ADVERTISEMENT

IU is wearing ‘alternate’ uniforms Sunday.

Why does everything these days have to feature an alternate black uniform? Not trying to bring race or anything like that into this, but this crap is just stupid! This, along with the ugly pink bubblegum looking unis will not get me to watch more and it shouldnt help any with the recruiting! Just stop!

The players and recruits (and students) like this sort of fashion stuff. This is an important group.

Some alumni won’t like it. Who cares, it’s a one-off jersey. The game will go on. Maybe look at it from another perspective (players and recruits).

And the women will wear these against Iowa on Thursday (as opposed to against Illinois on Monday).

The Iowa (Clark) game is a "white-out". A white-out is a stupid idea to begin with because Iowa fans will stand out. Remember the blueberries sticking out on TV during the Kansas "stripe-out"?? There were only a few in each section, but they all stood out. I have no ticket data, but I'll bet there will be several hundred Iowa fans at the game.

Further, now the team will contrast against the fans by wearing Iowa's team colors.
This is incompetence on par with "INDINIA". I hope they change their mind in the next 6 days.

And the women will wear these against Iowa on Thursday (as opposed to against Illinois on Monday).

The Iowa (Clark) game is a "white-out". A white-out is a stupid idea to begin with because Iowa fans will stand out. Remember the blueberries sticking out on TV during the Kansas "stripe-out"?? There were only a few in each section, but they all stood out. I have no ticket data, but I'll bet there will be several hundred Iowa fans at the game.

Further, now the team will contrast against the fans by wearing Iowa's team colors.
This is incompetence on par with "INDINIA". I hope they change their mind in the next 6 days.
That’s when we knew the Tom Allen “glory days” were over

The players and recruits (and students) like this sort of fashion stuff. This is an important group.

Some alumni won’t like it. Who cares, it’s a one-off jersey. The game will go on. Maybe look at it from another perspective (players and recruits).
Maybe try looking at it from the perspective of alumni for once. Maybe if the players would cut out all the nonsense and just play basketball they might be considered a top 64 team some day.

Why does a bad team need new jerseys?

Maybe try looking at it from the perspective of alumni for once. Maybe if the players would cut out all the nonsense and just play basketball they might be considered a top 64 team some day.

Why does a bad team need new jerseys?
I’m stuck doing that — as an alumni I think “Fear of God” is dumb — nice face thingy and levitating pic bro, you’re so cool. It’s silly fashion for 18-21 year olds trying to stand out. That was most ppl at that age.

The players are doing effectively nothing that would take their time from bball. Adidas designs and delivers the jerseys, players see them in their locker and wear them. I think this is the worst IU team in decades (Crean was rebuilding), but I don’t see how this impacts that.

The NBA is moving to tons of different jerseys and wild court designs, looks like LED courts are next per the All-Star game Fri/Sat at Lucas Oil. Seems like different and creative jerseys is the thing. May as well do that at IU.

This is likely in our deal with Adidas. This kinda stuff can drive free marketing for IUBB and the players and recruits probably think it’s cool. Seems to be a net positive.

But hey, well within anyone’s rights to not like it too. I think a modern script Indiana would be perfect, but I don’t know.

Last edited:

That's what I tell myself and if it helps the program in any way, I'm fine with it; it's a minor thing. But, I think they should also think hard about stunts like this during a shitty season, so they better win. Do it and lose, and you're only giving the naysayers, of which there will be plenty, more ammo.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
That's what I tell myself and if it helps the program in any way, I'm fine with it; it's a minor thing. But, I think they should also think hard about stunts like this during a shitty season, so they better win. Do it and lose, and you're only giving the naysayers, of which there will be plenty, more ammo.
You mean more ammo might be needed? We are at the insulting intelligence stage, arent' we? While pounding a square peg into a round hole does require time and effort.....we are now wearing out the hammer.

Meh

Is Northwestern doing the same thing? Or are they just trying to win the game with their normal jerseys and moving on?
Since IU will be wearing black unis, it's unlikely that NU will wear their black unis that are their alternate home attire which, also have nothing to do with their normal color scheme.

I’m stuck doing that — as an alumni I think “Fear of God” is dumb — nice face thingy and levitating pic bro, you’re so cool. It’s silly fashion for 18-21 year olds trying to stand out. That was most ppl at that age.

The players are doing effectively nothing that would take their time from bball. Adidas designs and delivers the jerseys, players see them in their locker and wear them. I think this is the worst IU team in decades (Crean was rebuilding), but I don’t see how this impacts that.

The NBA is moving to tons of different jerseys and wild court designs, looks like LED courts are next per the All-Star game Fri/Sat at Lucas Oil. Seems like different and creative jerseys is the thing. May as well do that at IU.

This is likely in our deal with Adidas. This kinda stuff can drive free marketing for IUBB and the players and recruits probably think it’s cool. Seems to be a net positive.

But hey, well within anyone’s rights to not like it too. I think a modern script Indiana would be perfect, but I don’t know.
Your 4th paragraph is(likely) exactly what's happening. Miami (fla) will wear their version of this uni this weekend as well. If IU were Nike or Under armour, you'd see something that would be equally appalling to those who are offended by such things.

Purdue fan here so hate on, but I googled this and your page came up. I am a marketing guy and love the history of uniforms, etc. and interned at Adidas in college.

That being said - to give IU some love (it's rare so enjoy) - I feel the IU unis are like the Yankees, Packers, Cowboys, etc. You don't need alternates, just stay classic and keep your brand. As a 50 year old I was also appalled by the Reds City Connect unis but they've grown on me and if you ever go to Reds games, I swear 80% of the kids are wearing these black uniforms. So, it's two games, it will likely make some cash for the program and it's not the end of the world. Lots of people will love them... just not most of us old guys on a message board. :D

5a3b00b1-f1f8-45f0-bc15-99722b7537e8-IndiaGreeneVotto_ERC04752.JPG

Bull shit. If it truly helped recruiting then we should wear them every game.

Secondly, if kids are truly coming to play basketball at Indiana because “they wear sweet black uniforms” once a year, then maybe that’s our problem and the reason we have no identity.

Bull shit. If it truly helped recruiting then we should wear them every game.

Secondly, if kids are truly coming to play basketball at Indiana because “they wear sweet black uniforms” once a year, then maybe that’s our problem and the reason we have no identity.
Well, genius, they wouldn’t be special if we wore them every game.

No one said jerseys is a primary reason kids will come here. It’s a small thing today’s players probably like.

If people don’t like these things that’s fine but let’s be honest with what this really is.

Reactions: philliu
Why does everything these days have to feature an alternate black uniform? Not trying to bring race or anything like that into this, but this crap is just stupid! This, along with the ugly pink bubblegum looking unis will not get me to watch more and it shouldnt help any with the recruiting! Just stop!
You have enough likes you may be in a majority.
I was thinking a new uniform might get me to watch (at least a few minutes before we are down 20).

Reactions: Mgdriver
I like alt unis, Nothing wrong with a change of pace. Those look a little plain IMO, but for one offs I don't mind black. I know its not a school color, but when you only have two its tougher to be creative maybe.

Football alternates should be candy stripes.

Last edited:

They could’ve done a FOG without it being black and recruits would’ve loved it too.

Do alternative jerseys. Use our actual school colors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT