ADVERTISEMENT

SI Article on IU and Langford Recruitment

Why does the article state we have landed Robert Phinisee? Did I miss something? "He’s Indiana’s only top-50 recruit in the class of 2018, but the Hoosiers have already snagged one of the state’s two other top-100 players, Riley High small forward Damezi Anderson, and one of their targets, McCutcheon High point guard Robert Phinisee"

Why does the article state we have landed Robert Phinisee? Did I miss something? "He’s Indiana’s only top-50 recruit in the class of 2018, but the Hoosiers have already snagged one of the state’s two other top-100 players, Riley High small forward Damezi Anderson, and one of their targets, McCutcheon High point guard Robert Phinisee"

I'd say that's just a combination of sloppy writing and lazy editing.

It means to say that, of the state's two other top 100 players in the Class of 2018, we've landed one (Anderson) and are targeting the other (Phinisee).

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
The article also incorrectly states "As a junior last season, he averaged 28.7 points, 8.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists while leading New Albany High School to a 25-4 record and its first state championship in more than 40 years" when in fact Romeo was a sophomore when New Albany won the title and it was two seasons ago.

Yes, I agree, but it seems to be more likely every day.

What makes you say that? I haven't seen anything that would indicate that we've gained ground.

The big X factor, I think, is Louisville's situation with the NCAA. I still think they have to be considered the leader. That's his hometown team, after all.

What makes you say that? I haven't seen anything that would indicate that we've gained ground.

The big X factor, I think, is Louisville's situation with the NCAA. I still think they have to be considered the leader. That's his hometown team, after all.

He wants a business degree and academics is a huge X factor for him and his family.

Let's be honest education is very important but unless he blows out a knee or something (hope not) Langford is only in class for a very short time then he's on to the NBA. He will pick the school that he feels best fits his path and I believe CAM is making up a lot of ground.

I'd be really surprised if he ended up in Lexington.
Well, the linked article says, "Langford grew up rooting for the Cardinals," so I wonder how easy it would be for a Louisville fan to jump ship to play for the universally-hated Kentucky. That isn't a typical rivalry.

that is NOT his hometown team!

New Albany is part of the Louisville Metropolitan area....which is why it's not the least bit surprising that he grew up a Cardinals fan.

You think a state boundary should preclude such an affinity? It doesn't -- which is why a lot of people in Northwest Indiana were rooting for the Bears to beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI.

New Albany is part of the Louisville Metropolitan area....which is why it's not the least bit surprising that he grew up a Cardinals fan.

You think a state boundary should preclude such an affinity? It doesn't -- which is why a lot of people in Northwest Indiana were rooting for the Bears to beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI.[/QUOTE
Being born and raised in New Albany and having lived here for decades I can say that IU, UL, and UK all have large followings in this area. Seems that IU and UL fans aren't at odds but both hate UK. Been watching Romeo since 8th grade and initially felt it was between Duke and UL but getting more of feeling that IU is making big leap. Just a feeling. And I'm not sold that he is a one and done either.

Being a Louisville media area you get get more coverage of the Cats/Cards than IU. I do get 1 Indy channel here though. Lot of fans of each school here in Clarksville.

OT something I didn't realize is how many UK fans are in the Cincinnati area smh! I was working for a year downtown driving back and forth on 71 and found they have infested that city over the years. There are tons more UK than OSU or even the bearcats. I can't tolerate dumb UK fans here in Clarksville they are by far the worst.

Being a Louisville media area you get get more coverage of the Cats/Cards than IU. I do get 1 Indy channel here though. Lot of fans of each school here in Clarksville.

I'm sure there is. I'm sure there are lower concentrations of Louisville and UK fans in Indy -- and lower still in SB and FW....where you will likely find higher concentrations of Purdue fans, relative to other parts of the state.

Bottom line is: it's not at all surprising that a kid in New Albany would favor the Cards over the Hoosiers. New Albany is a part of the Louisville metro. That doesn't mean he's going to go to UL or that we have no shot. But it is worth knowing.

OT something I didn't realize is how many UK fans are in the Cincinnati area smh! I was working for a year downtown driving back and forth on 71 and found they have infested that city over the years. There are tons more UK than OSU or even the bearcats. I can't tolerate dumb UK fans here in Clarksville they are by far the worst.
Southwest Ohio has alot of UK fans, heck there are Dayton fans that are UK fans. They are season ticket holders at both universities.

Once again, contrary to what the author of the article told us, I believe it is well known that Romeo grew up a Duke fan. So just let this recruitment run its course. He said he likes Coach Miller and the way he coaches. Romeo is smart and understands what a commit to each school would mean...it will be IU if everything fits.

Reactions: mazz

No. Not even close. New Albany is probably 1/3 U of L fans, 1/3 IU and 1/3 UK. Hell, the bordering town of Clarksville used to have a college memorabilia store in it that only had U of L and U.K. stuff in it. IU stuff wasn't even on the shelves.

New Albany is a helluva lot more connected to U of L than it is is Bloomington. And it's not even close. They used to call it "the sunny side of Louisville". For the first 30 years of my life, outside of my 4 years in Bloomington, I lived in either Floyd Knobs, Clarksville or Louisville (after college until I graduated law school and moved to Clarksville). Southern Indiana is far from a loyal IU area. Sadly.

Remember, the media market New Albany is within is the Louisville market. And the Yum center (where U of L plays) is literally on the river- that borders New Albany.

The UofL - UK store is still in the GreenTree mall. It's tiny, lightly shopped, and the business model just makes no sense. Surprising they remain in business. Other retailers have a good mix of all three. Many also stock Purdue and ND.

Greater than 95% of IUS students are Indiana residents.

And now my personal observation as a lifelong New Albany resident is that there are far more IU fans than 1/3. I see far more 'IU first, UofL next' fans than any other.

The event at Hubers each year shows how passionate IU fans in our area are.

Ever go to the Derby Festival events at New Albany or Floyd Central? They're full of IU fans.

'Sunny Side' was a chamber thing. It was a marketing slogan to draw business attention to tge Indiana side of the metro area. It was highly successful and you rarely see it any longer.

New Albany is Hoosiers first IMO.

Reactions: mazz
And now my personal observation as a lifelong New Albany resident is that there are far more IU fans than 1/3. I see far more 'IU first, UofL next' fans than any other.

Ever go to the Derby Festival events at New Albany or Floyd Central? They're full of IU fans.

'Sunny Side' was a chamber thing. It was a marketing slogan to draw business attention to tge Indiana side of the metro area. It was highly successful and you rarely see it any longer.

I grew up in New Albany, left in 1987 when I was 16, and moved back in 2010. The older fans are still mostly IU. I've noticed a lot of the younger fans are UofL or UK, unlike in the 80s when it was all IU. There's the recent successes of those two programs, and I think the rise of UofL football has gained them fans; when I was a kid there were ND fans and then zero interest in college football, now that's totally different.

Most if not all of the UK players would have gotten to the NBA if they went elsewhere.

I've always felt the same way Scott. I was convinced to look into it a little further by a UK fan and a U of L fan (friends of mine) to try to settle a debate.

In preparing the chart below, I found the probability of being a Lottery pick or a 1st rd pick based on RSCI Top 100 rankings. Then I just plugged in the RSCI rankings for the recruits of the most productive coaches since Cal arrived at UK. By doing this, the idea is to estimate the number of lottery picks and 1st rounders each coach would be expected to have based on the RSCI ratings... then compare the estimates to reality.

I'll let people draw their own conclusions from the chart, if there are any to be drawn.

Draft%2Bimpact%2Bvalues.PNG

I only give coaches credit for drafted players if they played their first and last D1 seasons with the coach. So, if Deron Davis were to become a 1st round selection, Coach Miller wouldn't get the credit in this chart.

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
I've always felt the same way Scott. I was convinced to look into it a little further by a UK fan and a U of L fan (friends of mine) to try to settle a debate.

In preparing the chart below, I found the probability of being a Lottery pick or a 1st rd pick based on RSCI Top 100 rankings. Then I just plugged in the RSCI rankings for the recruits of the most productive coaches since Cal arrived at UK. By doing this, the idea is to estimate the number of lottery picks and 1st rounders each coach would be expected to have based on the RSCI ratings... then compare the estimates to reality.

I'll let people draw their own conclusions from the chart, if there are any to be drawn.

Draft%2Bimpact%2Bvalues.PNG

I only give coaches credit for drafted players if they played their first and last D1 seasons with the coach. So, if Deron Davis were to become a 1st round selection, Coach Miller wouldn't get the credit in this chart.

If every coach was specifically targeting classes full of 5-star, top 20 level, recruits -- or if Calipari wasn't -- then that chart would tell us something. But they aren't, so it doesn't.

It just tells us what we all already know -- Cal pretty much only recruits the very best HS players. As such, it's no surprise that so many of his players have ended up in the NBA.

New Albany is a helluva lot more connected to U of L than it is is Bloomington. And it's not even close. They used to call it "the sunny side of Louisville". For the first 30 years of my life, outside of my 4 years in Bloomington, I lived in either Floyd Knobs, Clarksville or Louisville (after college until I graduated law school and moved to Clarksville). Southern Indiana is far from a loyal IU area. Sadly.

Remember, the media market New Albany is within is the Louisville market. And the Yum center (where U of L plays) is literally on the river- that borders New Albany.[/QUOTE]
Your statement couldnt be further from the truth. We had had this discussion on here before and New Albany is by far an IU town with UofL and Kentucky fans about even. Go to a New Albany or Floyd Central basketball games and look in the stands . Clarksville and Jeff are a different story but New Albany is by a healthy majority an IU town. Ive lived here my whole life I work for the City I know my fair share of people in New Albany and Floyd County. and I can count on one hand the number of Kentucky fans I know and on two hands the number of UofL fans I know I could fill New Albany"s gym with the number of Indiana fans I know. Someone said in the last discussion about this that this area Clark, Floyd, and Harrison counties have the second largest Alumni base to the Indy Area in the state. FWIW IU is strong in New Albany

The UofL - UK store is still in the GreenTree mall. It's tiny, lightly shopped, and the business model just makes no sense. Surprising they remain in business. Other retailers have a good mix of all three. Many also stock Purdue and ND.

Greater than 95% of IUS students are Indiana residents.

I agree as a live long resident of New Albany I think it is IU, UL, then UK. It's just that the UK fans are more obnoxious so it seems like there are more of them. Having said that, there are also some obnoxious IU fans too. The event at Hubers was sold out and Don Fisher said it was the best attended IU event in the state. I've been watching Romeo since 8th grade and felt Duke and UL were leaders. Only my opinion but I think IU is making a strong push and would not be surprised if he opts for IU. Only gut feeling.

Remember, the media market New Albany is within is the Louisville market. And the Yum center (where U of L plays) is literally on the river- that borders New Albany.
Your statement couldnt be further from the truth. We had had this discussion on here before and New Albany is by far an IU town with UofL and Kentucky fans about even. Go to a New Albany or Floyd Central basketball games and look in the stands . Clarksville and Jeff are a different story but New Albany is by a healthy majority an IU town. Ive lived here my whole life I work for the City I know my fair share of people in New Albany and Floyd County. and I can count on one hand the number of Kentucky fans I know and on two hands the number of UofL fans I know I could fill New Albany"s gym with the number of Indiana fans I know. Someone said in the last discussion about this that this area Clark, Floyd, and Harrison counties have the second largest Alumni base to the Indy Area in the state. FWIW IU is strong in New Albany[/QUOTE]

Sorry, was thinking about southern Indiana as a whole. And said New Albany instead of Clark/Floyd county. Outside of Floyd Knobs, Jeff, NA and Clarksville are pretty similar places in most ways.

You're correct. Floyd County is more IU than the other two. Clark county (Jeffersonville & New Albany) is a healthy mix of fans of all three teams.

Your statement couldnt be further from the truth. We had had this discussion on here before and New Albany is by far an IU town with UofL and Kentucky fans about even. Go to a New Albany or Floyd Central basketball games and look in the stands.

This misses the point. It doesn't matter what the relative percentages are in New Albany. We're not taking a census here -- and whichever team has the most fans takes the cake.

The kid in question is from a town where, not surprisingly, there are a lot of Louisville fans. Yes, the town is in Indiana. Yes, there are also a lot of IU fans there. If he was from Gary, it would be significantly less likely that he'd have grown up a Louisville fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT