ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ project/renovation thread...

I'm probably in the minority on the board but the majority of Hoosiers in being unsupportive of the bison as a mascot. Just seems totally unrelated to IU. Stretching to make a state tie an IU tie where it's just not natural. Being Hoosiers seems tough enough for folks to understand - don't think adding a bison to it will help make anything clearer. I'd rather have no mascot than the wrong mascot.
Then apparently you are unaware of the history of Bison in our state. If you don't want it as a mascot, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please don't say there isn't a state tie. It's on our state seal for crying out loud, Nick's stole their mascot from IU, it was our mascot at IU in the past. For me personally, having no mascot at all is dumb, it would certainly add to game day atmosphere and provide a source of revenue for IU.

I'm probably in the minority on the board but the majority of Hoosiers in being unsupportive of the bison as a mascot. Just seems totally unrelated to IU. Stretching to make a state tie an IU tie where it's just not natural. Being Hoosiers seems tough enough for folks to understand - don't think adding a bison to it will help make anything clearer. I'd rather have no mascot than the wrong mascot.
They've used a bison (a real one and a fake one) a couple of times in the past, going way back. Nick's mascot is still a bison. There is a connection.

Reactions: muubell
I would love to see a (small) herd of life-sized Bison w/ a couple calves,
cast in bronze in that plaza at the entrance of the SEZ. The grassy area would be cool too. Since we do not have an official mascot and the Bison has always been a sort of de-facto symbol. I think it would be cool. People / kids could rub em for luck and climb on for pics. Just a pipe dream. I'd donate a few bucks...Thoughts???

I think IU not having a mascot is dumb. It's not unique. It's a lost opportunity to sell an identity for the university. Always wanted the bison.
People will argue the merits of the bison itself but how is it worse or more conflicting than a university like Auburn who calls itself the "Tigers" but brings out a "war eagle?" How about Stanford. They parade around a foam tree but call themselves "The Cardinal."

We are the only Big Ten school without a mascot and opposing fans find it backward and laughable.

I think IU not having a mascot is dumb. It's not unique. It's a lost opportunity to sell an identity for the university. Always wanted the bison.
People will argue the merits of the bison itself but how is it worse or more conflicting than a university like Auburn who calls itself the "Tigers" but brings out a "war eagle?" How about Stanford. They parade around a foam tree but call themselves "The Cardinal."

We are the only Big Ten school without a mascot and opposing fans find it backward and laughable.
Michigan doesn't have a mascot.

I am all for a bison though.

NEZ videoboard going up:

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

Source:

the whole bison thing is ridiculous.

tried that decades ago, and there's a good reason it's been gone for decades.

has nothing to do with IU

and while we're at it, get the ridiculous state flag thing off the helmets as well, and put the IU interlock back there where it should be.

the state flag thing has nothing to do with IU either.

we have one of the better known school logos, (the IU interlock), use it.

does anyone outside the Indiana statehouse have the slightest idea what that state flag thing represents.

doesn't seem like what logo should go on IU's helmets should exactly be rocket science.

the IU interlock or the block I.

can we please quit over thinking the obvious.

Reactions: drose and goody1986

and while we're at it, get the ridiculous state flag thing off the helmets as well, and put the IU interlock back there where it should be.

does anyone outside the Indiana statehouse have the slightest idea what that state flag thing represents.

doesn't seem like what logo should go on IU's helmets should exactly be rocket science.

"MY OPINION IS BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE'S AND EVERYONE ELSE IS STUPID."

They aren't changing the unis anytime soon, so this rant that you've posted a dozen times is pointless.

IMG_7692.jpg

Bonus: I'm not sure I've ever seen a panoramic photo of Mellencamp Pavilion, so here you go:

IMG_7688.jpg

What do Wildcats have to do with Northwestern, or Badgers with UW, or Spartans with MSU ? Again, if you don't like a Bison as a mascot, that is fine, but to say a Bison has nothing to do with our state is false. They used to cover our state, and have as much to do with IU and Indiana as most other mascots have to do with their schools.

Michigan doesn't have a mascot.

I am all for a bison though.

They actually did on at least 2 occasions and one was dangerous as the mascot was a live wolverine acquired by Fielding Yost. It became uncontrollable. Then there was Willy:

willy-the-mascot-180x180.jpg

Fans complained that he blocked view of the game play. Previous AD Dave Brandon did say:
"I'm struck by the fact that when opposing teams come to our stadium, and they bring a mascot, all of our young fans are lined up to see if they can get a picture taken with it, whether it's the Penn State Nittany Lion or Sparty," Brandon said. "That's a little annoying to me. You can't get your picture taken with a Block M. Mascots are really embraced by the youth demographic, and we want to take advantage of that, for all the reasons that are obvious. ...

"We're interested in doing a mascot but it has to be something that fans love, that children love and everyone can embrace."

If for anything, do it for the youth movement, not for the grumpy old people.

They actually did on at least 2 occasions and one was dangerous as the mascot was a live wolverine acquired by Fielding Yost. It became uncontrollable. Then there was Willy:

Fans complained that he blocked view of the game play. Previous AD Dave Brandon did say:
"I'm struck by the fact that when opposing teams come to our stadium, and they bring a mascot, all of our young fans are lined up to see if they can get a picture taken with it, whether it's the Penn State Nittany Lion or Sparty," Brandon said. "That's a little annoying to me. You can't get your picture taken with a Block M. Mascots are really embraced by the youth demographic, and we want to take advantage of that, for all the reasons that are obvious. ...

"We're interested in doing a mascot but it has to be something that fans love, that children love and everyone can embrace."

If for anything, do it for the youth movement, not for the grumpy old people.
Agree. Totally on board with a bison. I would love a real one, and then a goofy cartoony one for the kids. It's entertainment, and there is a connection.

Just not these:

CFE18824-_DBDE-4339-925_E-5_AC714459_AFD.jpg

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Agree. Totally on board with a bison. I would love a real one, and then a goofy cartoony one for the kids. It's entertainment, and there is a connection.

Just not these:

CFE18824-_DBDE-4339-925_E-5_AC714459_AFD.jpg

The one and only year we brought out Hoosier Pride, 1979......we went to a bowl for the first time in 11 seasons.

He was creepy but he was good luck.
mascot.gif

Like Freddie Kruger in the boiler room.

The 1965 Bison was also disturbing
26737_0000-Bi-1357575722p.jpg

This thing looks like a paper mache art project.

Reactions: RBB89

There are reasons to have a mascot, what opposing fans think...is not one of them.

Putting a Bison on the field now will create no emotional connection for a generation, for most of us it would seems contrived.

The "mascot" for me is the global IU brand in everything from athletics, to business, to medicine, law, the arts and evnvironment all bundled on the greatest campus in the country.

Put the critter on the field and 20 years from now, the students and alumni will beam with pride over old what's his name...

Reactions: YOTHN
Then apparently you are unaware of the history of Bison in our state. If you don't want it as a mascot, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please don't say there isn't a state tie. It's on our state seal for crying out loud, Nick's stole their mascot from IU, it was our mascot at IU in the past. For me personally, having no mascot at all is dumb, it would certainly add to game day atmosphere and provide a source of revenue for IU.

That's actually not what I said. I know the bison is on our state seal. As I said, just because it's iconography related to the state (that few in 2017 would recognize anyway) doesn't mean it's iconography appropriate for the university. It's drummed up because folks are grasping at a mascot when nothing is a natural fit. We would be wise to acknowledge that it's not a natural fit and move away from that concept. It's been forced on the university in the past and failed because it just doesn't make sense.

What do Wildcats have to do with Northwestern, or Badgers with UW, or Spartans with MSU ? Again, if you don't like a Bison as a mascot, that is fine, but to say a Bison has nothing to do with our state is false. They used to cover our state, and have as much to do with IU and Indiana as most other mascots have to do with their schools.

Here's the thing...we're not the Indiana Bison. We're the Indiana Hoosiers. The other schools you listed don't have that problem. Bison didn't roam free in Indiana for over 200 years until a recent and small conservation project in Kankakee Sands.

Here's the thing...we're not the Indiana Bison. We're the Indiana Hoosiers. The other schools you listed don't have that problem. Bison didn't roam free in Indiana for over 200 years until a recent and small conservation project in Kankakee Sands.
And Alabama is the Crimson Tide, yet they have an elephant as a mascot, there are no official rules to having a mascot. The number of years it has been since Bison roamed freely here is irrelevant, the point is they are part of the history of the state, as depicted in the state seal.

Does a huge-headed bald Gomer with vacant eyes and no nipples have anything to do with PU?

Oh wait.

I don't mind the state logo on the helmet or the center of the field.

IU is the flagship University in this state and we help to significantly bolster the sometimes spotty reputation of the state.

And Alabama is the Crimson Tide, yet they have an elephant as a mascot, there are no official rules to having a mascot. The number of years it has been since Bison roamed freely here is irrelevant, the point is they are part of the history of the state, as depicted in the state seal.

You do provide a good example, but both the Crimson Tide and the elephant are tied to UA history. They were born of UA, not something IU could say about the bison. There is no interesting origin story. While it doesn't bother me at all that we don't have a mascot, I'm not opposed to having one, but I am opposed to this one. As has already been mentioned, why such insistence over a mascot and connection that has already failed once? Experience has proven that it doesn't engender an appreciated connection to the university.

Also, can we have more SEZ updates?

The photo that you use was a one-off creation/prank by MSU to have something for Sparty to bowl over and clown on (probably in the late 90s).

Michigan has started to reuse a Wolverine illustration that was prominent in the 1960s, but has not created a mascot from it....yet. If Michigan ever moves in that direction, I predict it will prowl the sidelines and spectator seats for sports like women's basketball, baseball, volleyball, lacrosse and other sports with a higher concentration of kids as patrons

You do provide a good example, but both the Crimson Tide and the elephant are tied to UA history. They were born of UA, not something IU could say about the bison. There is no interesting origin story. While it doesn't bother me at all that we don't have a mascot, I'm not opposed to having one, but I am opposed to this one. As has already been mentioned, why such insistence over a mascot and connection that has already failed once? Experience has proven that it doesn't engender an appreciated connection to the university.

Sure. Know anything about audio equipment?

IMG_7803.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

Want to look through dozens of blueprints/plans for the entire project?

https://eplanroom.reprographix.com/...42017&userid=demo&process=th2ki.6i.qxiY&site=

https://eplanroom.reprographix.com/...12017&userid=demo&process=th2ki.6i.qxiY&site=

No pics today. :(

The only "history" is some sportswriter in like 1930 calling the UA lineman the red elephants due to their size. Wow, that's a rich tradition.
Again, it's fine for you to be opposed to the Bison idea, I'm sure you aren't alone . But you are off base if you think all school mascots are based in some meaningful story or tradition, they're mascots ! It's supposed to be fun/entertaining, I was going to IU games when the Bison was our mascot and never heard 1 complaint. Quite sure you will never get everyone to agree on anything as a mascot, so likely you will get your wish and nothing ever happens. Just think it is a big marketing opportunity missed .

would anyone want a "BUFFALO" as IU's mascot.

if IU had such a mascot, everyone's going to ask themselves "WTF's the deal with the buffalo, i thought that was Colorado".

if IU had such a mascot, everyone's going to ask themselves "WTF's the deal with the buffalo, i thought that was Colorado".
Why not, it doesn't stop 10 schools from having "Spartans" as their mascot. BTW, what Colorado actually has as a mascot is a Bison, not a Buffalo. There were never Buffalos on the North American continent. But if we correctly call ours a Bison, that would differentiate us from CU, problem solved.

It would be viewed as contrived. Previous efforts to create a mascot have failed for a reason.

It would be viewed as contrived. Previous efforts to create a mascot have failed for a reason.
Yes, and the reason the Bison failed in the 60's was due to lack of funding (in true IU fashion). The student senate voted overwhelmingly for a Bison as a mascot , but the administration balked at costs for obtaining, training and handling a live animal. Instead they went with the costumed human , but spent the minimal amount, so it didn't look good and had to be led around because the person inside couldn't even see where they were going. Eventually, it was dropped as people didn't find it inspirational to say the least.

The only "history" is some sportswriter in like 1930 calling the UA lineman the red elephants due to their size. Wow, that's a rich tradition.
Again, it's fine for you to be opposed to the Bison idea, I'm sure you aren't alone . But you are off base if you think all school mascots are based in some meaningful story or tradition, they're mascots ! It's supposed to be fun/entertaining, I was going to IU games when the Bison was our mascot and never heard 1 complaint. Quite sure you will never get everyone to agree on anything as a mascot, so likely you will get your wish and nothing ever happens. Just think it is a big marketing opportunity missed .

I never said all mascots are based in some meaningful story or tradition - but many are. And absent a meaningful connection to IU I don't think the bison is a very good mascot and would inevitably result in endless, "But why a buffalo?" questions. It's just contrived, unnecessary, and a misfit.

I never said all mascots are based in some meaningful story or tradition - but many are. And absent a meaningful connection to IU I don't think the bison is a very good mascot and would inevitably result in endless, "But why a buffalo?" questions. It's just contrived, unnecessary, and a misfit.

But again, you can say "why *enter mascot here*" for a lot of universities. Stanford has a daggum tree as a mascot. If it gets people questioning it then its getting peoples attention. That is the true point of the mascot. We should honestly make it COMPLETELY out there and therefore become an instant icon.

Abe Lincoln was from Indiana. Let's have Lincoln Financial sponsor our mascot and instead credibility. Someone going to mock Honest Abe? ha Let's make our mascot a Fidget Spinner! Then we will get the attention of the youth. No but in all reality, I think we could make something fun yet outlandish to have on the sideline. Make it a dang rock. I mean Syracuse has an orange? No matter what we have, it won't impact the performance of the team. But the performance of the team could impact the value of the mascot. It's a break-even/win scenario.

Reactions: GoBigRed1983
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT