ADVERTISEMENT

SHOCKER---Purdue loses in a tournament

PU puts all their focus toward a B1G title because historically that is their ceiling. I just don't see top talent on this PU team outside of Edwards to compete for the B1G title. Swanigan is not walking back through the door at PU as a player. Good optimism though. I don't see PU in the top 2 teams in the B1G.

Lol. How do you know that's where they put their focus? Sure it's nice to win that but you're kidding yourself if you really believe that. Which Edwards are you referring to? I think they both have the ability to be top end talent this year. If you don't see Purdue in the top 2, where do you see them?

Lol. How do you know that's where they put their focus? Sure it's nice to win that but you're kidding yourself if you really believe that. Which Edwards are you referring to? I think they both have the ability to be top end talent this year. If you don't see Purdue in the top 2, where do you see them?
Second through fourth or fifth, I believe, is the range for Purdue assuming no injuries. You guys return a bunch of guys, but nobody nearly as talented as Swanigan to make up what he brought to the team. You guys will definitely feel the loss of him once you get to the B10. Rebounding will be an issue. Who is your go to guy now that Swanigan is gone? When you need a bucket, who is that guy? Vince Edwards? Carsen Edwards? Not sure either of those guys are at that caliber. I'm thinking of the E'twan Moore type guys who you know could get you a bucket when you needed it. Nobody on Purdue is at that level. But I think there is enough solid guys on your team to keep you all toward the top of the conference. Essentially enough experienced guys who aren't going to beat themselves. That counts for a something. When you all weren't shooting well, you could go into Swanigan and get a bucket. When he was in trouble, you could bring in Haas and pound it down low. You don't have that backup plan this year.

Basically, I think after MSU, there are about five teams who could finish in any order and it wouldn't surprise me. Second through fifth.

There was a guy name Glenn Robinson who was not only ALL AMERICAN but THE #1 PICK in the NBA draft. How did Purdue fare the year after his departure?
And as good as Biggie was he was no Glenn Robinson. I've been watching college BB for 40 years and Purdue has a team that will challenge for a BIG title. MSU is the key. Purdue only plays them once and it's away. That game could very well decide the BIG champion.
NW won't finish ahead of Purdue. Minny is a BIG ? UM will be good. Iowa?
I think the BIG will go like: MSU, Purdue, UM, Minny, Md, Iowa, UW, NW, IU, OSU, PSU, Neb, UI, Ru.
IU could pass NW and Wisconsin. I doubt they can catch anyone else.
Edwards impressed me last year, but of course at that time he had a pulling guard (Swanigan) clearing his path. Don't know yet if he can do that without Swanigan.

It appears that Purdue has redshirted its second seven footer (Haarms) so Haas is on his own in the middle and, to be honest, there are serious questions whether Haas has the endurance to dominate (or even just be effective) for an entire game without a beast like Swanigan helping to wear down the opposition for him.

Both IU and Purdue are similar, but you have no non-fanboy reason to pick Purdue 2d and IU 9th. You'll see.

Edwards impressed me last year, but of course at that time he had a pulling guard (Swanigan) clearing his path. Don't know yet if he can do that without Swanigan.

It appears that Purdue has redshirted its second seven footer (Haarms) so Haas is on his own in the middle and, to be honest, there are serious questions whether Haas has the endurance to dominate (or even just be effective) for an entire game without a beast like Swanigan helping to wear down the opposition for him.

Both IU and Purdue are similar, but you have no non-fanboy reason to pick Purdue 2d and IU 9th. You'll see.

Haarms isn't red shirting. He redshirted last year and will be able to play this year. Not sure how much but he's eligible to play.

I don't see IU at 9th, but I certainly don't think IU will end up in the top 4 or something like that. I could see 5th or 6th for IU if everything goes well.

NW won't finish ahead of Purdue. Minny is a BIG ?

Go ahead and disregard both these teams. Don't be surprised when these comments come back to bite you in the a$$.

Minnesota returns 88% of their points and 93% of the rebounding. Nate Mason is a helluva player. NU welcomes back 6 of their top 8 (4 starters) and has Aaron Falzon and Rapolus Ivanauskas back as well. Bryant McIntosh will likely be 1st team All-B1G.

Either of these teams could finish ahead of Purdue. Not saying they will, but your dismissive analysis reeks of unwarranted arrogance.

Reactions: Hoogolf and SNU0821
I don't see IU at 9th, but I certainly don't think IU will end up in the top 4 or something like that. I could see 5th or 6th for IU if everything goes well.
Yeah, I don't disagree necessarily. The 4-8 spots are probably pretty close/competitive and we have a new coach and no top quality point guard (that we know of). IU has significant uncertainties that will take us a couple games to sort out.

But, I certainly don't see Purdue as a lockdown No. 2 and, for that matter, don't see Michigan State as an unchallenged No. 1.

Yeah? Who on your team is going to get close to being an All American? You don't even have any 1st Team All B10 locks. Edwards and Haas have the potential to make the 1st team, but it's FAR from a lock and I'd argue it's more likely that neither make it and they both end up on 2nd team.
We've got two guys projected in several mock drafts to go in the 2nd round, plus another who got the most minutes on the U19 team. Biggie, as good as he is, is NOT a better than them "by a mile".

We've got two guys projected in several mock drafts to go in the 2nd round, plus another who got the most minutes on the U19 team. Biggie, as good as he is, is NOT a better than them "by a mile".
Uh, yes he was. No player on your team is going to come close to being an All American. Nobody. There's a difference between just getting drafted and being an ALL AMERICAN and getting drafted. Do I have to explain that to you as well? You don't just lose someone like Swanigan and not miss a beat. You're a blind homer if you think so...

Nope. I think he's a solid in-game coach but he still has his flaws. I think he leaves a lot to be desired in recruiting and don't think we should go 7 years in between Sweet 16's.
You don't bring somebody back for year 13 unless you can't do any better, though.

Wasn't Swanigan a top 20 recruit? Who was the last recruit PU had that was of that caliber? Glenn Robinson? No, PU doesn't have anybody this year that is in Swanigan's ball park, let alone league, and they probably won't for another 20 years or so. So, PU perhaps finishes top 5 in the league and makes the Round of 64: who cares?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: ZildjianZLine
Uh, yes he was. No player on your team is going to come close to being an All American. Nobody. There's a difference between just getting drafted and being an ALL AMERICAN and getting drafted. Do I have to explain that to you as well? You don't just lose someone like Swanigan and not miss a beat. You're a blind homer if you think so...
NBA scouts disagree with you, as they have Vince ranked right around where Biggie was a year ago.

But I'm sure you're right. All the predictions you made on our board about Clappy's teams were really accurate...

Purdue puts all their focus on beating IU.... So you are wrong there. Beat IU once in a while and squeak into the tourney and Painter will be a lifer.

NBA scouts disagree with you, as they have Vince ranked right around where Biggie was a year ago.

Since you do appear to need to have things explained in detail, I highlighted/emphasized the text above.

Caleb Swanigan was a consensus 1st team All-American.FIRST TEAM.

Here is an early pre-season All-American team - not a single Purdue player listed. Not one.

But I'm sure you're right. All the predictions you made on our board about Clappy's teams were really accurate...

Just as "I'm sure you're right" . . . ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Only a Purdue fan can think a guy who might get drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft equates to a consensus 1st team All-American . . . o_O:D

Reactions: SNU0821
Since you do appear to need to have things explained in detail, I highlighted/emphasized the text above.

Here is an early pre-season All-American team - not a single Purdue player listed. Not one.

Only a Purdue fan can think a guy who might get drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft equates to a consensus 1st team All-American . . . o_O:D
Your Bedford Middle School education is paying dividends... never said anything about Vince being "equal" to Biggie. Do you need me to go back and highlight something for you?

Your Bedford Middle School education is paying dividends... never said anything about Vince being "equal" to Biggie. Do you need me to go back and highlight something for you?
Let's make this real simple, ok?

No player on your team is going to come close to being an All American. Nobody.

Ok, just WHO from the 2017-18 Boilers is gonna be an All-American - let alone a consensus All-American?

Let's make this real simple, ok?

Ok, just WHO from the 2017-18 Boilers is gonna be an All-American - let alone a consensus All-American?
All-American status is a biased and inaccurate metric, compared to NBA draft status. To me, someone picked at the end of the first round is not better than someone picked in the first half of the 2nd round "by a mile".

It's clear you don't watch college basketball. There is a HUGE, HUGE difference between someone who is an All American who gets drafted, and someone who just gets drafted. Are you claiming there isn't a difference? And what do you mean NBA Scouts disagree with me? That's an idiotic statement. Just because someone gets drafted or is projected to get drafted, doesn't mean they're going to be an All American. You get that, right? Lulz, hopefully? We get it man. You're a homer fanboy, we get it. At least own it and admit to just spewing nonsense without any basis in facts.

Seriously. What am I missing? How can he be so thick that he can't or doesn't understand the difference between being PROJECTED as a draft pick and being an ALL AMERICAN AND DRAFTED. It's just dumb.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
All-American status is a biased and inaccurate metric, compared to NBA draft status. To me, someone picked at the end of the first round is not better than someone picked in the first half of the 2nd round "by a mile".
Compared to DRAFT STATUS? LULZ. That' isn't a really smart position to take. Like it is dumb, not gonna lie. Everyone and their mothers know that mock draft boards are garbage. But here you are, trying to claim MOCK DRAFT BOARDS are more representative of talent than an ALL AMERICAN designation? GTFO. Lulz.

Let's just take the two players and analyze them, shall we? Vince Edwards and Caleb Swanigan. Why don't you start a poll and ask people who they would take on their team first. Guarantee the overwhelming majority of the votes would be for Swanigan. Hell, go post the poll on the national board. You'll just get embarrassed. Swanigan is hands down, BY FAR, a better player than Vince Edwards. It's not even close. It really isn't. Edwards hasn't even been drafted. He's only PROJECTED to be drafted, in the second round, which isn't any guarantee that he ACTUALLY gets drafted.

It's not even fun anymore making fun of Purdue fans. They're just getting less and less objective.

Seriously. What am I missing? How can he be so thick that he can't or doesn't understand the difference between being PROJECTED as a draft pick and being an ALL AMERICAN AND DRAFTED. It's just dumb.

And a CONSENSUS All-American to boot. ;)

Sadly, you're not missing a thing.

Reactions: Hoogolf
You don't bring somebody back for year 13 unless you can't do any better, though.

Wasn't Swanigan a top 20 recruit? Who was the last recruit PU had that was of that caliber? Glenn Robinson? No, PU doesn't have anybody this year that is in Swanigan's ball park, let alone league, and they probably won't for another 20 years or so. So, PU perhaps finishes top 5 in the league and makes the Round of 64: who cares?!?

You do if you have a new AD. If Painter falters in the next few years, I think Bobinski would pull the trigger. He's not going to fire him after his first year on the job where he saw Painter win a B1G Championship and go to the S16. But if he doesn't do nearly as well moving forward? I think he'll be gone if he can't be more consistent.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
And a CONSENSUS All-American to boot. ;)

Sadly, you're not missing a thing.

CS was more than an AA for PU... he is/was a once in a decade (or 2 decades for PU) type player. PU returns 5 really good role players who fed off CS for 2 years. It's not hard to see. Sure, PU might win 22-23 games next year & probably finishes in top 5 of the BIG. What they are affraid to admit was last year was their year to capitalize on their rare recruit, and they did not. The embarrassing loss vs KU really summed up who PU was and how bad the BIG was last year. We all know Painter lack of recruiting after CS will catch up to him soon.

Last edited:
Compared to DRAFT STATUS? LULZ. That' isn't a really smart position to take. Like it is dumb, not gonna lie. Everyone and their mothers know that mock draft boards are garbage. But here you are, trying to claim MOCK DRAFT BOARDS are more representative of talent than an ALL AMERICAN designation? GTFO. Lulz.

Let's just take the two players and analyze them, shall we? Vince Edwards and Caleb Swanigan. Why don't you start a poll and ask people who they would take on their team first. Guarantee the overwhelming majority of the votes would be for Swanigan. Hell, go post the poll on the national board. You'll just get embarrassed. Swanigan is hands down, BY FAR, a better player than Vince Edwards. It's not even close. It really isn't. Edwards hasn't even been drafted. He's only PROJECTED to be drafted, in the second round, which isn't any guarantee that he ACTUALLY gets drafted.

It's not even fun anymore making fun of Purdue fans. They're just getting less and less objective.
National Board? LOL. Yes, forget NBA scouts, let's ask the basketball geniuses on the National Board. We'll start with Borden and the LOLOLOLOL guy.

So if Vince is drafted in the top half of the 2nd round, would you still stick with your assessment that Biggie is better "by a mile"?

National Board? LOL. Yes, forget NBA scouts, let's ask the basketball geniuses on the National Board. We'll start with Borden and the LOLOLOLOL guy.

So if Vince is drafted in the top half of the 2nd round, would you still stick with your assessment that Biggie is better "by a mile"?

Yes... VE puts up stats when the game comes easy. When the game is on the line, he tends to fade. We're talking about a NPOY vs a guy who may not make all BIG 1st or 2nd team. Now other teams do not have to focus primarily on CS, they will now shift focus to both Edwards, and I just don't see VE responding. I really believe CE is your best player, but I'm affraid that he has too much Teague in him. Not a shot he does not like.

Based on your responses here, I'm fairly positive you'd be the laughing stock on any board you visit.

And yes, IF Edwards gets drafted, I will STILL take Swanigan BY A MILE. It's NOT CLOSE. Swanigan will have a long career in the NBA. Edwards will be lucky to sign a contract with a team.

I mean, Swanigan was a CONSENSUS ALL AMERICAN and NPOY Candidate. Edwards may not make the 1st Team All B10. You can't be this dumb.

Based on your responses here, I'm fairly positive you'd be the laughing stock on any board you visit.

And yes, IF Edwards gets drafted, I will STILL take Swanigan BY A MILE. It's NOT CLOSE. Swanigan will have a lo career in the NBA. Edwards will be lucky to sign a contract with a team.

I mean, Swanigan was a CONSENSUS ALL AMERICAN and NPOY Candidate. Edwards may not make the 1st Team All B10. You can't be this dumb.
Just because you would take him "by a mile" (so would I, duh) doesn't mean he's better "by a mile".

And quit bringing up metrics that involve media and SIDs voting on players. NBA draft position is a MUCH more accurate measure of a player's value. No offense to Mike DeCourcy or Andy Katz.

Yes... VE puts up stats when the game comes easy. When the game is on the line, he tends to fade. We're talking about a NPOY vs a guy who may not make all BIG 1st or 2nd team. Now other teams do not have to focus primarily on CS, they will now shift focus to both Edwards, and I just don't see VE responding. I really believe CE is your best player, but I'm affraid that he has too much Teague in him. Not a shot he does not like.
You couldn't be more wrong. Look up Vince's NCAA tournament stats. Or his stats against IU last year for that matter... after all that's our super bowl right?

Just because you would take him "by a mile" (so would I, duh) doesn't mean he's better "by a mile".

And quit bringing up metrics that involve media and SIDs voting on players. NBA draft position is a MUCH more accurate measure of a player's value. No offense to Mike DeCourcy or Andy Katz.
In what world does any basketball fan put weight in Mock Draft boards over an All American designation? No knowledgeable fan, I can tell you that. It's an idiotic argument.

Being a NPOY candidate and an All American directly speaks to the players value, talent, ability, whatever you want to call it. Vince Edwards isn't in any of those conversations. Swanigan was known to be one of the B10 POY favorites going into his sophomore year. He was talked about as a NPOY candidate. Vince Ewards isn't even a B10 1st Team lock. That alone speaks to his abilities and his value. Swanigan is/was a million times better than your boy Vince. I know it hurts your feelings, but sometimes the truth hurts.

You couldn't be more wrong. Look up Vince's NCAA tournament stats. Or his stats against IU last year for that matter... after all that's our super bowl right?

Huh... where was he vs KU? Where was he vs UM in the BTT? So you pick 1 NCAA tournament game (assuming ALR... freaking ALR!!!!) and make a judgement call. Speaking of IU, we know it's your super bowl. I mean, the piggy back rides (which was sent as a holiday card to JPC members), Haas comments on JMV and the video created from all former players prior to playing us is very telling. Too funny.

And yes, IF Edwards gets drafted, I will STILL take Swanigan BY A MILE. It's NOT CLOSE. Swanigan will have a long career in the NBA. Edwards will be lucky to sign a contract with a team.

Wanna bet?

He's doing a helluva job of trying to prove he is . . . ;)

In what world does any basketball fan put weight in Mock Draft boards over an All American designation? No knowledgeable fan, I can tell you that. It's an idiotic argument.

Being a NPOY candidate and an All American directly speaks to the players value, talent, ability, whatever you want to call it. Vince Edwards isn't in any of those conversations. Swanigan was known to be one of the B10 POY favorites going into his sophomore year. He was talked about as a NPOY candidate. Vince Ewards isn't even a B10 1st Team lock. That alone speaks to his abilities and his value. Swanigan is/was a million times better than your boy Vince. I know it hurts your feelings, but sometimes the truth hurts.
Again - don't care about any metric that is voted on. For example, the PG from Kansas who was the NPOY didn't even go in the first round!!! Where Vince is drafted will determine who is right in this debate.

Huh... where was he vs KU? Where was he vs UM in the BTT? So you pick 1 NCAA tournament game (assuming ALR... freaking ALR!!!!) and make a judgement call. Speaking of IU, we know it's your super bowl. I mean, the piggy back rides (which was sent as a holiday card to JPC members), Haas comments on JMV and the video created from all former players prior to playing us is very telling. Too funny.
let me make the math really simple for you: in FIVE NCAA tournament games, Vince is averaging 17.6 and 8. That's hardly "fading" in the big games.

Again - don't care about any metric that is voted on. For example, the PG from Kansas who was the NPOY didn't even go in the first round!!! Where Vince is drafted will determine who is right in this debate.

So everything Frank Mason did at KU was worthless because he was not drafted? IU had 2 players drafted and did not make the dance. Thomas Byrant was drafted in the 2nd round and you think his values is anywhere near CS? If I were you, I would not put a lot of stock in him getting drafted. PU fans thought CS was a lottery pick and Hammons was a 1st rounder. You think VE has better stock than AJ? AJ was picked 45th! VE is a dime a dozen for his position in the league. I hear PU fans talk about big Man U and I've yet to see bigman from PU play in the league in the past 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT