ADVERTISEMENT

Since Crean's class is 6th, do we need to adjust

What did Crean not have available at IU that limited his success here? Please be specific as to what was not provided for him that would have made him more successful.

I'm going to state for the record that I believe the only thing that limited Tom Crean's success at Indiana was Tom Crean. I think you are grasping at straws and your statements are influenced by your disdain for Fred Glass. Fred Glass might correctly be blamed for 99 problems ( though I will also go on record as saying that most of those complaints are petty bs and mostly fans needing a scapegoat) but failing to adequately support Tom Crean sure ain't one of them.

Being butthurt because IU basketball didn't achieve this year what you wanted it to achieve isn't a good reason to engage in false revisionist history and change the narrative of Tom Crean's performance during his time here.

Until recently, IU lacked basic amenities that even good mid major programs had. Archie had to demand changes. IU was stuck in the Stone Age for a long time. Crean stunk but his bosses did him no favors.

Until recently, IU lacked basic amenities that even good mid major programs had. Archie had to demand changes. IU was stuck in the Stone Age for a long time. Crean stunk but his bosses did him no favors.
What changes did Archie demand and what has he gotten as a result?

This isn't a good thing. We were 0-6 in the 6 games we scored less that 60 points in. It shouldn't be a goal unless you are trying to lose and up your defensive stats.

That is a ridiculous comment. What was the record in games IU held the opponent to under 60?

You could also say the same thing about a team that allow the opponent 100 points on 6 occasions. If IU scored in the 90s on each, they would still be 0-6. Would you say score 90 was a bad thing?

Now, if you said we were 0-6 in the 6 games IU held
the opponent under 60, then I would get it.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
I still don't get it. We started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores and improved over a team that graduated 5 scholorship seniors, last year, in a very tough B10. Why are people's expectations so ridiculous?

CAM expectations? If Crean is in the tournament next year since he has the 6th rated recruiting class are we then going to just adjust our expectations. Because Fred wanted Indiana kids, we have plenty of those now. It seems like many of you are blaming Romeo and lower CAM's expectations. I really thought OG got hurt in Crean's last year but is that only an excuse for CAM.

Reactions: ufo33
I still don't get it. We started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores and improved over a team that graduated 5 scholorship seniors, last year, in a very tough B10. Why are people's expectations so ridiculous?
It would take a team of nobel-prize winning psychologists to figure out the dysfunction of many on this forum. It's embarrassing really. I'm ashamed to admit that our basketball fan base is actually worse than the OSU football crowd. I dread going to the restroom or concession stand at halftime of bball games because I have to listen to the ignorant, inbred hilljacks give their brilliant analysis on strategy and all the ways the coach screwed up. It's like listening to mental patients discuss how to perform brain surgery.

You must have listened. Please list a few things that he asked for and got to get get us out of the stone age.

1) More money for non conference scheduling (buy games)
2) player lounge

I listened to the podcast and came away more with the impression that deficiencies were that Crean and previous coaches never asked. Snow didn’t seem to suggest that there was any push back or hestitation on the part of the admin to make the changes. I could see where Crean and Davis probably didn’t have the vision to make changes and Sampson not being here long enough to make significant asks.

Completely bogus.

How is this even possible. How does the coach at IU basically go from having to recruit guys like Grant Gelon, Clifton Moore, Al Durham etc, to having the 6th ranked class next year. That absolutely makes no sense.
It probably has to do with the psycho fans on these message boards slamming the players and coach constantly. Why would they want to come here and take the abuse?

In the shot clock era you are guaranteed a certain number of paossessions so you have to score.

That is a ridiculous comment. What was the record in games IU held the opponent to under 60?

You could also say the same thing about a team that allow the opponent 100 points on 6 occasions. If IU scored in the 90s on each, they would still be 0-6. Would you say score 90 was a bad thing?

Now, if you said we were 0-6 in the 6 games IU held
the opponent under 60, then I would get it.

Laugh all you want I would wager Crean has a better record than ARchie next year.
Crean will recruit well at first. Once the local coaches begin to hate him, that will change. The fans are already about to hang him. The one thing he has at UGA that he didn’t at IU are university associates that have a win now drive.

In the shot clock era you are guaranteed a certain number of paossessions so you have to score.

That is not my point. My point was that you said IU was 0-6 in games they scored less than 60. I would say probably most people are 0-6 when scoring less then 60. Do you contend that you can only either be a scoring team or a defensive team??? The real question should have been, what was IU record when the opponent scored less than 60 (3-2). That's a winning record for an inept scoring team and keeps them competitive. Obviously they need to continue to improve on defense and especially on offense. BTW, there was 1 team (G'Town) who was a play-in that was top 40 offense and 300ish area for defense. From a quick look, there was 7 (I only counted major teams with at large bids) that where below 250 in offense rankings. So even in the shot-clock era, defense first wins most consistently.

Last edited:
How did we improve? a better record? Not in BIG. We were 12-2 in December. Our NET was top 25. We lost home games in the BIG. 5? We didn't improve. One of the freshmen was a McDonald's AA.

Humorous you included Priller in the 5 seniors. I couldn't think of the 5th.

Humorous you included Priller in the 5 seniors. I couldn't think of the 5th.

Why is that humorous? That's exactly the point. The fact that a kid like Tim Priller was on the roster and a non-contributor as a Senior was kinda part of the problem...

Actually no I don't contend that. You have to play both ends of the floor. What good does good defense do if you can't score. This isn't the A10 where you can win like that. If you are going to win NCAA games you better do both. The BIG teams in the NCAA this year can do both. Our offense was terrible in most of the 12 BIG games we lost. It was shooting, lack of motion to get better shots, lack of effort at times, lack of confidence by players and lack of lineup changes.

That is not my point. My point was that you said IU was 0-6 in games they scored less than 60. I would say probably most people are 0-6 when scoring less then 60. Do you contend that you can only either be a scoring team or a defensive team??? The real question should have been, what was IU score when the opponent scored less than 60 (3-2). That's a winning record for an inept scoring team and keeps them competitive. Obviously they need to continue to improve on defense and especially on offense. BTW, there was 1 team (G'Town) who was a play-in that was top 40 offense and 300ish area for defense. From a quick look, there was 7 (I only counted major teams with at large bids) that where below 250 in offense rankings. So even in the shot-clock era, defense first wins most consistently.

13 schollies. How did that keep us from improving this year. We swung at a grad transfer like Fitzner and the coaches missed. Not criticizing last year just this year.

Why is that humorous? That's exactly the point. The fact that a kid like Tim Priller was on the roster and a non-contributor as a Senior was kinda part of the problem...

Georgia has a lot of talent in the state and there is less instate competition for it. Georgia Tech is a non-factor. I think it is easier to recruit to Athens. Georgia is a big budget athletics department that actually wants to win at a high level.
You talking about Athens Greece?

Crean will recruit well at first. Once the local coaches begin to hate him, that will change. The fans are already about to hang him. The one thing he has at UGA that he didn’t at IU are university associates that have a win now drive.
Crean did the same thing at iu. Recruited good for a few years but it wont last. Plus the 5 star eanted to stay close to home period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT