ADVERTISEMENT

Parking Lots for IU football

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
Any preferred lots for parking selection in 2024?

We've usually gone with Gate 11. It's a haul from there to the stadium, but it's what we got lumped with originally and it's worked for us. Plus it's been relatively easy to access as we're coming from the north. Gate 11 has worked too because the grass medians and drive lanes seem pretty doable for tailgating.

Are the grass lots easy to get into and get out of? I like the grass, not really interested in the rowdy part, but really don't want parking access to slow us down. Time is frequently an issue for us.

Thoughts on Gates 2 and 4 for parking?

Grass parking is slow as molasses. Other than the beauty, the only component making it worth the ordeal is the rowdiness. If you don't like that, please stay on pavement. The worst is when people come to the grass and complain about people having fun. There are probably 15 lots to throw a ball with a little kid in...and the grass ain't it.

Any preferred lots for parking selection in 2024?

We've usually gone with Gate 11. It's a haul from there to the stadium, but it's what we got lumped with originally and it's worked for us. Plus it's been relatively easy to access as we're coming from the north. Gate 11 has worked too because the grass medians and drive lanes seem pretty doable for tailgating.

Are the grass lots easy to get into and get out of? I like the grass, not really interested in the rowdy part, but really don't want parking access to slow us down. Time is frequently an issue for us.

Thoughts on Gates 2 and 4 for parking?
I live on the east side of town so always get in gate 14. Easier in and out for me. From the northe I would think maybe 9 or 10 would be good.

Last year was our first for Season Tickets and we had the General Admissions for the Grass Lots. Getting into them was very slow for the most part. The real issue was the Rutgers game when we sat within sight of the lot for over an hour. Roads that were supposed to be blocked, cars were going around the barriers and the Cops directing traffic just sat there like they had no clue what was going on.

To their credit, the complaints were heard and the remaining games they had State Troopers doing the traffic, used vehicles to block the roads that should have been blocked and getting into the lots was easier. The traffic patterns for the games isn't bad, they just weren't following it and that Rutgers game.

We always stay to the end so getting out is never an issue. I like the Grass Lots even though we aren't big tailgaters. We usually parked, then walked over to campus and Kirkwood before the game.

The people parking the cars aren't always the best. The last game the guy was trying to get me to get so close to the car beside me that I wouldn't have been able to open my door.

This year it looks like you have to specify between the two GA Grass Lots so that may help going forward as well.

Due to commitments this year I can only purchase mini season tickets.
I just logged on to my account and read starting this year you can only purchase parking passes if you are a full season ticket holder.
Anyone know what’s going on with this?
I’m going to call the ticket ofiice and if they tell me I can’t buy a pass,I guess I’ll just purchase my tickets on a resale site.
Not buying tickets thru them if I can’t buy a parking pass to go along with it.
Ridiculous.

IU / Bloomington PD should talk with IMPD on how they do the Indy 500. We really shouldn’t have so many traffic issues for 40-50K attendance at a stadium with lots of room around it.

IU / Bloomington PD should talk with IMPD on how they do the Indy 500. We really shouldn’t have so many traffic issues for 40-50K attendance at a stadium with lots of room around it.
That was my thought too after the Rutgers game. It was better with the State Troopers for the most part. The overall published traffic patterns aren't really too bad but if the people directing traffic don't follow them or block the roads that people shouldn't be using then it blows up pretty quickly. My only grip was in leaving, when I left the grass lots and turned left to go to Fee Lane, they had a security person there but they literally just stood there and did nothing to help direct traffic. I referred to her as the Instagram Cop because I'm pretty sure all she did was sit there on her Phone scrolling Instagram while cars and people were trying to get out.

I actually like the grass reserved lots which I admit sometimes have a dual meaning. I have never had a traffic issue getting in. I take 15th off of Walnut and it jogs over to Indiana. You bypass the choke points. It does get full and it is hard to find spots if you get there late but I have always found a spot somewhere.

Due to commitments this year I can only purchase mini season tickets.
I just logged on to my account and read starting this year you can only purchase parking passes if you are a full season ticket holder.
Anyone know what’s going on with this?
I’m going to call the ticket ofiice and if they tell me I can’t buy a pass,I guess I’ll just purchase my tickets on a resale site.
Not buying tickets thru them if I can’t buy a parking pass to go along with it.
Ridiculous.
You can ususally buy stand alone passes on the secondary sites.

Last year was our first for Season Tickets and we had the General Admissions for the Grass Lots. Getting into them was very slow for the most part. The real issue was the Rutgers game when we sat within sight of the lot for over an hour. Roads that were supposed to be blocked, cars were going around the barriers and the Cops directing traffic just sat there like they had no clue what was going on.

To their credit, the complaints were heard and the remaining games they had State Troopers doing the traffic, used vehicles to block the roads that should have been blocked and getting into the lots was easier. The traffic patterns for the games isn't bad, they just weren't following it and that Rutgers game.

We always stay to the end so getting out is never an issue. I like the Grass Lots even though we aren't big tailgaters. We usually parked, then walked over to campus and Kirkwood before the game.

The people parking the cars aren't always the best. The last game the guy was trying to get me to get so close to the car beside me that I wouldn't have been able to open my door.

This year it looks like you have to specify between the two GA Grass Lots so that may help going forward as well.
Akron game, all 35,000 people who attended, seemed to all be going to grass lots 4 hours before game time. Took an hour and 20 minutes from 12th/Fess. Been parking in grass lots over 30 years. Never saw a bigger cluster Eff than that day. Again, for Akron!!! Just ridiculous!!!!

Akron game, all 35,000 people who attended, seemed to all be going to grass lots 4 hours before game time. Took an hour and 20 minutes from 12th/Fess. Been parking in grass lots over 30 years. Never saw a bigger cluster Eff than that day. Again, for Akron!!! Just ridiculous!!!!
Not a lot of consistency game to game. Most are ok but then bam a big miss.

Reactions: red hornet
Not a lot of consistency game to game. Most are ok but then bam a big miss.

Absolutely!! One given is the the railroad tracks create choke points from the campus side and it seems the powers that be are inconsistent in their strategies to flow traffic and how the officers are applying it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT