ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

Ukraine claiming to have destroyed a Russian tank in western Kyiv using a UK-supplied anti-tank weapon.

FWIW, BoJo is really looking good in this crisis. I bet his numbers skyrocket.

China's gauging world reaction. They have more to lose if they try to take Taiwan and become the world's pariah.

China is Russia's only real lifeline long term. Do we engage China in an attempt to further tighten sanctions from both ends on Russia or do you think they have little interest.
Personally, I would ignore China on this. They aren't going to help NATO and I don't think they want to get involved in Europe - that's Russia's area. I don't think there's a chance in hell they put sanctions on Russia.

I think you are exactly right - they're waiting to see world reaction.

Reactions: larsIU
Per The Guardian, this is unverified video of Ukraine's air defenses going crazy in Odessa.

Seeing videos like this, and remembering the graphs comparing the militaries people have already shared, I start to wonder...how real is the worry that Ukraine starts running out of arms?

Reactions: DANC
I agree it will not happen but we had dog fights against the USSR in Korea and Vietnam. There is precedent of them butting into our war to fight aerial battles without WW3.

And my favorite dog ever died this week. So I am in the mood to say screw it, let's see how brave Putin really is.
Damn. That's the worst. Sorry

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Per The Guardian, this is unverified video of Ukraine's air defenses going crazy in Odessa.

Seeing videos like this, and remembering the graphs comparing the militaries people have already shared, I start to wonder...how real is the worry that Ukraine starts running out of arms?
I don’t think Ukraine will run out of guns or bullets. Or rockets, etc. Might run out of places to hide. But that’s a LONG way off. If Russia doesn’t cut off the head in the few days or weeks the insurgency will dig in.

I don’t think Ukraine will run out of guns or bullets. Or rockets, etc. Might run out of places to hide. But that’s a LONG way off. If Russia doesn’t cut off the head in the few days or weeks the insurgency will dig in.
If they survive tonight maybe it'll give rise to negotiations - to save face on the part of Russia?

Reactions: IUclover
BTW, in case you missed it earlier, Ukraine's ambassador to the UN continued his dramatic assault on his Russian counterpart, asking for a moment of silence and prayer for those killed, and adding that the Russian ambassador should take the time to pray for his own salvation.

After the moment of silence, the chamber broke into applause.

If they survive tonight maybe it'll give rise to negotiations - to save face on the part of Russia?
I dunno. Putins speeches are UNHINGED ranting about neo-nazis taking over Kyiv and subjugating the Ukrainian people. How does that shit fly in the age of social media. Who are his audience?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I agree it will not happen but we had dog fights against the USSR in Korea and Vietnam. There is precedent of them butting into our war to fight aerial battles without WW3.

And my favorite dog ever died this week. So I am in the mood to say screw it, let's see how brave Putin really is.
Condolences, Marvin. Man’s best friend.

If the real objective is Kiev … the troops in Belarus will drive south on the next planned pretext. The Dnieper bridges aren’t needed for that.
The pretext was actually a declaration of war.
Russians secured Chernobyl and moved South.
Russians assaulting Kyiv now

So sorry about your pup. It’s truly one of the very hardest things ever.

Thank you for keeping this thread bipartisan and informative. I have a hard time watching the news during times like this, so it at least helps me know somewhat what’s happening.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucy01
Gen. Jack Keane said this morning, that the effort to liberate the Baltics, after losing them in short order, had to be launched from Poland in the Baltics‘ war game scenario. Were the Ukrainian campaign a cakewalk, I was pondering Poland from the South and East as Putin’s next logical target for it’s defiance of Putin.

The Russian Airforce’s underperformance in Ukraine to establish air superiority, and the (relative) effectiveness of the Ukrainian ground forces suggest (to me) that an invasion of Poland as a next step would be a disaster.

There won’t be enough strength left to make a pivot into Poland from the West and North. There may not be enough strength left for a dash across Belarus. The occupation force commitment in Ukraine will be too big — there will be too few Ukrainian collaborators take that chore over.

I hope we can get enough stand-off antitank weapons to Ukraine in time … but fear it will be to little to late. The barbarians are at the gate this morning

I liked this quote. And Finland’s dismissal of a threat should Finland join NATO.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Thursday that the alliance would defend its member states should Moscow launch an attack.

On Friday, he said NATO deployed its Response Force for collective security after Russian President Vladimir Putin threatened the alliance by telling it to withdraw forces from member nations or face consequences.

"This goes far beyond Ukraine," Stoltenberg said. "This is about how Russia is actually challenging, contesting core values for our security. Then warning that NATO should withdraw all forces and infrastructure from almost half of our members.

NATO has not engaged in the conflict and has not sent any troops to help defend Ukraine. On Thursday, President Biden said the United States could get involved should Russian forces move into NATO countries.

Citizen‘s fighting in the street with Molotov cocktails and AK 47s haven’t been seen for decades in Europe.
Let’s say the Nazi occupation of Poland.
How many epic videos of Russian Pros eliminating Ukrainian Amateurs will it take?
The Russian Pros crushed the German home guard in Berlin. Nobody in the US cared about that.

Russia invaded with too few troops to pull off what they anticipated.
Russian troops killed because of tactics that presumed no real resistance.
Putin has also closed the door to talks with Zelensky: “I will not talk with drug addicts and neo-Nazis”.
Sanctions

Reactions: larsIU
Putin has also closed the door to talks with Zelensky: “I will not talk with drug addicts and neo-Nazis”.
Sanctions
I get not wanting to talk to nazis, but can’t blame a guy for liking to party.

Sanctions

this seems premature. We really don’t know what their exact endgame is but Russia is surely accomplishing their short-term goal: Ukraine is in chaos and will be for awhile
Message sent to border countries: despite a lot of talk, the west can’t really defend you

Reactions: TMFT
this seems premature. We really don’t know what their exact endgame is but Russia is surely accomplishing their short-term goal: Ukraine is in chaos and will be for awhile
Message sent to border countries: despite a lot of talk, the west can’t really defend you
I got the opposite message: Putin looks pretty weak. Ukraine, a heavy underdog, is giving them a good fight. Outside support is pro-Ukraine, and will get stronger if this continues as is.
I wonder how the ruble will do.....if that sinks, mainstreet moscow goes against this.

I got the opposite message: Putin looks pretty weak. Ukraine, a heavy underdog, is giving them a good fight. Outside support is pro-Ukraine, and will get stronger if this continues as is.
I wonder how the ruble will do.....if that sinks, mainstreet moscow goes against this.
No one is weak when they have a finger on a nuke button.

Long term, I don’t disagree at all

Current situation.

Reactions: bub-rub

Putin reveals plan to dominate Europe beyond Ukraine: Neighbours Finland and Sweden are warned they will face 'military and political consequences' if they join NATO​

• Russia said if Finland and Sweden join NATO there will be 'serious repercussions'
  • Intelligence officials are worried Kyiv could fall within days after intense fighting
  • The spokeswoman of Putin's foreign affairs said: 'Finland and Sweden should not base their security on damaging the security of other countries'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT