ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

Cohen - “Putin has threatened to use nuclear weapons against anyone who aids Ukraine. Where is China? Why have they not condemned this?”
I took this to mean that tactical nuclear weapons would be employed on any military relief column entering Ukraine, and Not a capital city killing high-yield ballistic missle. In the MAD world, Moscow disappears too.

Familiarize yourself with an AK47, AR15, or my personal favorite, a Mini 14 rifle. My Mini 14 is a carbine style rifle that is beautiful, not a menacing looking tactical rifle which is why it's not outlawed in states such as California.

I bought it in the fall and am still practicing with it/becoming proficient with it. In times like these, it's prudent to at least own and become familiar with a rifle.

Putin reveals plan to dominate Europe beyond Ukraine: Neighbours Finland and Sweden are warned they will face 'military and political consequences' if they join NATO​

• Russia said if Finland and Sweden join NATO there will be 'serious repercussions'
  • Intelligence officials are worried Kyiv could fall within days after intense fighting
  • The spokeswoman of Putin's foreign affairs said: 'Finland and Sweden should not base their security on damaging the security of other countries'

I listened to a general this morning on CNN saying Putin doesn't have enough soldiers to take and hold Kiev. He said trying to fight in an urban area is really difficult and would take a lot more troops than he has available. You would think that someone who was born in St. Petersburg would know better than to find yourself in this position.

Zelensky said that Ukraine would be interested in peace talks but not as Putin had planned in Belarus. He has sought out Israel's assistance in hosting such a summit.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU
Familiarize yourself with an AK47, AR15, or my personal favorite, a Mini 14 rifle. My Mini 14 is a carbine style rifle that is beautiful, not a menacing looking tactical rifle which is why it's not outlawed in states such as California.

I bought it in the fall and am still practicing with it/becoming proficient with it. In times like these, it's prudent to at least own and become familiar with a rifle.
You plan on joining up or something?

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Nightfall in Ukraine … Ukraine held off the Russians last night.
… I think the underdog holds them off tonight too.

If people don’t know how awesome Javelins are I suggest watching some YouTube videos. Hard to imagine a better piece of weaponry.

Those things in a flat country like Ukraine would be a real problem for armored columns.

Vindman was on MSNBC and made an interesting, if not overly optimistic, point that the Russian logistics/supply chain is being stretched and that it’s possible they get royally effed in the A if the Ukrainians are able to cut those lines and put the Russians in a desperate spot. My biggest concern there is that the Russian leadership could start getting desperate and deploying some very bad weapons that cause the international community to decide to shut down the ride and this thing escalated exponentially.

Maybe but he’s a multimillionaire who doesn’t have to be there and he’s choosing to fight. Has to be great for morale too.
Same for the president. He’s fixin to die, but that’s the only way to keep up morale among all men 16-60 he’s asking/demanding to do the same.

Reactions: Cortez88
You know this is eating Putin up inside. He wants to be seen as this strongman fighting a bear and riding a horse shirtless. But it’s this young comedian from Ukraine who is showing the world what a strongman looks like.
Putin‘s plump head looks like he has congestive heart failure with the fluids collecting in his skull.

Seems like it has about as much kick as a spitball.
Top attack delivers a plasma jet to the thinner armor on the top-deck.. it won’t bounce off the front of the tank. It’s a great equalizer when you don’t have a 30 mm Gatling on a tactical air support fixed wing or helicopter.
The war will be over when Ukraine runs out of rounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin#Warhead

Javelin is a fire-and-forget missile with lock-on before launch and automatic self-guidance. The system takes a top-attack flight profile against armored vehicles (attacking the top armor, which is generally thinner), but can also take a direct-attack mode for use against buildings, targets inside the minimum top-attack engagement range, and targets under obstructions. The missile also has the ability to engage helicopters in the direct attack mode.[7]

It can reach a peak altitude of 150 m (490 ft) in top-attack mode and 60 m (200 ft) in direct-fire mode. It is equipped with an imaging infrared seeker. The tandem warhead is fitted with two shaped charges: a precursor warhead to detonate any explosive reactive armor and a primary warhead to penetrate base armor.

Warhead[edit]​

Missile components

A Javelin fired by U.S. soldier in Jordan during Eager Lion 2019
The Javelin missile's tandem warhead is a HEAT type.[7] This round utilizes an explosive shaped charge to create a stream of superplastically deformed metal formed from trumpet-shaped metallic liners. The result is a narrow high velocity particle stream that can penetrate armor.

The Javelin counters the advent of explosive reactive armor (ERA). ERA boxes or tiles lying over a vehicle's main armor explode when struck by a warhead. This explosion does not harm the vehicle's main armor, but causes steel panels to fly across the path of a HEAT round's narrow particle stream, disrupting its focus and leaving it unable to cut through the main armor. The Javelin uses two shaped-charge warheads in tandem. The weak, smaller diameter HEAT precursor charge detonates the ERA thus clearing the way for the much larger diameter HEAT warhead, which then penetrates the target's primary armor.

Same for the president. He’s fixin to die, but that’s the only way to keep up morale among all men 16-60 he’s asking/demanding to do the same.
Watching protests and parades around the world. The president and citizens and boxing bros are inspirational - galvanizing world support.

When we/others send supplies/arms how does that work? Is that something that takes a week? Hours? How do they even get in?

Reactions: Bill4411 and TMFT
I read earlier today that both brothers had served in the Ukrainian military previously. One thing g I’ve got certain learned through all this is those people over there (from commoner to head of state) are dragging around big ol sets of balls.
To steal a quote, these people are not descended from fearful men. I have an incredible amount of respect for all of them.

You can find pictures and stories of Macron's meeting with Putin earlier this month. IF Putin has gone around the bend, and I am still not sure it isn't an act to scare NATO, then his generals must be warned that they should not escalate a war they cannot win.

Reactions: bub-rub
The phase where it kinda just pops out of the launch tube and then goes supersonic into the sky gives me full chub.
Is the Javelin re-usable? The LAW in the 70s was a 1-shot deal and not re-usable.

You can find pictures and stories of Macron's meeting with Putin earlier this month. IF Putin has gone around the bend, and I am still not sure it isn't an act to scare NATO, then his generals must be warned that they should not escalate a war they cannot win.
It’s very likely that Putin doesn’t control all the generals.

Macron needs to convince Russians to replace their vodka with wine and raise their nation back up to its cultural and intellectual heights.

Top attack delivers a plasma jet to the thinner armor on the top-deck.. it won’t bounce off the front of the tank. It’s a great equalizer when you don’t have a 30 mm Gatling on a tactical air support fixed wing or helicopter.
The war will be over when Ukraine runs out of rounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin#Warhead

Javelin is a fire-and-forget missile with lock-on before launch and automatic self-guidance. The system takes a top-attack flight profile against armored vehicles (attacking the top armor, which is generally thinner), but can also take a direct-attack mode for use against buildings, targets inside the minimum top-attack engagement range, and targets under obstructions. The missile also has the ability to engage helicopters in the direct attack mode.[7]

It can reach a peak altitude of 150 m (490 ft) in top-attack mode and 60 m (200 ft) in direct-fire mode. It is equipped with an imaging infrared seeker. The tandem warhead is fitted with two shaped charges: a precursor warhead to detonate any explosive reactive armor and a primary warhead to penetrate base armor.

Warhead[edit]​

Missile components

A Javelin fired by U.S. soldier in Jordan during Eager Lion 2019
The Javelin missile's tandem warhead is a HEAT type.[7] This round utilizes an explosive shaped charge to create a stream of superplastically deformed metal formed from trumpet-shaped metallic liners. The result is a narrow high velocity particle stream that can penetrate armor.

The Javelin counters the advent of explosive reactive armor (ERA). ERA boxes or tiles lying over a vehicle's main armor explode when struck by a warhead. This explosion does not harm the vehicle's main armor, but causes steel panels to fly across the path of a HEAT round's narrow particle stream, disrupting its focus and leaving it unable to cut through the main armor. The Javelin uses two shaped-charge warheads in tandem. The weak, smaller diameter HEAT precursor charge detonates the ERA thus clearing the way for the much larger diameter HEAT warhead, which then penetrates the target's primary armor.
It’s probably the greatest weapon the infantry carries. The only other weapon in the conversation are 81mm mortars.

javelins are more portable than stingers and more useful since we hardly ever face enemy air power. The javelins are useful at blowing all sorts of shit up and kills a tank every time.

It’s probably the greatest weapon the infantry carries. The only other weapon in the conversation are 81mm mortars.

javelins are more portable than stingers and more useful since we hardly ever face enemy air power. The javelins are useful at blowing all sorts of shit up and kills a tank every time.
That's exactly what they just said on the news re javelins. Ranger - Germany is sending a bunch of weapons now. They said asap. What does that typically mean? Days? And how do they get the weapons in? Do Germans deliver them, by way of example? Are they met at the boarder?

Anecdotal: Mo Creek has been tweeting through all of this and had an interview on Fox. He is stuck in Ukraine and admittedly scared. Evidently league was still playing and didn’t want players to leave. Anyway, he was so excited he was leaving this morning, but then sirens started going off again, so was afraid he’d be delayed. Really brings the stories home. Praying for his safe return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT