ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired at Trump's PA campaign rally

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

I might show up at the Auburn Annual with @BradStevens and pull off a bloodless coup.

Incredibly disappointed in you, Murt.

Monday mornings are my shit show. Nothing to do right now but shitpost as I'm currently waiting to get a passport picture taken, since I ****ed around and found out due to not paying attention.
So annoying!!! Kids back at school will help immensely.

Who knows how much of the article below by Forbes is accurate, but some interesting tidbits I have excepted.

Classmate Jameson Murphy told the Post that Thomas Matthew Crooks wasn't able to make the Bethel Park High School rifle team after missing targets "by close to 20 feet" and described him as a "terrible shot."​
Another classmate, who was not named, added that the rifle team coach had concerns about Crooks, saying the former Naval man "knew when someone’s not the greatest person" and had noted Crooks' "crass jokes that weren’t appropriate when there are firearms in the school setting."​
The gunman was not on the FBI’s radar before this incident and special agent in charge Kevin Rojek told reporters “we have not identified an ideology associated with the subject.”​
The fact we have gone this long without a clear ideology (and yes, the article does contain a quote from a classmate that he was clearly a conservative but that doesn't necessarily mean much) suggests this isn't someone radicalized but another Hinckley. Maybe they'll eventually break the phone code and find a manifesto. But I doubt a radical would hide their manifesto.

I heard earlier that he actually stopped on the way to the event to buy 50 rounds of ammo for the rifle. If that's the case, doesn't say much about preparation of himself or the SS. On a lark, you decide to swing into a local big-mart or fun shop so you can drive an hour to shoot up a presidential candidate later that afternoon.

Who knows how much of the article below by Forbes is accurate, but some interesting tidbits I have excepted.

Classmate Jameson Murphy told the Post that Thomas Matthew Crooks wasn't able to make the Bethel Park High School rifle team after missing targets "by close to 20 feet" and described him as a "terrible shot."​
Another classmate, who was not named, added that the rifle team coach had concerns about Crooks, saying the former Naval man "knew when someone’s not the greatest person" and had noted Crooks' "crass jokes that weren’t appropriate when there are firearms in the school setting."​
The gunman was not on the FBI’s radar before this incident and special agent in charge Kevin Rojek told reporters “we have not identified an ideology associated with the subject.”​
The fact we have gone this long without a clear ideology (and yes, the article does contain a quote from a classmate that he was clearly a conservative but that doesn't necessarily mean much) suggests this isn't someone radicalized but another Hinckley. Maybe they'll eventually break the phone code and find a manifesto. But I doubt a radical would hide their manifesto.

Apparently his shot has greatly improved if he used to miss by 20 ft....unless he was aiming for someone else. Have we checked who was 20 ft away from Trump?

Just shows how hard people are trying to use this situation to their political advantage.

Reactions: DANC
Monday mornings are my shit show. Nothing to do right now but shitpost as I'm currently waiting to get a passport picture taken, since I ****ed around and found out due to not paying attention.
This is my Monday hooky. That game getting delayed last night caused me to wreck myself. Drank way too much. Daughter had her friend spend the night. I said I’m going to the office you guys stay home. Plenty of food here. It’s a 100 degrees out.

Get to the office and my one partner pops in. Hey send me the ndas for x and y. Shit. I didn’t ask for them. Dude you’re Fing kidding me. No I was on rivals fighting. Well get them now. I already had everything shipped. Turns walks out. Whatever. I’m going to go to shittty jimmy johns. Oh hey I hear. My daughter sitting there with a big group of friends.

The kid's not talking. Who knows if he left a note. Who knows how much light the parents can shed on this. But you're right. Apparently he wasn't much for social media and not public about his ideology if, in fact, he had one.

We'll probably never understand what prompted him to do this.

An all-too-common pattern, though. Bullied. Loner.

Agreed.

The fact he was a bad shot, weird/troubled, and a possible conservative will fire up the conspiracy mill. I. E. He wasn’t the shooter.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
The kid's not talking. Who knows if he left a note. Who knows how much light the parents can shed on this. But you're right. Apparently he wasn't much for social media and not public about his ideology if, in fact, he had one.

We'll probably never understand what prompted him to do this.

An all-too-common pattern, though. Bullied. Loner.

Even the bullied loner part is up for question as some people are saying that's been overplayed. Who knows.

I doubt we ever know why. The FBI will use a profiler and some of the comments made, but it will be an educated guess. Who knows, maybe he left a last-second note on the phone.

Apparently his shot has greatly improved if he used to miss by 20 ft....unless he was aiming for someone else. Have we checked who was 20 ft away from Trump?

Just shows how hard people are trying to use this situation to their political advantage.
How are his classmates likely exaggerating how badly he missed an attempt to use this towards gaining a particular political advantage?

Apparently his shot has greatly improved if he used to miss by 20 ft....unless he was aiming for someone else.
When you have a weapon that can fire off ~10 rounds in a few seconds, you can sweep across that 20 ft. field and maybe get lucky. He likely had found a way to do some practicing though

Bunch of people are going to get themselves visits or contacts from the government.....

And that is completely fine.

I don't know how far over the line one has to cross, Brad and CO can hash that out. The Supremes long ago overruled "yelling fire in a crowded theater", so my guess it has to be more than someone saying they hope. But I have no issues with taking potential threats very seriously.

Put the idea that he wasn't the shooter on Twitter and have a million likes in five minutes.
Nah. That would be a tough sell even for the conspiracy nuts. I think the more likely horseshit (and it has probably started already) is that the security breach was deliberate and he was given an open shot. Somebody will Photoshop or AI his image at the Biden event in Detroit last week. Or claim his grandfather was on the grassy knoll in Dallas.

"Back and to the left."

Even the bullied loner part is up for question as some people are saying that's been overplayed. Who knows.

I doubt we ever know why. The FBI will use a profiler and some of the comments made, but it will be an educated guess. Who knows, maybe he left a last-second note on the phone.
I will say it is VERY odd for a 20 year old kid in 2024 to have literally ZERO presence on social media of SOME kind.

No facebook, instagram, snapchat, nothing.

Its really weird.

I can't link the CNN post directly for whatever reason, but here's a Yahoo. Long story short, even if we praise how the agents on the ground handled it in real time, whoever was in charge of planning security for the event f*cked up big time, and identified the building the shooter fired from as a potential hazard, and then left it to the locals to secure.

I can't link the CNN post directly for whatever reason, but here's a Yahoo. Long story short, even if we praise how the agents on the ground handled it in real time, whoever was in charge of planning security for the event f*cked up big time, and identified the building the shooter fired from as a potential hazard, and then left it to the locals to secure.

Leaving it to LEO doesn't bother me except it needed checked. There should be a checklist before the president comes to the podium. Is area 'X' secure? Is are 'Y' secure? That building should have been one of them. If a LEO was on that building and OK'd it, it should be fine.

Yeah, someone has to answer for that. With their job. That was inexcusable.

It just feeds the conspiracy folks. And rightfully so. It was an inexplicable oversight.

Reactions: 76-1
Leaving it to LEO doesn't bother me except it needed checked. There should be a checklist before the president comes to the podium. Is area 'X' secure? Is are 'Y' secure? That building should have been one of them. If a LEO was on that building and OK'd it, it should be fine.
To an extent, but I don't think it's enough to just divvy up different areas between the SS and the locals. I think if you identify a location as a possible threat to the protectee, you have to manage it yourself, or if you don't have enough manpower, you give it to the locals, but maintain operational control over it. You don't just outsource it.

I realize I may be interpreting events in the manner most negative for the SS, but I think that's necessary in this situation.

To an extent, but I don't think it's enough to just divvy up different areas between the SS and the locals. I think if you identify a location as a possible threat to the protectee, you have to manage it yourself, or if you don't have enough manpower, you give it to the locals, but maintain operational control over it. You don't just outsource it.

I realize I may be interpreting events in the manner most negative for the SS, but I think that's necessary in this situation.
Exactly. You don’t just tell Joe Shmoe from local LE to “cover that roof top 130 yards from the podium” and then never think about it again.

You have to make sure it’s done. Anything less is incompetence or worse.

Ultimately, if you’re the secret service, it’s YOUR responsibility to make sure the job is done.

It was incompetence at the very LEAST.

I will say it is VERY odd for a 20 year old kid in 2024 to have literally ZERO presence on social media of SOME kind.

No facebook, instagram, snapchat, nothing.

Its really weird.
Nothing about the shooting adds up at all. You can run the scenario 1000s of times and there's zero reason for anyone to ever make it on that roof...unless.

Even the Dems have to admit it's almost too comical to believe. I doubt we ever learn the truth.

Agreed.

The fact he was a bad shot, weird/troubled, and a possible conservative will fire up the conspiracy mill. I. E. He wasn’t the shooter.

My impression was that his failure to make the Jr Varsity Rifle Team was most likely as a Sophomore or a Junior in high school... The miss that was highlighted had to have been either an accidental discharge or intentional... No one can miss from the far right lane to the far left if they actually have their rifle pointed at the target... You might miss the target completely but it would still be in the same lane frame or absolutely worst case scenario the one immediately next to yours...

Not making the Team might have been his motivation to get better (hence the shooting range membership)...

Last edited:
Nothing about the shooting adds up at all. You can run the scenario 1000s of times and there's zero reason for anyone to ever make it on that roof...unless.

Even the Dems have to admit it's almost too comical to believe. I doubt we ever learn the truth.
Unless what?

Thats what bothers me. It was the IDEAL position to take a shot at Trump. There wasn’t a better spot anywhere in the venue. It’s REALLY REALLY easy to see it as a conspiracy.
Thats why there has to be an investigation.

"Pissed off?" Are you effing for real? MAGA's loving this. It's the greatest gift the Trump campaign could have possibly received. He's a super-hero now.

The pic of him with blood on his face, surrounded by Secret Service agents, and with the American flag flying above (taken by a photographer with the "failing New York Times" btw) is epic. That'll be the image from now through Election Day and beyond.
It's weird. The left, except some weirdo Hollywood types evidently, has expressed concern. Thoughts and prayers. Talked about being glad Trump is ok.

The right? High fives and beer bongs. Like Trump just won a natty. Except for the couch burning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT