ADVERTISEMENT

So here's the thing about racism. (also titties)

Thanks Mr. Obvious. (edited content)

I guess the bank hates black people. (dws) I would change to a bank that doesn't hate black people. (dws)

Dummy (not dws)

This post was edited on 2/13 2:03 PM by iubud

Goat, they'll never get it ..

I knew this before you started that thread, and nothing has changed.

If you educated one person, that's a plus, but I don't think you did.

DWS - didn't think it was required for this thread

Th thought the DWS was understood. I will be more careful next time. Maybe if I typed it s l o w e r .....

Parenting ..

is my guess. I hate to say this. Iived on 3 continents. Here, in Japan, and in Germany. The Japanese were the most racist in general, the Germans the least. Which just always seemed odd. The Japanese were not fond of my mixed heritage. At all.

Speak for yourself. You're the kind of elitist that shouldn't be preaching

to other people.

I doubt I have one friend who wouldn't accept a job in a grocery store if it came down to it.

Re: Osteen, Oy.

My parents are devout and think Osteen is a joker.

But, there again, they're fairly moderate in their politics...a little left of center.

Prosperity theology seems right up the far right/evangelicals' alley.

The bank is just one of many examples where I as I white male

get treated much better than my wife who is a much better looking & a nicer person who happens to be black.

Re: not sure if it makes you racist

Puuhlease.....nobody making minimum wage works their ass off. Maybe in their first ever job...but any true hard worker that has any basic skills whatsoever wil make at least double min wage.

You have any clue how hard it is to hire people that will actually show up and give a shit? Almost impossible.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Just my response is sarcasm - Its Friday, right?

I actually like discussing race issues. It is much easier to do face to face. I am always interested in people from different cultures. I ask questions all the time to my Indian, black, and middle eastern friends. The "sneaky" comment the other day is one I never knew about. I suspect the person that used it never thought of it as offensive.

I understand every race holds some form of prejudice against another race even if they don't think so.

I'm all 7 so I didn't bother reading beyond there....I've got to make reservations at that the club for tomorrow.....vbg.

No dws - You would have more opportunity to see this than most

The first time I saw how black people thought about their treatment was while a black friend and I were traveling together. I was putting gas in the car and he wanted me to go buy the drinks inside the convenient store. At first I was bothered because he was just sitting there. I got back and asked him if he was okay. He said I am black and we are in rural Tennessee. I didn't even think about it. He told me there was a good chance nothing wouldn't happen, but he didn't want to take a chance of getting pissed.

Most people would hate themselves if they did or said something unintended that had racial undertones. I think discussions like this are good to understand each other better

Re: Wow.

Why? That's my experience I've had hiring people up and down the wage scale for the last 15 years in a variety of industries.

Have several other friends that are also business owners that will tell you the same thing. We often say, hire an $8/hr employee, you'll get exactly that kind of quality. of course there are specific exceptions...but on the whole it's true.

Don't even get me started on trying to hire people in the construction world, half are lazy to the point they won't show up, another large subset are dishonest crooks....then you actually have people that will show up and won't steal. They have more work than they know what to do with.

Re: No dws - You would have more opportunity to see this than most

Yeah it took me some time before I really understood what she was talking about but it becomes more clear & clear. Some stories I hear I just sit back & shake my head and others I get really mad. I know have an 8 year son going through some of it too which is sad.

They were just jealous that you're beautiful...

Mixed heritage people are usually more beautiful than non-mixed.

Exhibit A:

large.jpg

Exhibit B:

573f5357eb442ddfdc51c79c311e9aba.jpg

Exhibit C:

Model181_zps20fafaec.jpg

Now you've done it . . .

you've pissed off SopeJr#2, who is a Lock . . . and loves the oy, oy, oy.

I was in food service.

Most of te people I hired were low or minimum wage workers. Many of them were extremely hard working.

Perhaps experiences in this regard are industry-specific.

Generational changes will make it better?

I saw a children's book from 1929 that was titled "10 Little N-word". A CHILDREN'S BOOK!

As your son grows up, I believe he will see less than your wife saw. It seems that each generation learns a little more about diversity.

You would hope so but in the community we live in

right outside Bloomington, you would be surprised at some of the things he has been called at school. In his elementary school only 3 black kids in the school, 2 in my wife's class and my son in 3rd grade. Sad thing is in small towns ignorance breeds ignorance.

I came from a small town

At the most, there were 4 or 5 black kids in every grade. One of the girls a year below me was absolutely beautiful. We were all in love with her, but she had two older brothers that were very protective.

I was friends with almost every one of them in the grades around mine. They were the friendliest and funniest kids in school. Being different seemed to make them more popular. One kid used to stand up for my wife when some mean girls tried to pick on her in middle school. Willie was big and strong, but was the sweetest person you would ever meet. He got a job at the powerplant, dropped out of school and was killed falling off a smoke stack years later. Still remember when we heard about it.

Funny, I had the exact same experience.....

We were driving to Florida for Spring Break and we stopped to get gas and such and our black friend stayed in the car. We got back in and he explained that he didn't feel comfortable walking around.

It was the first time I really started to see some of the chit minorities deal with.

I once took the same friend to an IU game. Our seats were quite good and in the old money (and pretty much all white section) and you could see some of the old timers apprehension. I was shocked, I never thought about it and had never seen it or at least recognized it.

So what?

Someone from a small town can't survive in the big scary world? I have traveled all over the world, but I have never lived in a town above 150,000 by choice.

One thing I learned in a small town was respect.

Ok well....75 % of minimum wage

Earners are adults, not teenagers. Over 70% have at least a high school degree and many some college. Many minimum wage earners work in service areas.

You need to move into Bloomington proper

Until I moved here I never realized the difference between the rural surrounding areas and the college part. Night and day. Sad....

Should've told the old farts he is/was a basketball player

They would probably be okay then. (dws for those that don't recognize sarcasm)

You should take the advice that Larry David gave Leon Black

And that is to just wear dark rimmed glasses. Black peeps aren't as intimidating to whitey if they are wearing glasses.

"If a white guy is going up against a black guy for a job....whitey wins. If a white guy is going up against a black dude in glasses...glasses win everytime. White people go out of their way for black people in galsses"

Lol love Larry Daivd.

Larry David explains the power of glasses to Leon

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT