ADVERTISEMENT

IU Football hosting the 2025 #1 recruit this weekend

The alternate being he is just visiting as a favor to Sunseri.

Hopefully we impress this weekend and hopefully he doesn't mind cold weather.
I think most assume that's the case. We certainly don't want to max out at being a pity case but getting one of his official visits does certainly help, even if just slightly, to turn the optics of the program to recruits. It's not going to result in any massive shift but it's certainly a small building block with which CCC can continue to strengthen the foundation of his program.

On the same note, if he walks away impressed, you never know. Plus, in today's game, the kid could be in the portal and IU has a realistic chance to be a player at that time?

I think most assume that's the case. We certainly don't want to max out at being a pity case but getting one of his official visits does certainly help, even if just slightly, to turn the optics of the program to recruits. It's not going to result in any massive shift but it's certainly a small building block with which CCC can continue to strengthen the foundation of his program.

On the same note, if he walks away impressed, you never know. Plus, in today's game, the kid could be in the portal and IU has a realistic chance to be a player at that time?

You bring up a great point about getting players on campus to put yourself in a favorable portal position.

You bring up a great point about getting players on campus to put yourself in a favorable portal position.
Only caveat is if he works out at wherever he goes, then how likely is he to transfer?

If he doesn't work out, then how likely is it for CCC2.0 to make an exception to his rule of not going after bench players? Probably higher than usual in this case given the prior relationship but this might not end up a highly used strategy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If he "favors" a coach or not, the favor would be also be going to IU. So who cares if it's a favor or not. A good QB can shine anywhere with a decent offense/OC/OL.

huh?

I meant he could just be doing IU a favor by visiting with no real intention of coming. Obviously if he commits to IU (and follows through), then that wouldn't be the case.

Anyway, if I thought the IU staff was the best at developing QBs, then I would commit and let them develop me and then possibly hit transfer portal later if I had a preferred destination or wanted to maximize my $$$.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
huh?

I meant he could just be doing IU a favor by visiting with no real intention of coming. Obviously if he commits to IU (and follows through), then that wouldn't be the case.
I updated my post a little bit. My overall point is, I doubt he'd just be visiting as a "favor". He knows the coach. Isn't that what recruiting is, being comfortable with the people you are playing for? You can make it to the NFL from any program if you are good enough.

Last edited:
I updated my post a little bit. More point is, I doubt he'd just be visiting as a "favor". He knows the coach. Isn't that what recruiting is, being comfortable with the people you are playing for? You can make it to the NFL from any program if you are good enough.

Hopefully. Assuming he has to go back to school on Monday, we only get 1 day to make an impression (Alabama is Fri, Georgia is Sat, IU is Sunday)

Only caveat is if he works out at wherever he goes, then how likely is he to transfer?

If he doesn't work out, then how likely is it for CCC2.0 to make an exception to his rule of not going after bench players? Probably higher than usual in this case given the prior relationship but this might not end up a highly used strategy.
I can understand this logic. Then again, he could go to a team like say Michigan that one would surmise should be a breeding ground for success; but what if the next coach doesn't cut it? It's possible the QB was just stuck in a bad system and as IU fans, we certainly know what that can look like.

The alternate being he is just visiting as a favor to Sunseri.

Hopefully we impress this weekend and hopefully he doesn't mind cold weather.
I doubt it’s just a courtesy. If he wasn’t serious why not use the visit for Ohio state etc. I think he genuinely likes /trust Sunseri. Do I think he ends up here? Probably not but boy do we have some cred right now.

huh?

Anyway, if I thought the IU staff was the best at developing QBs, then I would commit and let them develop me and then possibly hit transfer portal later if I had a preferred destination or wanted to maximize my $$$.
Crazy thing is the new coaching staff has some real street cred. Enjoy sunseri while we have him. If I’m a betting man he will be a hot commodity if he recruits/develops well here.

I doubt it’s just a courtesy. If he wasn’t serious why not use the visit for Ohio state etc. I think he genuinely likes /trust Sunseri. Do I think he ends up here? Probably not but boy do we have some cred right now.
I wonder if these are official visits given he is at each school for only 1 day...including travel time

Thus far I haven’t seen any 2025 ‘commits’ hope IU breaks the ice soon, with a big signee.

People (not you TE) are acting like this is something that has to happen one way or the other soon. C'mon. He's a 2025 candidate. He's got all the time in the world to weigh his options. Heck, if he's sincere about giving IU a legitimate shot at landing him, he can wait to see how we look this Fall, and then decide if he wants to be part of it -- or not.

People (not you TE) are acting like this is something that has to happen one way or the other soon. C'mon. He's a 2025 candidate. He's got all the time in the world to weigh his options. Heck, if he's sincere about giving IU a legitimate shot at landing him, he can wait to see how we look this Fall, and then decide if he wants to be part of it -- or not.
I’ll plead guilty anyway, and say it’s about momentum, UM. CCC and staff are pushing the big snowball to the top of the ski slope … I want the avalanche.

He obviously can wait as long as he wants but if I was him and I knew indiana had a high chance of being my choice (obviously unknown) then I would consider committing earlier than if my choice was a major powerhouse.

The biggest risk with choosing IU is talent level. However choosing early might allow that commitment time to draw in more talent and mitigate that risk as much as possible.

He could get the ball rolling as an early verbal/commit, whereas if he waits then not so much.

Of course, he is currently already verballed to usc. The only way the above theory would work is if he verballed, stopped looking at other schools and assisted in drumming up interest with other recruits.

Anyway, probably still a long shot

I think going to the big boy programs as a freshman is a huge risk in the portal era. Bigs treat everyone else as a farm system. Why commit and sit there as they take a 2nd, 3rd, 4th year player with proven success over you? Go and develop somewhere on the field playing. He apparently believes in the ability to be developed. Now we have to prove we can protect him and we have receivers and a scheme that allow him to flourish.

Can’t say I’ve ever been overly optimistic about this particular program, but I keep having this insane feeling we’re gonna get him. And as others have said, he’ll get the momentum going with other top tier players. Just hope we’ve got some serious NIL ready for this turnaround.

I think going to the big boy programs as a freshman is a huge risk in the portal era. Bigs treat everyone else as a farm system. Why commit and sit there as they take a 2nd, 3rd, 4th year player with proven success over you? Go and develop somewhere on the field playing. He apparently believes in the ability to be developed. Now we have to prove we can protect him and we have receivers and a scheme that allow him to flourish.
Good points. If he lives up to his ranking by showing it on the field, then he'll be making bank regardless of where he goes. More in the long run then sitting waiting his turn.

The caveat is our QB room might turn out to have pretty good competition as well with Cherry, Mendoza, and Jackson. Cherry was one of our highest ranked recruits to date. Of course, one would think a 5 star could beat them out but they will have a couple years on him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT