ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ project/renovation thread...

Hey Hoosier fans. Rutgers fan coming in peace.

Stumbled upon this stadium renovation project and it looks great. Seems that the Big Ten has its own facilities arm race going on -- which I guess is what happens when you hand people parking lots full of money.

So what does this current renovation bring and what's in the plans for years to come?

We just re-did our football weight room (few mil private funding), built a very basic indoor baseball practice facility and a very nice football practice complex (8.5 mil private funding). A multi sport complex is getting started next year as well.

Lots of improvements but we still have some major areas of improvement in this never ending race.

18_D9_B5_E8-76_A4-415_A-_A858-475_CDF99_C0_B8.jpg

4_CD1_EAE7-84_C3-4_BB4-9984-_D91_C33_C9_DDDD.jpg

58_F78447-378_A-44_B3-8996-_F11_BC8_B4136_D.jpg

CC85_C020-7816-4_E08-_A665-_B396_AC25_FB37.jpg

IMG_8084.png

For the future, I know that they would like to build a new press box/add more suites. There is potential to easily add more seating to the top of our east side, as it is shorter than the west side, but that's a ways off. Attendance is getting better though.

This is a good detailed explaination:

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/4/2...king-for-iu-athletics-excellence-academy.aspx

We enclosed our north end zone in 2009, and added a hall of champions, a new 25,000 square-foot weight room, a new football complex/offices, offices for the athletic department, and a new 20,000 square-foot academic center under the east stands:

IMG_9248.jpg

4581_E860-2_D62-4339-_BFC9-_C2_CE25851_DD1.jpg

5_E7_E4_B1_B-508_A-465_C-_B746-8_A7_D87_B93_B50.jpg

A9886_F70-91_CA-4_C86-9_C42-_CEA9_D63_D636_A.jpg

The current south end zone project on the other side of the stadium will be completed next July. It goes into more detail/renderings in the link I provided at the top of my post, but the main focus will be a new sport science facility, a new nutrition/dining hall for the athletes, a new health/rehabilitation center, a new career services/counseling center, a new club area for fans, and a rooftop terrace for fans.

A new videoboard was added in the north end zone for this year, and a larger videoboard will be added to the south end zone next summer. The older concessions/restrooms in the stadium, along with the press box and stadium club, will be renovated to be up to ADA standards. More ADA seating will also be added to the west and east stands. It will also allow for the football locker room to be expanded and renovated, and for a new football players lounge to be built...
What can I say, but that this is a fantastic, detailed synopsis of what we are adding to enclose our stadium! I am sure that our Rutgers visitor appreciates your taking time to post this for him.
My wish is that you would consider including all of this in a fresh thread on both our boards for every poster and visitor to see. These photos here are truly special! Thanks so much.

Reactions: ruready07 and RBB89
What can I say, but that this is a fantastic, detailed synopsis of what we are adding to enclose our stadium! I am sure that our Rutgers visitor appreciates your taking time to post this for him.
My wish is that you would consider including all of this in a fresh thread on both our boards for every poster and visitor to see. These photos here are truly special! Thanks so much.
Gracias! :)

Level 3, going up!

IMG_9324.jpg

Love the updates. I'm very excited for the project. Can't help but think they missed an opportunity to replace some bench seating with chairback seating in other parts of the stadium with this project. Could have kept the stadium capacity the same by moving any lost seating to the new SEZ area, which would have helped fill in some of the awkward negative/beige space in the addition. I'm incredibly happy that the players are getting what they need, but I've always found this project design a bit disjointed from the rest of the stadium.

Wow, you guys are really cooking. The facilities look great.

(Damn)
Thanks. Us IU fans waited a mighty long time for our administration to begin to make a commitment to support football so that we could be more competitive. With significant help from the BTN, we finally are getting there. It is so gratifying to see. Rutgers too seems to be making headway in the right direction.

This is a good detailed explaination:

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/4/2...king-for-iu-athletics-excellence-academy.aspx

We enclosed our north end zone in 2009, and added a hall of champions, a new 25,000 square-foot weight room, a new football complex/offices, offices for the athletic department, and a new 20,000 square-foot academic center under the east stands:

IMG_9248.jpg

4581_E860-2_D62-4339-_BFC9-_C2_CE25851_DD1.jpg

5_E7_E4_B1_B-508_A-465_C-_B746-8_A7_D87_B93_B50.jpg

A9886_F70-91_CA-4_C86-9_C42-_CEA9_D63_D636_A.jpg

The current south end zone project on the other side of the stadium will be completed next July. It goes into more detail/renderings in the link I provided at the top of my post, but the main focus will be a new sport science facility, a new nutrition/dining hall for the athletes, a new health/rehabilitation center, a new career services/counseling center, a new club area for fans, and a rooftop terrace for fans.

A new videoboard was added in the north end zone for this year, and a larger videoboard will be added to the south end zone next summer. The older concessions/restrooms in the stadium, along with the press box and stadium club, will be renovated to be up to ADA standards. More ADA seating will also be added to the west and east stands. It will also allow for the football locker room to be expanded and renovated, and for a new football players lounge to be built...

I love the first pic in this post; the exterior shot of the NEZ. I think it is beautiful from both inside and outside the stadium.

Reactions: RBB89
Thanks. Us IU fans waited a mighty long time for our administration to begin to make a commitment to support football so that we could be more competitive. With significant help from the BTN, we finally are getting there. It is so gratifying to see. Rutgers too seems to be making headway in the right direction.

Know this about Rutgers: The last couple years have been the worst we've had in over a decade and totally not representative of who we are. The coach we had, Kyle Flood, that took over for Greg Schiano, really destroyed the program and now we have a young, relentless worker in Chris Ash that is rebuilding.
We can put together good teams fairly easily - nice facilities, good football culture in the state and a very solid home recruiting base. We're restocking the depth chart and by the 2018 season should be back to being a bowl team.

RU, Indiana, Maryland and MSU will be battling for years to come - Its going to be awesome.

Hoosier Room for donors on gameday/athletes dining hall, old and new (there will be outdoor seats like the ones up by the Hall Of Champions and tables in front of this area and the adjacent suite):

ECF88_DB5-486_B-4220-_A22_E-3_EE5_C385_B337.jpg

8_E04_FB87-_A64_E-4_F44-_A32_D-_D4_EFD70_EB3_DB.jpg

Wider view of rooftop terrace...Will have restrooms and two concession areas (one regular stand and one grill type stand underneath the scoreboard):

IMG_9503.jpg

The new temporary score board/play clock is up in the south end zone. They are also putting in more turf at the edge of the south end of the field until they can put in the track surface once the project is done. They installed a new play clock in the north end zone as well. Also, you can see that Marching Hundred Hall is nearing completion at the top of the photo:

Last edited:
Purdue's new locker room looks very nice. Just for reference, I suspect what we get will be similar in terms of an open layout. Work on our new locker room/player lounge will begin next summer once the Hoosier Room is vacated and all that stuff is moved over to the south end zone. Will free up a lot of space for the team.

Purdue's new locker room looks very nice. Just for reference, I suspect what we get will be similar in terms of an open layout. Work on our new locker room/player lounge will begin next summer once the Hoosier Room is vacated and all that stuff is moved over to the south end zone. Will free up a lot of space for the team.

Yep it is fantastic. Not sure if you saw the video but it's unreal. All of the lights are up too at R-A which look great. A great start and I can't wait until we start on the R-A renovations.

Yep it is fantastic. Not sure if you saw the video but it's unreal. All of the lights are up too at R-A which look great. A great start and I can't wait until we start on the R-A renovations.

In have been away from the PU games and fans since my kid graduated. There was some heated debate about switching to field turf. Where is that debate today?

Though one thing to note about this new locker room is that it is in their new sports performance facility addition, which is across the street from Ross Ade and about 500-600 feet away from the field. It would be like IU having their football locker room in Assembly Hall. Their previous locker room was also across the street but about half the distance away from the field that the current one is. The current one is so far away, they have put a smaller meeting space inside the stadium for use during pre-game and halftime.

Last edited:
Though one thing to note about this new locker room is that it is in their new sports performance facility addition, which is across the street from Ross Ade and about 500-600 feet away from the field. It would be like IU having their football locker room in Assembly Hall. Their previous locker room was also across the street but about half the distance away from the field that the current one is. The current one is so far away, they have put a smaller meeting space inside the stadium for use during pre-game and halftime.
Well that's dumb.

Well that's dumb.

Yep

I kinda get why they did it, you only get 6-8 game days a year, so it makes sense to have something close to practice fields/facility since those get used on an almost daily basis, but you think they would have come up with a better compromise. I believe there is a plan to include a similar game day locker room whenever they build their SEZ addition, but that's clearly YEARS away, if not close to a decade or more.

Ultimately, I think this really highlights the need for quality long term facility planning, which Purdue clearly has not had.

Last edited:
Yep

I kinda get why they did it, you only get 6-8 game days a year, so it makes sense to have something close to practice fields/facility since those get used on an almost daily basis, but you think they would have come up with a better compromise. I believe there is a plan to include a similar game day locker room whenever they build their SEZ addition, but that's clearly YEARS away, if not close to a decade or more.

Ultimately, I think this really highlights the need for quality long term facility planning, which Purdue clearly has not had.

Yep it pretty much sums up how bad things were under the previous regime. The new locker room is tremendous but I believe the plan is to include another locker room once the SEZ addition is completed.

Yep it pretty much sums up how bad things were under the previous regime. The new locker room is tremendous but I believe the plan is to include another locker room once the SEZ addition is completed.

You never answer my question above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT