ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium wide alcohol sales

Why do you think the fans won't drink at least the same amount of liquor or beer outside the stadium and then add a couple of higher priced hits to that once they come inside? Second question: what about restricting actual consumption inside the stadium to the public areas rather than permitting it in the seating areas?

There will be all types of reactions and situations but I suspect some won't feel the need to cram three more down on the walk up because they know they can get beer inside. Once inside the line and $8 a throw may limit the consumption. A designated drinking spot outside of the stands seems like the smoking area outside the office door. Who knows.

There will be all types of reactions and situations but I suspect some won't feel the need to cram three more down on the walk up because they know they can get beer inside. Once inside the line and $8 a throw may limit the consumption. A designated drinking spot outside of the stands seems like the smoking area outside the office door. Who knows.
I agree with your observation as to "who knows?"

Why do you think the fans won't drink at least the same amount of liquor or beer outside the stadium and then add a couple of higher priced hits to that once they come inside? Second question: what about restricting actual consumption inside the stadium to the public areas rather than permitting it in the seating areas?

Well personally I'm nervous about accidentally spilling a coke on someone in the tight quarters that are our bleacher seats. I figure if it ever happens I'll have the ultra bad luck of dumping it on some plus size babe who'll proceed to totally embarrass me while I grit my teeth and remind myself that I don't strike females...:confused:;)

Fairly certain I'd be extra careful with a $10 Craft beer though, so I guess that fear is allayed ;):D

Now I think we'd best wait on the red wine sales however...:D

This may be the worst idea within a bad idea...not only wont this work...its a very very bad precedent all the way around. Why do drinkers always think they can drink without annoying everyone around them? Great environment for kids eh?? Gonna segregate the bathrooms too? The isles? From non drinkers...from kids? Liquor sales means no more visits to the stadium for my family. Same reason I don't go to Colts games. Drinking is not a personal right...because it infringes on the rights of everyone around them. Drink at home...it should not be allowed anywhere on school grounds.

Holy shit. Enjoy your Saturdays at home. Sounds like Bloomington and the IU campus will turn into Sodom and Gomorrah.

Man, we've had beer sales at CU-Boulder - one of the traditionally biggest party schools in the country for a few years and I haven't seen anything like what you've apparently seen at Colts game at Folsom Field. They have designated beer gardens and some expensive reserved seats with seat service so it all stays very controlled. Prostitution and gambling are the same thing? Not close really.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBB89
Well here's how things worked out at that smelly school up N:

http://wishtv.com/2018/02/17/beer-wine-sales-at-purdue-football-games-top-500000/

Now they have a distinct advantage in that sitting next to a sober a.h. (their avg. fan) Isn't much different then sitting next to a drunk one so they do have a clear edge there but the money being brought in is nothing to sniff at...;)
Minnesota has decided to advertise beer
by putting a beer bottle on their new helmets
to increase sales.
back-of-maroon-helmet.jpg

Hyperbole much??!! Equating enjoying a beer with gambling and prostitution. Give me a break.

How is watching an IU football game while enjoying a cold one, infringing on the rights of everyone around them??? Maybe they should ban Coke too since it is high in sugar and someone might get hyper!

I went out to dinner last night and my friend and my lady both had a beer with dinner. I guess I should have been offended. Who knew!!
Drinkers are "never" offended by other drinkers...because the fickle finger of fate points right back at them. Drinking doesn't offend anyone...try a bottle of water vbg...but a drunk offends everyone. You telling me you can drink booze without getting "buzzed"? If you can, you need to sell your genes to science. And yes buzzed and drunk people are very very annoying. What message does it send to kids? Have some? Think about it...
Hey! One second, Buddy. I happen to know for a fact that I am a highly enjoyable drunk for those both imbibing and those not. I resent the stereotype.

Seriously though, I don’t go to many games with alcohol sales, but with the exception of an NFL game where I saw an entire section ejected, I can’t recall much annoying behavior. Even rock concerts—99% of the crowd is well behaved and usually aid in the expulsion of troublemakers.

Am I missing a major trend—do college football crowds just lose it after a few beers?

Reactions: 76-1
Hey! One second, Buddy. I happen to know for a fact that I am a highly enjoyable drunk for those both imbibing and those not. I resent the stereotype.

Seriously though, I don’t go to many games with alcohol sales, but with the exception of an NFL game where I saw an entire section ejected, I can’t recall much annoying behavior. Even rock concerts—99% of the crowd is well behaved and usually aid in the expulsion of troublemakers.

Am I missing a major trend—do college football crowds just lose it after a few beers?
Louisville's stadium has a horrendous atmosphere and it's basically one giant drunken party, but I've been to other stadiums where there's alcohol, and it's nothing like that.

Alcohol sales in the stadium is a likely precursor to ending pass out privileges for attendees which, from a security standpoint alone, is long past due.

Alcohol sales in the stadium is a likely precursor to ending pass out privileges for attendees which, from a security standpoint alone, is long past due.

i've never understood the obsession with some here regarding ending pass outs.

if you don't want to leave and come back, don't..

Look, nothing personal...but its obvious many of you guys really don't know how this will change the game day environment. It will and it will drive people like my family away...far away. You are naïve.
I used to go to games at Folsom Field back in the day when they served alcohol. It was fine and everyone had a good time...Then they quit serving. I remember going and sitting where every old fart on the planet sat on the west side of the stadium. We all snuck in boda bags of Captain Morgans and it was cold out. By the end of the game everyone was yelling "Pass the Captain". That was a memory I'll never forget! Why the angst? AGAIN if someone is out of control say something. BUT IU needs every tool and prop it can gain at this point to get people to the games and keep them in the seats. If alcohol helps then good.

Its nice that you and your family support the team and sit until the end of each game. You along with the handful of others that give a sh!t. Most people leave. Give the experiment a try before you b!tch. You would think by your stance that Trump was just nominated president when everyone said he would never.......ohhhh wait!

You would need to ask the folks who want the privledge taken away as I don't. We park about 50 yards from the gate so we like going out grabbing some good food, drink and listening to the halftime show then heading back in at the start or very early in the third quarter.

The rule won't keep anyone in that wants to leave and frankly will likely have a zero net affect on second half attendance. Only winning or Btown suddenly having a shitty tailgate atmosphere will,change that. I have heard one or two say it is a security issue but that is not valid as security is a fixed cost for games and having 2-4 personnel manning metal detectors on either side handles that.

The change will come eventually and alcohol sales may be the trigger. Too bad.

Last edited:

There's a reason why the vast majority of high school, college and pro sports venues don't permit re-entry. Stadium security is a priority to those facilities and their proprietors.

There's a reason why the vast majority of high school, college and pro sports venues don't permit re-entry. Stadium security is a priority to those facilities and their proprietors.

i'm not buying that's the reason, nor am i buying that's your big concern with it..

i'm not buying that's the reason, nor am i buying that's your big concern with it..
That’s far and away the biggest reason nearly all venues don’t permit people to leave and then re-enter. Screening is labor intensive, intrusive, time consuming, and often performed by people with minimal training. Stadium managers realize that system reliability is and always will be a concern, and that concern grows exponentially if constant re-screening must occur. IU is the rare exception to a very common practice at all levels of sports.

It is a stated rational but far from the primary reason. It is all about revenue, end of story.
This isn’t remotely accurate however, if it was, IU’s Athletic administrators should be replaced for failing to capture the revenue that walks out through the turnstiles. Most facilities worry greatly about security, and that’s why they don’t permit unlimited (or even limited) ingress and egress. Anyone who knows IU alum Mike Fox knows this to be the case.

Last edited:

I'm with you there....big deal? I think they believe that it will create more fans in the seats in the second half. News flash....it won't. More people will just leave and not come back at all.

This isn’t remotely accurate however, if it was, IU’s Athletic administrators should be replaced for failing to capture the revenue that walks out through the turnstiles. Most facilities worry greatly about security, and that’s why they don’t permit unlimited (or even limited) ingress and egress. Anyone who knows IU alum Mike Fox knows this to be the case.
I understand the security aspect of it.....it does make sense. But I know there is a $$$ aspect, too. To say it's not "remotely accurate" is a bit of an exaggeration.

I understand the security aspect of it.....it does make sense. But I know there is a $$$ aspect, too. To say it's not "remotely accurate" is a bit of an exaggeration.
The “remotely accurate” comment was in response to the “it’s all about revenue” assertion, which is patently false.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT