating those seated around you who chose not to drink; therefore, some form of limitation is in order...
If they chose to get plowed, they still have the "right" not to come inside the stadium...

There's also potential University liability to be considered and if the University has made a good faith effort to limit the amount of alcohol available to something less than that that would cause the "average" person to become inebriated than I would think that their liability would be somewhat limited.

Last call at the end of the third or first 10 minutes of the 4th seems like a very good idea too..., along with island areas forever off limits to drinking (family zones?). Both good ideas, but should we let you chose for them?;)

In this case, since it's a University owned venue I'm betting that IU will always be the entity making all the decisions..., so don't worry, I doubt Fred will consult with me... I'm still waiting for his call on what we can replace that Italian Lullaby with...

Last edited:
Simple, sometimes even adults make poor choices and no one, myself included, wants to sit next to a drunk or multiple drunks. Been there done that, no thanks on a repeat performance...

They already have gone with a restricted area for drinking for next season. That was in a thread somewhere south of this one about that a few days back.

We are talking about how to have stadium wide beer availability without irritating those seated around you who chose not to drink; therefore, some form of limitation is in order...
If they chose to get plowed, they still have the "right" not to come inside the stadium...
Increased security paid for by alcohol sales can effectively knock down problems like those you're describing. The fact is the tailgating scene at IU already enables people to drink liberally within an easy walk of the stadium, and the pass out policy, which is rare in high school, college or pro stadiums, provides an easy opportunity to replenish. In stadium sales aren't likely to make things "worse" than they already are. Adults are capable of deciding these things for themselves, and security can deal with the small fraction who cannot.

Reactions: MrBing
Increased security paid for by alcohol sales can effectively knock down problems like those you're describing. The fact is the tailgating scene at IU already enables people to drink liberally within an easy walk of the stadium, and the pass out policy, which is rare in high school, college or pro stadiums, provides an easy opportunity to replenish. In stadium sales aren't likely to make things "worse" than they already are. Adults are capable of deciding these things for themselves, and security can deal with the small fraction who cannot.

We already have plenty of security. It's been my experience that no one ever calls them until things have escalated to a near, or at, a state of "out of control". Why should anyone have to put up with that kind of c..p just to soothe your libertarian sensibilities?

Last edited:
We already have plenty of security. It's been my experience that no one ever calls them until things has escalated to a near, or at, a state of "out of control". Why should anyone have to put up with that kind of c..p just to soothe your libertarian sensibilities?
Then isn't that the fault of the patrons who choose to not do anything about those who are misbehaving? Why blame a tiny fraction of the fan base and make policy predicated on the alleged actions of a very, very few? In spite of the tailgate atmosphere that is so easily accessed at IU, the crowds are overwhelmingly well behaved. There's nothing to suggest that in stadium beer sales will change that in any meaningful way.

How silly of you. Obviously you don’t understand that some people dont drink, some people think alcohol is bad and some people think that anyone who drinks the devil’s urine is going to hell. And some people want to determine what other people can do in their life. And some people belive If they are inconvenienced by 1 drunk person - everyone - who drinks alcohol should be regulated like they are 3 years old. How dare anyone should be able to drink 5 beers over a 3+ hour college game and have someone else drive them home, after waiting an hour for the parking lot to clear out. The whole alcohol thing in Indiana is a pathetic joke...If you wanna have some real fun, bring up what time zone Indiana should be in or god forbid changing your clock twice a year to maximize daylight for the majority of the population. Before people start getting their pitch forks, let me go get some popcorn...and a water to drink.

Relax guys. Fred's already decided how to approach this and it's clear there will be segregated areas for alcohol.

My idea was simply that: an idea. The chances of the Athletic Department listening to me are slim to none...

Like I said if anyone in the AD's office read anything I typed we'd have a 15 second portion of the Theme to Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ("Takeaways"..., get it ?) replacing that pathetic Italian lullaby by now... Hasn't happened yet has it...??

Check out the sound from time stamp 1:05 to 1:20 (right side time stamp)

Last edited:
Problem with segregated area is I like my seats. Earned them. Want to watch and enjoy game from them. Not moving to select end zone area just to drink. Seems like unnecessary “steps” to what should be easy solution. Not sure why IU has to complicate up something very common around the country.

Who stinking cares? Excuse me...but this is the wrong kind of money. Why not gambling and prostitution too? All the same thing.

Relax guys. Fred's already decided how to approach this and it's clear there will be segregated areas for alcohol.

My idea was simply that: an idea. The chances of the Athletic Department listening to me are slim to none...

Like I said if anyone in the AD's office read anything I typed we've have a 15 second portion of the Theme to Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ("Takeaways"..., get it ?) replacing that pathetic Italian lullaby by now... Hasn't happened yet has it...??

Check out the sound from time stamp 1:05 to 1:20 (right side time stamp)
This may be the worst idea within a bad idea...not only wont this work...its a very very bad precedent all the way around. Why do drinkers always think they can drink without annoying everyone around them? Great environment for kids eh?? Gonna segregate the bathrooms too? The isles? From non drinkers...from kids? Liquor sales means no more visits to the stadium for my family. Same reason I don't go to Colts games. Drinking is not a personal right...because it infringes on the rights of everyone around them. Drink at home...it should not be allowed anywhere on school grounds.

Who stinking cares? Excuse me...but this is the wrong kind of money. Why not gambling and prostitution too? All the same thing.

This may be the worst idea within a bad idea...not only wont this work...its a very very bad precedent all the way around. Why do drinkers always think they can drink without annoying everyone around them? Great environment for kids eh?? Gonna segregate the bathrooms too? The isles? From non drinkers...from kids? Liquor sales means no more visits to the stadium for my family. Same reason I don't go to Colts games. Drinking is not a personal right...because it infringes on the rights of everyone around them. Drink at home...it should not be allowed anywhere on school grounds.

Hyperbole much??!! Equating enjoying a beer with gambling and prostitution. Give me a break.

How is watching an IU football game while enjoying a cold one, infringing on the rights of everyone around them??? Maybe they should ban Coke too since it is high in sugar and someone might get hyper!

I went out to dinner last night and my friend and my lady both had a beer with dinner. I guess I should have been offended. Who knew!!

Reactions: 76-1 and RBB89
Hyperbole much??!! Equating enjoying a beer with gambling and prostitution. Give me a break.

How is watching an IU football game while enjoying a cold one, infringing on the rights of everyone around them??? Maybe they should ban Coke too since it is high in sugar and someone might get hyper!

I went out to dinner last night and my friend and my lady both had a beer with dinner. I guess I should have been offended. Who knew!!
Drinkers are "never" offended by other drinkers...because the fickle finger of fate points right back at them. Drinking doesn't offend anyone...try a bottle of water vbg...but a drunk offends everyone. You telling me you can drink booze without getting "buzzed"? If you can, you need to sell your genes to science. And yes buzzed and drunk people are very very annoying. What message does it send to kids? Have some? Think about it...

Wow, I'm out of the loop. Had no idea PU started selling alcohol. Well, it is only a matter of time before we do it.....so might as well just start doing it and making money off of it. All of the discussion can be whatever, but the bottom line is our athletic dept is not going to want to fall behind them by half a million just because some of the uptight people are pretty vocal.

And tbh, it isn't going to affect the drunks much. Those guys will be pounding the cheap beers at the tailgates.....i really don't see them (at least 90% of them) spending $100 on beer in the stadium. And besides.....if they do, well better to make $100 off of them drinking 10 beers than having them leave the stadium and chug 10 beers at the car. Because no matter what you do, those guys are going to drink their 10 beers.....

The money we would make from this laughs in the face of your threat of not attending games.

I rarely drink. I get annoyed by drunks. Even I think your posts on this are silly. You seriously don’t think people are trashed in the stadium now as it is?

School grounds? What planet are you from? People drink all around campus. Fred Glass routinely has beer when he’s being driven around on his golf cart on gameday.

And gambling? Are you a Quaker or something? Chill out.

The money we would make from this laughs in the face of your threat of not attending games.

I rarely drink. I get annoyed by drunks. Even I think your posts on this are silly. You seriously don’t think people are trashed in the stadium now as it is?

School grounds? What planet are you from? People drink all around campus. Fred Glass routinely has beer when he’s being driven around on his golf cart on gameday.

Fred often has a Coors Light in the PopeMobile.

Drunks annoy me, I wish everyone was as cool as I am when I Drink at games.

Wow, I'm out of the loop. Had no idea PU started selling alcohol. Well, it is only a matter of time before we do it.....so might as well just start doing it and making money off of it. All of the discussion can be whatever, but the bottom line is our athletic dept is not going to want to fall behind them by half a million just because some of the uptight people are pretty vocal.

And tbh, it isn't going to affect the drunks much. Those guys will be pounding the cheap beers at the tailgates.....i really don't see them (at least 90% of them) spending $100 on beer in the stadium. And besides.....if they do, well better to make $100 off of them drinking 10 beers than having them leave the stadium and chug 10 beers at the car. Because no matter what you do, those guys are going to drink their 10 beers.....

They ran out of beer before halftime of the bucket game. I think the IU fans drank it all after the first play.

Drinkers are "never" offended by other drinkers...because the fickle finger of fate points right back at them. Drinking doesn't offend anyone...try a bottle of water vbg...but a drunk offends everyone. You telling me you can drink booze without getting "buzzed"? If you can, you need to sell your genes to science. And yes buzzed and drunk people are very very annoying. What message does it send to kids? Have some? Think about it...
Young people are gonna have it anyways. I guarantee you there are plenty of drinkers at the game that have stashed booze you probably just don't realize it. Just because you have a couple beers doesn't give you the right to act like a jerk. You never go to a baseball game and get a hotdog and a beer? There is nothing wrong with that. Drunks and belligerent people should be removed but having a couple beers and enjoying a Saturday afternoon game is harmless. jmho

People are getting blitzed in the tailgates and have been sneaking flasks of stuff in for years, so there's probably going to be less drunks in the stadium after allowing responsible alcohol sales in the whole stadium (instead of just the fat cat seats).

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I kinda like the bookies and hookers idea. Cutting edge stuff... ;):D

Like I was saying..., we could put the bookies (IU gets a % of the "vig" and the inside scoop on which ref(s) are going to screw us ahead of time);)in the North end zone lobby and perhaps just have the University hire the hookers in mass and stage them in whichever end zone the opposing team is headed towards that half, "discreetly" flashing the opposition whenever they're inside our 20 yard line (as first seen in The Replacements)... We couldn't actually have them plying their wares around the stadium but we could keep em off the streets and in the end zones instead..;);)

Great Idea IU Col !!;):D;)

Before anyone totally blows a gasket: This is my idea of low humor...

Last edited:
Reactions: 82IU and vesuvius13

Like I was saying..., we could put the bookies in the North end zone lobby and perhaps just have the University hire the hookers and stage them in whichever end zone the opposing team is headed towards that half, "discreetly" flashing the opposition whenever they're inside our 20 yard line (as first seen in The Replacements)... We couldn't actually have them plying their wares around the stadium but we could keep em off the streets and in the end zones instead..;);)

76-1, if we are going to do that, we better get ahead of the curve and start reserving days. Maybe a call to U of L for recommendations? Relax folks, it's a joke or an attempt at one.

Well, I am not a "drinker", I had water and I was not offended IN THE LEAST but my friend and lady having a beer with dinner. And NO, neither was buzzed after one beer. No, gene selling needed.

would they be able to put a jumbotron behind the sections...without a flagpole in the middle

I'm fairly certain I've had worse ideas...:D
They usually started with the phrase: "watch this"...;)

That can’t be possible can it? If the University has more money to spend (I.e. from alcohol sales) they will spend it on more security .... doesn’t that mean more jobs? That can’t be.... I thought the University would keep those crumbs for themselves?

I think 76-1 has some good ideas that are mainly focused on ensuring the game environment for the fans is not compromised by alcohol consumption. I just think if someone wants to get drunk and obnoxious they will find a way. I don’t think we should be afraid of this.

Like I was saying..., we could put the bookies (IU gets a % of the "vig" and the inside scoop on which ref(s) are going to screw us ahead of time);)in the North end zone lobby and perhaps just have the University hire the hookers in mass and stage them in whichever end zone the opposing team is headed towards that half, "discreetly" flashing the opposition whenever they're inside our 20 yard line (as first seen in The Replacements)... We couldn't actually have them plying their wares around the stadium but we could keep em off the streets and in the end zones instead..;);)

Before anyone totally blows a gasket: This is my idea of low humor...

I can’t wait for the new prize after the HR Derby on the big screen..... we already have a “Kiss Cam” so maybe we could have a “John Cam”? .....

Look, nothing personal...but its obvious many of you guys really don't know how this will change the game day environment. It will and it will drive people like my family away...far away. You are naïve.

Look, nothing personal...but its obvious many of you guys really don't know how this will change the game day environment. It will and it will drive people like my family away...far away. You are naïve.
Obvious? Of course you are entitled to opinion but I think proof from many other programs who have successfully implemented policies give a pretty good idea of what to expect

Obviously respect your feelings on this and I would prefer not to have alcohol sold inside, but at the price they will sell it for fans won't drink as many as they do already in the lots. Many of the fans around you today have been drinking as much as they will when beer is available.

Reactions: IUCol and RBB89
Obviously respect your feelings on this and I would prefer not to have alcohol sold inside, but at the price they will sell it for fans won't drink as many as they do already in the lots. Many of the fans around you today have been drinking as much as they will when beer is available.
Why do you think the fans won't drink at least the same amount of liquor or beer outside the stadium and then add a couple of higher priced hits to that once they come inside? Second question: what about restricting actual consumption inside the stadium to the public areas rather than permitting it in the seating areas?

Any chance you'll actually post something related to IU football anytime soon? It's been nothing but days of drivel from you.
I figured the usual suspects would come out of hiding. Please tell us why you and the two others have your privacy set on hidden? That smells like multiple accounts to me.

To answer your question, I already did the other day. It got deleted for unknown reasons, so you'll have to inquire to some higher ups on that one. I don't normally ever comment on recruits, especially having never seen them play and that seems to be what most of the topics have been about. And I've been basically neutral on all the other topics so I don't get involved there either.

But what I will get involved with, is the basic no toleration of any other outlook, and the so called person in the wrong is basically shunned and run out of town. I believe there is always more than one way to look at things and more than one view is correct. And I will voice my opinion on that matter when I see fit.

Reactions: staytuned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT