ADVERTISEMENT

So here's the thing about racism. (also titties)

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
TL;DR - Most of you are idiots when it comes to race, and I'll explain why. (Payoff below)

The main problem with most of you is that you see racism as a binary state. Either you're a racist, or you're not. Either you wear a white hood, or you're colorblind. Racism doesn't work like that. Racism, like any number of prejudices we could talk about - and I will - is woven into the fabric of our society. Even those of us who are not actually racists are still part of the structural racism of America.

In America, the best possible thing you can be is:
White
Suburban
Male
Rich
Straight
Cisgender
Protestant

The worst thing you can possibly be is the opposite:
Black
Urban
Female
Poor
Gay
Transgender
Non-Christian (probably Muslim at this time, but it shifts)

Now, the vast majority of us don't fit into one of those two groups. Most of us can most accurately describe ourselves from picking descriptors from both groups. But all of those polar descriptors bring prejudice with them, including race. If you can nail six out of the seven things in the first list, and the only one you miss is that you are black, then your life is likely not to be quite as good as someone who can claim all seven.

See, I would never claim to understand what it's like to be black. But I do understand - and most of you apparently do not - that there is something that it is like to be black. That is to say, if someone were to make an exact clone of me, and give him the exact same life as mine, and change only one thing - turn him from white to black - his experience of America would differ vastly from my own thanks to that one singular change. That, in essence, is what racism is. Racism today isn't (for the most part) Klan rallies and skinheads. It's a subtle underlying current that changes our life experiences based on the color of our skin.

There is a poll that is done regularly that tracks views on race among Americans. One of the questions posed to white respondents is, "Would you have a problem with your child marrying a black person?" I'm not sure you could come up with a better definition of a racist than that. The number who answer "Yes" has been steadily declining over the years. I believe it's currently at like 10% or so. So, assuming everyone is honest, that means only 10% of white Americans are actually racists.

But racists and racism are two different things. The other 90% of white Americans are still cogs in the racism machine that our nation is. Along with classism, sexism, homophobia and all the other prejudices. It's part of who we are as a society, not just as individuals.

I find it absolutely amazing how many people jumped my case for defending JRW in the thread below, and accused me of somehow being a racist because of it. What's funny is that I didn't defend JRW. Nor did I defend the people who were claiming racism. I made no claim whatsoever as to whether racism was involved in the LL's decision. The only opinion that I stated was that I was sick and tired of white people using Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as shorthand for "uppity negroes." And yet, most people here had to turn it into a whole other thing.

If you are one of the people who did that, I can honestly say, you don't get it. You are part of the problem. You don't understand that there is a difference between a racist and racism. You don't understand that not talking about racism won't magically make it disappear. And you can't possibly fathom the idea that someone would discuss race without automatically turning them inside your head into Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

In short, this country is absolutely f*cked, and you're one of the reasons why.

Now, in payment for all of you who made it this far, some top results from a GIS for "hottest black chicks."

EDIT: One of my pictures - a black chick in a bikini on the edge of a pool - failed on the hotlink, so I officially owe you all one hot black chick.

SelitaEbanks012202.jpg

This post was edited on 2/12 10:50 PM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

Did you spend all day writing that instead of filling out job applications?

perhaps that's a reason the country is f*cked.

TLDR. Take your sandy vagina and white guilt back to Jizzabel.*

No one jumped your case....

at least as far as I could see.

I just thought you missed the point, as you evidently did given this worthless preaching post.

Thanks for the effort, though.

^^^^paid $50 to become a certified pastor^^^^

You are missing the boat in one major way.

Change black to "poor" and race to "socioeconomic" and I'll agree with most of your post.

Honest to God.

I thought we were on the Cooler or I wouldn't have responded. Damn the cheep bourbon.

Go read it again.

I don't know if you went off on that rail, but a lot of people did.

I never said JRW were victims of racism. That people read that into my post is a symptom of the problem I am describing.

Keep away from me, Goat. I'm an agent of Goldstein.

I didn't know it myself. Thoughtcrime is so insidious. It just creeps up on you. My daughter found it out. Very proud of her. Very grateful I've been discovered before it's too late.

You don't know if I went off on that rail?

Then you need to go read it again, not me.

Here's what I read from you:

The only opinion that I stated was that I was sick and
tired of white people using Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as shorthand
for "uppity negroes."

Since the original post was mine, I took your comment to mean that I (yes - a white man) was equating JJ and AS as "uppity negroes" (your phrase not mine). You can have that visceral reaction, but its based on a trigger that you're sensitive to, and nothing to do with what I posted.

My point is that - and this is limited to the JRW situation ONLY - that Jesse Jackson was doing nothing to help the situation, and was only there because it was an opportunity to keep his face in front of the cameras. To pander to his constituency, that gives him what influence and power he has. Without it he is impotent.

Which is why today Rahm Emanuel announced that he called the LL president and demanded that they reverse their decision. Purely politics, and playing to the base in an election year.

For the record, I only included Al Sharpton for comedic effect.

Hold up.

That was a big thread, and most of it happened while I was working. In this post I was addressing a lot of things. I'm not sure any of them were anything you said. In fact, I'm fairly certain none of them were things you said.

goat

This post was edited on 2/12 11:44 PM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

So then you start a new thread, basically slamming the posters...

who participated in the thread as being racist, or ignorant about what racism is?

You were painting with a broad brush, counselor, and I think I was being impugned in the process.

Yup.

I don't think I accused anyone of being racist. I specifically tried to explain the difference between "racist" and "racism." People who are not racist still are part of racism. That was my point.

I wasn't trying to impugn you. I was making reference to what my original claim in the old post was, because if I had said, "I stated no opinions about race," I would have rightfully been called a liar. So I admitted to the one race-based opinion that I did form. It was an historical reference. You are not the target of my wrath. This thread was not about what you said. It was about what others after you said in response to my response to you (better check the math on that sentence).

EDIT: Okay, I did mention Jackson and Sharpton a second time, but that was simply for literary effect. The point of that sentence had nothing to do with you.

goat

This post was edited on 2/13 12:03 AM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

Gotcha...

see, here's my thing.

There are times when its okay to criticize Jackson (or whoever), and times when its not. Sometimes they are agents for good, and sometimes not.

But, if I follow your logic too far, then any criticism of Jackson or Sharpton immediately makes the person making that criticism racist. And that's not reality.

I'm a white guy.

Live in an upper middle class neighborhood. I work my ass off to make six figures a year in sales. I have a dick that I am 100% sure belongs on my body and I enjoy putting it in a vagina. Also I believe in God and attend church some, but not as much as I should. I got my own problems and don't really give two chits about the problems other people face. If you think that makes me a racist, well, ask me if I give a ***k.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I see this exercise was a waste of time.

I said what I wanted to. That you all are incapable of actually reading what I said is on you.

Hint: If you think I was calling you a racist, you weren't f*cking paying attention.

not sure if it makes you racist

But it does make you a bit of a dick. You don't give two shits about other peoples problems ? You work your ass off to earn 6 figures? Cry me a river... Many people work their asses off for minimum wage...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

So here's the thing about your post...

It's boring and it belongs on the cooler.

Black Flag - "White Minority"

We're gonna be a white minority
We won't listen to the majority
We're gonna feel inferiority
We're gonna be white minority

White pride
You're an American
I'm gonna hide
Anywhere I can

Gonna be a white minority
We don't believe there's a possibility
Well you just wait and see
We're gonna be white minority

White pride
You're an American
Why can't I hide
Anywhere I can?

Gonna be a white minority
There's gonna be large casualty
Within my new territory
We're all gonna die

White Minority/No Values

Oh please

define "hard work"...standing at a cash register at McD's is not hard work. There's hard work and smart work, some people aren't smart, the world needs ditch diggers.

My Non-OTF Response Is No Longer At The Cooler - Where It Belongs

Get off my lawn you whiny liberal commie tart.

This post was edited on 2/13 12:51 PM by MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

You Know How I Know You're a Racism-ist?

Where's the afro?

You can only like chicks with "whitey" hair?

You're part of your institutionalized 90%.

Is-Going-Natural-For-You3.jpg

This post was edited on 2/13 9:21 AM by MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

where the hell have i been? Never heard the term cisgender. Where did

it come from, is it an acronym? Don't recognize cis as a common prefix and google searches didn't identify it I don't believe.

Thanks for the pics, I like that approach!

here's your problem: stop going to church!

it obviously isn't working. Not caring about others problems probably doesn't make you any worse than most folks, but it does make you part of the problem. If you're middle class and white you've benefited from some of the institutional type racism and built-in advantages OHG is talking about, and in the position you are in, you are blessed. Stop going to church and get out and help someone: Big Brothers, homeless shelter, volunteer tutoring at a local school, an elderly widowed neighbor.... help someone.

Here's a similar sentiment from JFK and Jesus, take your pick: Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

Plenty of people.

I've got 8 file cabinets in my basement full of people who spent 20-30 years making fairly low hourly wages.

Like you said, somebody has to do it.

Further, I'd venture to say that the less you make, the harder you work (in many instances).

This post was edited on 2/13 9:40 AM by UTFO

He's not racist; just immature.

Probably always will be.

We all know the type: I sell widgets poor people make/assemble and make 6 figures, so that means I'm better than most, including the people who actually make those widgets.

He probably smokes cigars and loves Rush Limbaugh/Glen Beck, foolishly believes he's in the upper 5% and listens to 2 Pac.

But that doesn't mean they're

hard workers. It seems people like to associate "hard workers" with low wage earners, it's not the same thing.

It's Osteen's Prosperity Theology.

The better Christian you are, the more money you make.

It's all in the Old and New Testaments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT