ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ project/renovation thread...

Pretty cool aerial view. You can also see the progress of marching hundred hall across the street from Assembly Hall.

Reactions: ESalum86
Reactions: RBB89
Here's a better way to view all the renderings for the project, as the IU site's photo gallery is kind of, well, crappy:

https://ourindiana.exposure.co/iu-excellence-academy-renderings

One cool thing I've noticed about the terrace level is that there will be 2 concession stands: one normal stand, and another centrally located one under an overhang in kind of an open grill type set up. And restrooms of course. I believe there will be two elevators and two sets of steps to get up there.

Reactions: muubell and All4UIU
North scoreboard is completely gone now:

IMG_7148.jpg

Man... our golf course does need some updates. As the southernmost B10 school we should be better.
They're literally starting all over. Construction should start in the fall, and is expected to be finished by the fall of 2019. The estimated cost, last I heard, was $11 million.

Preliminary Rendering (some of the par numbers got mixed up in the back nine on the scorecard):

http://www.stevesmyers.com/IU Concept Route 12-2-16.pdf

Architect's Website:

http://www.stevesmyers.com/currentprojects.html

Great posts. I do love these pics of the NEZ, and have always liked the tunnel out to the practice fields (that was Hep's idea I think). It lit up at night, and being up close is pretty powerful.

2qwinug.jpg

You're right though, being able to approach it from straight on would be spectacular, and fortunately, we'll get that like you all said with the SEZ. We're very fortunate to have so much parking, but more green space is always welcome in my opinion. It can only help tailgating. Very inviting to walk up to this...

2dgrnrp.jpg
This is going to be a very nice stadium. I'd like to see how it looks sold out!

Reactions: RBB89
I would love to see a (small) herd of life-sized Bison w/ a couple calves,
cast in bronze in that plaza at the entrance of the SEZ. The grassy area would be cool too. Since we do not have an official mascot and the Bison has always been a sort of de-facto symbol. I think it would be cool. People / kids could rub em for luck and climb on for pics. Just a pipe dream. I'd donate a few bucks...Thoughts???

I see imi is there.
Anybody know what ever became from the fallout of that price fixing thing that happened years ago with them? It was a pretty big deal in the state.

You can google it all, but fines and prison sentences for multiple execs of multiple companies including Builders Concrete. Biggest Corp fine was $30MM

cast in bronze in that plaza at the entrance of the SEZ. The grassy area would be cool too. Since we do not have an official mascot and the Bison has always been a sort of de-facto symbol. I think it would be cool. People / kids could rub em for luck and climb on for pics. Just a pipe dream. I'd donate a few bucks...Thoughts???
I would love that

Reactions: JohnsyRick and 76-1

That's a great idea.

Reactions: 76-1 and RBB89
That's a great idea.
In all seriousness, you should send this to Fred Glass or Jeremy Gray. They will absolutely respond. Or maybe suggest some small ways to continue to incorporate the bison without having an actual mascot. I like that they use it on the video board, but if they're going to use it, they should really brand it and spread it out a little more.

They are also starting to power wash the interior of the stadium.

I'd love it. I'm all in on all things bison. In fact, I'd love to see the D adopt a bison-related gesture.
In Dances with Wolves, when the Costner character is communicating with the tribe that he saw bison, the chief puts both hands around the sides of his forehead, imitating a bison head and horns, and says "tatonka," the tribe's word for bison. I think it would be a great gesture and tatonka a great battle cry after a monster hit . . . like Gooch's on the opening kickoff of the bowl game.

Edit: Gesture at around 1:20 in this clip

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling and RBB89
Good look inside the weight room and then out onto the field looking out to the construction:

I'd love it. I'm all in on all things bison. In fact, I'd love to see the D adopt a bison-related gesture.
In Dances with Wolves, when the Costner character is communicating with the tribe that he saw bison, the chief puts both hands around the sides of his forehead, imitating a bison head and horns, and says "tatonka," the tribe's word for bison. I think it would be a great gesture and tatonka a great battle cry after a monster hit . . . like Gooch's on the opening kickoff of the bowl game.

Edit: Gesture at around 1:20 in this clip
This is a fantastic idea! Please send that clip and idea to Glass and to Jeremy Gray. The bison herd at the front of the SEZ would be just the right touch and could launch the Tatonka connection.
This is a superb idea that must be forwarded to the people who have the power to turn this into reality!

This is a fantastic idea! Please send that clip and idea to Glass and to Jeremy Gray. The bison herd at the front of the SEZ would be just the right touch and could launch the Tatonka connection.

This is a superb idea that must be forwarded to the people who have the power to turn this into reality!
Sigh... Myself and a friend tried to push the adoption of the Bison as a mascot all the way back to Greenspan, it just falls on deaf ears. There is a bison farm just outside Btown, the owner offered to separate 2 calves from the herd (which apparently allows them to be more domesticated) and transport 1 to and from Memorial Stadium on game days. We had the IU ROTC unit (fightin Bison) on board to be trained and handle the animal on game days etc. Nothing, think Greenspan just wanted to eat the Bison. We brought it up again with FG, he is all for it, but said, "it will take time". Well, I can't even remember how long ago that was, supposedly one of the trustees was against the idea. Anyway, when the pre-game video showed up, I had hope, but nothing more has materialized. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

Sigh... Myself and a friend tried to push the adoption of the Bison as a mascot all the way back to Greenspan, it just falls on deaf ears. There is a bison farm just outside Btown, the owner offered to separate 2 calves from the herd (which apparently allows them to be more domesticated) and transport 1 to and from Memorial Stadium on game days. We had the IU ROTC unit (fightin Bison) on board to be trained and handle the animal on game days etc. Nothing, think Greenspan just wanted to eat the Bison. We brought it up again with FG, he is all for it, but said, "it will take time". Well, I can't even remember how long ago that was, supposedly one of the trustees was against the idea. Anyway, when the pre-game video showed up, I had hope, but nothing more has materialized. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.
Wow, this actually sounds promising to me. I say pitch the idea to Coach Allen. And if one trustee is all that's in the way, remind Fred Glass that when CTA was introduced as head coach, Glass basically promised he'd go to the mattresses for the football program. Direct CTA and Fred to this thread for some ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling and MrBing

I'm probably in the minority on the board but the majority of Hoosiers in being unsupportive of the bison as a mascot. Just seems totally unrelated to IU. Stretching to make a state tie an IU tie where it's just not natural. Being Hoosiers seems tough enough for folks to understand - don't think adding a bison to it will help make anything clearer. I'd rather have no mascot than the wrong mascot.

Reactions: drose
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT