ADVERTISEMENT

Scoreboard is coming down...

I have not heard up who bought it. Still a better vid board than most big stadiums.

I was hoping we could move it over to The Bart. The scoreboard we have there now is kind of pitiful.

If its not already sold, that would be cool for fans and players alike. I assume it takes a fairly skilled operator(s).

Guess I didn't read the info on the latest renovation close enough.
Did not realize we are getting a new scoreboard in the deal. That's awesome, assume it wiil be up and functional by next season?

Did not realize we are getting a new scoreboard in the deal. That's awesome, assume it wiil be up and functional by next season?

Well, I think this one just had to come down to clear space for the new construction. I'm not sure if the new one with be ready by next season, but I believe in addition to the new SEZ scoreboard, the overall plan included installation of a smaller one on top of the NEZ. That will likely get put up before the season so there's at least something.

Also, its probably just more cost effective to sell this one and buy a new one than to put it in storage for a year and a half and then reinstall.

Reactions: RBB89 and CC Mac
Well, since UT just scored more points last season than anytime in their 120 year history, I think the scoreboards will need to be working just fine.
Can we get their QB he was the difference not the coach if IU had him would have averaged over 40 a game and gone 9-3 he beat Neb in the bowl game by himself...............

Reactions: Chriselli
Can we get their QB he was the difference not the coach if IU had him would have averaged over 40 a game and gone 9-3 he beat Neb in the bowl game by himself...............
Joshua Dobbs had something to do with their offensive numbers, though I'm sure he was helped greatly by MDeBo.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Ok, I get it now. Tennessee's offense directed itself. Thanks for the clarification.

Dobbs isn't Peyton Manning. And when the Vols had Peyton Manning, they didn't score touchdowns and points like they did this season.

You seriously believe this? He's a good QB, but good lord.
IU scored a bunch of points with Sudfield vs Lagow the major difference in IU vs the previous 2 years they suffered with the lose of their running back and quarterback it is a players game. To qoute Bear Bryant "I coached better when I had better players' How many offensive records did our new coach set at Michigan ???

Ok, I get it now. Tennessee's offense directed itself. Thanks for the clarification.

Dobbs isn't Peyton Manning. And when the Vols had Peyton Manning, they didn't score touchdowns and points like they did this season.
The game has changed vs when Peyton played and the QB position has changed the Rose Bowl this year was 52-49 last year's national championship game 45-40 and that is with Alabama and Clemson defenses the fact is most teams are scoring more. Let's see how he does with a non mobile Richard Lagow

Reactions: Chriselli
IU scored a bunch of points with Sudfield vs Lagow the major difference in IU vs the previous 2 years they suffered with the lose of their running back and quarterback it is a players game. To qoute Bear Bryant "I coached better when I had better players' How many offensive records did our new coach set at Michigan ???
Is your argument here that he didn't have talent at Michigan?

They went something like 12-0, 10-3, 10-3, 11-2, and 11-2 while he was there. He also spent his time there coaching under Lloyd Carr, who was never going to spread you out or speed you up. Also, his first stop there was in the 90s when very few teams were spreading you out.

I honestly don't even understand your argument. Every coach wants the best talent. Are you suggesting that Bear Bryant had nothing to do with his teams' success? Also, the run on sentences and spelling errrors don't help.

We wilł be getting a new SEZ scoreboard, but not until 2018. They're putting up a video board/audio system in the NEZ for this year, and it will remain as a secondary board in the future.

Reactions: CC Mac
Is your argument here that he didn't have talent at Michigan?

They went something like 12-0, 10-3, 10-3, 11-2, and 11-2 while he was there. He also spent his time there coaching under Lloyd Carr, who was never going to spread you out or speed you up. Also, his first stop there was in the 90s when very few teams were spreading you out.

I honestly don't even understand your argument. Every coach wants the best talent. Are you suggesting that Bear Bryant had nothing to do with his teams' success? Also, the run on sentences and spelling errrors don't help.
No but folks are making it sound like he is an offensive genius I watched Tennessee several times this year and if Rich Lagow had been their quarterback their average would have been in the 20's somewhere. I don't take time to proof read didn't know it was being graded graduated from IU with a 3.7 so I feel pretty comfortable with my ability.

No but folks are making it sound like he is an offensive genius I watched Tennessee several times this year and if Rich Lagow had been their quarterback their average would have been in the 20's somewhere. I don't take time to proof read didn't know it was being graded graduated from IU with a 3.7 so I feel pretty comfortable with my ability.
It's really hard to follow your argument, and the lack of punctuation doesn't help.

There's plenty of evidence to reflect that DeBord is a very good offensive coach and coordinator. What evidence do you have that he isn't?

that board was relatively new iirc.

how much did that video board cost, and how many games was it used for?

that said, while no doubt i'm in the minority, fine with me if we had no video board at all.

they are a huge buzzkill to the atmosphere in the stadium.

no matter where you put a big video screen, any room, outdoor space, wherever, and then run videos on it, that video screen becomes the dominant entity in whatever space it occupies, and sucks all the atmosphere out of everything else sharing that space, as it's just a magnet for peoples eyes and attention, even if they don't want it to be.

don't believe me?

put a gigantic video screen next to Victoria Falls, The Taj Mahal, the Grand Canyon, the Eiffel Tower, whatever, and that video screen will suck the eyeballs and attention away from even the most breathtaking of sights, and dominate/ruin the atmosphere that space would otherwise hold.

try to watch a movie when the guy next to or in front of you has their phone video screen on.

you can't ignore it, no matter how hard you try.

when accompanied by banter with turned up volume, it becomes even more irritating.

give me the basics on the PA, and let the band provide the music.

Last edited:

that said, while no doubt i'm in the minority, fine with me if we had no video board at all.

no matter where you put a big video screen, any room, outdoor space, wherever, and then run videos on it, that video screen becomes the dominant entity in whatever space it occupies, and sucks all the atmosphere out of everything else sharing that space, as it's just a magnet for peoples eyes and attention, even if they don't want it to be.

don't believe me?

put a gigantic video screen next to Victoria Falls, The Taj Mahal, the Grand Canyon, the Eiffel Tower, whatever, and that video screen will suck the eyeballs and attention away from even the most breathtaking of sights, and dominate/ruin the atmosphere that space would otherwise hold.

try to watch a movie when the guy next to or in front of you has their phone video screen on.

when accompanied by banter with turned up volume, it becomes even more irritating.

Very apt analogies.

Reactions: RBB89

don't believe me?

tl;dr

don't believe me?

To answer your question, the scoreboard was 7 years old. And yes, you are in the minority.

Reactions: turney333
To answer your question, the scoreboard was 7 years old. And yes, you are in the minority.

7 years? Are you sure? Thought it was newer tha that, one of the nicest I have seen in a college stadium.

don't believe me?

You make some interesting points but every stadium I have been in in the last 25 years has a large video board and they keep getting bigger and more expensive. I personally like them. Just wish they would show more replays. Some video with former players and coaches (Mallory) seem to really fire up the stadium. But you can never make everyone happy.

You make some interesting points but every stadium I have been in in the last 25 years has a large video board and they keep getting bigger and more expensive. I personally like them. Just wish they would show more replays. Some video with former players and coaches (Mallory) seem to really fire up the stadium. But you can never make everyone happy.
The old man in me makes me not like them. Too much silliness and not enough information and replays. Of course, the primary reason they're there is for the commercials. It's all about the money. (The basketball scoreboard is even worse with all the nonsense and advertising.)

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
The old man in me makes me not like them. Too much silliness and not enough information and replays. Of course, the primary reason they're there is for the commercials. It's all about the money. (The basketball scoreboard is even worse with all the nonsense and advertising.)
True - Show me the money!

Asst. AD on twitter says the board is in storage for now, and they're working on how best to use it/what to do with it.

Asst. AD on twitter says the board is in storage for now, and they're working on how best to use it/what to do with it.
Probably store out by the golf course where they have the old basketball hopes and scoreboard from AH. :)
maybe they should mount it on the back side of the west stands facing the parking lot so all those fan who left at 1/2 time can still watch the game from their tailgate. :)

Reactions: RBB89
Probably store out by the golf course where they have the old basketball hopes and scoreboard from AH. :)
maybe they should mount it on the back side of the west stands facing the parking lot so all those fan who left at 1/2 time can still watch the game from their tailgate. :)
Haha yeah. Thankfully FG saved those goals and scoreboard. They look great in the AH lobbies. Can't believe someone thought they should be left to rust.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT