ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back at KP and our seeds

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
Lots of things that people can use to debate how good a team is. Certainly the seed that a team gets is at least somewhat close to showing the type of season one had. KenPom may not be the best indicator, but final KP rating is at least a discussion point.

We are a few days away from mid January, so the excuse that KP is meaningless until Mid January will soon fall flat. I was curious: how bad has this team been?

Currently IU is 92nd.

Year/final KP/seed

22-23. 30. 4 seed
21-22. 48. 12 seed
20-21. 50. N/a
19-20. 34. 10***
18-19. 52. NIT
17-18. 71. N/a
16-17. 44. NIT
15-16. 11. 5 seed
14-15. 48. 10 seed
13-14. 63. N/a

***(as projected by Bracket matrix, no tourney)

It’s not the end all, be all, but looking at the above we are significantly lower than any other season in the preceding ten seasons. Looks to me like we need to move up 50 or so spots, and we could still be a bubble team. Lots of work to do, should be interesting to see how we finish.

Reactions: BigMobe
Lots of things that people can use to debate how good a team is. Certainly the seed that a team gets is at least somewhat close to showing the type of season one had. KenPom may not be the best indicator, but final KP rating is at least a discussion point.

We are a few days away from mid January, so the excuse that KP is meaningless until Mid January will soon fall flat. I was curious: how bad has this team been?

Currently IU is 92nd.

Year/final KP/seed

22-23. 30. 4 seed
21-22. 48. 12 seed
20-21. 50. N/a
19-20. 34. 10***
18-19. 52. NIT
17-18. 71. N/a
16-17. 44. NIT
15-16. 11. 5 seed
14-15. 48. 10 seed
13-14. 63. N/a

It’s not the end all, be all, but looking at the above we are significantly lower than any other season in the preceding ten seasons. Looks to me like we need to move up 50 or so spots, and we could still be a bubble team. Lots of work to do, should be interesting to see how we finish.
jfc is the IU administration absolutely terrible. Most of us all know why though...

Currently IU is 92nd.

Year/final KP/seed

22-23. 30. 4 seed
21-22. 48. 12 seed
20-21. 50. N/a
19-20. 34. 10***
18-19. 52. NIT
17-18. 71. N/a
16-17. 44. NIT
15-16. 11. 5 seed
14-15. 48. 10 seed
13-14. 63. N/a

It will all come down to how we play against Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, at OSU, and then MSU at the end of the season...maybe even the Nebraska game at home now. That'll be 7-8 quad 1 level games.

If we win more of those than we lose...and mostly take care of business in the other games and finish above .500 in the conference...our KP will probably rise up to top 50 levels, and we'll be an NCAA consideration.

If we don't win many of those games, really won't matter what we do in the other ones. Our NET will rise a little most likely, just from playing those teams. But not enough for us to get serious NCAA consideration...especially if we keep getting thumped in those Quad 1 level games.

That's the longer answer...

Short answer is we aren't a good basketball team, and the KP is reflecting that.

Tournament...
It'll take divine intervention for this team to make it..
I'll go no tournament this yr..Mass portal exit .
No tournament next yr.
Woodson fired ...That's where all this is going..imo
I'd be astonished if Woodson is fired after this season, regardless of game record, tournament seed or appearance. On the hot seat? Maybe. But I expect he'll retire here, won't be more than a few more years regardless, he's closing in on 70.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT