ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ project/renovation thread...

I never said all mascots are based in some meaningful story or tradition - but many are. And absent a meaningful connection to IU I don't think the bison is a very good mascot and would inevitably result in endless, "But why a buffalo?" questions. It's just contrived, unnecessary, and a misfit.
Most mascots are contrived, again, I don't know why you keep denying any connection of a Bison to our state. Did you know that ND had a dog for a mascot, and they were called the "Ramblers" at one point. The Irish and then, the Fighting Irish and then the Fightin' Irish, all contrived at some point in time.

Yes, and the reason the Bison failed in the 60's was due to lack of funding (in true IU fashion). The student senate voted overwhelmingly for a Bison as a mascot , but the administration balked at costs for obtaining, training and handling a live animal. Instead they went with the costumed human , but spent the minimal amount, so it didn't look good and had to be led around because the person inside couldn't even see where they were going. Eventually, it was dropped as people didn't find it inspirational to say the least.
That obviously didn't help, but there were signs and stuffed animals and all kinds of memorabilia (we still have some of it), but it wasn't popular and it never caught on because it lacked any significance to the University.

Why not, it doesn't stop 10 schools from having "Spartans" as their mascot. BTW, what Colorado actually has as a mascot is a Bison, not a Buffalo. There were never Buffalos on the North American continent. But if we correctly call ours a Bison, that would differentiate us from CU, problem solved.

????????????????

i'm guessing the schools with Spartans as their mascots, also have a team nickname of "Spartans".

if say the Wisc Badgers or Colorado Buffaloes had a Spartan as their mascot, that would be weird.

thus the IU Hoosiers having a buffalo or bison as a mascot, seems off to me.

that said, it's not a big deal to me either way, and if having a bison mascot made IU fans happier, so be it.

often when i see a movement out of the blue like this, and especially when IU's fan board rep weighs in like he has a dog in this fight, it's because IU is wanting to roll something out, (like say candy striped merchandise or a bison mascot).

thus, it won't shock me if IU is thinking about having a bison mascot.

if so, not a big deal to me one way or another.

i have no problem with having a mascot, i just think a bison would be awkward, both in the getup/costume itself, and in the explanation as to why a bison/buffalo. (no matter how you spin it, the bison/buffalo has no connection what so ever with IU).

hard for me to visually image a very good bison mascot getup.

i just think IU could come up with something better than a buffalo. (sorry, i mean bison).

Reactions: goody1986
????????????????

i'm guessing the schools with Spartans as their mascots, also have a team nickname of "Spartans".

if say the Wisc Badgers or Colorado Buffaloes had a Spartan as their mascot, that would be weird.

that said, it's not a big deal to me either way, and if having a bison mascot made IU fans happier, so be it.

often when i see a movement out of the blue like this, and especially when IU's fan board rep weighs in like he has a dog in this fight, it's because IU is wanting to roll something out, (like say candy striped merchandise or a bison mascot).

i have no problem with having a mascot, i just think a bison would be awkward, both in the getup/costume itself, and in the explanation as to why a bison/buffalo. (no matter how you spin it, the bison/buffalo has no connection what so ever with IU).

i just think IU could come up with something better than a buffalo. (sorry, i mean bison).
Not spinning anything, look up the Indiana Unversity coat of arms approved in 1961, guess what you will see at the top ? Apparently others believe there is a connection.

Reactions: Old Yeller 2
????????????????

Maybe we could take a guy, put him in some pants that look like wooly legs and hoof feet, then give him a cream and crimson sweater, and bison head.

Aw Hell, that would probably never look good.

fbfc563aa87349a6b0c9b7169ac6deda.jpg

????????????????

I don't know where anybody found this either

ThumbnailHandler.ashx

That obviously didn't help, but there were signs and stuffed animals and all kinds of memorabilia (we still have some of it), but it wasn't popular and it never caught on because it lacked any significance to the University.
I beg to differ, we still have some of it also, if it didn't catch on I'm surprised you bought it.
It has been pretty effective at Nick's for decades

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
If IU makes another stab at adopting the Bison mascot it might appear that Nick's is a title sponsor for IU FB.

I beg to differ, we still have some of it also, if it didn't catch on I'm surprised you bought it.
It has been pretty effective at Nick's for decades
Being effective at a bar and as the school's mascot are obviously quite different. The simple fact is IU tried to make the bison work as a mascot and it didn't catch on. Anyone who's followed the program for decades knows this.

Being effective at a bar and as the school's mascot are obviously quite different. The simple fact is IU tried to make the bison work as a mascot and it didn't catch on. Anyone who's followed the program for decades knows this.
As I explained above, the reason it didn't work was due to a lack of funding, and doing it properly. Even so, you apparently felt it was a good idea as you readily admit to still owning some of the memorabilia.

Wonder if he told Tom Allen he is not expecting a breakthrough? CTA may not let him in the stadium.
Lol. But I get the comment. The AD hasn't exactly hit it out of the park with his major sport HC hires and/or contract extensions. If he publicly declares that this is the football team's breakthrough season, and that doesn't happen, he's setting himself (and the HC) up for some heat. I've got to think, though, that there's a lot of optimism behind the scenes. IU has a defense for the first time in decades and that is, literally, a game-changer.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
As I explained above, the reason it didn't work was due to a lack of funding, and doing it properly. Even so, you apparently felt it was a good idea as you readily admit to still owning some of the memorabilia.
A lack of funding may have been an issue initially in terms of securing an animal, but that wasn't why it didn't resonate with IU fans. It simply lacked any attachment or significance for people, and they rejected it as a result. I guess you had to be a fan then to understand.

A lack of funding may have been an issue initially in terms of securing an animal, but that wasn't why it didn't resonate with IU fans. It simply lacked any attachment or significance for people, and they rejected it as a result. I guess you had to be a fan then to understand.
Well, that is your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but those of us that were around at the time, know the symbol was popular. The way it was done was not.
You still have not explained why a person of your intelligence and IU experience owned (and still owns) Bison memorabilia .If as you say, it didn't resonate with fans and lacked significance for people, then either you weren't a fan or you felt it had significance. Either way you are being disingenuous, no time to waste on you today, so go ahead and fire away to your hearts content.

Well, that is your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but those of us that were around at the time, know the symbol was popular. The way it was done was not.
You still have not explained why a person of your intelligence and IU experience owned (and still owns) Bison memorabilia .If as you say, it didn't resonate with fans and lacked significance for people, then either you weren't a fan or you felt it had significance. Either way you are being disingenuous, no time to waste on you today, so go ahead and fire away to your hearts content.
They were readily available in the Union and the Foundation (you know where that was, right?). Shirts, stuffed animals, posters, paperweights . . . they weren't hard to come by. And then, POOF!, they went away because it never caught on. You keep trying to argue that an otherwise wildly popular mascot vanished into thin air because everyone loved it so much, but it didn't happen that way.

Interesting cutbacks, but still the arms race continues !

And....to go off on another tangent here, the University of Illinois was forced to get rid of its mascot, Chief Illiniwek, and fans there are still pissed about it.

Some people call the mascot idea contrived. These are the same people that could not deal with advertising and a new scoreboard at Simon Skodjt Hall. And, they cannot fathom AH having a donor's name above the entrance. It's human nature to resist change.

Hey....the lack of a mascot hasn't exactly brought any good fortune to our athletics program. There is no mystique about the void.

It's really about people not being comfortable with anything other than the status quo....even if the status quo was a half century of futility.

And....to go off on another tangent here, the University of Illinois was forced to get rid of its mascot, Chief Illiniwek, and fans there are still pissed about it.

Some people call the mascot idea contrived. These are the same people that could not deal with advertising and a new scoreboard at Simon Skodjt Hall. And, they cannot fathom AH having a donor's name above the entrance. It's human nature to resist change.

Hey....the lack of a mascot hasn't exactly brought any good fortune to our athletics program. There is no mystique about the void.

It's really about people not being comfortable with anything other than the status quo....even if the status quo was a half century of futility.

To keep things in perspective, in DC drivers can now opt "gender neutral" on their drivers license. Great we focus on what really matters...

Kinda hate to block those classic towers, but it looks like another state of the art unit.
The board won't block the towers that it's between. It will stop at the glass. The larger towers behind it will still be seen from most angles as well. Basically, take the previous old scoreboard and go up 10-15 feet. It's not going to be mammoth like the one in the south end zone will be.

The board won't block the towers that it's between. It will stop at the glass. The larger towers behind it will still be seen from most angles as well. Basically, take the previous old scoreboard and go up 10-15 feet. It's not going to be mammoth like the one in the south end zone will be.

Will the south board be as big as the one they just took out? Is that one still in storage or was it sold to another university or pro team?

I'm probably in the minority on the board but the majority of Hoosiers in being unsupportive of the bison as a mascot. Just seems totally unrelated to IU. Stretching to make a state tie an IU tie where it's just not natural. Being Hoosiers seems tough enough for folks to understand - don't think adding a bison to it will help make anything clearer. I'd rather have no mascot than the wrong mascot.
Are you a Hoosier?
A Hoosier is native born in Indiana.
Did you see the image of the State Seal posted earlier?
No connection?
Really?

Reactions: Old Yeller 2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT