ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering numbers (or at least they should be)

As I said
That is not as you said. Nice try. The vaccine I got did not stop me from getting sick and the vaccine my father had did not stop him from passing it to me. So you claiming that the unvaccinated are causing the latest surge is wrong. You aren't following science, you are another in the long line of people who has a necessity to feel superior to people.

I take your non-reply as your confirmation of the fact that you are wrong. As the OP stated, the vaccine is more of a pre-therapeutic than it is a traditional MMR or Polio vaccine. I have had all of the above vaccines in my life including tetanus. Never have I had polio, measles, mumps, rubella, or tetanus. The small pox shot eliminated that disease. The COVID vaccine did none of the things those vaccines did. That is not to say it does not have benefits for people who get them, but your narrative is not in touch with science or reality.

That is not as you said. Nice try. The vaccine I got did not stop me from getting sick and the vaccine my father had did not stop him from passing it to me. So you claiming that the unvaccinated are causing the latest surge is wrong. You aren't following science, you are another in the long line of people who has a necessity to feel superior to people.

I take your non-reply as your confirmation of the fact that you are wrong. As the OP stated, the vaccine is more of a pre-therapeutic than it is a traditional MMR or Polio vaccine. I have had all of the above vaccines in my life including tetanus. Never have I had polio, measles, mumps, rubella, or tetanus. The small pox shot eliminated that disease. The COVID vaccine did none of the things those vaccines did. That is not to say it does not have benefits for people who get them, but your narrative is not in touch with science or reality.
As I said.

I understand you are not going to be objective about this. Once you guys politicize this...there is no turning back. Whatever Tucker carlson tells you to think...go with that.

Go laundry!

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and bawlmer
Why do you think getting vaccinated will get us out of this? It's the thing to do because it clearly reduces the likelihood of hospitalizations and allows us to maintain some semblance of normalcy but it won't get us "out of this" unless/until other countries, poorer countries, India, Pakistan, African countries, drastically improve their vaccination rates. Otherwise variants will continue to emerge and find their way over here where the vaccinated here continue to pass it on. Right? Or am I wrong on that front?
No, you are right. Furthermore, COVID is going to be endemic. Look at something like the Spanish Flu from 1918-1920. It came in 4 waves. The second being the worst wave. It petered out and became a seasonal flu. I have my suspicions that Omicron is pushing that process for COVID as we speak.

As I said.

I understand you are not going to be objective about this. Once you guys politicize this...there is no turning back. Whatever Tucker carlson tells you to think...go with that.

Go laundry!
Shorter Courtsense, I got nothing.

Reactions: DANC
No, you are right. Furthermore, COVID is going to be endemic. Look at something like the Spanish Flu from 1918-1920. It came in 4 waves. The second being the worst wave. It petered out and became a seasonal flu. I have my suspicions that Omicron is pushing that process for COVID as we speak.
Got it. I called a buddy of mine the other day because he missed our game. He said he was super sick. I said Covid? And he said no Type A Flu. Hadn't heard that in a while.

Reactions: IUCrazy2

This isn't the unvaccinated. This is a highly contagious variant blowing through everyone. We have to hope this variant is mild and blows through quickly. If it does, Omicron may be what gets us out of this.

This isn't the unvaccinated. This is a highly contagious variant blowing through everyone. We have to hope this variant is mild and blows through quickly. If it does, Omicron may be what gets us out of this.
For those of us who are science impaired explain how this gets us out of it

Exactly. If we can weather Omicron without being overwhelmed with hospitalizations and deaths, then we have a chance of coming out the other side with a shit ton of natural immunity resulting from widespread infection. At that point we'll be as close to "herd immunity" as we'll ever be. That will be when we can declare victory and move on.

Exactly. If we can weather Omicron without being overwhelmed with hospitalizations and deaths, then we have a chance of coming out the other side with a shit ton of natural immunity resulting from widespread infection. At that point we'll be as close to "herd immunity" as we'll ever be. That will be when we can declare victory and move on.
@IUCrazy2 ignore my post. i just read this

Reactions: IUCrazy2
For those of us who are science impaired explain how this gets us out of it
Uncle Mark kind of covered it below. If Omicron is mild and highly contagious, it should theoretically naturally "vaccinate" anyone who is not already vaccinated and act as the ultimate booster shot for those of us who are. If we all have antibodies that recognize it, then it should help to reduce the lethality as it rolls through seasonally like it has been.

It was very effective at blocking Alpha, the Brits studied it and found it 70% effective at blocking Delta. Omicron is obviously far less. But it offers some protection against getting the disease and a lot of protection against severity.

It was very effective at blocking Alpha, the Brits studied it and found it 70% effective at blocking Delta. Omicron is obviously far less. But it offers some protection against getting the disease and a lot of protection against severity.
It does not appear to be offering much protection against getting the disease right now. New York is one of the most vaccinated places on the planet and they are burning just as bright with infections as anywhere else.

Reactions: bailey777 and DANC
Uncle Mark kind of covered it below. If Omicron is mild and highly contagious, it should theoretically naturally "vaccinate" anyone who is not already vaccinated and act as the ultimate booster shot for those of us who are. If we all have antibodies that recognize it, then it should help to reduce the lethality as it rolls through seasonally like it has been.
Agree, although even that scenario will wreak way more havoc in fatalities, damage to our health system, and slowing the economy than the "evil" vaccines.

It does not appear to be offering much protection against getting the disease right now. New York is one of the most vaccinated places on the planet and they are burning just as bright with infections as anywhere else.
Lots of data coming out that boosted people are better protected.

Lots of data coming out that boosted people are better protected.
The proof in the pudding will be checking the CDC “excess deaths” charts in a couple months. If you go to it, you’ll see that NYC got absolutely wrecked with excess deaths in the beginning of the pandemic but has been basically in line with actuarial estimates for total deaths since. One has to assume that’s because mitigation plus vaccination efforts in the most densely populated city in the USA. You can compare that to the number of excess deaths in Florida, for example, which has not been awesome, with their latest wave being almost twice as bad from a death standpoint than either of their prior two.

Reactions: UncleMark
Wishful thinking. Until the trump sheep get on board we are screwed.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01 and DANC
The proof in the pudding will be checking the CDC “excess deaths” charts in a couple months. If you go to it, you’ll see that NYC got absolutely wrecked with excess deaths in the beginning of the pandemic but has been basically in line with actuarial estimates for total deaths since. One has to assume that’s because mitigation plus vaccination efforts in the most densely populated city in the USA. You can compare that to the number of excess deaths in Florida, for example, which has not been awesome, with their latest wave being almost twice as bad from a death standpoint than either of their prior two.
International data is ahead of US. Here's one today out if South Africa, but there are others from the UK.

Agree, although even that scenario will wreak way more havoc in fatalities, damage to our health system, and slowing the economy than the "evil" vaccines.

I'm not sure we know that. If it's five times more transmissible but only one fifth as lethal, then it should be a wash, shouldn't it? I'm sure the statistics involved are more complicated than this, but you should get my drift.

Reactions: TMFT
I'm not sure we know that. If it's five times more transmissible but only one fifth as lethal, then it should be a wash, shouldn't it? I'm sure the statistics involved are more complicated than this, but you should get my drift.
But there are still people hospitalized and dying with Omicron. The rates of infections that turn serious is smaller, but there are almost 66% more infections. There are still lots of vulnerable people taking their chances.

Reactions: TMFT
Wishful thinking. Until the trump sheep get on board we are screwed.
With people like you and mark trashing them 24/7 and calling them names i am sure they will jump right on board. Lol. Mark the tolerant liberal the dude spews hate. Nobody is jumping on board with you two.

Reactions: Lucy01

You seem to be weathering the virus well since you’re on here conversing with us heathens.

Just curious, how do you and your dad feel? How did you discover you had the virus-felt sick and/or got tested randomly? And a general question: How would one know if they contracted the Omicron variant, Delta, or the original virus?

Hope you and your dad are doing well.

Even if everyone in NYC were vaccinated (they are not) and even if the vaccine was still 70% effective (it is not) there would be 2.5 million people capable of being infected. Of course the state has many more people.

Sadly against omicron the vax is far less than 70%, as is the famed "natural" immunity. But we do not have reason to believe it is 0.

You seem to be weathering the virus well since you’re on here conversing with us heathens.

Just curious, how do you and your dad feel? How did you discover you had the virus-felt sick and/or got tested randomly? And a general question: How would one know if they contracted the Omicron variant, Delta, or the original virus?

Hope you and your dad are doing well.
Thanks Morrison.

So my experience so far:

I was fine all day Christmas day but later in the evening I started feeling chills and a little bit of muscle soreness in my legs mostly. Had a temperature that was pretty low grade. Floated a few tenths of a degree above and below 100. Woke up Sunday and still had low grade fever so I set up appointment to go get tested. Came back positive.

Symptom wise I have not had a fever since Sunday morning. I have some pressure in head and some congestion in chest. I'd honestly compare it to the sinus issues I usually have around this time of year. Praying it stays that way. LPN that tested me said day 5 to 7 is usually the worst and today was day 5.

My Dad got it a bit worse. Much more congestion, cough, fever coming and going. We talked yesterday and he said that he has some technicolor stuff coming out his nose and dark mucus getting coughed up. They put him on some antibiotics to try and help with that.

We saw each other the week before Christmas and he left to go see my sister and brother who live in the southeast U.S. He started to feel like he was getting a cold 2 days after we visited.

So Omicron is most contagious 2 days before you get symptoms and for most people the symptoms present as pretty mild to start with and then vary from there. I think the way it starts is part of what makes it so transmissible.

Reactions: Morrison
With people like you and mark trashing them 24/7 and calling them names i am sure they will jump right on board. Lol. Mark the tolerant liberal the dude spews hate. Nobody is jumping on board with you two.
“Them”??? Lol

It’s absolutely your god given right not to get the vaccine at this point…it’s not law. But it’s also their right to deny you service. Healthcare is private, not a right. Correct? I’m asking why they don’t deny service. It would fix their problem.
WAIT! WHAT?

'Healthcare is private, not a right. Correct?'

Turn in your official Libroid membership card. You have touched the third rail of the collectivist hive

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01 and DANC
That is not as you said. Nice try. The vaccine I got did not stop me from getting sick and the vaccine my father had did not stop him from passing it to me. So you claiming that the unvaccinated are causing the latest surge is wrong. You aren't following science, you are another in the long line of people who has a necessity to feel superior
The unvaccinated are responsible for the surge in hospitalizations. And from a public health perspective isn’t that the most relevant issue?

You think the media ignored Afghanistan, inflation, etc.? Then you are at incredible level of dumb. No insight needed.
Lol. I'll take your lack of response regarding the other items I listed as your concession the media ignores those Biden failures. As for Afghanistan, the media did cover it with some criticism. But as soon as Biden mentioned the mask mandate, most dropped the withdrawal like a hot potato. And inflation has been largely ignored until recently. Many tried to downplay it by faithfully repeating the small 16 cent increase for 4th of July parties that the admin spewed.

You are behind times.

CNN has been criticizing Biden routinely for the last few months on several subjects and mistakes, specifically blasting him harshly for the Afghanistan withdrawal,

Come on, tell the truth now -- there's no way you faithfully monitor "CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, NYT, WAPO, LAT, ChiTrib, USA Today, et al," as your post suggests, is there? Fess up, now.

Lol. I don't think CNN has said anything since Biden diverted the subject with the mask mandate announcement during the withdrawal. And as for monitoring those places, Google is your friend if you how to use it.

Reactions: Lucy01
The unvaccinated are responsible for the surge in hospitalizations. And from a public health perspective isn’t that the most relevant issue?
People need to focus on what you said. Connected to my previous post.

Lol. I'll take your lack of response regarding the other items I listed as your concession the media ignores those Biden failures. As for Afghanistan, the media did cover it with some criticism. But as soon as Biden mentioned the mask mandate, most dropped the withdrawal like a hot potato. And inflation has been largely ignored until recently. Many tried to downplay it by faithfully repeating the small 16 cent increase for 4th of July parties that the admin spewed.
I don’t think you’re the brightest bulb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT