ADVERTISEMENT

some observations with a depleted roster

SoccerSammy

All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2012
Not that anyone cares... but here's my "next day" thoughts:

1) Tired of hearing Elmore say the flagrant 1's were from "bad habits"... Trey was gassed and barely hanging on by that point (pun slightly intended)
2) When roster is full, Leal may never see the court again
3) Without XJ this team goes absolutely nowhere in a hurry
4) Miller Kopp has exactly what purpose on this team?
5) Were any of you guys young, dumb, and carefree at any point in your lives? After the years of my (mostly) misspent youth, I have a hard time railing on these young guys unless they did something truly egregious.
6) I respect CMW more than ever now for putting principle above W's. We pay a lot of lip service to that but let's be honest, most of us wouldn't have had the balls to pull off what Woody did last night. Will it cost us a tourney bid? Maybe. Will it cost us seeding if we make the tourney? Definitely. Is it a key building block for future teams? Absolutely
7) Now we know why Geronimo doesn't get more minutes as most of us have wanted... he doesn't have the discipline yet to stay in the game
8) Would LOVE to have half a team with the heart a soul of Trey. That man gave us everything he had last night. Kudos even in a loss.

1) Tired of hearing Elmore say the flagrant 1's were from "bad habits"... Trey was gassed and barely hanging on by that point (pun slightly intended)
5) Were any of you guys young, dumb, and carefree at any point in your lives? After the years of my (mostly) misspent youth, I have a hard time railing on these young guys unless they did something truly egregious.
6) I respect CMW more than ever now for putting principle above W's. We pay a lot of lip service to that but let's be honest, most of us wouldn't have had the balls to pull off what Woody did last night. Will it cost us a tourney bid? Maybe. Will it cost us seeding if we make the tourney? Definitely. Is it a key building block for future teams? Absolutely
7) Now we know why Geronimo doesn't get more minutes as most of us have wanted... he doesn't have the discipline yet to stay in the game
8) Would LOVE to have half a team with the heart a soul of Trey. That man gave us everything he had last night. Kudos even in a loss.
👍

Agree with all 8. And I'm guilty of hoping for too much from Geronimo. Sometimes you forget these coaches see these guys every day and there is a reason they don't get more minutes.

Having said that, not sure why Kopp plays so much. 🤔

Reactions: BigMobe

Kopp had at least 2 very wide open shots he has to make.

Coaches need to teach critical thinking and 5 players failed it this week. Could be the second offense for some so strike 3 is right around the corner. This program doesn't tolerate this very long. The tradition refuses to lower the standards. Go to Pitt, USF, and UT Martin if you want to act a fool. Bates and Lander at least strike 1. They are young. The other 3 aren't.

1. never been a fan of Elmore. He makes me sleepy just listening to him.
2. Yeah granted he was rusty, but had a lot of chances last night and showed nil.
3. bingo. X let the team down. Worried the ship doesn't get righted in time.
4. Kopp had a bad night in front of friends. I'm sure he didn't sleep well last night.
5. Oh I did my share and then some....but I wasn't on a full ride to play ball in Bloomington IN. Different rules for different fools.
6. Agreed
7. Agreed...Kid looks lost on defense. Picks up stupid fouls. Fails to switch/hedge/communicate with his teammate on screens and gets burned. Seen this many times already this season. Go replay the Nance shot with 0.5 seconds on the clock....JG just gets lost in space.
8. He was the one player who was asked to accept a much different role (Point Guard) and play the entire game. He did leave it all on the court.

Agree with all 8. And I'm guilty of hoping for too much from Geronimo. Sometimes you forget these coaches see these guys every day and there is a reason they don't get more minutes.

Having said that, not sure why Kopp plays so much. 🤔
Maybe coach sees Kopp everyday and in practice he does what was he was brought in to provide for the team.

Can Duncomb still be redshirted? Is redshirting still a thing? Can no longer tell with the COVID year. Seems Race might have 7th year of eligibility next year and can come back.

Can Duncomb still be redshirted? Is redshirting still a thing? Can no longer tell with the COVID year. Seems Race might have 7th year of eligibility next year and can come back.
Basketball isn't football... Duncomb has played in multiple games.. Barely... But he has played. No redshirt available.

I agree on Kopp and the one thing he was brought into do he cannot do at all. He is a bad shooter period. Yes without XJ we go nowhere and this would have likley been a win if we had him. Northwestern actaully played really bad and missed a ton of open shots and that is the only reason we even stayed in the game. They shot 31% total and 18% from three. If we played a good team last night we lose by 30.

I always wondered why people kept hyping Geronimo so much but last night we saw we he does not play alot.

1. I like Elmore but he was off his game last night. And that particular observation was pretty bad. Maybe his brain was having a reaction from having to listen to Dave Revsine for so long?
2. Nor should he.
3. Agree.
4. What a disappointment he's been. He just can't play.
5. Yes, sure. But I wasn't a full ride athlete.
6. Amen
7. His bball IQ is in negative territory, I think.
8. Trey is a fighter. He'd rarely come off of the floor for me. If he could shoot better he'd be trouble.

2. Leal definitely isn't a point guard. I think he cares and would run through a brick wall to win. I don't know if he will ever be anything more than a guy who comes off the bench, provides some energy, and hits shots.

3. and 4. XJ is about the only player that can create his own shot. IU's offense is a dribble drive, and we aren't very good at creating shots for or finding the slow shooters. IU also doesn't run very many plays for shooters. Hence, Kopp and Stewart are further limited by the offense.

5. and 6. I doubt the IU players did anything worse than Gillis' DUI, and Gillis didn't miss any Big Ten games. He also got a pretty sweet plea deal that I don't see people charged with DUI's normally get. There is more than one way to discipline kids, and IU needed the NW game. Running the F out of somebody and chewing them out tends to get the point across. IU didn't need to fire Archie Miller to miss the NCAA tourney and lose Big Ten games. IU needs program momentum more than anything, and making the NCAA's is main way to do this. If the team responds and goes on a tear, great and it shows you what I know. If not, IU shot itself in the foot again.

I look at IU throwing the game away last night along with the Wisky second half and the Penn St. away game, and IU is tied for 1st place in the Big Ten. I don't look at this season as a throw away, rebuilding year. I expected a good Big Ten finish and the NCAA's, and it was more than possible: is it still possible?

Last edited:
2. Leal definitely isn't a point guard. I think he cares and would run through a brick wall to win. I don't know if he will ever be anything more than a guy who comes off the bench, provides some energy, and hits shots.

3. and 4. XJ is about the only player that can create his own shot. IU's offense is a dribble drive, and we aren't very good at creating shots for or finding the slow shooters. IU also doesn't run very many plays for shooters. Hence, Kopp and Stewart are further limited by the offense.

5. and 6. I doubt the IU players did anything worse than Gillis' DUI, and Gillis didn't miss any Big Ten games. He also got a pretty sweet plea deal that I don't see people charged with DUI's normally get. There is more than one way to discipline kids, and IU needed the NW game. Running the F out of somebody and chewing them out tends to get the point across. IU didn't need to fire Archie Miller to miss the NCAA tourney and lose Big Ten games. IU needs program momentum more than anything, and making the NCAA's is main way to do this. If the team responds and goes on a tear, great and it shows you what I know. If not, IU shot itself in the foot again.

I look at IU throwing the game away last night along with the Wisky second half and the Penn St. away game, and IU is tied for 1st place in the Big Ten. I don't look at this season as a throw away, rebuilding year. I expected a good Big Ten finish and the NCAA's, and it was more than possible: is it still possible?
From other posts here by people in attendance last night it sounds like you were more upset about the suspensions than those players who were suspended. If true, I don't really want to see them in an IU uniform again.

Getting less and less possible by the day. We are blowing excellent oppotunities for wins. I guess at Minnesota and Maryland at home are still good opportunities but the rest of the schedule is a killer. 10-10 is probably best case maybe 11-9 if we can pull off one vs a better team.

#2--The problem is he doesn't really hit shots. He's 30% for his career on 3s, and he never takes anything that's not wide open. He never has been a knock-down 3 pt shooter, but I think a lot of people (me included) hoped he'd turn into one with enough work. It's too bad because he really is pretty athletic as well as being smart and hard-working.

#7--JG got called for a foul on a 3 pt shot. Elmore made the good observation that you can't challenge the 3 directly (head on) but rather run by so as not to foul. Pretty elementary. So late in the game the same situation happened and JG once again JG came head on against the shooter. He blocked the shot, but he was lucky no foul was called. He's a great rebounder and shot blocker, cares & plays really hard, but he's still raw and still getting lost on D.

#8--No one else on the team cares as much about winning as TG....the only 3 in the same area code as far as determination goes are Leal, X, and JG, in whatever order you want.

I agree with all except #7. I think JG has discipline, I just think he is that raw regarding a basketball IQ. This is further compounded by his becoming used to and understanding what his length, reach, and jumping ability can do.

I am a Leal fan and think he should play more. He had 4 assists and only 1 turnover. He guarded fairly well against an athletic Audige and Buie. He is a really good shooter but hasn't played much since 12/22 and was 1-4 (with one a half court heave) from 3 last night. I would really like to see X, Trey, and Leal with Race and TJD.

I am a Leal fan and think he should play more. He had 4 assists and only 1 turnover. He guarded fairly well against an athletic Audige and Buie. He is a really good shooter but hasn't played much since 12/22 and was 1-4 (with one a half court heave) from 3 last night. I would really like to see X, Trey, and Leal with Race and TJD.
That would be my 1st try at a starting 5 also. Parker just doesn't look hungry enough to be a clutch performer and MK seems to be in a bad zone right now to be a playmaker. Don't understand cause he sure as hell was at NW.

Reactions: ribbont
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT