ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering numbers (or at least they should be)

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Sources:
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/indiana-covid-19-dashboard-and-map/ -- This is where I'm getting the current percentages & raw numbers
https://www.indystar.com/story/news...p-fast-track-vaccine-mandate-bill/8925925002/ -- This is where it cited that pre-pandemic number of ICU beds (I'm sorry if it's behind a paywall.
https://www.regenstrief.org/covid-dashboard/ -- State dashboard on hospitalizations. It's interesting because you can play around with date ranges and see how data shifts.

Pre-pandemic number of ICU beds in Indiana = 1,400
Number of ICU beds after pandemic ramp-up = 2,022

Allocation of ICU beds as of today (12/29/21):
Non-COVID: 52.8%, or 1,067.
COVID: 38%, or 768
Open: 9.2%, or 186. ( -- Informative Tweet thread from an IU hospital pulmonologist explaining how that number isn't exactly what it seems, but that's not really my point.)

In the "before times," 1,067 ICU patients for non-COVID reasons (i.e., everything else we get sick from) would account for 76.2% of beds with the remaining 23.8% being open.

We can also see that we've got more COVID patients in the ICU (768) than the number of beds we surged up (622).

If COVID existed in the "before times," 768 patients would account for 54.8% of all the ICU beds available. For one disease. I don't care if we're talking cancer, heart attacks, strokes, or goddam syphilis. That's a way too big chunk of beds being tied up with one thing.

Switching gears to the number of people in the hospital, this is interesting. And to me, numbers in the hospitals are the really important metric because that's really showing the strain on the system. But anyway, I ran two sets of data. 3/1/2020 - 6/1/2021 (to encapsulate the pandemic beginning up to when vaccinations really petered out to the current trickle) and 6/1/2021 - Present (to see the other side of that coin. The results (in % to adjust for the different time period lengths):

March 1, 2020 - June 1, 2021: Percentage hospitalized by age group.
0-4 = 0.52%
5-19 = 1.30%
20-29 = 6.07%
30-39 = 7.58%
40-49 = 9.38%
50-59 = 14.78%
60-69 = 20.36%
70-79 = 21.06%
80+ = 18.94%

June 2021 - Present : Percentage hospitalized by age group.
0-4 = 1.15%
5-19 = 2.05%
20-29 = 6.40%
30-39 = 9.14%
40-49 = 12.30%
50-59 = 17.68%
60-69 = 21.38%
70-79 = 17.18%
80+ = 12.72%

So, you can see that the pandemic has been pretty terrible for old people. Particularly so when you see the high percentage of old folks in the hospital with COVID compared to their relatively small portion of the population. But seniors (70+) have also been our most vaccinated group, and there are as many 40-49 year olds in the hospital the last 6 months as 80+. Pre-vaccine, there were twice as many 80+.

Final interesting piece of data:
From 6/1/21 to present, 8.6% of confirmed COVID + patients have needed hospitalization. 11.5% of those hospitalized have died. That can be compared to numbers of 8.4% & 16.5%, respectively, over the course of this whole thing. So it looks like hospital outcomes have improved. My strong suspicion is that it has to do with the increase of younger folks needing inpatient care vs. seniors.

Do what you will with this fake news.

Sources:
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/indiana-covid-19-dashboard-and-map/ -- This is where I'm getting the current percentages & raw numbers
https://www.indystar.com/story/news...p-fast-track-vaccine-mandate-bill/8925925002/ -- This is where it cited that pre-pandemic number of ICU beds (I'm sorry if it's behind a paywall.
https://www.regenstrief.org/covid-dashboard/ -- State dashboard on hospitalizations. It's interesting because you can play around with date ranges and see how data shifts.

Open: 9.2%, or 186. ( -- Informative Tweet thread from an IU hospital pulmonologist explaining how that number isn't exactly what it seems, but that's not really my point.)

In the "before times," 1,067 ICU patients for non-COVID reasons (i.e., everything else we get sick from) would account for 76.2% of beds with the remaining 23.8% being open.

We can also see that we've got more COVID patients in the ICU (768) than the number of beds we surged up (622).

If COVID existed in the "before times," 768 patients would account for 54.8% of all the ICU beds available. For one disease. I don't care if we're talking cancer, heart attacks, strokes, or goddam syphilis. That's a way too big chunk of beds being tied up with one thing.

Switching gears to the number of people in the hospital, this is interesting. And to me, numbers in the hospitals are the really important metric because that's really showing the strain on the system. But anyway, I ran two sets of data. 3/1/2020 - 6/1/2021 (to encapsulate the pandemic beginning up to when vaccinations really petered out to the current trickle) and 6/1/2021 - Present (to see the other side of that coin. The results (in % to adjust for the different time period lengths):

0-4 = 0.52%
5-19 = 1.30%
20-29 = 6.07%
30-39 = 7.58%
40-49 = 9.38%
50-59 = 14.78%
60-69 = 20.36%
70-79 = 21.06%
80+ = 18.94%

0-4 = 1.15%
5-19 = 2.05%
20-29 = 6.40%
30-39 = 9.14%
40-49 = 12.30%
50-59 = 17.68%
60-69 = 21.38%
70-79 = 17.18%
80+ = 12.72%

So, you can see that the pandemic has been pretty terrible for old people. Particularly so when you see the high percentage of old folks in the hospital with COVID compared to their relatively small portion of the population. But seniors (70+) have also been our most vaccinated group, and there are as many 40-49 year olds in the hospital the last 6 months as 80+. Pre-vaccine, there were twice as many 80+.

From 6/1/21 to present, 8.6% of confirmed COVID + patients have needed hospitalization. 11.5% of those hospitalized have died. That can be compared to numbers of 8.4% & 16.5%, respectively, over the course of this whole thing. So it looks like hospital outcomes have improved. My strong suspicion is that it has to do with the increase of younger folks needing inpatient care vs. seniors.

Appreciate the effort. The data likely provides support for both sides of the debate. Hopefully since it is Indiana specific/sources, it reduces the challenging on this board of the statistics themselves and now can be used as a basis for posts based on the interpretation of the data.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Seniors will tend to be vaccinated at a higher rate.

You 6-1-21 cutoff also corresponds roughly with the emergence of the more severe Delta variant. Not sure what that might signify, but I think it has to be a factor. I have to believe we'd be in much better shape if we were still dealinging with original recipe.

Sources:

0-4 = 0.52%
5-19 = 1.30%
20-29 = 6.07%
30-39 = 7.58%
40-49 = 9.38%
50-59 = 14.78%
60-69 = 20.36%
70-79 = 21.06%
80+ = 18.94%

0-4 = 1.15%
5-19 = 2.05%
20-29 = 6.40%
30-39 = 9.14%
40-49 = 12.30%
50-59 = 17.68%
60-69 = 21.38%
70-79 = 17.18%
80+ = 12.72%

Outstanding post.

So when we hear there is not a real ICU bed shortage in hospitals but a staff shortage, that isn't exactly true. We have more people in ICU than we physically could have had pre-covid:

Pre-pandemic number of ICU beds in Indiana = 1,400​
Number of ICU beds after pandemic ramp-up = 2,022​
In Indiana we have added over 600 ICU beds.

I appreciate what Governor Holcomb said today regarding AG Rokita saying the COVID numbers are made up:

"I will say that I was stunned and somewhat blindsided by the attorney general when he said he didn't trust any information because that to me hit home," Holcomb said during a COVID-19 press conference. "It's quite serious when you accuse or insinuate anyone of inflating numbers. In my book, that's called fraud."

Sadly Rokita will be our next governor because the people rejecting 1+1=2 love Rokita.

Death rates are way down.
Death rates are, personally, less important to me than hospital numbers. It became clear pretty quickly that this thing wasn’t the Black Death. But it’s propensity to put folks in the hospital is concerning for the strain on the system. Like I don’t want to come to accept a world in which we have 2 COVID seasons each year that have no room in the system for anything else once we go back to normal capacity.

Sources:

0-4 = 0.52%
5-19 = 1.30%
20-29 = 6.07%
30-39 = 7.58%
40-49 = 9.38%
50-59 = 14.78%
60-69 = 20.36%
70-79 = 21.06%
80+ = 18.94%

0-4 = 1.15%
5-19 = 2.05%
20-29 = 6.40%
30-39 = 9.14%
40-49 = 12.30%
50-59 = 17.68%
60-69 = 21.38%
70-79 = 17.18%
80+ = 12.72%

So does this show that the vax is actually causing more cases? There were less vaxed before, and lower #'s. more vaxed now and higher numbers. I think I made a good decision. Thanks man.

Outstanding post.

So when we hear there is not a real ICU bed shortage in hospitals but a staff shortage, that isn't exactly true. We have more people in ICU than we physically could have had pre-covid:

I appreciate what Governor Holcomb said today regarding AG Rokita saying the COVID numbers are made up:

"I will say that I was stunned and somewhat blindsided by the attorney general when he said he didn't trust any information because that to me hit home," Holcomb said during a COVID-19 press conference. "It's quite serious when you accuse or insinuate anyone of inflating numbers. In my book, that's called fraud."

Sadly Rokita will be our next governor because the people rejecting 1+1=2 love Rokita.
100%. This is the kind of info the media should have been putting out. Useful, informative, facts.

This is a serious question…

Why aren’t hospitals turning away unvaccinated patients? Seems a very simple solution to the surge. The % of unvaccinated people for serious, legit reasons has to be a fraction of the unvaccinated.

People who did the responsible thing shouldn’t have screenings and other legit medical procedures and routine “maintenance” put off due to irresponsible people.

Is this an ethical obligation, or do hospital administrators see dollar signs with long term covid patients?

Just got back from Xmas trip in Indiana with Dr. FIL who said 99% of the scans he reads for those who are sick with COVID are people who don’t have a vax.

Share that with your families.

• Haha
Reactions: TMFT and Indianaftw
You mean serious, legit reasons like it’s their god given right to individual freedoms? Those serious, legit reasons?
We make people get measles and TB and other vaccines. We forced people to get smallpox vaccines. So what year did this right happen.

I actually don't know I want the government mandating vaccines, but when did this right come into existence and does it apply to all the other vaccines?

You mean serious, legit reasons like it’s their god given right to individual freedoms? Those serious, legit reasons?
It’s absolutely your god given right not to get the vaccine at this point…it’s not law. But it’s also their right to deny you service. Healthcare is private, not a right. Correct? I’m asking why they don’t deny service. It would fix their problem.

Why aren’t hospitals turning away unvaccinated patients? Seems a very simple solution to the surge. The % of unvaccinated people for serious, legit reasons has to be a fraction of the unvaccinated.

People who did the responsible thing shouldn’t have screenings and other legit medical procedures and routine “maintenance” put off due to irresponsible people.

Is this an ethical obligation, or do hospital administrators see dollar signs with long term covid patients?
The same reason they don’t turn away fat people having heart attacks, or smokers with lung cancer, runners with bad knees, etc.,etc.

The same reason they don’t turn away fat people having heart attacks, or smokers with lung cancer, runners with bad knees, etc.,etc.
But those people don’t fill up hospitals to the point of breaking.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
It’s absolutely your god given right not to get the vaccine at this point…it’s not law. But it’s also their right to deny you service. Healthcare is private, not a right. Correct? I’m asking why they don’t deny service. It would fix their problem.

Sorry, as much satisfaction as it might give you, you just can't do that. When you show up at the hospital, you don't want people applying arbitrary measures of "deserving" to different people. Too fat? Your heart attack can wait. Too poor? No MRI for you. No vax? Go to the back of the line, we have better paying jobs ahead of you. Too bad if you drown in your own mucous.

Hospitals are filled with people there for various reasons, but you get to choose which people made the right choices…got it.
During a pandemic I would say yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt.
Sorry, as much satisfaction as it might give you, you just can't do that. When you show up at the hospital, you don't want people applying arbitrary measures of "deserving" to different people. Too fat? Your heart attack can wait. Too poor? No MRI for you. No vax? Go to the back of the line, we have better paying jobs ahead of you. Too bad if you drown in your own mucous.
I’m simply asking. If trying to save every person will make the boat sink dooming everyone you’ve got to make hard decisions. I’m sure they already are.

Same reason hospitals dont turn away smokers, drug addicts, and morbidly obese people. Isnt not smoking and not eating yourself to 400 pounds the responsible thing? If you start the trentd then you better turn away anyone who lives a bad lifestyle. Or do 450 pounders with bad hearts have more rights than a person with covid? It seems some of you think they do.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
During a pandemic I would say yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

I’m simply asking. If trying to save every person will make the boat sink dooming everyone you’ve got to make hard decisions. I’m sure they already are.
Exactly how many have been doomed?

Reactions: DANC

Also, it would help if Indiana media let people know how much Rokita sucks.

Todd should stick with his quest to root out all the commies (Chinese commies I might add) at Valparaiso University.

He's looney enough that a good Democrat could beat him, ala Murdock. I have no idea who that might be. Probably have to be someone outside Indiana politics who already has some name recognition.

Reactions: Bill4411
Just like they could deny service to 450 pound overeaters who are going to clock up hospitals with bad hearts.

Exactly how many have been doomed?
Most everyone in the IU Health system is getting very suboptimal care due to sheer numbers and case loads for nurses and doctors. It certainly isn’t a great situation. This comes from my friends at Methodist and Bloomington who work for the system.

Reactions: TMFT

That's called triage, where resources are allocated based on the best chance for good outcomes, not on what brought them there in the first place.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

What you suggest would be illegal.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
He's looney enough that a good Democrat could beat him, ala Murdock. I have no idea who that might be. Probably have to be someone outside Indiana politics who already has some name recognition.

It just dawned on me that this might, just might, be an opening for Pete. I never saw him being a viable candidate for statewide office in Indiana before, but if Rokita is the nominee and he continues his race toward Looney Town...

Reactions: mrhighlife
Outstanding post.

Has Trump approved Rokita yet?

Sources:

0-4 = 0.52%
5-19 = 1.30%
20-29 = 6.07%
30-39 = 7.58%
40-49 = 9.38%
50-59 = 14.78%
60-69 = 20.36%
70-79 = 21.06%
80+ = 18.94%

0-4 = 1.15%
5-19 = 2.05%
20-29 = 6.40%
30-39 = 9.14%
40-49 = 12.30%
50-59 = 17.68%
60-69 = 21.38%
70-79 = 17.18%
80+ = 12.72%

This is more anecdotal, and involves Iowa, not Indiana. But the Des Moines Register has done a series of articles/interviews with a local ER Physician (Tom Benzoni) regarding his day to day experiences treating covid patients.

The latest installment presents some scary thoughts on issues like discharged patients having to be readmitted, and what he sees in middle-aged patients (30-50) and the possible long term issues they may have to deal with. Since you used the term "sobering" in your OP, I thought this was a pretty sobering exchange between Benzoni and the interviewer...

"You worked two shifts in two different hospitals over the past 21 hours. Tell me about a few COVID patients.

"One unvaccinated, middle-aged guy had been recently discharged from the hospital and came back because he couldn’t breathe. He was weak, needed oxygen and had leg pain.

In the ER, his legs suddenly turned white and cold. That’s what you see in people with atrial fibrillation who get clots in arteries. It ended up, this guy had a clot in his aorta and was shooting clots down his legs.

That means blood thinners and surgery, and I don’t know his prognosis.

Put a push pin in this, because I think we’re going to have a raft of people who survived this virus in their 30s to 50s and have life-long pulmonary vascular disease. Some may be on oxygen the rest of their lives. Some may need lung transplants, and you don’t get a lung transplant unless someone else dies."

Other patients?

Right across the hall was a younger fellow with low oxygen. His skin was gray and he had chest pain so we had to check him for blood clots. There was a 70-something vaccine denier with lungs full of COVID.

All three unvaccinated?

All three were unvaccinated, had already been hospitalized and were so sick they had to be readmitted."

He also discussed the respective differences in how the Pfizer and Merck antiviral pills work, as well as a basic explanation of how the covid spike protein can bind to the receptors in any blood vessel. It's an interesting series, and appears to have started back in March of 2020.

Reactions: TMFT
It just dawned on me that this might, just might, be an opening for Pete. I never saw him being a viable candidate for statewide office in Indiana before, but if Rokita is the nominee and he continues his race toward Looney Town...
I haven't lived in Indiana for 30 years, but why do you think Buttigieg would not be a viable candidate for statewide office?

So does this show that the vax is actually causing more cases? There were less vaxed before, and lower #'s. more vaxed now and higher numbers. I think I made a good decision. Thanks man.
Never ceases to amaze me how you manage to become dumber by the day. Congratulations.

Reactions: Harry Hondo
This is more anecdotal, and involves Iowa, not Indiana. But the Des Moines Register has done a series of articles/interviews with a local ER Physician (Tom Benzoni) regarding his day to day experiences treating covid patients.

The latest installment presents some scary thoughts on issues like discharged patients having to be readmitted, and what he sees in middle-aged patients (30-50) and the possible long term issues they may have to deal with. Since you used the term "sobering" in your OP, I thought this was a pretty sobering exchange between Benzoni and the interviewer...

"You worked two shifts in two different hospitals over the past 21 hours. Tell me about a few COVID patients.

"One unvaccinated, middle-aged guy had been recently discharged from the hospital and came back because he couldn’t breathe. He was weak, needed oxygen and had leg pain.

In the ER, his legs suddenly turned white and cold. That’s what you see in people with atrial fibrillation who get clots in arteries. It ended up, this guy had a clot in his aorta and was shooting clots down his legs.

That means blood thinners and surgery, and I don’t know his prognosis.

Put a push pin in this, because I think we’re going to have a raft of people who survived this virus in their 30s to 50s and have life-long pulmonary vascular disease. Some may be on oxygen the rest of their lives. Some may need lung transplants, and you don’t get a lung transplant unless someone else dies."

Other patients?

Right across the hall was a younger fellow with low oxygen. His skin was gray and he had chest pain so we had to check him for blood clots. There was a 70-something vaccine denier with lungs full of COVID.

All three unvaccinated?

All three were unvaccinated, had already been hospitalized and were so sick they had to be readmitted."

He also discussed the respective differences in how the Pfizer and Merck antiviral pills work, as well as a basic explanation of how the covid spike protein can bind to the receptors in any blood vessel. It's an interesting series, and appears to have started back in March of 2020.

I find reading from March 2020 on as such a good / concise capture of the last 21 months. Thank you for linking.

Indiana voted for Obama in 2008, though?

Huh, just checked the numbers, Didn't realize Trump got 57% of the Indiana vote in 2020. That surprises me.
2008 was shocking to me. And we regressed in 2012.

Then again, Hoosiers aren't above occasionally voting in a Democrat favorite son. It just struck me that Pete wouldn't be nearly as farfetched against Rokita as I once would have thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT