ADVERTISEMENT

Random KP thoughts (I know it’s too early)

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
I know, KenPom is pretty meaningless right now.

Here are some random thoughts.

Take a look a MI and Maryland. Both rated similarly in the 50s, but Michigan looking like they should be that team from Iowa City (offense looks good, defense not so). Maryland is a mirror image (terrible offense, D looks much better). At least MI has a better SOS.

Not a surprise but KP reinforces that the race for second in the B10 is wide open. Is there a team outside PUke worthy of a top 25 ranking? Should be an interesting conference season.

Anyone catch the luck factor for IU? 10th. That shouldn’t surprise anyone as we’ve been in (and won) all the close games. I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, as learning to win is a skill and with all the new faces that’s been the biggest positive of the young season so far. It hasn’t been pretty, but a single digit back and forth game can be more beneficial that a blowout.

Time for more coffee. Nothing like starting a thread on ratings that are too early to analyze, plus I am boring myself.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I know, KenPom is pretty meaningless right now.

Here are some random thoughts.

Take a look a MI and Maryland. Both rated similarly in the 50s, but Michigan looking like they should be that team from Iowa City (offense looks good, defense not so). Maryland is a mirror image (terrible offense, D looks much better). At least MI has a better SOS.

Not a surprise but KP reinforces that the race for second in the B10 is wide open. Is there a team outside PUke worthy of a top 25 ranking? Should be an interesting conference season.

Anyone catch the luck factor for IU? 10th. That shouldn’t surprise anyone as we’ve been in (and won) all the close games. I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, as learning to win is a skill and with all the new faces that’s been the biggest positive of the young season so far. It hasn’t been pretty, but a single digit back and forth game can be more beneficial that a blowout.

Time for more coffee. Nothing like starting a thread on ratings that are too early to analyze, plus I am boring myself.

I'm still concerned with what we're looking like offensively and defensively in these games. But one of the bright spots is Woody and the team are figuring things out well enough to win games. Basically in all 5 of our wins, the games well in the 2nd half could have went either way. IU made the adjustments and plays to win those games. Hopefully we continue to improve our overall play on offense and defense, so we can be in most/nearly all of our remaining games...as it appears this group has a knack for closing out games and getting wins when they're within reach.

Obviously, we'll also need to see them do it against better teams too. The 5 wins we have so far are against 5 of the worst teams on our schedule, in all likelihood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT